3,2,1: Under 3 mg Valium people

[os...]

Good luck, Tree!

Yes, Valium has a long half life but you're barely on it anymore, so there's not much to stay in your system.

Now your brain just gets to fully heal. You got this!

Keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m 11 days off today!

Nothing has let up so far. All the same things I had during the taper are still here every day.

Some of it has intensified a bit. Lots of body pain - lower back, neck. That probably is related to how much I’m laying around. Dizziness and eye stuff has intensified a bit.

I’m hoping for a little glimpse of peace soon.

I’m surprised at how impatient I feel. I think if I was still tapering I’d be more ok with how I feel.

Even though I knew/know it wouldn’t let up yet, I guess I had hoped I’d be different.

Heading into rough hormones, so I’m bucking up.

I think I’m at the peak of the drug leaving my body - with Valium’s half life. I hope it’s not going to get worse. But who knows?

2 weeks off and I’m seeing some things let up ever so slightly.

I am able to enjoy moments here and there!

I’m still quite scared of what my body could throw at me minute to minute, but I’m able to distract a bit and almost enjoy where I am.

I was able to help make dinner, clean up and hang out while the fam watched a movie. It was loud but not “OMG I have to go lay down in a quiet room” loud.

Still had my normal rough hours from 12-3ish today. I laid around and listened to meditations. Some of the dizziness/eye weirdness let up enough this evening that I didn’t think about it for a while.

Head feels heavy and some random buzzing somewhere in there, but, hey I’ll take it!

A week ago I was in bed thinking I was done. No chance of recovery, no chance I’ll even make it another day.

Thankful for this window. Hope it lingers

Hang in there buddies

Hi!

Not been around these parts for a long time - hoping for some advice:

I've been tapering off valium for years now, with the help of a (thankfully) very sympathetic doctor.

I've been down to 1mg per day for ages, but recently started skipping Sundays, on doctor's advice.

As is always the case with a taper (I think due to half life), I sailed through the first 10 days after the first skipped Sunday. I've now skipped three Sundays and am on day 18 since the initial cut.

Rebound anxiety (about ludicrous and far-fetched scenarios) is now back with a vengence - has been since about day 14 - I'm drained and weepy and my (usually very reliable since I quit drinking!) digestive system is complaining.

I'm minded to just stick with it and continue skipping Sundays, but wonder if anyone would advise anything different. It's been so long since a cut so I can't remember how quickly this normally levels out. If I just have to white knuckle it for another few days / a week then I should be OK.

It staggers me just how much my brain and body can react to missing half a tiny pill one day per week, but I guess dropping a 1mg day each week is 1/7th - more than Ashton recommends.

Any advice and support welcomed!

Skipping doses is not the way to taper benzos.

A lot of drs say this, but it isn’t true, it’s not benzo wise.

You would be better to cut down on the daily amount to get off that way.

I would go back to everyday and stabilize and then make a small cut like 2% and wait 10 days and see how you do!

Good luck.

Winnie

I only have 2mg tablets (I currently take half per day for 1mg). I ought to be able to break them into quarters.

I can't get it in liquid form from my doctor and trying to make liquid myself is really not something I fancy doing.

What I'm wondering is instead of skipping Sunday, I go:

Monday: 1mg.

Tuesday: 1mg.

Wednesday: 0.5mg.

Thursday: 1mg.

Friday: 1mg.

Saturday: 1mg.

Sunday: 0.5mg.

That would be a bit smoother than what I've been doing for the past three weeks, and would keep me on the same reduction I've worked for for the past 18 days.

Does that seem like a sensible plan, given the tablets I have?

Again skipping doses is not the way to taper, maybe others can chime in if they have done it this way etc??

I also use 2 mg tablets and cut them in half etc.

We also use a jewellers scale that you can buy on Amazon pretty cheap to cut the pills smaller.

People shave them off with files to get the dose they need.

Others smash down the pill to powder and then weigh it and take away small amounts.

You’d be best to start a new message under tapering and Bob7 can help.

He’s not on as much anymore, so you’ll need to send him a PM or have one of the moderators do that.

He’s a wiz at getting people off the last little bit.

Good luck.

Winnie

I only have 2mg tablets (I currently take half per day for 1mg). I ought to be able to break them into quarters.

I can't get it in liquid form from my doctor and trying to make liquid myself is really not something I fancy doing.

What I'm wondering is instead of skipping Sunday, I go:

Monday: 1mg.

Tuesday: 1mg.

Wednesday: 0.5mg.

Thursday: 1mg.

Friday: 1mg.

Saturday: 1mg.

Sunday: 0.5mg.

That would be a bit smoother than what I've been doing for the past three weeks, and would keep me on the same reduction I've worked for for the past 18 days.

Does that seem like a sensible plan, given the tablets I have?

You can taper 0.5 mg every 2-4 weeks, by cutting quarters off. I did it that way and had a successful taper. I was also forced to use 2 mg valium tablets.

30 days off today!

I have had more times where the dizziness lets up

Neck pain is better

Back pain is a bit better

I had a pretty good spot at the beginning of week 3. I went out to a coffee shop then walked around outside for a bit and felt pretty normal.

Then the rest of week 3 to 4 was a pretty rough wave. It correlated with cycle days 25-4 so I guess hormones played a last and it’s to be expected.

Very rough mental and physical. More tingling than I’ve had in a long time (face, arms, legs).

It kind of peaked around days 25-29 off of the med, which correlates to the 5-7 half life mark for Valium. I think it’s probably when the majority of the drug was leaving my system.

I still rest a lot, and lots of things feel way overstimulating. But I’m able to rest, then get back up and try again in a little while.

