getting off the Diazepam

[Ol...]

[6a...]

yeah I think I have too much else going on to worry that much about cutting down.  I think 18 mg of Diazepam is pretty good for me since in May I was on 2 mg of Xanax and 3 mg of Klonopin.  Glad to get off that stuff and the Diazepam seems easier to drop down.  That's what I spent the summer doing.  I was lucky I didn't have s/x but I am ready for them.  I have an easier semester and should be good until end of February.  At that point, I have no idea when I would be able to think about side effects.  lol.  I will be full time school, lab, and clinicals so I will have to just keep working on CBT and biofeedback.  Glad it seems to be working now.  I am sure I will get to a point where I will have a s/x.  Hopefully it won't be a debilitating one.  I am just doing 10% drops now so not too much of a change.  I don't want to go any larger even if I feel like I can because I have too much going on.

I hope tomorrow will be a smooth school test and smooth EKG and blood work.  Then I hope that I can get a bunch of work done so I have Sunday for the "Prep" and Monday for the procedure.  I should be out for the rest of Monday but hopefully back to business Tuesday.  I remember the one from 3 years ago.  I was just glad it was over. 

The funny thing I am worried about is where I am going tomorrow.  I think it's in the GPS but I hope I figure out where to go in the hospital.  I don't normally go here but this GI uses this hospital so okay by me.  Where ever he goes, I go.  lol

Glad all your symptoms are gone, Pam.  Glad you seem to feeling good too. Keryn.

Have a great night!  I decided to be lazy since I want to get a lot more studying done and got my hubby to bring me home my fave Cobb salad from Panera.  I think I  could live there.  lol  One of these days I need to make a nice dinner.  lol

TTFN,

Oleander

I think 18 mg of Diazepam is pretty good for me since in May I was on 2 mg of Xanax and 3 mg of Klonopin.

I think so too, that's like cutting fropm 100mg of Valium to 18mg.. and your progress is amazing..

I was lucky I didn't have s/x but I am ready for them.

Do not think that way because some only have minimum sx's.

I hope everything goes ok... "Finger's crossed" ..

Keryn.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ol...]

• [Pa...]

• [ro...]

• [as...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Keryn,

I hope to just keep a positive attitude.  I actually didn't have a good night sleep last night.  It took forever to fall asleep but I did stay asleep.  I am hoping it's just nerves about my procedure coming up Monday.  I am a bit worried but I am sure for no reason.  Last meal tonight and then all liquids tomorrow and then the PREP.  yuck.  Oh, well, it's better than not doing it.  It should be over quick but then I have to study for a quiz on Wednesday.  It's only one chapter but she just gave us a test last week.  it would be nice to have one week off.  lol.  I laugh because her class is pretty easy and I have an A.  I only need a C to transfer the credits over to the school I am applying to so I'm not going to worry too much. 

My hubby took me out for seafood last night.  I wonder if I couldn't sleep well also because I ate a bit much and was kind of uncomfortable.  I won't do that tonight for sure.

How are you doing?  S/X?  How are they or are you having any?  Do you know when you are going to taper again.  I want to say Wednesday after my quiz but that is just a plan and could change.  It's not really a race but feels better when I can get down just a bit now.

I hope you are having good weather where you are.  So beautiful in Chicago today, sunny and warm.  Strange for October.  I am used to at least a light jacket but it is tee shirt weather.  I know that will be ending soon. 

Have a great weekend.

Oleander

Thanks Pam,

I did have the summer to get off of a lot of it but I a shocked I haven't had real s/x after my c/t 4 day trial in the beginning.  SO not the way to go.  I think and hope you are right about putting me out for the er...procedure on Monday morning.  I got a new doctor who REALLY listened to me like I had half a brain.  lol.  No, he really did listened and answered every question and promised me he wouldn't even wheel me in until I was OUT COLD.  Glad my hubby will be there to keep me calm.  He just brings pictures of my doggie to keep me calm.  Better than a Valium any day.  I'll probably be back on after then, hopefully with some great news.  The rest of the weekend isn't going to be as fun for the prep stuff but after that I am going to eat something good when I can.  OOHH, maybe some cake.  I will have to jump on the treadmill for that so maybe Wednesday. 

