getting off the Diazepam

[Ol...]

Hi Oleander,

I'm sorry about your poor puppy, we hate it when our babies are sick.  :(  I'm glad the blood test issue has been resolved, so you're not going to change your direction?  I can't believe you're down to 7 mgs already, good grief, you're amazing.  I'm glad you're sleeping so well, store it up for when your studies go into high gear!

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ol...]

• [Pa...]

• [ro...]

• [as...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Pam,

My dog is much, much better right now.  We have her on the yucky steroids for another 3 weeks but she is not miserable for now so we are good.  We'll see how her new injection amounts work soon.  I am sleeping pretty good.  I am thinking of going down to 5mg next time.  Maybe this weekend or next week.  I don't really feel any difference.  So far so good.  We'll see.  Big snow storms coming tonight and all weekend so I am doing some online Christmas shopping and homework.  Easy weekend.  Finals are in a couple weeks and I am pretty ready.  I don't think I can get a B unless I don't show up for a final.  That makes it a little easier to relax.  Have a great weekend.

Oleander

Hi Oleander,

Glad to hear pup is doing better, I have a 12 year old who I'm giving a series of Adequan injections to, it's supposed to help take arthritis pain away. 

You're going to be off of the Valium in no time at all, I mentioned you to another member we have who is doing some big cuts because he's on a high dose.  He's pretty wrapped up in getting his Phd, I wondered if having to be focused on things other than withdrawal symptoms might be beneficial?  Good job on doing so well grade wise, you'll ace the final, I just know it!

Pam,

Sorry about your dog.  My mom had to put her cat down today.  It was really hard for her.  He was 19 years old but yesterday he couldn't open his eyes and can't walk and has diabetes.  I got her to stop crying because she rescued that cat when it was a kitten and he had a great long life and wouldn't want to be in pain anymore.  He stopped eating and drinking.  That's the sign.  My friends sometimes think I am crazy because of all of my dogs allergy problems.  We have spent a small fortune on her but she is really doing better on the steroids.  I am not a fan of them but if it can do a bit of good for now and break an allergy cycle, I am okay.  We got a lot of snow on the ground now so she gets better since grass is the worst for her.  Boy we love our pets.  Good luck with the arthritis. 

You might be right about being focused on other things but I actually think I just got lucky.  I went down to 5mg tonight so we will see how it goes in the next few days.  I would like to be off of it all but there have been times  I go faster and times I go slower.  I guess I just feel if I can do it or not and hope I am right.  Geez, that doesn't sound like science to me.  Thanks for all your encouraging words.  They mean a lot.  This is not something I can talk to anyone about except my immediate family but they don't understand like you do.

Oleander

Hi Keryn,

The tapering seems to be doing well.  I just went down to 5mg diazepam and take it all at night.  This is only my first night.  I was on 7mg but really felt okay.  I actually took a nap today.  Just in the middle of the day I took a 2 hour nap.  I am not much of a napper, except when I was on a ton of diazepam all day long.  It felt real, not drug induced and I felt so rested and great.  I have been trying to go to bed at the same time each night to get on a schedule but went out for dinner and a late movie so I am a little off today but starting to feel tired.

How is your tapering going for you?  Hope you are feeling well.  I think this time of year is so stressful and I usually do a lot during Christmas but not this year.  I am shopping online and not sending out the ton of Christmas cards I usually do.  I guess I am just being a bit selfish this year.  I think we have to be to get out of this. 

I am glad that I have more than enough pills to last me to the end and don't have to see my psychiatrist again.  I got a new GP and she was really upset to hear about how much I was prescribed by my psychiatrist but was really happy to hear that I am tapering down.  She seemed interested in the whole Ashton thing.  Glad I found her.  Oh, and I stopped seeing my CBT.  I just felt like I wasn't learning anything new.  I think I just have to practice what we worked on and sleeping is getting better.  Speaking of sleeping, better get to sleep.

Take care and talk to you soon!

Oleander

[27...]

