Muscle pain support group

[ha...]

[95...]

Hi everyone,

I'm so glad to have found and joined this site. Thank goodness for the administrators of benzo buddies. I'm down to .25 mg Klonopin, I've held for a couple of months, and my pain has gotten better. I can totally relate to what you are saying, yes any old injuries always resurface during benzo withdrawals, and minor pains become major pains. At my worst I get pain in my feet, ankles, achilles tendon, calves, hamstrings, wrist and abdominal muscle (left side). Probably the most annoying is my right food locks up and feels like it's in a vice. I hate that. Now it's weird, Some days I have no withdrawal symptoms, other days I have some of them, others still I have all of them. Did/do other people cycle like that (I guess just uneven amounts of Klonopin in the blood supply). I need to turn my K into a liquid and take it 3 times a day instead one pill per day.

Turmeric, Ginger, Boswellia, and an eastern medicine formula called bamboo pearl help me. I'll have to try the Magnesium oil. Everyone says exercise helps, but generally when I exercise, whatever muscles I exercised just hurt. Klonopin is a terrible drug.

I would like to try Yoga.

Hi B,

I've never had sx-less total days except one.  I have much better days but still have nerve pain and muscle cramps to to some extent even if minor.  I go for acupuncture once a week, it helps some weeks, others I flare, but I know overall it's helping, he's working on my whole body/CNS.

That you don't have sx's all the time is a good sign, I would say you will heal faster than most.  Many never get windows at all throughout recovery.

Hugs, MG

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Aj...]

• [De...]

• [Tr...]

• [Ma...]

What a horrible drug. I would like to know who is profiting off of this, and how the literature the doctors are reading downplays the sxs.

I feel for you guys who never get any relief. I have temporary relief. I wish we could all get together and talk in person. This site becomes a little bit overwhelming at times.

thanks MG - i didnt have that stabbing sx till recently. a nerve huh

I do accupuncture too - usually for anxiety n sleep. she can only do so many sx at once cause of the time involved putting in needles. I did cranio sacral and pt alongside so i dont know which worked the most!

[95...]

Kris,

My acupunturist works on my whole system, then does a couple extra for cramps, nerve pain, my swollen spleen, etc.  He does the ones on the belly for whole body healing balance.

B,  I hear you Brother.  :thumbsup: I wanted to add you won't really know until you are done tapering how it will go, some do better, some don't, but it seems like many who have a hard time tapering suffer longer.  I personally CT'ed, so can't speak for that.  But it seems positive you are having it fairly easy now.

Hugs of healing to both of you, MG :smitten:

I've posted a few times about weird muscle pain etc. Seems unfair that it isn't enough to have brain/psychological stuff, but also all this achy/crampy/sore stuff. Never really thought about the CNS being such a dominant factor-duh :o-with the brain/body. "Attack of the retreating benzos-GABA & glutamate levels go wonky :crazy:!"

Guess we just have to hang on, do what we can activity wise, and ride out the roller coaster of pain and discomfort. I've tried some human supplements (versions of which work great on my dog and horse), but nothing really seems to help me but Advil at times, and icing body parts. Living in a land of snow, I hate :tickedoff: icing in the winter (inside of course!); with the summer approaching it gets more appealing ::).

Okay Buddies I am so much pain I can puke and it happens only when I don't sleep I wake up and it's killing me. Yesterday I got up after sleeping 8 hours go figure how I think maybe the Tylenol I don't know but I'm wondering if this all started when I couldn't sleep in the muscle pain became worse over the year and the reason I couldn't sleep was I was having fears. I doubt im really having klon wd some days  I hope so because if it's emotional I'm really messed up

Do any of you experience this connection w the tense burning muscle and less sleep? What the hell?! so much anxiety. just trying to breath :sick: :sick: :sick:

my nerves on on high alert

i just started boswelia. took 4 advil, one tumeric and one zyflemmend. ate a few bites cottage chs w pear and nauseated. i felt great yesterday just a little stiff. i pulled weeds for less than an hour and stretched and tookit easy rest of night.

can anyone reassure me or give advice??

btw last aug a dr did blood and did a muscle enzyme test which never explained what that was but musta been ok

Kris, sorry for your suffering. SAM-E can help with pain and depression. It's worth trying anything. Go on Amazon and find SAM-E without mannitol (I believe) that can make you nausea. I would just search and try a little bit of everything. One at a time.

