Important Survey - Please Participate ×

getting off the Diazepam

[Ol...]

Tough question Oleander, I've heard many folks talk about how difficult it gets when tapers get to this stage, as a result they slow things way down.  I'm not sure if that's the correct option because it looks to me as if they're just prolonging their misery.  Of course, my judgment is clouded by the fact that I quit cold turkey, so my first thought is always, just jump. 

The one thing I wouldn't advise though is to make a decision based only on a one night experience.  Give it a few days to see if this appears to be a trend and hopefully by that time, you'll know if you should stay or reduce.  Try not to think about this 3 weeks you've got off, that will just put pressure on you and that's not good.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ol...]

• [Pa...]

• [ro...]

• [as...]

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, a tough question.  i will say that 3 weeks is not enough time, judging from my own experience, to get over this mess before going back to school.  everyone is different though and you have been on valium quite a while so there is plenty in your system.

i think you should keep the % that you cut consistent and the rate at which you do that cut consistent.  that way you will hopefully avoid the really extreme w/d symptoms that i and many others have experienced.  then again i know what it feels like to just want to be free of it.  i had to put everything on hold to get off this stuff.  if you can do that then that may be the right way for you to go but it looks like you will need to be in class in 3 weeks so be cautious.

just take your time if you need to be in school.  if you can take off from school next semester then maybe you should just get off of it.  that is assuming you have support from family or friends or an excellent doctor.  the faster you get off the quicker the true healing will happen.  it took me 6 weeks to start feeling ok and to start sleeping better.  i still have symptoms at 9 weeks but it is tolerable and pretty minor really compared to what i went through the first few weeks.

Hi Pam,

I guess this question is pretty hard to answer.  I don't know what the heck I was looking for.  A sign maybe.  lol.  I know that 3 week mark is a little insane.  I was going at such a good speed and cutting more when I was not as busy and less when busy.  I am SO not busy for a whole 3 weeks.  It seems like a lot of time but really it isn't with this tiny amount left.  It's not really that tiny but sure is compared to the 60 mg I was on in the summer.  I did get a congrats from my eye doctor today.  When I told her what I was on she seemed really upset my doc put me on it.  LOL  She only takes care of my eyes.  But she can't believe I could get so low as I am now.  I am happy about it and I agree with you, my first instinct is to JUMP.  I still don't have any idea how you were able to jump cold turkey.  That seems super amazing after the 4 day cold turkey I had with the Xanax and the Klonopin.  I literally had to hold on to my bed because I thought I the Earth was going to swallow me up if I didn't.  I am glad that I have that memory but not the feeling.  I was able to cold turkey the Xanax but glad I stayed on the Klonopin and glad I c/o to the Diazepam.  It really doesn't feel like it's helping me sleep or anything at this amount of mg.  I think it is also a lot psychological.  Like the song says, Should I Stay or Should I Go???  LOLOL  I have figured out the last 6 months so I guess I will figure out the rest as it comes.  WOW, hard for me since I am such a planner.  This is NOT something you can plan.  I read of people who cut every 7 days or some sort of schedule.  I found I had to schedule it around my life to make sure it was the best life I could have.  This has been one of the biggest learning lessons of patience for me.  Man, I never had much!!  I am learning now.  Thanks for all your help.  I'll just see how the next few days go.  I have a quiet Christmas coming up so that might be a good time but I guess time will tell.......

Oleander

Hi Ashlandana,

Thanks for your reply.  First of all I wanted to congratulate you on getting off this poison!!!  :thumbsup:  FANTASTIC!!!  I hope to be there soon.  But secondly, I can't postpone school.  It is a program and set up.  No going back on that.  I was able to have the summer off so I was able to get off a bunch of the benzos then but I had to kind of taper around my schedule this semester.  It took my forever to get into this program and it was a decision I made before I figured out what all these benzos would do.  It is my second bachelor's program.  If I don't do it now, who knows when I could and who knows if I could make it in again.  It is a BSN program and my second career, hopefully.  I do thank you for letting me in on your experience near the end.  It seems complicated compared to earlier with not a lot left.  I am still not sure if I had some s/x for the first time because I forgot to take my 4mg on 2 separate occasions.  I took them in the morning after I forgot at night.  It really messed me up but I wonder if it was psychological.  You are right, I have enough in my system that it shouldn't really matter.  I think I will just see how it goes and cut when I feel really comfortable.  I guess there really isn't an answer.  I do have a great support system.  My husband is really, really patient and understanding.  He really knows what I am going through and has helped me along the way but we both are a little concerned about starting at a new school and getting off the rest of this.  I like to see the numbers go down.  It gives me motivation but I really should just look at where I was and know I will get there.  I am a stubborn girl.  LOL.  Thanks and congrats again.  It's good to know that this can be done!!!