I’m hanging out with my family a bit more. Making food for my kids. (I still get worn out easily). I have been doing small walks around my block a few days this week.

Having the TV on in the same room is ok now. I can be up and about a bit more, less of the “omg I’m going to pass out” feeling.

Thankful for all of the good changes.

Tree (Cross posted to benzo free celebrations)

Great to hear, Tree! Keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I am now down to .5.

Close to the finish line - maybe 30-40 days away - so not far behind you!

It sounds like things are really starting to improve for you, Tree. I'm so glad to hear it. I just went below the equivalent of 2.5 mg V today.

What you’re doing is such hard work. Good job!

Tapering is so freaking hard.

Keep moving. 🙏🏻 you’ve got this!

Open road! You’re so close! What’s your attack plan? Going to go to zero?

Hi Tree,

I'm gonna take it down as low as this little crumb and little scale will let me! Will keep you posted :)

Hope you're feeling ok!!

Openroad

What you’re doing is such hard work. Good job!

Tapering is so freaking hard.

Keep moving. 🙏🏻 you’ve got this!

Thank you for your encouragement, Tree! It is so hard... Words just don't do it justice.

• 2 weeks later...

41 days off now, and things have calmed down enough that I don’t feel awful all the time! Hurray!

I have good stretches most  days where I have interest in doing things. I don’t hide away in my room avoiding the noise of a lively house. I can watch some shows on TV, I have exercised a bit more (small 12 min bike ride outside), and I’ve voluntarily left the house to go out several times.

I picked up playing guitar again, something I haven’t done in a decade - and I’m learning to read music this time. I’m proud of my brain keeping up with that steep learning curve. It lets me know when I’ve done enough - I get dizzy and spaced out and lighting tricks my eyes. Laying down for an hour or so helps it a lot.

I’ve worked in some gentle leg strengthening exercises - while laying down. My muscles get sore so fast! But legs feel stronger.

Over Christmas I did pretty good, I was easily overwhelmed brain/ vision wise.

I was able to decorate gingerbread houses with the kids, play catch a bit, and felt relaxed enough to laugh and goof around.

I feel anxiety rise, and can usually notice what is happening and breathe it back down.

I have a lot of body tightness in my neck and lower back. I’m still doing gentle yoga every day.

My appetite is back and I’ve gained a few pounds finall!. I have had some nausea that comes and goes this week.

Ovulation was rough again - pain wise - a mild uptick in anxiety, but no intrusive or SI this time. So grateful for that.

I still feel swimmy headed and boaty from time to time, most evenings when I lay down I feel a bit rocky. I don’t jolt awake in fear anymore as I’m drifting off (wow I hated that symptom), or have dizziness when I wake up or roll over.

Also I don’t feel like I’m about to pass out all day anymore. I feel a bit stronger.

I had a solid week of super heavy and cold arms. They got sore and worn out so fast. Even washing hair in the shower would make them ache. That has passed thankfully.

I still don’t shower standing up every day - it’s so tiring! 

I lay down in the afternoons if I feel extra spacey, but it’s getting slowly better. I don’t need to do it every day now. (I was mostly laying in bed my last few months while tapering)

Shaky vision is gone 90% of the time, tinnitus comes and goes, ear drum spasms are mostly gone.

My teeth hurt and feel very sensitive to cold and for some reason metallic noises - make my teeth feel on edge and ache. So odd. I assume it’ll pass like everything else has.

Such a weird process.

All in all, doing better!

Keep trucking!

(Cross posted to benzo free celebrations)

• 2 weeks later...
Hey all. I am at .65mg valium. Wondering where people usually jump off at. I was thinking perhaps at .4mg. It is getting hard for my scale to read this amount out anyway.

hi williedee,

Dr. Ashton said you could jump at .5. That's what a lot of people do.

I'm at .3, heading down to .2. So far, my scale is still reading it and I will continue down until my scale no longer can weigh the pills, but it's completely up to you!

.4 sounds like a decent plan.

- open road

I’ve only been on diazapam 7 weeks, cut down to 1/2 a 5 mg tablet. The psych will only give me another 4 weeks supply, will ask fir another script next week she will only give 2 weeks at a time. Do you think should ask for 2 mg so can taper lower. As finding it hard to cut them any smaller than quarters. Which is about 1.25 mg, didn’t know if that was low enough to stop? So far has been helping and get odd jittery day but def improving.

Hey Leann, yes I would ask for mg tablets to make it easier to taper off if you can. I'd also get an affordable milligram scale so that you can weigh your cut portions of pills. Some people jump off around 1mg, others prefer to cut down to .5 or even lower. It sounds like you are quite sensitive so it may be best to try to plan to cut down to .5mg or so.

About to jump. Just took .017 of a .172 pill. It's .5mg. I think I can do it now.

Pretty sure what had been really helpful for me is lots of taurine, lysine, calcium, magnesium and lecithin.

Will update how the jump goes.

Decided to re-evaluate and make sure that I jump from what would be a tolerable cut - which is about .007 pill weight, or .2mg. But these pill fragments are getting difficult to pick up, much less file down, because I unfortunately don't have 2mg pills, so I will be jumping at .010. Hoping for a "non-event" situation.

Are you going your same rate for last milligram? I’ve been going by % since my second taper. Now it’s almost impossible even though I’m going at a turtle pace. Now my % is increasing rapidly.

Hi Magnolis, I just popped in which I seldom do now, and saw you're still at it.So am I. Between a rock and a hard place. Just to tell you you're not alone. I can go very very slowly or not at all, and even like this I have very bad sxs. Some of us were born to suffer I guess. Wishing you all the best.