Yes, nighttime can be the worst, because during the day you're distracted. At night as you lie in bed all you have are your thoughts and the pain, so it's more noticeable. If you're having insomnia, it's best to distract yourself. At this time of great suffering, it's good to read about mindfulness, something spiritual, or really just anything you're interested in. Look at it as an opportunity to learn something.

As for pain, when mine is really bad, I may rest in a recliner, or on a couch where I can prop my feet up. I find my pain is pressure related, so if I'm not putting pressure on my calves, hamstrings there is not as much pain. The best advice I received was that you somehow have to become comfortable with pain. Idk how, but somehow you have to accept the pain, and get on living. If anyone has any advice on that please share, perhaps there are books on it.

Peace be with you, we are on a difficult journey.

[90...]

I wish people would start brainstorming ways to deal with our symptoms. To often everyone just lists them and that's it. I get acupuncture, and that is hands down, the best remedy for pain. However, it's pain. My acupuncturist just said you have to just get comfortable with the pain. I thought distraction, but he said no comfortable, because when you distract yourself, the worry always comes back. So somehow you just have to accept the pain. Minimize as much as is possible, but accept it. I don't know how to do that.

I could illustrate that for you which may help.

One night, I'd ran out of paracetamol, I was waiting to have a tooth out as the root had become infected and an abscess had formed.

The throbbing kept me awake.

One night I decided to place my physical awareness on the tooth.

I relaxed into the pain and was able to get to sleep.

Its like, if you can 'be with' the pain, somehow it dissolves.

Nowadays if teeth flare up while waiting for dentist I use salt water, but back then I didn't know about it.

I'm sure this will help you, let us know how you get on.

thanks so much for the responses! actually i am more calm in evening and fall asleep. i toss or wake up too early. the days have more anxiety. the early am anxiety has gone but it happens thorugh the day. I dont know if i can take sam e with remeron?

hi buddies please i really need reassurance today...have ANY of you heard from a knowledgeable source that this terrible muscle pain burning etc is really a wd sx and does it go away?? its everywhere. im feeling hopeless today :'( It creates so much anxiety and depression and even lack of appetite, motivation.

I cant see another post how someone is 18 mo and w pain. I feel like its my only real sx. if i dont sleep enough its unreal

Today i feel nauseated a little and foggy/cant think and anxiety when i try doing anything. so weak. is this really a wave or something else??

[90...]

hi buddies please i really need reassurance today...have ANY of you heard from a knowledgeable source that this terrible muscle pain burning etc is really a wd sx and does it go away?? its everywhere. im feeling hopeless today :'( It creates so much anxiety and depression and even lack of appetite, motivation.

I cant see another post how someone is 18 mo and w pain. I feel like its my only real sx. if i dont sleep enough its unreal

Today i feel nauseated a little and foggy/cant think and anxiety when i try doing anything. so weak. is this really a wave or something else??

Over the years of being on this forum, Ive read that muscle pain and burining are a common sx, and yes I also read that they do go away.

One miracle thing that relaxes  my muscles even outside of benzo wd is magnsium oil. It can be got cheaply at iherb.

I spray it on my arms legs neck and torso twice a day.

Transdermal magnesium is also better cos it bypasses the digestive system, as magesium doesnt get on too well with digestion and tends to make people poo more.

Gippy tummy.

Therre's also epsom salt baths. I shower mostly, thats why I use the oil. it also acts as a moisturiser and an deodorant. ITs odd, cos its a salt mag chloride, so you'd think it'd dry the skin but it doesnt dry mine.

Anyway, magnesium really can be a miracle cure for some things.

It even gets me off to sleep.

thanks Journey!  i have the magnesium oil spray but didnt notice much. I guess id have to ask dr for transdermal? that is interesting. i take mag but not as much as before. i thought i might be doin too much even though it didnt affect my poo

Im just amazed that its hitting me hard now at 14 wks off, like last summer. I had no sleep then either. Got sleep w remeron all winter but its hit or miss now. and it makes a difference on the pain.

thank you for responding!