Hi Keryn,

The tapering seems to be doing well.  I just went down to 5mg diazepam and take it all at night.  This is only my first night.  I was on 7mg but really felt okay.  I actually took a nap today.  Just in the middle of the day I took a 2 hour nap.  I am not much of a napper, except when I was on a ton of diazepam all day long.  It felt real, not drug induced and I felt so rested and great.  I have been trying to go to bed at the same time each night to get on a schedule but went out for dinner and a late movie so I am a little off today but starting to feel tired.

How is your tapering going for you?  Hope you are feeling well.  I think this time of year is so stressful and I usually do a lot during Christmas but not this year.  I am shopping online and not sending out the ton of Christmas cards I usually do.  I guess I am just being a bit selfish this year.  I think we have to be to get out of this. 

I am glad that I have more than enough pills to last me to the end and don't have to see my psychiatrist again.  I got a new GP and she was really upset to hear about how much I was prescribed by my psychiatrist but was really happy to hear that I am tapering down.  She seemed interested in the whole Ashton thing.  Glad I found her.  Oh, and I stopped seeing my CBT.  I just felt like I wasn't learning anything new.  I think I just have to practice what we worked on and sleeping is getting better.  Speaking of sleeping, better get to sleep.

Take care and talk to you soon!

Oleander

The tapering seems to be doing well.  I just went down to 5mg diazepam and take it all at night. 

Glad it's going good for you, you have came a long ways, keep going ;)

How is your tapering going for you?  Hope you are feeling well.

I'm doing ok, just stabilizing from the last cut, I'm not posting my cuts, when I'm finished, everyone will know as I will post it, I've been cutting faster than I was though..

Oh, I'm doing my shopping online too. I usually use Amazon, and just send gifts out via mail after the order, I have family 900 miles from me.. so I have done this many times.

How is school going for you?

Keryn.

Hi Keryn,

I know what you mean about family far away.  We have 8 out of state gifts to get.  The rest are in town and will see on XMAS Eve.  I like to put down the cuts.  I didn't at first in the summer but then I felt like I wanted to see how quick each cut was working out.  How much are you on now?  Glad it's going faster than you thought.  Me too.  I figured it would take me a year to be off the stuff but now I think I will make it in half a year.  That's still a long time and really glad not to see that doctor again.  School is going well.  Almost done with this semester.  YEAH!!!  How's things going with you?

Oleander

[27...]

Hi Keryn,

I know what you mean about family far away.  We have 8 out of state gifts to get.  The rest are in town and will see on XMAS Eve.  I like to put down the cuts.  I didn't at first in the summer but then I felt like I wanted to see how quick each cut was working out.  How much are you on now?  Glad it's going faster than you thought.  Me too.  I figured it would take me a year to be off the stuff but now I think I will make it in half a year.  That's still a long time and really glad not to see that doctor again.  School is going well.  Almost done with this semester.  YEAH!!!  How's things going with you?

Oleander

I'm doing ok Oleander,

Yes I've been cutting quicker too.

I'm glad school is going well for you.. and good that your taper is going well.

Keryn.

What a long week.  Got all my Christmas gifts.  I decided to blow off sending out Christmas cards this year.  I still have to wrap the gifts and mail some of them out.  I am glad my hubby is taking off some time from work.  We aren't going on vacation.  We decided against getting out of town and will probably do a vacation during spring break.  That's fine with me.  I decided to go down from 5mg diazepam to 4 mg diazepam.  It's 20% decrease but I don't think it's really doing much for me anymore.  I think it's much more psychological.  I am still using what my CBT taught me.  I have finals this week so it's kind of stressful but glad I will have some time off after this week. 

Good call about the vacation, you know they can be stressful too, and since you've got a lot going on, it's good you decided to hold off.  It won't be long until you're benzo free, gees you've done such a great job!  I hope you get your wrapping and mailing taken care of, so you can concentrate on finals.  You're one person I won't worry about thinking they need that little pill, you're going to kick it to the curb and not look back!  :thumbsup:

Thanks Pam.  I don't know how to cut at this point.  I hate cutting pills in half but if I get rid of one of my 2mg, I am going down by 50%.  That sounds crazy so I will cut it in half but then it's going down 25%.  I really think it's psychological at this point.  My hubby said if I feel the need to take a pill when I finally get off of this stuff he will give me a Tic Tac.  NICE.  LOL.  I don't really think the 4mg is helping me sleep.  I think I learned that from CBT.  I don't want any SX but haven't really had any.  Just a little confused on my next move.  I have a month off till my next semester starting tomorrow after my last final.  It would be great to be off before then but I don't need any sx for sure.  Gosh, what to do??