Have a good rest of your weekend.

Oleander

lol, Pam.  Had dark chocolate and super buttery popcorn.   :yippee: Didn't share a bit with hubby.   :smitten: Then I watched some bad TV and I had control of the remote.  I think I will take advantage for tomorrow but after Monday life should go back to normal.  I am looking forward to that.  I hope I sleep better.  I think I have the fear of losing control with this new med that will be putting me OUT.  I am a tiny bit of a control freak.  You might have guessed.  :laugh:

TTFN,

Oleander

[6a...]

Thanks Keryn,

I hope to just keep a positive attitude.  I actually didn't have a good night sleep last night.  It took forever to fall asleep but I did stay asleep.  I am hoping it's just nerves about my procedure coming up Monday.  I am a bit worried but I am sure for no reason.  Last meal tonight and then all liquids tomorrow and then the PREP.  yuck.  Oh, well, it's better than not doing it.  It should be over quick but then I have to study for a quiz on Wednesday.  It's only one chapter but she just gave us a test last week.  it would be nice to have one week off.  lol.  I laugh because her class is pretty easy and I have an A.   I only need a C to transfer the credits over to the school I am applying to so I'm not going to worry too much. 

My hubby took me out for seafood last night.  I wonder if I couldn't sleep well also because I ate a bit much and was kind of uncomfortable.  I won't do that tonight for sure.

How are you doing?  S/X?  How are they or are you having any?  Do you know when you are going to taper again.  I want to say Wednesday after my quiz but that is just a plan and could change.  It's not really a race but feels better when I can get down just a bit now.

I hope you are having good weather where you are.  So beautiful in Chicago today, sunny and warm.  Strange for October.  I am used to at least a light jacket but it is tee shirt weather.  I know that will be ending soon. 

Have a great weekend.

Oleander

Oleander,

I had a problem with seafood  :D I ate some shrimp about 2 night's ago and I could not sleep for some reason, maybe the seafood does that..I don't know  :D.

It's good to hear everything is going good for you, I have some online courses that I'm taking, that helps distract. Yesterday I was up to my head in Chemistry.. I'm going all in all for Engineering.

You say you're going to be a MD or was it a RN?

I worked as a CNA for a while.. I thought about MD, I could do it, but I changed to Engineering;and sticking with that.

I had a friend back in Minnesota who was an Engineer, he helped me understand a lot of things..so on.

As far as my sx's I have morning anxiety and some d/r time to time.. I hope by the end of this taper I will be sx free, but we'll see.

Hope you have a good day,

Keryn.

Glad my colonoscopy is over.  Went very well and Propofol is the way to go.  Sound asleep and took 5 seconds.  The gastroenterologist and the anesthesiologist really understood about my whole Benzo story and knew what they were getting into.  I will never do it a different way again.  I got home and was starving.  I took about an hour nap and now I am going to do some studying for a quiz I have on Wednesday.  I did find out that it was a much safer way to go than the normal Versed/Fentanol way since the GI has to worry about the meds and the patient.  Having the anesthesiologist just worrying about my heart rate and meds and the doc concerned about the colonoscopy makes it safer.  So I am off the hook for another 5 years but still have to go earlier than normal because of family history, with or without symptoms but after today, no problem.  Makes for a great week.

Hope you all have a great week.

Oleander

Hi Keryn,

Maybe it was the seafood but not sure.  I was pretty nervous about today.  But I got through it.  Glad it's over.  I am not going for MD.  Maybe if 'I was younger.  I am going for BSN, possibly an advanced MSN degree in the near future.  Still waiting to see if I get into my school of choice to transfer to.  It doesn't start until end of February.  I hope to be off Benzos or close to it by then.  I am going to go down on Wednesday if all goes well.  I have a quiz that day and the rest of my week is pretty easy so I better take the chance.  Not sure if I want to do 16 mg or 15 mg.  15mg would be so easy, no splitting pills.  lol.  But that might be too much.  I guess I will see how I sleep the next couple nights. 

Engineering sounds like a good fit for you.  How much school do you have left?  I really wish a lot more of my gen eds would transfer from my first bachelor's degree.  I had a few arguments about classes they won't take even though they are the same.  Oh well, it's an investment and better than my home in this economy.  lol.