I wish people would start brainstorming ways to deal with our symptoms. To often everyone just lists them and that's it. I get acupuncture, and that is hands down, the best remedy for pain. However, it's pain. My acupuncturist just said you have to just get comfortable with the pain. I thought distraction, but he said no comfortable, because when you distract yourself, the worry always comes back. So somehow you just have to accept the pain. Minimize as much as is possible, but accept it. I don't know how to do that.

I found that myofascial massage was extremely helpful for my muscle pain, one of several of my worst symptoms. I tried myofascial massage as a last resort, and very glad I did. It is quite painful, but I get relief from pain after--I can do it myself at home after learning from my therapist.

[90...]

thanks Journey!  i have the magnesium oil spray but didnt notice much. I guess id have to ask dr for transdermal? that is interesting. i take mag but not as much as before. i thought i might be doin too much even though it didnt affect my poo

Im just amazed that its hitting me hard now at 14 wks off, like last summer. I had no sleep then either. Got sleep w remeron all winter but its hit or miss now. and it makes a difference on the pain.

thank you for responding!

hi

Sorry you are still being hit by benzo wd at 14mths off, did you do a cold turkey?

The oil is transdermal, you spray it on your skin, magnesium is much better absorbed that way, they call it oil, as it feel oilyish and moisturises your skin, yet it's a salt, magnesium chloride, so that is a bit confusing.

I found that myofascial massage was extremely helpful for my muscle pain, one of several of my worst symptoms. I tried myofascial massage as a last resort, and very glad I did. It is quite painful, but I get relief from pain after--I can do it myself at home after learning from my therapist.

How do you know you kindled? Curious. And what's the consequence?

How do you know you kindled? Curious. And what's the consequence?

The first 2 times I took Lorazepam at low dose for a short time, like 3 months each time. Cold turkeyed the first time because I did not know any better and don't recall any withdrawal symptoms. Second time I tapered but did not have any withdrawal symptoms until a few weeks after last dose and, as I recall, I did have chest pressure/breathing issues as well as insomnia problems. It went away by 6 months and, at the time, I did not connect the problems I was having with Lorazepam withdrawal. I honestly did not know what had happened to me.

The third time ( I did a 3 month taper) and because I had taken Lorazepam twice before, it "kindled" my central nervous system causing hyper sensitivity and a much stronger withdrawal. It was sheer hell the first year and off and on this past year. I still have waves of intense chest pressure/breathing problems and POTS symptoms when I over do it or when I eat chocolate, sugar, caffeine, or foods high in glutamine.

Still wake up around 3 AM every night. But the waves don't last as long, sometimes only a few hours. I can function now fairly well now, except sometimes the waves knock me back. My energy level has improved and I have been really working to lower high cortisol level. Hypoglycemia symptoms are much better now and I can only hope that my next blood test shows that my A1c reading has come down. I'm at month 25 now--never thought i would still be having problems at this point. But that is how kindling can really cause a long healing process.

If you have the money you might as well try a number of different things. The number one, side effect-free, treatment for me is acupuncture, but that costs money. Other than that supplements: turmeric, boswellia, ginger, SAM-E, glucosamine chondroitin

Do research and experiment.

Hi buddies i went for a walk today and went up  some hills not huge ones but noticed the pain increasing and felt like omg im gonna give myself a wave,.,,or...was already heading for one, i dont know. but i noticed it felt good at the grocery standing w the freezer door open...does anyone do ice esp after exercise? Id really love to push a little exercising but short periods if icing will help. i know we are supposed to exercise! I always thought the hot shower was to help tight muscles but its the burning fatiguing muscle pain that maybe needs ice?

I used to hate icing (living in Canada will do that to ya, even if you like skiing etc.!), but I've found it to be quite helpful over the past year; the effects don't always last for a long time, but in general it's given me a fair amount of pain relief.

