Muscle pain support group

[ha...]

[23...]

Niners,

Awesome isn't it?  I can't imagine jerking & twitching for this last two years, it's been a total blessing! :thumbsup:

Too bad there isn't more to help the rest of the sx's.

Healing hugs, MG

Tex,

I take 600mg Alpha Lipoic acid and have since I have 12 months aprox, it's made all the difference.  I have very few twitches, jolts, etc, just weak leg nerve pain now. 

MG

MG,

I take ALA and it helps me also.

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Aj...]

• [De...]

• [Tr...]

• [Ma...]

Hello,

i have horrible muscle pain. Mostly in my upper body neck ,chest,back ,abdomen. shoulders. When does the muscle pain end? Mine seems to be spreading. Started in my hand and arm , has slowly taken over upper body. I cannot exercise for fear of making it any worse. This pain makes it hard to fall asleep at night as well. I go to bed in pain and wake up in pain.

What are some things people do to help with the pain? I know a hot bath and heating pad helps but it can only do so much. I have avoided all otc medicine and plan to continue to unless absolutely needed.

Thanks

I've started getting some minor deep muscle pain in my forearms. It makes my forearms feel like they're tired from being used. Make sense? Is this similar to anyone else's pain? I have not had this before and I'm about 7 months off. My main physical symptom has been muscle twitches all over. I've had a lot in my forearms and hands/fingers the last few days. Thanks and good luck!

I've started getting some minor deep muscle pain in my forearms. It makes my forearms feel like they're tired from being used. Make sense? Is this similar to anyone else's pain? I have not had this before and I'm about 7 months off. My main physical symptom has been muscle twitches all over. I've had a lot in my forearms and hands/fingers the last few days. Thanks and good luck!

I have had the exact same thing my fore arm muscle felt like it was extremely overused. Yet I had not used it enough to make it so.

I have had the exact same thing my fore arm muscle felt like it was extremely overused. Yet I had not used it enough to make it so.

Exactly. Glad to know it's relatively common. Good luck!

Hello,

i have horrible muscle pain. Mostly in my upper body neck ,chest,back ,abdomen. shoulders. When does the muscle pain end? Mine seems to be spreading. Started in my hand and arm , has slowly taken over upper body. I cannot exercise for fear of making it any worse. This pain makes it hard to fall asleep at night as well. I go to bed in pain and wake up in pain.

What are some things people do to help with the pain? I know a hot bath and heating pad helps but it can only do so much. I have avoided all otc medicine and plan to continue to unless absolutely needed.

Thanks

My Hit List--

You could try a 20 min soak in Epsom salt bath. Longer is not better.

I do neuromuscular therapy (NMT). Huge help.

Light massage might relax.

When spasms were bad, trigger point therapy made a difference. Self applied or by practitioner.

Advil 800 mg, maybe, if you can tolerate it. Tylenol 650 mg, possibly.

Distraction.

Proper pillow support of neck, under knees when flat on back.

I use

Epsom salts bath - not too hot or I feel awful afterwards (20 mins)

Thermacare muscle wraps ( can be bought from pharmacy and worn for 8 hours - they heat up - not too expensive)

Biofreeze gel

Light massage

Hot water bottle/cold pack

Lumbar support for chair/ in the car. Can help to support back. Try not to sit /drive for long periods of time as this can tighten up the muscles.

Tens machine.

Trigger point therapy ( I cannot tolerate too much of this yet - its ok at the time but it can increase my symptoms )

Paracetamol ( if tolerated )

Stretching/walking when tolerated ( try to do this daily now )

Avoidance of stressful situations and people.

went to the osteopath today, apparently my pelvis had shifted AGAIN :( it's happened more than 10 times the last few years now :( That does explain my pain. But will it ever get better?  :'(

[23...]

Yes I get them horribly at times, but they are muscle cramps, and I get them in my spine and legs.  Bad in spine, I throw my back out, lower and upper.  I get more reprieve from them these days, but they were my worst sx for the last 2 yrs along with nerve pain/leg & arm weakness.  Didn't bother going to the doctor specifically for them, because I knew it was from recovery.

