Muscle pain support group

[ha...]

[1d...]

K,

Many of us have it, it just takes time.  My psas, IT band, greater trochanter, hips, sacrum, all hurt, and radiates nerve pain worse than sciatica down legs.  After almost 3 yrs of this, the best things I've found is do acupressure/acupuncture points, I taught myself, massage, acupuncture, and stretches.  Mine got much better around month 24 after non-stop since CT, but then Versed and other bad meds during a surgery in Jan. set me back and I'm in muscle cramp hell again.  It gets better, hang in there.  I stretch 2x a day, some days I cramp and tighten right back up immediately.  It's because of the gaba receptors not working properly.  The excess cortisol and glutamate cause it.

Hugs, MG :hug:

When does this stop? Is there anything I can do to make this go away? I have so much psoas muscle pain. It is causing my thigh to hurt my back. I've heard its BC the gaba? Help. Ty love k

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Aj...]

• [De...]

• [Tr...]

• [Ma...]

Hi,

Has anybody here recovered from their muscle pain?  I've been in terrible total body pain for about a week now.  I'm 11 months off and figure it's some new, weird withdrawal symptom...ugh :sick:  Has anyone found anything that helped relieve the pain?  Sea salt baths, heating pads and a little ibuprofen help some.  Trying medical cannabis to see if that will help.  Thank-you.

PS:  Forgot to add that my family is fighting the stomach flu and I really think I am, too.  Wonder if benzo recovery can make the flu symptoms feel even worse than normal????

• 1 month later...
[1d...]

Just time & acupressure points for me.  I started taking magnesium glycinate with my vitamin D and they have slightly lessened.

MG

Just checking in. Anybody found anything to help the pain?

• 2 weeks later...

As I sit here and write this, my neck, shoulders, jaw, and lower back are aching/throbbing and sore as if I was a 90-year old arthritic man and I'm wondering why when I've never experienced this type of pain before. Granted, these musculoskeletal sxs are prone areas of past wear and tear as is normal for someone who exercises as much as I do and that is nearing 60 (2 more years!). But usually the soreness is mild, transient and tolerable. This time, it's more chronic, like someone turned up the volume, and all previous prone areas are suddenly inflamed at the same time, waxing/waning for the last few weeks - and it's not subsiding. It almost feels as if I had a viral infection, but without the accompanying fever and malaise. I have the urge to reach for an NSAID, or even worse, an opiate, but I refrain!

My latest blood work revealed normal ranges for most everything, no autoimmunity (negative ANA, ESR), no indication of any infections. MRIs only revealed normal age-related disc degeneration which has been gradual, starting in my 30s. Nothing dramatic. No injuries to warrant this. Yes, it could be early signs of arthritis, but I would think the onset would be more gradual, not as sudden, and not hit all these areas at the same time. And with a super clean, gluten and sugar-free diet, regular exercise and a plethora of anti-inflammatory joint supplements I take on a daily basis (i.e. tons of fish oil, magnesium, etc.), it makes even less sense. I would think these sorts of sxs sound more like those from opiate withdrawal.

It wasn't until I perused the many anecdotal posts from past benzo users on BenzoBuddies that I see that muscle and joint pain are very common withdrawal symptoms. Never did I think any of this could be connected to my w/d, however, benzos are in fact muscle relaxants and are prescribed as such (not in my case). Also, these joint/muscle pains started creeping up right around the time I began experiencing my typical withdrawal sxs. What doesn't make sense is why I'm getting hit when I recently updosed - and am holding to try and achieve stabilization. Then again, I am still experiencing my other low-grade w/d sxs as well.

Thus, it seems that my recent updose and hold just isn't working; I have still not stabilized from whatever caused me to destabilize before.

Thoughts ruminating in my head:

- am I dragging out this taper too long? But if I cut any faster, I would only experience an increase in w/d sxs

- a poly-drugged older friend of mine tapered from 4mg of K after being on it for decades; he tapered in a matter of months, jumped about 6 months ago, and seems to be doing fine. How can I be so sensitive?

- am I starting to experience tolerance benzo "tolerance withdrawal" which has been pretty much debunked here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/2233-benzo-tolerance-withdrawal-during-tapering-does-it-exist/

- it seems I start getting into trouble when I get under a dose of ~ .0.30mg daily; this has occurred twice now despite what I consider to be a conservative taper. Seems to be my threshold before the sxs start kicking in.

Whatever these aches/pains are, it's a strong wave. The question now is what to do…

Your thoughts/wisdom is appreciated.

After almost 29 months I just found this thread.

Muscle pain and spasm is one of my worst remaining symptoms.  I have severe flank pain.  Draw a line from your armpit right down to where that line crosses the last rib, that's the worst spot.  I think it is the external obliques.  Although, the pain has been tending towards moving into the kidney region more in the back lately.