You can also alternate ice and heat, if that works for you. I keep 3 flexible ice packs/pads in the freezer; they're about 12"x6", and in a sort of sleeve with Velcro straps if you need to wrap them around a leg or arm (or not). About 10 bucks at the drug store.

Good luck, this muscle/sore stuff stinks!

• 2 weeks later...
I've noticed over the last month  since I've crossed over my evening dose of Ativan to Valium I have a constant dull ache in my neck, shoulders and arms and hand. Mostly on my right and I assume it's because I have Lyme neuropathy that affects just that right arm. I wake up every morning stiff and unable to use that side very well, it does get somewhat better as the day goes on but nothing to jump up and down about.  Is this constant dull/stiff ache withdrawl? It's worse during a low pressure weather pattern. I've never had this much pain until the Valium crossover. Is Valium known to create more pain, or is it just Benzo withdrawl and not specific to Valium.  Does anyone else feel this ache in their upper extremities? Thank you.

I have this type of pain too in shoulder, neck and extending up over head to eye. I believe it is a withdrawal symptom. I tested this out some time back...pain went away with higher dose of Zopiclone and returned with lower amounts. That is before I stabilized dose.

I have it again to-day after a good period. Perhaps I am cutting too quickly? Perhaps atmospheric pressure? Who knows! I will hold for a few days and see if my body adjusts. Hope so!

Mine is on the left side most of the time.

The pain is by far my most disturbing symptom, it's a fairly long story but the pain marks the beginning of my symptoms.

At the time it started I was taking my regular chronic medications; antiretrovirals, fluanxol 1mg and 10mg Diazepam for over two years.

I had spasms, tension and pain along my left jaw, behind the left eye and left ear area that didn't respond to painkillers and it felt like my ear was occasionally tense for no reason.

I saw my GP and he suggested I come off the fluanxol, I wasn't too sure about this so I went to see my psychiatrist to get a second opinion and he said the same thing and suggested a rapid taper off fluanxol. He said that there was no point in me taking fluanxol because I was not psychotic in the slightest and it only put me at risk for problems later down the line. Fluanxol is an antipsych and an antidepressant.

Once I was off the fluanxol the problem did not go away and I started vomiting every morning so I thought it could be something else, probably my Ecigarette; so I quit that and was plunged into a deep depression all while still having this pain.

The pain became so intense that it threw me into a deep depression and I cried daily for weeks, I went to see my doctor about this and he was only concerned with the depression and gave me a script for valdoxan (a metalonin agonist based antidepressant) and also some anti nausea meds (that didn't work)

When I started taking valdoxan a new pain started, my shoulders began to burn and the original jaw/head pain stopped, it felt like it was on fire and was on and off randomly.

After a few weeks of this I decided to stop the valdoxan as the leaflet stated is fine to do as it was not helping, lo and behold the burning shoulders went away and the jaw ear tension pain came back... I decided to try see my doctor AGAIN.  :tickedoff:

My regular doctor was on holiday so I saw a different one at the same practice, I described the problem and I was given a script for Epitec for nerve pain and suggested that I get a CT/MRI to check for tumors which I could not afford so I sought to get it done via government healthcare program and went on a waiting list.

The Epitec took away ALL my emotions, I felt like the undead. For some reason the burning shoulders came back too, only this time the ear problem did not go away.

I went to my regular GP after a week of this as I was zombified and could not live without emotion, he swapped me from epitec to tegrerol... This did not help at all.....

I saw him once more and he swapped me from tegretol to rivotril (clonazepam) 4mg a day.  :crazy:

I had trouble sleeping and felt EVEN worse!

After a month of this it was time to check in with the hospital for my MRI scan, they said the MRI was not working and they'd call me back when it was working again to reschedule. (They never called back, this was last year November... welcome to South Africa  :crazy:)

I lost all appetite and will to live, I had no emotions, I couldn't remember anything, I could not eat and had to force feed and would often throw up, the pain did not stop and from November last year to January this year I was a zombie... I decided to start vaping my ecig again out of desperation that it might help..

I went to the ER in January and they prescribed an expensive anti nausea medication that usually is given to cancer patients. It worked... I was surprised, since nothing else worked for it before. At least now I was able to eat. I could only afford 8 doses.