Oleander

you are doing so well with this.  and i agree that you should take it slow given the program you are in.  better to get through that with as little stress possible.  you will still get off this stuff.  just keep watching the numbers go down but don't put pressure on yourself to go faster.  your BSN program sounds like a great focus and i am sure you want to put all you have into it.  like i said, the valium will be gone from your life eventually and when that is, is not the greatest concern in your situation.  i am in a 2nd bachelor's program too but it is more of a personal interest than a career move.  regardless, i had to drop a bunch of classes in the fall and lost thousands of dollars because of this benzo ordeal.  not fun.  it is what it is and for me, i am glad now that i just got off this poison.  you will too but you don't need to lose tons of money and course time in the process!  best of luck  :smitten:

It's good to hear your thoughts on all of this, oftentimes we just have time for a quick wrap up, but I can see just how much this has impacted your life.  This 3 weeks seems to be giving you some trouble, time on your hands to actually think about your symptoms and to bring up some fear.  We know a big part of your success these last few months was your determination to follow your dream, come hell, high water or benzo's, so coming to an abrupt stop for Christmas vacation may have taken the wind out of your sails.  I hope you can find a way to get that breeze blowing again.  ;)

Hey Pamster,

You may be right.  Too much time on my hands might not be a good thing.  Well I have really thought about it and feel some anxiety about cutting again. For some reason, whether it be psychological or physical, I am having a problem with this last bit in me.  I have had a bit of interdose withdrawals and they just haven't been fun.  Everyday more of this stuff is leaving me.  I need to make a jump to 3 mg and I am just going to find the right day to do it.  I do have my hubby home for a week so I don't really want to ruin his few days off.  I am not even going to think about when until next week.  We are keeping a bit busy and have the next few days planned.  That's when I am at my best, having stuff planned to do.  Next week, when I am alone with my thoughts I will decide when.  I am not going to focus on the 3 week deal.  I really had a long talk with my husband about my feelings, thoughts, fears of jumping the little bit I have left.  I just want to know we are for sure on the same page.  He understands there is a chance I might not be at my best during that time.  Glad we are on the same page.  It makes it easier to know that I have someone who is not only on my side but really gets it as much as he can "get it."  So I will be moving in the right direction when it is the right time.  Happy New Year!!!!  Have a great holiday.

Oleander

Hi Oleander:

I have read through your postings and you are one tough benzo warrior!  Tapering down from 60 mg. of valium to now 4 mg!!  You deserve a gold star and the moon to be where you are. 

Hoping we can support each other in getting off this wicked stuff.  I am down to 2.5 mg. valium -- but did not start at 60 mg.  Are you taking anything else to help get off the valium?  I am taking mag citrate, melatonin, and GABA at bedtime (with the poison).  And taking Taurine twice per day in between meals.  So far, so good.  I want to continue with .5 mg. cuts and maybe slow down a little at 1 mg.  What is your plan? 

Have you been feeling some improvement in fatique and sleep since getting down in your dose?  I have noticed more energy during the day -- I went on two hikes this week before snow came in today.  I didn't have to stop and rest when going up a hill.  I still wake up several times a nite but that started when I got on Ambien and then added some ativan. 

Here's to us making it off this stuff in early 2011!!

Take care and keep me posted.

Rocko

Hi Oleander:

I have read through your postings and you are one tough benzo warrior!  Tapering down from 60 mg. of valium to now 4 mg!!  You deserve a gold star and the moon to be where you are. 