MG :smitten:

anyone here suffer muscle spasms i am getting them horribly its excruciating. Has anyone been to the doctors for it

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I am new to this support group.

Just started getting horrible neck and lower back pain.

I'm wearing a neck support collar which helps enormously, and also  doing neck stretches and self massages from a YouTube Yoga video. The stretches so far have helped only minimally. Neck pain just wont go away!

Anyone have any ideas to help lower back aches? My back is so weak I am in pain when I stand or walk more than five minutes at a time. Tried a wrap around back support. Doesn't do much.

AdVil, aspirin, Tylenol does very little.

Guess I am doomed? I am still on 1.2 mg Valium and tapering very slowly.

Any suggestions for some relief would be most appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks,

Heathcliff

Heathcliff, I don't think you are doomed. Withdrawal is not linear. Symptoms tend to have phases.

I am getting neuro-muscular therapy. It has helped immensely. But my muscle and nerve pain did not crop up till after off K. Either way, what you are doing sounds helpful. Heat wraps may bring comfort. Epsom salt baths for 20 minutes too.  :)

Bennie

Thanks BennieJets,

I'll keep up what I'm doing and hope that the back pain leaves pretty quickly.

Dont want to do any Epsom salt baths, although many people have suggested it. Last time I did an Epsom salt bath I got a urinary infection.

I'll try back massage too.

Thanks if your support. It is much appreciated

Heathcliff

• 4 weeks later...

HI all - I thought I'd escape this muscle symptom since I'm about to jump -  no such luck.

I thought I pulled something in my shoulder from being old, out of shape (with poor posture habits) and carrying heavy bags. Oh - and being in w/d.  But the pain has a strange pattern.  This unbelievable knife-in-scapula pain starts around 7PM only on left side (which I was leaning on alot while in bed before all this) and doesn't let up until i've iced it, oxycodned and gelled it which takes all night.  I sleep sideways a bit in a chair.

Seeking Sanity had some good guidance on other threads so I have been quitting possible triggers - nightshade foods and adding back magnesium.  There is alot to do.  So far acupuncture helps a bit and fracture was ruled out by xrays.  But the pain has robbed me of what little sleep I had. 

I started taking about 10mgs of oxy with tylenol -- out of desperation and really hate the daytime w/d from that but don't know what else to do.

My disinterested sports doc has me smearing NSAID Volateran generic cream on it but doesn't seem to be doing anything.  And I am going to have to demand an MRI - I just can't continue not knowing if this is other than w/d.  RX strength NSAID by mouth tore up my GI so thats out. I am getting evaluated for p.t. this week for it but it feels like more movement and strengthening will just aggravate it.  I'm losing some feeling in my fingers, too which is scary. Is there any benefit to p.t.?

What the hell is this?  (thnx for vent, BTW - this -- I can't think of anything but the pain)  WBB

.... But the pain has a strange pattern.  This unbelievable knife-in-scapula pain starts around 7PM only on left side (which I was leaning on alot while in bed before all this) and doesn't let up until i've iced it, oxycodned and gelled it which takes all night.  I sleep sideways a bit in a chair.

...I started taking about 10mgs of oxy with tylenol -- out of desperation and really hate the daytime w/d from that but don't know what else to do.

Hi WBB, I'm so sorry you are going through this. Are you saying that the pain starts @7 p.m. at night? If so strange! No wonder Sports Med doc is not taking you seriously. Or did I misread this?!

I wonder if you would get relief if you up-dosed just a little on the Z-drug? I'm sure you know the dangers of Oxycodone!

Have you tried massage? Massage therapists are good at determining muscle and nerve pain and finding/releasing trigger points. Definitely go to the Physio ASAP. I have had good success doing so with shoulder and other problems resulting from injuries and from poor posture.