After this I went back to see a new doctor as I'd had enough of the same doctor messing things up.

The doctor suggested I come off the benzos so I started to taper.

The pain has since then escalated. It was shoulders only, then upper back, then mid back too, then lower back until it was the entire back and more recently the buttocks as well. I also have knots in my back that just don't go away no matter what I try.

I would describe the pain as having sandpaper on your skin with regular somatic muscle pain, it's sensitive to pressure, fabric rubbing and temperature changes.

Occasionally I have burning skin feelings in random places, although it's always symmetrical, like it'll always be both legs, or both arms. Never the feet or hands though and nothing as constant as the back pain.

I also get random shooting pains like a needle jab anywhere on my body, muscle spasms and of course the regular anxiety, depression and insomnia. The anxiety, spasms and insomnia go away after 2-3 weeks of a cut but the pain and depression has been there throughout the entire tapering process.

The thing that helps me the most is a bath or a swim, it stops the pain fast and usually lasts for an hour or so.

I really hope this gets better. I'm going on 8 months of chronic pain now, I have had about 4 windows which I am grateful for, though when it ends I always wonder why or whether it really is from benzo withdrawal.

Thank you for reading, looking forward to responses.

[95...]

The pain is by far my most disturbing symptom, it's a fairly long story but the pain marks the beginning of my symptoms.

At the time it started I was taking my regular chronic medications; antiretrovirals, fluanxol 1mg and 10mg Diazepam for over two years.

I had spasms, tension and pain along my left jaw, behind the left eye and left ear area that didn't respond to painkillers and it felt like my ear was occasionally tense for no reason.

I saw my GP and he suggested I come off the fluanxol, I wasn't too sure about this so I went to see my psychiatrist to get a second opinion and he said the same thing and suggested a rapid taper off fluanxol. He said that there was no point in me taking fluanxol because I was not psychotic in the slightest and it only put me at risk for problems later down the line. Fluanxol is an antipsych and an antidepressant.

Once I was off the fluanxol the problem did not go away and I started vomiting every morning so I thought it could be something else, probably my Ecigarette; so I quit that and was plunged into a deep depression all while still having this pain.

The pain became so intense that it threw me into a deep depression and I cried daily for weeks, I went to see my doctor about this and he was only concerned with the depression and gave me a script for valdoxan (a metalonin agonist based antidepressant) and also some anti nausea meds (that didn't work)

When I started taking valdoxan a new pain started, my shoulders began to burn and the original jaw/head pain stopped, it felt like it was on fire and was on and off randomly.

After a few weeks of this I decided to stop the valdoxan as the leaflet stated is fine to do as it was not helping, lo and behold the burning shoulders went away and the jaw ear tension pain came back... I decided to try see my doctor AGAIN.  :tickedoff:

My regular doctor was on holiday so I saw a different one at the same practice, I described the problem and I was given a script for Epitec for nerve pain and suggested that I get a CT/MRI to check for tumors which I could not afford so I sought to get it done via government healthcare program and went on a waiting list.

The Epitec took away ALL my emotions, I felt like the undead. For some reason the burning shoulders came back too, only this time the ear problem did not go away.

I went to my regular GP after a week of this as I was zombified and could not live without emotion, he swapped me from epitec to tegrerol... This did not help at all.....

I saw him once more and he swapped me from tegretol to rivotril (clonazepam) 4mg a day.  :crazy:

I had trouble sleeping and felt EVEN worse!

After a month of this it was time to check in with the hospital for my MRI scan, they said the MRI was not working and they'd call me back when it was working again to reschedule. (They never called back, this was last year November... welcome to South Africa  :crazy:)

I lost all appetite and will to live, I had no emotions, I couldn't remember anything, I could not eat and had to force feed and would often throw up, the pain did not stop and from November last year to January this year I was a zombie... I decided to start vaping my ecig again out of desperation that it might help..

I went to the ER in January and they prescribed an expensive anti nausea medication that usually is given to cancer patients. It worked... I was surprised, since nothing else worked for it before. At least now I was able to eat. I could only afford 8 doses.

After this I went back to see a new doctor as I'd had enough of the same doctor messing things up.