Hoping we can support each other in getting off this wicked stuff.  I am down to 2.5 mg. valium -- but did not start at 60 mg.   Are you taking anything else to help get off the valium?  I am taking mag citrate, melatonin, and GABA at bedtime (with the poison).  And taking Taurine twice per day in between meals.  So far, so good.  I want to continue with .5 mg. cuts and maybe slow down a little at 1 mg.  What is your plan? 

Have you been feeling some improvement in fatique and sleep since getting down in your dose?  I have noticed more energy during the day -- I went on two hikes this week before snow came in today.  I didn't have to stop and rest when going up a hill.  I still wake up several times a nite but that started when I got on Ambien and then added some ativan. 

Here's to us making it off this stuff in early 2011!!

Take care and keep me posted.

Rocko

Hi Rocko,

It has been a long time with this battle.  I have been lucky to not have any real symptoms until now.  Well unless you count before I got off the Xanax and Klonopin.  That was a bad time.  I had no idea how crazy this stuff is.  I had a lot of problems with being angry at my doctors and being angry with myself for getting on so much of this stuff.  I was mad that I just listened to doctors and didn't research enough of this.  But I went cold turkey for 4 days and then I knew I needed to figure out how to get off of this stuff safely.  I went cold turkey on the 2mg of Xanax and kept the 3 mg of Klonopin.  Then I switched the Klonopin to the 60mg of Valium.  What a great relief it was to be on the valium.  I was so tired.  I slept and slept.  I loved being tired really because I was on these drugs for insomnia.  To not have insomnia was the best feeling in the world. 

Now that I am down to 4 mg I find that I am waking up, not sleeping as well.  I am dreaming so I am hitting REM sleep but probably not deeper than that.  I really don't complain much about being hot, then cold, then hot at night.  I have felt some anxiety but keep as busy as I can.  I just feel lucky because I have read much, much worse so I know how bad it could be.

I am not taking anything else.  I have been on them all for sleep issues.  Ambien was like candy to me.  lol.  It didn't do a thing after awhile and I quit that.  I was on trazadone, got off of that.  It didn't seem to do much.  I was on Seraquil for one night.  My legs felt paralyzed.  That stuff scared me.  I have tried other things but nothing really worked till the Xanax and when that didn't work anymore I just got more of it and then got the Klonopin and more of that as time went on.  I really started to have interdose withdrawals with that even at that high amount I was at.  I had no idea what those even were.  Then while studying to become a nurse (Go Figure!) I came across some info and then researched more and more and couldn't stop and then I figured I was in a big old mess.  My husband had no idea how I could be addicted to drugs.  I was scared and confused.  I found this place and found the Ashton Method and tweaked it a bit to find what would work.

My plan has been to work off the drugs around my life instead of the other way around.  So I have cut large and small amounts.  Now is the only time I am confused.  To be honest, my plan was to be off of these for January 2011.  That is just not going to happen.  Then I thought I could get off of these before I start back in school again.  That isn't going to happen either.  My plan was to go down to hit 3mg when I feel a little more like myself.  I almost feel it's like ripping a band aide off.  The Ashton method takes you down 1mg at a time when you hit 10 or 5 mg of valium.  Now I am feeling like cutting smaller but that is a little tricky.  I really want to get it over with and hope that I feel a little better in a few days. 

I am going to look up some info on what you are taking.  That might be something I am interested in.  This is hard and family and friends don't really get it but we do here.  We are going to be drug free in 2011.  I won't be saying Happy New Year at the same time I am saying goodbye to the benzos but I will be able to say it soon enough.  You will too.  Would love to hear about how you are doing.  I try to come on here when ever I can.  It's good to write here but sometimes I find reading some stories a little tough so I don't wander too much.

have a wonderful New Years and celebrate that we will get this awful poison out of us for GOOD!!!

Oleander

Hi Oleander,

You are doing so well with your taper!  In all your research, did you find any place to go like Ashton clinic, here in the United States.  I'm having more than I can handle.  I sure would appreciate your help.  Jayne

New Year Greetings Oleander!

I just finished reading your posting and it sounds so similar to my feelings too.  I was crying as I was reading it.  I too, wish I could turn back the clock (years even) and did more research before I started down this crazy drug road.  My issue started about 5 years ago, when my primary doc (right out of med school) prescribed 4 times the thyroid med I had been taking by accident.  She added Cytomel to my current dose.  The med mistake was she called an endo doc who said to add "2.5 mg. Cytomel"  As it turned out she misinterpreted the dosing and gave me 25 mg added to my current dose.  I went hyperthyroid and didn't know what was happening to me.  Symptoms were the same as benzo withdrawal.