So you have more s/x in the morning?  I remember when I split the doses I was one 3 times per day and the morning dose just put me back to sleep.  I wanted off of that and I could never remember to take the afternoon one.  I was used to taking all the pills before bed always.  It is weird taking a 10mg, a 5mg, 2mg, and a 2mg cut in half now.  It is kind of a pain. 

How do you decide when to taper down?  I guess I am just going by feeling and what else I have going on.  I like to take the chance if I have an easier week so I don't have to taper on a heavy week. 

Have a good night

Oleander

[6a...]

Hi Keryn,

Maybe it was the seafood but not sure.  I was pretty nervous about today.  But I got through it.  Glad it's over.  I am not going for MD.  Maybe if 'I was younger.  I am going for BSN, possibly an advanced MSN degree in the near future.  Still waiting to see if I get into my school of choice to transfer to.  It doesn't start until end of February.  I hope to be off Benzos or close to it by then.  I am going to go down on Wednesday if all goes well.  I have a quiz that day and the rest of my week is pretty easy so I better take the chance.  Not sure if I want to do 16 mg or 15 mg.  15mg would be so easy, no splitting pills.  lol.  But that might be too much.  I guess I will see how I sleep the next couple nights. 

Engineering sounds like a good fit for you.  How much school do you have left?  I really wish a lot more of my gen eds would transfer from my first bachelor's degree.  I had a few arguments about classes they won't take even though they are the same.  Oh well, it's an investment and better than my home in this economy.  lol.

So you have more s/x in the morning?  I remember when I split the doses I was one 3 times per day and the morning dose just put me back to sleep.  I wanted off of that and I could never remember to take the afternoon one.  I was used to taking all the pills before bed always.  It is weird taking a 10mg, a 5mg, 2mg, and a 2mg cut in half now.  It is kind of a pain. 

How do you decide when to taper down?  I guess I am just going by feeling and what else I have going on.  I like to take the chance if I have an easier week so I don't have to taper on a heavy week. 

Have a good night

Oleander

Oleander, Hi

Could have been the seafood, as much as I love it.. I will not give it up lol.

I'm going back for Engineering and it's not easy.. by farrrrrrrrrr, I have a lot of subjects, Chemistry, Physics, Dynamics, Statistics, Statics... so onnnn.... I can't stress it enough!! I have 4 years left of University and I am done!

Engineering is broken up into many subjects.. I had 2 years.. of College already, Physics was what I was really aiming for, but I find Engineering much more for me. So 6 years of College in all, I'm taking some online courses now, I hope to finish, Chemistry.

If I were you I would start cutting 1mg now instead of 2mg of the Valium.

Just my opinion, how are you feeling now with these cuts?

I messed up the first post...  :o

Keryn.

Hi Keryn,

Sounds like Engineering is a good fit for you.  I liked chemistry but I still have to take organic.  Not looking forward to that.  Nursing is so competitive that if you get a B, you might be gone.  Those schools are only graded on their NCLX score so if you have a school with students getting less than 95% on the NCLX, no one wants to go to your school.  They found a great way to raise their scores.  Just get rid of all the deal weight.  lol.  I like more anatomy and physiology, not as much the math sciences.  I can't give up the sea food either but I slept 9 hours last night.  I only woke up once because I heard my husband.  I think it was getting all of the medical junk done and everything coming out okay. 

I for sure don't want to go down only 1 mg because I have never done that.  I went from 60 in the beginning of the summer down to my current dose now pretty quick.  I know the last 10 will be harder but from 18 down to 10 I would like to get rid of it.  The cuts have been okay.  I never had one that caused any s/x.  I cut 10 mg one week.  I think the c/t I did for 4 days just made me a little gun shy.  I don't want that feeling again because that was when I was on 2mg of Xanax and 3 mg of Klonopin.  That was a little excessive to be on for sleeping problems.  I am sleeping better.  I am wearing a sleep mask to make sure the room is totally dark and have a ceiling fan on to make sure the room is cool.  I am just trying new things so the drugs don't seem like the "crutch" they once were to sleep.