Thinking of you! LL

- LL - yeah - I can endure the pain all day but it really kicks in around 7PM for some reason and when I lie down, forget it.  it's like a kitchen knife in my scapula that turns when i do.  It's definitely a bad choice - opiate or z drug.  If I updose and the pain goes away - I know the real cause but the next taper may be worse which I can't even imagine.  Oxy is awful but with a much shorter w/d in my experience.  They're both bad and I would experiment with an updose on Z drug if the MRI shows nothing. Last night was another bad one.  Really depressed and anxious over having to press this doc tomorrow.  They wanted me to not come in because I need another week on the do-nothing NSAID.  Really?  WBB

I get this too in the evenings, for me it's muscle cramps, but so insidious I can't always feel that it's a cramp, but after going through this for 2+ yrs I know it is now.  I do acupressure points that help with it.  GB34 helps more than any for all muscle/spine issues for me, and I have a mess in my spine.  I've tried it all, ibuprofen works sometimes, and I take slippery elm with it to protect my gut, 3 caps. I take mag citrate 2x a day but it has no real effect on it.

Hope this helps some, ask your acupuncturist how to do GB34, it's hard to find sometimes.  If you think it's nerve pain, ask him/her how to do the PP on the outside of ankle bone below in the hollow.  I get nerve pain as much as cramps. 

Hugs, MG :smitten:

- LL - yeah - I can endure the pain all day but it really kicks in around 7PM for some reason and when I lie down, forget it.  it's like a kitchen knife in my scapula that turns when i do.  It's definitely a bad choice - opiate or z drug.  If I updose and the pain goes away - I know the real cause but the next taper may be worse which I can't even imagine.  Oxy is awful but with a much shorter w/d in my experience.  They're both bad and I would experiment with an updose on Z drug if the MRI shows nothing. Last night was another bad one.  Really depressed and anxious over having to press this doc tomorrow.  They wanted me to not come in because I need another week on the do-nothing NSAID.  Really?  WBB

• 3 weeks later...

hi havent been here in a while - i see a lot of you a year or 2 out w pain! this frightens me.

Is the pain different for everyone?

I feel it all over like inflamed mostly in am and mornings are very scary place for me. kind of pain where you forget to breath and nauseated, cant eat. Its like 5 hrs before i do much. i try gently stretching, moving, meditate,tumeric, other supps, advil, . some days late in day i can exercise.

It seemed not so bad in summer, on ok days it was just deep tightness. i am having more anxiety about things now and pain is up. been weeks like this. I dont know if anxiety causes more of it but the pain makes more anxiety so ...bad combination. catch22.

I just want to make sure its wd. are there any of you that have improved???

im close to getting rx of some kind...i have to be able to eat, think, sleep...needing support ..desperate feelings creepin in

[23...]

Kirs,

Don't let it frighten you.  It's all part of the healing process.  I have good days and bad days.  When my histamine is high is when I hurt worse, both cramping and nerve pain.  I can tell because my eczema flares on my scalp it gets red and swollen.  I guess it's cortisol being high also.  When it's lower, and my skin isn't inflamed, I'm not hurting as badly.  Our CNS connects to our immune system, and therefore why even foods affect us, everything is connected.  I feel like I'm making progress, though slow as it may be, and many days I feel like I'm going backwards.  Our brains will heal, some of us slower than others.

Hugs, MG :smitten:

hi havent been here in a while - i see a lot of you a year or 2 out w pain! this frightens me.

Is the pain different for everyone?

I feel it all over like inflamed mostly in am and mornings are very scary place for me. kind of pain where you forget to breath and nauseated, cant eat. Its like 5 hrs before i do much. i try gently stretching, moving, meditate,tumeric, other supps, advil, . some days late in day i can exercise.

It seemed not so bad in summer, on ok days it was just deep tightness. i am having more anxiety about things now and pain is up. been weeks like this. I dont know if anxiety causes more of it but the pain makes more anxiety so ...bad combination. catch22.

I just want to make sure its wd. are there any of you that have improved???

mg - 2yrs?! i wont be able to last that long. its mental torture. i added to my post bout an rx. this pain is like flaming in every possible muscle face to feet. when others say nerve pain or spasms i just dont konw what that means

tues i have a deposition for car accident been ongoin 2 yrs, i hope i can think and sleep

i was told pain can be from depression..i went through some rough periods prebenzo and during. so..really?? when i have ok days like in summer i had, i remember the emot crap im carrying dealin with.(told feelings are heightened till brain recovers) Ive never had a muscle reaction like this to stress before.

i cant tell right now if i need heat or  ice or what..kinda hot tingling over the pain

[23...]