Finally, I got in to see the endo doc and had stopped taking the Cytomel on my own.  I had to go out on 5 weeks disability from work due to this doc's mistake.  I made another mistake by telling him that I was having insominia and  "...can you give me something to help me sleep?"  Dumb me -- I will never ask that question again.  He prescribed Lunesta which I tried to CT off three different times.  Only on the 4th time did I succeed after 10 days of hard withdrawal sxs.  Then 3 weeks after that, I am told by a psychiatrist that I have an anxiety disorder and I told him that I had just CT off Lunesta.  He said that withdrawal sxs don't last that long.  Budda bing, he wants me to start taking Ativan nitely.  I did not comply but took it only 1 or 2 per week.  However, got on Ambien too and took Ativan 3x per week.  Now we can say we fully understand tolerance and interdosing withdrawals.  That's what I experienced too and did not even suspect such a thing.  I went to 8 different docs who ran all kinds of tests and nothing popped up except "you have an anxiety disorder."  I told doc after doc I did not have any anxiety prior to this hyper thyroid med mistake and I was in a very stressful and responsible position at my work.  Nor did I have any problem sleeping. 

So you are right -- my sleep is very "iffy" too right now.  It seems I sleep in two hour shifts.  Taking melatonin has helped me get some good 4-5 hr shifts.  I think the lower dose of valium means we are healing on the way down.  Can you nap in the afternoon?  That has been a life saver for me. 

So glad to hear you are studying for a nursing degree.  You will know sooooo much more about these drugs and what they really do to unsuspecting patients.  I applaud you for how far you have come.  I have been angry at both doctors and myself, but blaming myself becomes self hatred.  I fight it too.  I wish this benzo stuff was more closely monitored but for now we have to walk this path.  Another trip to the doc or ER and we would be classified the very same way each time -- anxiety disorder.  Go away. 

Ashton said in her manual that it's ok to slow down to .5 mg cuts once you reach the 5 mg. mark.  I do feel the .5 mg. cuts at around days 5-8.  Then feel better and cut again on the 15th nite.  Have you felt better after cutting?  I have noticed this happens until I get to days 5-7 again.  So I think, Oleander, we are going in the most positive direction.  Down, down, down, and off. 

I'll be pulling for us both -- I just know better days are ahead for us if we stay the course.  You are not far behind me and we'll lift each other up if one stumbles!!

Others have run this race.  Do you have your Nikes on?  lol

Will keep you in my prayers for manageable sxs right now, from here out. 

God bless,

Rocko

Oleander,

Actually you're doing very well .. You will be off and healed in no time.

Have a New Year. ;)

K.

Thanks Keryn!  I have had a bad couple of days.  Have a Happy New Year too!!  This should be the best year yet if I can figure out exactly how I am going to finish getting off the rest of the benzos! 

Oleander

Hi Oleander,

You are doing so well with your taper!  In all your research, did you find any place to go like Ashton clinic, here in the United States.  I'm having more than I can handle.  I sure would appreciate your help.  Jayne

Jayne,

I followed the Ashton Schedule but changed it a bit to fit around my life.  She mentions to do that so it fits with your symptoms.  I never really had symptoms until now.  For half a year I was fine.  I find I am feeling like I was when I c/t for 4 days.  I don't know if I am doing the best job but trying to figure it out now.  I have found that the only people that can fix this is ourselves.  Doctors don't seem to understand it and the people here that got off the drugs all did it a little different.  I think we have to just guess and see if what we think will work, will.  It doesn't seem like a great answer but I feel like it's all I have today. 