Good luck with all your classes.  I have 2 years left.  That seems pretty long when I already worked on this for 2 years and worked on my BA for 4 years.  I get a little break after this semester so that will be nice.  My hubby and I are planning a vacation in January.  I hope to be down quite a bit more by then.

Have a great day

Oleander

Yesterday turned out to be a really good day.  I decided to just make a jump down while I could.  I am going to stick here for awhile but made it to 15mg.  I don't think I have any s/x but I just took it at night last night.  I think I am going to hold for a couple weeks.  It was more than I was going to cut but 15 was easier than cutting pills in half.  So laziness got me to cut down some more.  I have a real easy couple weeks in school so hopefully it will work out.  If not, at least I am not under the gun with anything huge. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

Oleander

You amaze me, I can't believe how functional you are while tapering!  You're either really good at faking it, or you're not suffering as much as I expected you too, this is wonderful!  I hope this continues for you, but I don't see why it wouldn't.  I love that you're sleeping, it sounds like you have some good sleep hygiene in place. 

Can you tell us where you plan to vacation, or is that top secret?  ;)

Hi Pam,

I really thought I would have s/x but not yet.  Might get worse when I get under 10 mg.  So far sleep has been good but seeing the CBT once per week has helped.  He has taught me a bunch but breathing low and slow is his big thing.  I am really practicing it.  Vacation, maybe Vegas or a cruise.  My hubby likes the cruise and I like Vegas.  I have family there.  Hubby likes all the activities of the cruise but I like to just do my own thing.  What ever it will be, I just hope it will be a little warmer than here.  lol.  I am going to stay at 15 for at least 2 weeks and see how I feel.  Maybe I will just go down 1 or 2 mg.  Going down 3 was probably not smart but I have been able to handle it so far.  I am also not as busy this week so that helps out to, I'm sure.

Oleander

[6a...]

Oleander,

Not everyone does get symptom's, hard to believe but true.. even if some do, they are minute compared to what others go through.

I hope you don't get any.

It's good to hear everything is going ok and good thus far.

Keryn.

Yeah, you say you're going to hold, then in the same paragraph, you're talking about possible reductions!  :laugh:  I don't think there's any reason to suspect you'll have trouble at 10 mgs, its just a number and none of the other numbers have been a problem.  Except for the original one that went from 5 to 0!

I'm glad you're thinking about a vacation, make sure if you do have symptoms, you leave them home, okay?

Hi Keryn,

Boy I hope you are right.  It would be nice to not have any s/x when I get near the end but I got awhile to go and I just keep thinking about in the beginning when I didn't know any better and went c/t with 2 Xanax and 3 Klonopin.  By the 4th day I never knew I could feel that way.  I thought I was insane and my husband was really scared and so was I.  I just can't go through that again.  I went pretty fast over the summer but I was just lucky I had the time to take it easy. That Diazepam is very sedating in the beginning.  Not so much anymore.  Hope your schooling is going well and hope your s/x are getting better.  Do you wait until you don't feel anymore s/x and then take it down?  How does that work?  I try to go down when I know I should have an easy week, just in case.

Oleander

Hi Pam,

So right you are, that 5-0 was a nightmare.  I get worried that something like that will happen but so far, so good.  Knocking on wood right now.  lol  Just in case.  So far the 15 mg is okay.  It isn't as sedating as the 60 mg I was on, lol.  That was crazy.  I think I am sleeping better because of the weird breathing my CBT guy gives me to do. I am still not completely sure about him but so far he's okay.  I really don't trust people these days.  Sometimes I worry about what I might think being a nurse and watching a doctor give someone a big bottle of Xanax.  Everyone I know practically is on that stuff.  It's like no big deal.  I used to give one to my hubby when we flew but I threw them out and said he is on his own.  He can just deal with it.  After what he saw on my c/t days, I don't think he ever wants one again.

Oleander

Yeah, you're going into an area where you're going to see a lot of the drug being handed out.  I'd have to bite my tongue, not to climb up on my soapbox every time, which is what I do now.  You won't have that luxury though.

[6a...]