The muscles on the front of my thighs hurts sometimes.  The muscles in the occipital region in the back of my neck often hurt.  My hips hurt. I had something like plantar fasciittis which has mostly resolved, but I often times get cramps in both feet.

I worked in my yard yesterday.  Today I hurt all over.  Based past experience I'll be paying for this for a couple of days.

Has anyone found anything to help with this, besides time that is?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey gang! I've never seen this thread before, but it seems like you have some really good info here. I realize that this is a muscle pain group, but I still wanted to ask something about joint pain. I'm hoping you may have some input or may know of a thread related to joint pain. I've definitely dealt with muscle pain too. It's been an ugly ride, and my sig will tell a lot. Anyway, have any of you had any issues with joint pain? I'm a bad person for this issue because I had problems before I even knew what a taper was. I was in a bad car accident which led to a surgery on my back and then again a few years later (I was also rear-ended twice a couple years ago). My knees were doing pretty well considering I used to run lots of marathons and ultra marathons before I learned of the horrors of benzos. I'm almost 2 1/2 years into this taper. Every cut has been a challenge since I'm mega sensitive to literally anything. Almost 24 years of this will create all kinds of problems. Recently though, joint pain kicked in. My back has been a problem for years and PT has helped a lot with it lately, but it's still a challenge. Then all of a sudden my right knee developed a lot of pain while walking up or down stairs. One morning recently when I woke up I noticed that my left knee was painful too...just all of a sudden over night. Weird. Then my hips developed pain...mostly on my right side which is one of my "weakest links" due to walking so weird before surgeries. Maybe the taper attacks the weakest areas of the body first.

My strange joint pain isn't constant, but it comes and goes. On rainy cold days it gets really miserable along with muscle pain that kicks in. I still wanted to jump in here and ask you all. Forgive me if this is strictly a muscle pain thread.

My best to all!!!

Do someone have or had a melt of symptoms including : neck stiffness, strange weakness sensations in legs and back, head foggy and kind of dizziness, it often comes altogether. It's like a general uneasiness to stand up. it hurts the back and neck and gives lot of strange sensations in the spinal cord.

It could be a great relief if someone else have/had this because i'm afraid of something else than withdrawal ...

Not surprisingly, all of my labs are coming out negative for any joint-related diseases (i.e, rheumatoid arthritis factor, CCP, sed rate, CRP, etc.), though I do show signs of disc degeneration and narrowing in the cervical (neck) and lumbar (lower back) spine which is a normal part of aging and not something that started yesterday but over decades, thus aches and pains can be attributable to osteoarthritis which is what most docs will diagnose it as. None will ever says it's withdrawal-related. Nonetheless, I now am not discounting that the recent increase in inflammation is, in fact, not a sudden onset of arthritis, but a symptom of tapering.

The question is WHY NOW when I haven't experienced it on previous setbacks in which I had to hold and/or updose to manage my taper? Have I reached a point of some sort of tolerance withdrawal in which the taper is targeting the prone areas of the body first, amplifying the inflammatory process?

[1d...]

Hi Ultra,

We have a lot in common, car wrecks, spine surgery, bad knees.  I too have the horrific joint pain, back pain knee pain.  After almost 42 months I've figured out my bad knee pain is when I'm cramping in ligaments of knees.  My knees are toast, and wherever we have injuries is where the pain will go. :sick:  Since my surgery setback with Versed in Jan, the nerve pain and cramps have concentrated in my thoracic spine & neck, it's horrific pain.  I also get the hip, IT band, piriformis cramping.  I'm trying to take adaptogenic herbs to heal my CNS, but everything makes me cramp horribly, so having to stagger anything I take.  I got bronchitis 2 days ago so now really miserable.  UGH.    It's the CNS causing this pain for sure.

MG :smitten:

Hey gang! I've never seen this thread before, but it seems like you have some really good info here. I realize that this is a muscle pain group, but I still wanted to ask something about joint pain. I'm hoping you may have some input or may know of a thread related to joint pain. I've definitely dealt with muscle pain too. It's been an ugly ride, and my sig will tell a lot. Anyway, have any of you had any issues with joint pain? I'm a bad person for this issue because I had problems before I even knew what a taper was. I was in a bad car accident which led to a surgery on my back and then again a few years later (I was also rear-ended twice a couple years ago). My knees were doing pretty well considering I used to run lots of marathons and ultra marathons before I learned of the horrors of benzos. I'm almost 2 1/2 years into this taper. Every cut has been a challenge since I'm mega sensitive to literally anything. Almost 24 years of this will create all kinds of problems. Recently though, joint pain kicked in. My back has been a problem for years and PT has helped a lot with it lately, but it's still a challenge. Then all of a sudden my right knee developed a lot of pain while walking up or down stairs. One morning recently when I woke up I noticed that my left knee was painful too...just all of a sudden over night. Weird. Then my hips developed pain...mostly on my right side which is one of my "weakest links" due to walking so weird before surgeries. Maybe the taper attacks the weakest areas of the body first.