Oleander

sounds like you are doing really well.  congrats! but be careful about going too fast.  i c/o to valium from kp and then tried cutting down 0.5mg a week off of 7.5 mg.  i was not totally stabilized but felt alright.  anyway i got into a bad place, very sick and suicidal, and it took me awhile to stabilize.  if you want to get thru the next semester without many sxs, then i would suggest sticking with the rate that works for you.  and then get off.  i had to drop all my classes because of the valium w/d.  it has been sheer hell.  but i also ended up tapering really fast off of 7mg.  so, every body is different.  but it has taken me 2 months since my last dose to get to a point where i feel like i could handle even one class.  and i am in good physical shape and have been doing all the healthiest things i can think of during this w/d.  i just wanted to caution you on this.  so glad you are getting free!  :thumbsup:

Thanks Pam.  I don't know how to cut at this point.  I hate cutting pills in half but if I get rid of one of my 2mg, I am going down by 50%.  That sounds crazy so I will cut it in half but then it's going down 25%.  I really think it's psychological at this point.  My hubby said if I feel the need to take a pill when I finally get off of this stuff he will give me a Tic Tac.  NICE.  LOL.  I don't really think the 4mg is helping me sleep.  I think I learned that from CBT.  I don't want any SX but haven't really had any.  Just a little confused on my next move.  I have a month off till my next semester starting tomorrow after my last final.  It would be great to be off before then but I don't need any sx for sure.  Gosh, what to do??

Oleander

I have no idea what to tell you to do, but the good thing is I know you'll make the right choice without any input from me.  You've been doing this your way all along, so you go girl!  No Tic Tacs, you don't need no stinking pills!  >:(

I have no idea what to tell you to do, but the good thing is I know you'll make the right choice without any input from me.  You've been doing this your way all along, so you go girl!  No Tic Tacs, you don't need no stinking pills!  >:(

I agree Pam!!!

LOL.  Guess I will figure it out as I go along.  I think I am going to make some smaller cuts.  I feel really tense today and hope it's because of my final tomorrow.  It feels a little bit like when I went c/t but no where near as severe.  It feels like some anxiety.  I usually don't feel anxious but do today.  It's after 10pm and I am not tired at all.  At least the final isn't until noon.  I have to say that before today I have felt great every time I cut.  I actually kept feeling better, more like ME.  The me I haven't seen for a long time.  I guess this too shall pass.

sounds like you are doing really well.  congrats! but be careful about going too fast.  i c/o to valium from kp and then tried cutting down 0.5mg a week off of 7.5 mg.  i was not totally stabilized but felt alright.  anyway i got into a bad place, very sick and suicidal, and it took me awhile to stabilize.  if you want to get thru the next semester without many sxs, then i would suggest sticking with the rate that works for you.  and then get off.  i had to drop all my classes because of the valium w/d.  it has been sheer hell.  but i also ended up tapering really fast off of 7mg.  so, every body is different.  but it has taken me 2 months since my last dose to get to a point where i feel like i could handle even one class.  and i am in good physical shape and have been doing all the healthiest things i can think of during this w/d.  i just wanted to caution you on this.  so glad you are getting free!   :thumbsup:

Thanks for the caution.  I am not totally stabilized for the first day.  I am going to stay at this amount for a bit and I guess I am going to have to use a pill cutter to make smaller cuts.  I guess I was in a rush I don't need to be in.  I got a lot out of my system already so that's pretty good progress.  Congrats to you!!!

I'm glad you've had some much positive reinforcement as you've tapered, the return of "you" is powerful motivation, no wonder you've been pushing through this.  Hopefully this last little bit will go uneventfully.