Oleander

Hi Rocko,

That was a sweet post you sent to me.  I don't really feel like I have been doing too well in the last couple of days and I might have messed up everything I have been working so hard on.  A couple days ago I got out of bed after being awake all night long.  Everything I tried didn't work.  I tried to read, watch TV, etc.  The TV started scaring me. I started to feel like I was holding on to my bed so I wouldn't fall off the planet!  My husband just slept all night and I was awake.  I couldn't do anything in the morning.  I stayed in bed all day long.  While in bed I got so scared because it felt worse and worse.  I felt like I went down too fast and I didn't know what to do.  I don't take anything else like melatonin and I just got so scared that I took a 5 mg diazepam.  I kept worrying it was the worst thing to do.  It made me so scared to think I did the wrong thing and I had to start over.  Then all of a sudden I started to get calm.  I don't know if it was physical or psychological.  I was able to make it to a big party that evening and felt okay.  I am not really a big drinker but drank at the holiday party.  I felt calm.  It was so nice to feel so good.  Well I should have known better because the next day I woke up to the worst nightmare.  I was literally shaking.  My husband said that maybe taking another 5 mg of diazepam since it worked the day before.  I was crying because I just didn't want to go there but scared because I had no idea how bad it was going to be.  I made the choice to take another one so that was an extra 5 mg for 2 days in a row.  Today I didn't take any and plan on just taking my 4mg.  I feel okay today but wonder if it's because of the extra I took for the 2 days.  I also wonder if I can just stay on the 4 mg and not go back any higher.  Even if I have to stay on it for a couple weeks I would rather not get back to more.  While I was tapering down I swore I would never put any extra in my mouth again and never wanted to until this happened.  I think if I had an real sx during the last 6 months I would have been ready but I really forgot what it was like to not be able to leave my bed and holding on for dear life.

I hope I can go back to where I was.  I was going to look around to see if this has happened to anyone but I am a little afraid to read about symptoms since I don't have any now and I don't want to put them in my brain. 

It was really nice to say how great I have done but now I feel like I lost it all.

I was moved by your story because it sounds so familiar.  Neither one of us wanted this and trusted people who we considered experts.  Now we have to be the experts.  I just want a real expert because I am just not one.  I'm just hoping I can sleep and if not I can just deal with how I feel if I get s/x and hope they will go before next semester or get a little easier to handle driving and sitting in classrooms.  I have 2 weeks, alone most of the time to try to get back to where I was.  I really feel like I messed up and as soon as the extra diazepam gets out of my system I will feel a really rude awakening.  I just feel like a failure and I want to get back to where I have been for the last half a year.

I hope you are doing better!!!  I better get my Nike's on!

Oleander

This has really been a rotten day.  I want to be back where I was but the last couple days seem to have ruined it.  I have to get back in 2 weeks to get back to my life.  I don't understand how I was fine for a half a year going down as quick as I could from 60mg diazepam and when I hit 4mg I lost it all and felt like I was going to fall off the planet.  Why was 4mg the magic number??  It is not going well here at home with this.  My husband is getting a little concerned now because I worked so hard to get into nursing school and I have to go.  I keep thinking that I am going to have to go back to where I was a couple months ago in mg and go down slower to be able to go to classes and study as much as I have to.  My husband also thinks that if I have a positive attitude that I won't have anymore symptoms even though I took an extra 5mg for 2 days straight.  I think that is still in me and will be gone soon and I will be back to withdrawal symptoms.  I can handle it here but don't know if I can in school.  I know there isn't an answer but was hoping someone has gone through something like this and can share some thoughts.

Oleander

Hi Oleander,

I'm sorry to hear you've hit the wall, I've seen this happen at the lower doses.  I know you'll figure out what you need to do, and if that includes going back up and tapering slower, then I hope you'll do that.  A positive attitude is a good thing to have, but that won't stop the symptoms, this isn't in our heads, it's real.

Have you talked to mtmimi lately, she's doing a really slow taper and is getting near the end.

Hi Oleander,

I'm sorry to hear you've hit the wall, I've seen this happen at the lower doses.  I know you'll figure out what you need to do, and if that includes going back up and tapering slower, then I hope you'll do that.  A positive attitude is a good thing to have, but that won't stop the symptoms, this isn't in our heads, it's real.

Have you talked to mtmimi lately, she's doing a really slow taper and is getting near the end.