My strange joint pain isn't constant, but it comes and goes. On rainy cold days it gets really miserable along with muscle pain that kicks in. I still wanted to jump in here and ask you all. Forgive me if this is strictly a muscle pain thread.

My best to all!!!

Not surprisingly, all of my labs are coming out negative for any joint-related diseases (i.e, rheumatoid arthritis factor, CCP, sed rate, CRP, etc.), though I do show signs of disc degeneration and narrowing in the cervical (neck) and lumbar (lower back) spine which is a normal part of aging and not something that started yesterday but over decades, thus aches and pains can be attributable to osteoarthritis which is what most docs will diagnose it as. None will ever says it's withdrawal-related. Nonetheless, I now am not discounting that the recent increase in inflammation is, in fact, not a sudden onset of arthritis, but a symptom of tapering.

The question is WHY NOW when I haven't experienced it on previous setbacks in which I had to hold and/or updose to manage my taper? Have I reached a point of some sort of tolerance withdrawal in which the taper is targeting the prone areas of the body first, amplifying the inflammatory process?

Hi csm, since your CRP etc came back normal, then how do you know you have an increase in inflammation? From your pain??

Thanks!

Hi Ultra,

We have a lot in common, car wrecks, spine surgery, bad knees.  I too have the horrific joint pain, back pain knee pain.  After almost 42 months I've figured out my bad knee pain is when I'm cramping in ligaments of knees.  My knees are toast, and wherever we have injuries is where the pain will go. :sick:  Since my surgery setback with Versed in Jan, the nerve pain and cramps have concentrated in my thoracic spine & neck, it's horrific pain.  I also get the hip, IT band, piriformis cramping.  I'm trying to take adaptogenic herbs to heal my CNS, but everything makes me cramp horribly, so having to stagger anything I take.  I got bronchitis 2 days ago so now really miserable.  UGH.    It's the CNS causing this pain for sure.

My best to all!!!

Mercy, MG!! You've definitely been down the killer path. You obviously have great strength to endure all of this. And thank you for explaining things. I've been in this game for quite a while, so I guess I just need to chalk up "pains and miseries" to the damn benzo. I was doing fairly well with joint/muscle pain until recently. 2 1/2 years of this surely catches up with you!!

By the way, what is "Versed"?

Why do you think all of your problems linger considering you've been off meds for years? Too much C/T???

Bless your heart!

Hi csm, since your CRP etc came back normal, then how do you know you have an increase in inflammation? From your pain??

Thanks!

Good question. Either this increase in joint pain/inflammation isn't showing up in the CRP/ESR or it's withdrawal. Unless I am seronegative for RA, I can cross RA off the list of possibilities. OA, however, is still a strong possibility, the only exception being that this was more a sudden as opposed to gradual onset on pain which is not a hallmark of OA.

[1d...]

Ultra,

Versed is a benzo they use for anesthesia in surgery, probably the most common anesthesia.  I was doing better at 31 months and setback during surgery.  They also gave me Sevoflurane, a fluoride-based anesthesia, and two other anesthesias, 16 drugs in all, after I had talked to this nitwit Anesthesiologist 3x before surgery!  UGH.  It gets to me, the thoracic cramps and nerve pain are extreme at times.  I don't know I would call it strength, what choice do we have but to endure?  I need another surgery very soon, so praying I heal quickly.  This time I'm making sure in surgery suite before they put me out, no Versed, no Fluoroquinlones, or any fluoride based drugs, no adrenaline, steroids etc.  I think the problem is the Anesthesiologist who does pre-surgery interview is never the one who works on case in surgery, at least that's my experience.  So going to lay down the law next time before they put me out.

Hi Ultra,

My best to all!!!

Mercy, MG!! You've definitely been down the killer path. You obviously have great strength to endure all of this. And thank you for explaining things. I've been in this game for quite a while, so I guess I just need to chalk up "pains and miseries" to the damn benzo. I was doing fairly well with joint/muscle pain until recently. 2 1/2 years of this surely catches up with you!!

Why do you think all of your problems linger considering you've been off meds for years? Too much C/T???

Bless your heart!

CSM; Did you have ANA tested? That will show an inflammation issue---If Sed rate and others ok then I think you can rule out RA, etc...but the ANA may tell you if you are having actual inflammation response.

CSM; Did you have ANA tested? That will show an inflammation issue---If Sed rate and others ok then I think you can rule out RA, etc...but the ANA may tell you if you are having actual inflammation response.

Yes, also had both ANA and RA tested - both negative. So, boils down to OA or w/d-related or a combo  :-X

That's good. At least you can rest easy. Two years ago had full panel and all negative. Two years into taper and ANA now very high (not good) and hand and foot pain bad---but Dr says other numbers don't support a diagnosis---YET! Dyin.