Hi Keryn,

Boy I hope you are right.  It would be nice to not have any s/x when I get near the end but I got awhile to go and I just keep thinking about in the beginning when I didn't know any better and went c/t with 2 Xanax and 3 Klonopin.  By the 4th day I never knew I could feel that way.  I thought I was insane and my husband was really scared and so was I.  I just can't go through that again.  I went pretty fast over the summer but I was just lucky I had the time to take it easy. That Diazepam is very sedating in the beginning.  Not so much anymore.  Hope your schooling is going well and hope your s/x are getting better.  Do you wait until you don't feel anymore s/x and then take it down?  How does that work?  I try to go down when I know I should have an easy week, just in case.

Oleander

Oleander,

That's a heavy dose of Xanax and Klonopin, then again, I don't think there are any comparison's in dosages.. like 1mg, 2mg &c..

You seem to be doing well. The Valium isn't sedating much for me anymore either, the only way it is.. if I stay up all night and take it .. then I feel the sedation..

The Valium became less sedating for me about 6-7 months after c/o.

I make a cut when I start feeling better..yes as in terms of when the V starts making me feel depressed like, then I cut, the depression lifts and then all over again.

Keryn.

Pam,

Boy I hope I am able to bite my tongue or get in an area where I won't have to deal with that.  I get on my soapbox every time I go to my CBT.  I went today.  I think he agrees that Xanax is passed out like Pezz candy.  I am not against medication, as a whole, but I am learning more holistic methods for my sleep disorder.  I keep getting homework from him.  He has opened my mind to be able to listen.  I am falling asleep better.  But I am staying on my 15mg of Diazepam for another week.  I think I might just go down 1 or 2 mg from now on.  I know I am going in the right direction so if it takes me an extra month, who really cares.  I got off a bunch of it pretty quick.

Oleander

Keryn,

Yeah, I don't think the Diazepam makes me sleepy anymore.  I am going to hold for another week since I went down 3 mg.  Who knows if it will matter.  I haven't been depressed but if I get there I will know that is the time to at least go down 1 mg.  No rush for me anymore.  I think the worst of this is over.  I hope, anyway.  I don't think anything could be as bad as the 4 day c/t in the beginning so I guess I can live through anything.  Maybe this will just make us all stronger.

Oleander

[6a...]

Keryn,

Yeah, I don't think the Diazepam makes me sleepy anymore.  I am going to hold for another week since I went down 3 mg.  Who knows if it will matter.  I haven't been depressed but if I get there I will know that is the time to at least go down 1 mg.  No rush for me anymore.  I think the worst of this is over.  I hope, anyway.  I don't think anything could be as bad as the 4 day c/t in the beginning so I guess I can live through anything.  Maybe this will just make us all stronger.

Oleander

Oh yeah..after a c/t, you realize tapering is much better..I c/t 5mg of Klonopin once and it was screaming hell! I can't find any other way to put it. After it peaked off 4 days, my little world came tumbling down into a spiral of the unusual! It will make you stronger as well as all of us.

Keryn.

Keryn,

You got that right.  It has to make us stronger.  Thinking about just going down 1mg maybe Wednesday night.  No class the rest of week so maybe a good time.  I'm only going down 1mg because I can take a 10mg and 2 of the 2mg ones.  Laziness wins every time.  lol.  I hate cutting pills.  I know at some point I will have to.

Oleander

[6a...]

Keryn,

You got that right.  It has to make us stronger.  Thinking about just going down 1mg maybe Wednesday night.  No class the rest of week so maybe a good time.  I'm only going down 1mg because I can take a 10mg and 2 of the 2mg ones.  Laziness wins every time.  lol.  I hate cutting pills.  I know at some point I will have to.

Oleander

Oleander, good to hear you have a week off, hey if things get too overbearing, cut 1mg..no sense in rushing it.

I have rushed these last few cuts and I feel them, ya there is a feeling of getting ones self back, but w/d with that.. you just take it easy, I find the Valium no longer sedating either, sedation is only a side effect, it goes away anyway.. even when I was on Klonopin, sedation went away.. the Valium is still working, just because you lose sedation means it no longer works.. just means you are lower and is no longer that useful for sedation, we're on this stuff to taper anyway as we find other ways to cope with the problem lying under therein.

Keryn.