Hi Pamster,

I guess that's what it's called, hitting the wall.  It had been so long since I felt like that.  I actually forgot what it was like.  I panicked and took two extra doses in 2 days.  I am back where I was on 4mg starting today and I hope I can hold on for the ride if the s/xs come back.  I guess I will go back up if I absolutely have to but that is the last thing I want to do.  I read about the positive attitude being good but not the complete answer to my husband.  I think he gets it but he just can't understand why I had virtually no s/x for the whole time tapering and now I am falling apart.  I am also fine today but I really think it's because of upping the dosage yesterday and the day before.  I have this feeling when it starts to leave my body I will be back there again.  I really just want to hold on and get through it and hope it will be better in 2 weeks.  I hate the time frame but I have so much riding on this and I can't back out and get in to this program when ever I am ready.  I had no idea this would happen or I would have put it off.  Who knew I would be fine for so so long and then hit the wall??  Not me.

I have never met mtmimi but looked at a couple of posts.  She is going really slow with that liquid valium.  I don't know too much about it but will try to learn more.  I thought I was covered with enough benzos till the end of this nightmare so I wouldn't have to see that horrible doctor ever again but I would have to see him again if I switched over.  I will read more about that and see if I want to go that slow.  Thanks for reading my posts.  Wow, what a holiday this turned out to be.  My New Year's resolution was to eat better and exercise more.  That's a laugh.  Now it is to just hang on and see where this takes me.

Oleander

Hi Oleander:

Please don't beat yourself up -- others have updosed and then started to go down again without any problem.  Look at Pangelingua's postings -- I think he had to do that.  I'm so sorry to hear you have had some bad days with tremendous syptoms.  Maybe just holding on and see how you maintain at the 4 mg for awhile might minimize more symptoms.  Hope you stabilize quickly and regain your confidence.  You have done so amazingly well. 

Will check in with you daily to see how you're doing.

Rocko

Hi Oleander,

You're putting a lot of pressure on yourself with the start of classes and wanting to get this over with without seeing your Dr, this isn't good.  Maybe you could work on accepting this will take longer, that you'll still be tapering when you return to school and if necessary, see the creepy Dr.  You must remain functional and the only way to do this is to slow it down, way down.  Just my humble opinion.  ;)

Hi Pamster

I know I won't be off of these in 2 weeks but can't see going back up to a higher dosage.  I would like to stay at 4 mg and then taper slowly.  I know I can't be off of them completely by the time school starts but I just hope to not be at a higher dosage.  If I have to stay at 4mg for a long time, it is fine with me.  My doctor said in the beginning if this "Ashton Method" doesn't work he wants to do it his way.  His way was to cut .5mg of Klonopin every week.  That was much higher than what I am cutting and at a higher rate.  I would probably have to find a new doctor and explain the last 5 years of my life and have them give me liquid valium.  I just don't see anyone doing that.  If I get desperate I will look to find someone.  Today I feel a little shaky but much better than Friday and Saturday.  I am just worried that I only feel better because the extra 5mg on Friday and extra 5mg on Saturday is making me feel better today.  Yesterday I stayed on just the 4 before bed and nothing during the day and I slept well.  I slept well last night too.  I feel okay today.  Just worried if that is the extra benzos still in me.............just not sure.

The only pressure I have is school in 2 weeks.  I have zero pressure for the next 2 weeks.  I was trying to find how the half life works on diazepam but can't find it.

Oleander

Hi Oleander:

Please don't beat yourself up -- others have updosed and then started to go down again without any problem.  Look at Pangelingua's postings -- I think he had to do that.  I'm so sorry to hear you have had some bad days with tremendous syptoms.  Maybe just holding on and see how you maintain at the 4 mg for awhile might minimize more symptoms.  Hope you stabilize quickly and regain your confidence.  You have done so amazingly well. 

Will check in with you daily to see how you're doing.

Rocko

Thanks Rocko.  I am trying not to beat myself up but it's hard when I don't know the damage I did to myself.  I will look at Pangelingua's postings.  I am going to try to hold on to the 4mg and see how it works out.  So far so good but don't know if I feel okay because those extra mg are still in me??  Don't know how long the half life stays in you.

Hi Oleander:

I'm glad you had a few days of good sleep.  The half life of valium is about 8-9 days.  Hope you can get stable on the current 4 mg. and hold for awhile.  I think our GABA receptors are adjusting albeit very slowly to a lower dose. 

I have had a few rough days this week too -- the last cut to 2.5 mg. has been more than I