So far, so good.  I am taking 4 mg and feeling fine and sleeping about 8 hours.  I stayed up too late last night but made up for it by sleeping in today.  School is done for the semester so I have a bit of time off for Christmas.  I find that I wake up a couple times a night but am able to kind of "get in the zone" of relaxing and not stressing about anything and I fall back to sleep.  I could never do that in the past.  It is weird to get yourself back after being gone for so long.

Weird day today.  Forgot to take my 4mg of Diazepam last night and was able to sleep.  Freaky to forget but can't believe I fell asleep.  I was worried when I woke up that I might get s/x so I took it then.  Then I fell back to sleep.  I even took a 2 and a half hour nap during the day.  I never nap.  I got back on schedule for tonight but now I am not sleepy at all and it's midnight.  So glad I don't have too much to do tomorrow.  I think I will stay on the 4mg diazepam till after Christmas and then think about how I am going to cut.  Not sure if I want to go to 3mg or if I can cut to 3.5mg.  That might be hard to do.  I really want to do this the easiest way.  Not sure what that is but I think I will wing it like I have been.  So far, pretty good but for sure don't want to get off schedule again.

Oleander

Wow, sounds like you messed up your schedule, don't you hate not being able to sleep at night?  I wanted to thank you for looking in on some of our other Buddies who are tapering Valium, it helps to hear from someone as successful as you.  We just don't have that many members doing Valium tapers, so you need to stick together.  :thumbsup:

[27...]

Oleander, Hi

Yes I have been off schedule but I continue to go on the way before that.

I have to say the last couple of weeks have been pretty good for me, I keep my mind off withdrawal sometimes, that helps...

I think finding something productive helps.. distraction so on..

you're doing good.

Keryn.

Pamster,

Yep, I messed that up alright!!  lol.  Got back on track and feel better and a year older today  :(  lol.  But I am having a nice dinner out at a new restaurant and some presents and CAKE.  What could be better than cake.  I would write to more people tapering but I feel like I shouldn't tell people what to do and try to just be supportive since I think a lot of people have had it worse than me.  I don't want to send the message that everyone should have no problem because it seems like s/x are the norm, really.  It was easier cutting when I was at a higher dose, for sure.  I really think the c/o to Valium was the only way for me but might not be for a lot of people.  I once tried going off of Xanax and Klonopin by cutting it by .5mg every few days per my doc and I had the worst interdose withdrawal and I went right back to where I was really fast until I found the Ashton Method.  I think the longer half life really works for me.  Well that is when I actually take them.  lol.  I am not going to forget again but at least I know that the small amt I am on now isn't making me fall asleep.  I am doing that by myself.  BUT don't want symptoms so I am going to hold here for a bit.  I thought I would get off the rest while on Christmas break but it turns out the last bit are the hardest to get rid of.

Oleander

Hey there Keryn,

Yep, got back on track.  That was an oops.  lol.  I agree about distractions.  I am on break from school right now and got all my Christmas stuff done so I don't have as many distractions right now.  I thought that would be a good time to cut but I am finding the last 4mg to be okay right now and will probably stick to them for a bit.  I got off 56mg in 6months so not in a hurry.  I will be done when I am done.  It's not a race, it's a marathon. 

Oleander

Got a weird question:  I am feeling much better now except at night last night I woke up soaking wet like I did when I had interdose withdrawals when I cut .5 Xanax every 3 days like doc wanted me to.  This was  before I read up on Ashton method.  I am wondering if the interdose w/d is a sign to stay put or to cut again??  I feel really good all the other times in the day.  Just this weird night thing.  If it's a sign to stay put, will they go away once my body becomes used to the 4mg or is it telling me to move on to 3.5mg or 3mg or something like that?  I was fine cutting all the time in the last 6 months but now it's getting confusing because each cut now is a huge percentage more since there isn't much yet.  I would also like to cut a bit more since I am off school and don't have any real responsibility for the next 3 weeks.  Any ideas anyone?????

Thanks for your help.

Oleander