Kris,

It's not like you have a choice, you just have to accept it, and take one day at a time.  My muscle cramps in my injured areas of spine and hips are excruciating, so bad I cannot walk at times, literally pulling on my hip bones like they will break me in half.  I have cramps all over spine, especially where I've had fusion surgery and other issues, and my legs hurt bad and cramp too, nerve pain and cramps. 

It's torturous I agree, but I have faith that I will get through this and on the other side healthier and happier.  You just have to let what's in the past go, and the healing begins, btdt, have many horrible things that happened in my past, I mean life changing extreme stuff.  Forgive, forget, and move on, that stuff will eat you alive.  It was killing me, I decided it was baggage I didn't need.  It was making me sick and suicidal. 

MG

mg - 2yrs?! i wont be able to last that long. its mental torture. i added to my post bout an rx. this pain is like flaming in every possible muscle face to feet. when others say nerve pain or spasms i just dont konw what that means

tues i have a deposition for car accident been ongoin 2 yrs, i hope i can think and sleep

i was told pain can be from depression..i went through some rough periods prebenzo and during. so..really?? when i have ok days like in summer i had, i remember the emot crap im carrying dealin with.(told feelings are heightened till brain recovers) Ive never had a muscle reaction like this to stress before.

i cant tell right now if i need heat or  ice or what..kinda hot tingling over the pain

[23...]

Kris,

Been through 2 car accidents, both drunk drivers who hit me, at 18 & 36.  Was almost paralyzed at 27 from my spine, couldn't get a single doctor to believe me.  Finally found one that did, was 6 months away from being permanently paralyzed due to sciatic nerve being severed.  Second wreck was violent, killed two people, my late hubby one of them.  It really tore me up, car rolled 6x end over end and hit a suburban head on at 75mph, I was conscious for it all.  I should be dead, sometimes I feel like I wish I was.  Hang in there, you will get through this.

Hugs, MG

omg! id need therapy after that! have you improved much? seems like most of your pain is accident related? i heard of flexeral - is that a hard one to stop as well?

i just need to hear there are others that have had so much pain and it DID go away.

Its really wierd how it feels as bad as it was last april and not just one day wave.

i just ordered bottle astaxanthin. does ALA help alot? I take tumeric sometimes, efa/dha, probiotic, magnesium

my sisters husband is goin to get some cbd pills w lowest thc for me to try. I tried a different edible but i dont want the high so he said these better

[23...]

Kris,

I would have died if I hadn't healed, and God healed me of it all.  Yes, most of my pain is accident related, although I have scoliosis which is making it worse.  I have many spine and joint issues still even after 7 spine and joint surgeries.  I have bad knees that need replacing, shoulder issues, bone spurs on my spine and on and on.  Yes flexeril was hard on me, even after tapering for months it tore me up when I quit 10 months ago and I believe extending the recovery.  Many say muscle relaxers are fine, I disagree.  I started taking Astaxathink 12mg back in Feb.  It's amazing, but can make you shaky at times and cause insomnia.  I backed off to 6mg and still have a hard time sleeping, but I had a head injury in the last wreck that causes insomnia, it may not stop you from sleeping.  I feel almost as bad as I did early on with cramps and nerve pain, tho not constant now, but many sx's have left.

Alpha lipoic helps a lot with the twitches and jerks, and vibrations I have.  It doesn't always stop them, but has helped with most.  It doesn't help with the weakness/nerve pain in legs tho.  I take 300mg in the a.m., it too can keep you awake unless you take it early in the day.  You can take 1200mg a day. 

MG

omg! id need therapy after that! have you improved much? seems like most of your pain is accident related? i heard of flexeral - is that a hard one to stop as well?

i just need to hear there are others that have had so much pain and it DID go away.

Its really wierd how it feels as bad as it was last april and not just one day wave.

i just ordered bottle astaxanthin. does ALA help alot? I take tumeric sometimes, efa/dha, probiotic, magnesium

my sisters husband is goin to get some cbd pills w lowest thc for me to try. I tried a different edible but i dont want the high so he said these better