That's good. At least you can rest easy. Two years ago had full panel and all negative. Two years into taper and ANA now very high (not good) and hand and foot pain bad---but Dr says other numbers don't support a diagnosis---YET! Dyin.

Did you run a test for RA, CCP? ANA is a non-specific marker unless it reflexes to a specific antibody (i.e RA, Lupus. etc.).

After almost 29 months I just found this thread.

Muscle pain and spasm is one of my worst remaining symptoms.  I have severe flank pain.  Draw a line from your armpit right down to where that line crosses the last rib, that's the worst spot.  I think it is the external obliques.  Although, the pain has been tending towards moving into the kidney region more in the back lately.

The muscles on the front of my thighs hurts sometimes.  The muscles in the occipital region in the back of my neck often hurt.  My hips hurt. I had something like plantar fasciittis which has mostly resolved, but I often times get cramps in both feet.

I worked in my yard yesterday.  Today I hurt all over.  Based past experience I'll be paying for this for a couple of days.

Has anyone found anything to help with this, besides time that is?

Hi again, Nathan.  I follow a lot of your posts since I also quit Lunesta and am astonished about how the pain you describe is identical to my own -- with the exception of the crummy flank pain you have.

I had X-rays of my hips since the left hurt so much.  they dxd osteoarthritis - something since the taper - weird but physical therapy - when I stick with it - helps enormously.  I am trying to avoid a hip replacement.

I also have plantar fasciitis. on the right foot.  Never wear flip flops with that issue.  And after losing 5or 6 lbs and wearing an arch shoe insert -  that has not been so bad.

Don't make yourself crazy but I learned that I have genetic mutations common to many folks but may figure into the pain stuff.  I am heterozygous for the MTHFR gene - both (C677T, A1298C).  Apparently both Advil and Tylenol can actually exacerbate muscle pain which explains why that stuff hasn't helped me much.  I'm going to try aspirin.  There are several FB support groups on this DNA stuff. 

I get the base of the skull pain, too. When it morphs into a migraine, I am lucky with Imitrex but use sparingly.  W

Csm: Thanks. Right. that is what doctor said. The other tests did NOT indicate RA or Lupus. That said, my ANA was negative 2 years ago (when I began taper) and is at 640 now which is quite high. What the heck does that mean???? Still she said not indicative but scared the hell out of me and managed to ruin Thanksgiving.

Csm: Thanks. Right. that is what doctor said. The other tests did NOT indicate RA or Lupus. That said, my ANA was negative 2 years ago (when I began taper) and is at 640 now which is quite high. What the heck does that mean???? Still she said not indicative but scared the hell out of me and managed to ruin Thanksgiving.

Your doctor should've ordered an ANA test with a reflex which, when +, would've reflexed to a test which would've pinpointed the antibodies to a specific disease. I wouldn't hesitate to re-run the test with a reflex, and that way, you'll know for sure. False + ANAs are very common, and I've had them myself in the past, so it may very well be benign and nothing to worry about, however, one that elevated is highly suspect. It may turn out that your doc is right and that it is not clinically significant, but better to be safe than sorry and re-check.

csn;

thanks. i can't deal with it right now. it's too scary to me. i don't want the drugs they will give me if i do have an AI disease. I'm going to wait a bit but thanks for thoughtful response. I'm going head in the sand.

Ultra,

Versed is a benzo they use for anesthesia in surgery, probably the most common anesthesia.  I was doing better at 31 months and setback during surgery.  They also gave me Sevoflurane, a fluoride-based anesthesia, and two other anesthesias, 16 drugs in all, after I had talked to this nitwit Anesthesiologist 3x before surgery!  UGH.  It gets to me, the thoracic cramps and nerve pain are extreme at times.  I don't know I would call it strength, what choice do we have but to endure?  I need another surgery very soon, so praying I heal quickly.  This time I'm making sure in surgery suite before they put me out, no Versed, no Fluoroquinlones, or any fluoride based drugs, no adrenaline, steroids etc.  I think the problem is the Anesthesiologist who does pre-surgery interview is never the one who works on case in surgery, at least that's my experience.  So going to lay down the law next time before they put me out.

Hi Ultra,

My best to all!!!

Bless your heart!

Hearing things like that just really ticks me off. I'm so sick of doctors not listening and also making careless mistakes. I told my surgeon at my last surgery what I was going through, drug interactions, etc. When surgery day rolled around my anesthesiologist was not informed about my situation. Long story, but surgery was delayed six hours. I told them I wasn't going to do it unless they got their crap together. The surgeon then hustled to get things organized. I was just a dollar sign to him. Hang tight, and I hope you have great success with your next surgery. I'm pullin' for ya!!!