The doctor suggested I come off the benzos so I started to taper.

The pain has since then escalated. It was shoulders only, then upper back, then mid back too, then lower back until it was the entire back and more recently the buttocks as well. I also have knots in my back that just don't go away no matter what I try.

I would describe the pain as having sandpaper on your skin with regular somatic muscle pain, it's sensitive to pressure, fabric rubbing and temperature changes.

Occasionally I have burning skin feelings in random places, although it's always symmetrical, like it'll always be both legs, or both arms. Never the feet or hands though and nothing as constant as the back pain.

I also get random shooting pains like a needle jab anywhere on my body, muscle spasms and of course the regular anxiety, depression and insomnia. The anxiety, spasms and insomnia go away after 2-3 weeks of a cut but the pain and depression has been there throughout the entire tapering process.

The thing that helps me the most is a bath or a swim, it stops the pain fast and usually lasts for an hour or so.

I really hope this gets better. I'm going on 8 months of chronic pain now, I have had about 4 windows which I am grateful for, though when it ends I always wonder why or whether it really is from benzo withdrawal.

Thank you for reading, looking forward to responses.

Hi T,

It's all benzo sx's.  I'm not familiar with the rx's you took, I live in the US.  I'm at 23 months and just starting to get a break from all the nerve pain, muscle cramps/spasms and the rest.  My condition is a bit extreme tho compared to most.  Two bad wrecks caused by drunk drivers, multiple spine and joint surgeries, and many years on 8-12 pills at a time.

I had one day that was totally a window, that was Sept. 14, 2014, about 4 months out CT.  I've had several almost total window days, but mostly I just have days where I'm a 3-4, then on wave days I'm a 5-9.  The window days are becoming more regular now, thankfully.

I still have night sweats, insomnia nights, eczema, dry skin, tinnitus, cortisol surges and looping brain in morning, along with anxiety.  My liver and spleen are also enlarged from my iron being high (from wd).  I can tell I'm making progress tho.  Hang in there!

MG :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all!  (EDIT- realized I'm responding to post rather than starting new one. Not sure how to do that within a support group...)

Sorry you're all dealing w/ muscle pain issues...and all the rest. No fun.Newer to the site- I'm holding at .75mg of klon for 3+ wks after w/d slam at 7wks- followed Ashton, still went to fast.

I am finally out of the terror stage but woke up w/ spontaneous right scapula muscle spasm/pain. Neck involved too-

painful to turn neck to right. The whole shoulder girdle and upper right arm effected but pain mostly at point on scapula and when turning neck.

I've had no injuries here but assume this is part of this benzo journey- have other signs of muscle tighteness- jaw clenching, PF flaring etc.

I've read through posts looking for relief. I've found the following things to try....

CBD oil-have not tried

astaxanthin- have not tried

Lavender oil- smells good!/ no change

Magnesium Oil- no change

Epsom salts baths- not much if any change

Massage- temporary relief but in more pain the next day (Didn't try mf release but perhaps shall.)

Advil- should try but not keen on taking this poison very often

Tennis ball/other- put pressure on tender point- will try- prob will feel good perhaps

Anything I'm missing that can help w/ this?

It seems any usual route (PT, chiro, acupuncture)for this would only give temporary relief at best due to it being secondary to CNS/benzo w/d

It's about a 6/7 out of 10 on pain scale- so enough to be rather uncomfortable (No comparison to the brain misery but tg, that is better.)

Thanks for any input and updates on what has really helped would be great! Cheers.

[95...]

Acupressure points help me more than anything, that and ibuprofen, it actually puts me in a half window when I'm flaring bad.  Astaxathin I absolutely love!  but......  it gave me horrid insomnia, but I had a head injury in last wreck I was in, and normally can't sleep well.  It may not affect you that badly.  It got rid of goopy eyes, gave me a feeling of well being, etc. I felt better on that then I have the whole 2 yrs of this miserable process!  Have you considered trying some low-histamine probiotics?  Our guts are 80% of our immune system and connected to brain, my acupuncturist says it is our second brain, so until it heals totally our brains don't either.

Hugs, MG :smitten: