Post Benzo Freedom Withdrawal Support Group

[ve...]

Well, this post benzo buddie is still struggling. Have had a return of the Itchy Skin Syndrome, which I detest! Also that disgusting formication thingie, where it feels like bugs crawling on you. And I now have a phobia about bugs, so this is truly bothersome!

And cog fog seems worse in some ways but in others it seems better. Man oh man, this is a real thrill a minute, isnt it?

8 monthes and counting.....

east

Have you tried benadryl?  With Spring around the corner, I wonder if some are more susceptible to allergies now?

V

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ve...]

• [gi...]

• [pa...]

• [An...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont think Benedryl will help good old benzo w/d symptoms, and thats what they are, not allergies. I have used benedryl for sleep and it didnt do a darn thing. Boo hoo

east

Any more post benzo buddies who are off the benzo recently or not so recently and experiencing some symptoms that you may wish to share?

[c9...]

Any more post benzo buddies who are off the benzo recently or not so recently and experiencing some symptoms that you may wish to share?

Yes I would like to share something Vertigo....... what is the constant beating, pounding, vibrating sensation that I now feel within my body?  I am just short of 5.5 months out.

towardsthesun

Well, this post benzo buddie is still struggling. Have had a return of the Itchy Skin Syndrome, which I detest! Also that disgusting formication thingie, where it feels like bugs crawling on you. And I now have a phobia about bugs, so this is truly bothersome!

And cog fog seems worse in some ways but in others it seems better. Man oh man, this is a real thrill a minute, isnt it?

8 monthes and counting.....

east

Hi east,

My skin feels so weird, I think of that saying " I don't feel comfortable in my own skin "  I've never had this in my life...it's dry, cold, and bumpy..but doesn't feel like its really my skin..and nothing makes it feel better..it's hard to explain this stuff..my skin has the dreads..

Hopenow  :smitten:

Yes I would like to share something Vertigo....... what is the constant beating, pounding, vibrating sensation that I now feel within my body?  I am just short of 5.5 months out.

towardsthesun

Hi Towards.  I have heard of the vibration symptoms, but not sure what you are referring to with beating and pounding?  If you are referring to a beating heart, that could be a reflection of elevated blood pressure, which I did have in the first six months off valium.  Perhaps others will weigh in with a response.

Vertigo

[c9...]

Hi there Vertigo,

This symptom and crippling headaches, became really noticeable about 6 weeks ago and doesnt let up. I will have my blood pressure checked next week at the Dr.

Any advice on how to soothe this symptom?

Cheers

Hi Toward,

i have all those symptoms you mentioned. a constant beating, pounding and inner vibration and inner tremor. i think it happens to the ones who have c/t a little more often and a little longer. i still have it although now it comes in waves, like right now, all of that vibration is just a little better after having a long wave of the revving sensation throughout my brain--it's really coming from my brain that makes my whole body feel revved like that.

Hopenow, i totally relate to that feeling on not feeling like you're in your own skin. this isn't my real skin and i sure hope it's changes.

pretty

Hi there Vertigo, This symptom and crippling headaches, became really noticeable about 6 weeks ago and doesnt let up. I will have my blood pressure checked next week at the Dr.

Cheers

I think the advice you have given yourself is probably the best, which is to check your BP.  You don't have to wait to see the doctor next week to do that.  You can go to most pharmacies like Walgreens, CVS, RiteAid.... even some larger supermarkets and they will either have a machine which you can sit down and check it yourself with or one of the pharmacists or techs will manually check it for you.  You can also buy a device to check BP at home.  Good idea to see the doctor too, if you are concerned. 

As for the vibrations or what Pretty also refers to as tremors, I think I have heard or read  more of that symptom from some who used klonopin. I'm not saying it's restricted to that benzo, but it just feels like I've read more of that symptom in former klonopin users as compared with valium.  Just a subjective feeling I have.  It may be that other shorter acting benzos  have that side effect too.  I have no scientific evidence.  I think it is a reaction in the CNS (central nervous system) which consists of the brain and spinal chord, so not just the brain.  The CNS coordinates much of the overall nervous system, including cranial nerves.  Sensations may also include the peripheral nervous system.  The spinal chord is sometimes referred to as the highway of communication between the brain and body.

V

Hi there Vertigo,

This symptom and crippling headaches, became really noticeable about 6 weeks ago and doesnt let up. I will have my blood pressure checked next week at the Dr.

Cheers

Towardsthesun have you tried "Doctors Best 100% Chelated Magnesium" it is used for migraines...?

[c9...]

Hi there Vertigo,

Cheers

Towardsthesun have you tried "Doctors Best 100% Chelated Magnesium" it is used for migraines...?

Hopenow - thank you for your advice, unfortunately I cant tolerate supplements and am very food sensitive.

The symptoms are definitely blood pressure related, I worked that out this morning. I slept off and on for 7 hours only because I had 2 adrenaline surges instead of many through the night.  This morning I am dehydrated to the point that my hair is crumbling in my hands, finger nails are peeling off and my skin looks like that of an 80 year old lady.  My eyes itch, my lips are peeling I have scabs and sores in patches.  The organic rose hip oil I put on my skin is just sitting like an oil slick and I have broken out in a crop of pimples!!!! It feels like slime is slowly moving through my veins to the beat of my heart.  It normally ends with one of the worst symptoms a bout of rage :( 

Definitely would be a good idea to try to stay hydrated, especially if you are exercising.  Might be a good idea to see your doctor sooner if possible.

V

I went through the dry itchy scaly face business. It passed. It all passes, it it's benzos, it all passes. Take heart TTS. You will get relief. The sensitivities can take some time to pass but pass they do.

m

It's been a couple of years since I had adrenalin/cortisol rushes ,which I had after a few months of overdoing a weight loss program.  I had done a little too much weight lifting and a three month low carb diet in which I lost 25lbs (starting at about one year off valium).  I was 14 months off the valium when I had a return of high anxiety, sleep issues, and felt discouraged about the possibility of elevated cortisol.  I can say that I did heal, particualarly when I started eating some complex carbs and stopped the weight lifting.  Unfortunately, I've gradually gained back the 25 plus 5 more since then ::).  So I'm going to start back with some regular exercise,  light weights, lower carb diet again, but not too extreme as far as the low carbs, starting next week and see if I can take about 15lbs off in the next few months before summer.  Wish me luck  :stretcher::nono::).

V

[c9...]

It's been a couple of years since I had adrenalin/cortisol rushes ,which I had after a few months of overdoing a weight loss program.  I had done a little too much weight lifting and a three month low carb diet in which I lost 25lbs (starting at about one year off valium).  I was 14 months off the valium when I had a return of high anxiety, sleep issues, and felt discouraged about the possibility of elevated cortisol.  I can say that I did heal, particualarly when I started eating some complex carbs and stopped the weight lifting.  Unfortunately, I've gradually gained back the 25 plus 5 more since then ::) .  So I'm going to start back with some regular exercise,  light weights, lower carb diet again, but not too extreme as far as the low carbs, starting next week and see if I can take about 15lbs off in the next few months before summer.  Wish me luck  :stretcher::nono::) .

V

I wish you lots of luck, peace, love and healing  :smitten:

It's been a couple of years since I had adrenalin/cortisol rushes ,which I had after a few months of overdoing a weight loss program.  I had done a little too much weight lifting and a three month low carb diet in which I lost 25lbs (starting at about one year off valium).  I was 14 months off the valium when I had a return of high anxiety, sleep issues, and felt discouraged about the possibility of elevated cortisol.  I can say that I did heal, particualarly when I started eating some complex carbs and stopped the weight lifting.  Unfortunately, I've gradually gained back the 25 plus 5 more since then ::) .  So I'm going to start back with some regular exercise,  light weights, lower carb diet again, but not too extreme as far as the low carbs, starting next week and see if I can take about 15lbs off in the next few months before summer.  Wish me luck  :stretcher::nono::) .

V

Thanks Towards.  I was looking at your signature and read that you were weaned off 7mg of valium over three days last Fall?  Wow.  How did your hearing handle it?  Did you have tinnitus (ear ringing) and/or vertigo?  How long did it take to resolve?

V

[c9...]

V

Thanks Towards.  I was looking at your signature and read that you were weaned off 7mg of valium over three days last Fall?  Wow.  How did your hearing handle it?  Did you have tinnitus (ear ringing) and/or vertigo?  How long did it take to resolve?

V

Hi V....

Well I was on a valium taper for 14 months from the zanax I had been prescribed for 11 years... I now understand I was in tolerance withdrawal for the umpteenth time by the time I met my current Dr who has supported me off the poison.  The 7mg of valium was not holding me, I have had every symptom in Ashton Manual in all their severity.  I was detoxed in hospital, the real war began 2 weeks later.

I am 5.5 months out,  today is day 4 of "the dull roar",  all symptoms are very mild, adrenaline surges, sleep deprivation, food sensitivities,  tinnitus, intrusive memories, looping music, swimming brain, crawling skin, cog fog and mood just to name a few.

How have I coped????? Distraction distraction distraction, I have indulged me self with every self soothing technic I have been capable of.  I walk for at least 1 hour every day, I have just started 20 minutes of Hatha yoga and will slowly build that up.

I pray I will be writing my success story soon

TTS

V

V

Hi V....

Well I was on a valium taper for 14 months from the zanax I had been prescribed for 11 years... I now understand I was in tolerance withdrawal for the umpteenth time by the time I met my current Dr who has supported me off the poison.  The 7mg of valium was not holding me, I have had every symptom in Ashton Manual in all their severity.  I was detoxed in hospital, the real war began 2 weeks later.

I am 5.5 months out,  today is day 4 of "the dull roar",  all symptoms are very mild, adrenaline surges, sleep deprivation, food sensitivities,  tinnitus, intrusive memories, looping music, swimming brain, crawling skin, cog fog and mood just to name a few.

How have I coped????? Distraction distraction distraction, I have indulged me self with every self soothing technic I have been capable of.  I walk for at least 1 hour every day, I have just started 20 minutes of Hatha yoga and will slowly build that up.

I pray I will be writing my success story soon

TTS

I look forward to reading your success story, Toward.  Good on you for keeping up exercise and yoga, which can help with one's mindset and coping with those residual issues as you put more time and distance between you and the benzo :thumbsup:

Any other post benzo pepes out there?

Are there any recent post benzo pepes who are experiencing symptoms at a few weeks or months off the benzo?

Hi V and fellow benzo warriors!

Well I am not a recent post benzo peep...I crossed the 2 year line in February.  I thought I would check in and cheer on those that are newly post benzo or still struggling with issues.  I consider myself 98% healed.  I do get some mild tinnitus from time to time and still react to being overstressed but for the most part I am back to my old self.

Recently I lost about 15lbs in about 6 weeks and it was too much.  I began to have some early am cortisol adrenaline like back in the good ole days and I realized I just pushed myself too hard.  On the other hand over the past month I have had two family members in ICU not expected to live and 2 dear friends pass away.  I had to fly to Florida to help my brother and family while his wife had brain surgery.    While I was sad and scared at times...I handled it all well.  In fact better than I ever could have.  A year ago I just could not have taken it all and would have ended up in bed for a month!

I certainly learned what I was made of over the past few years.  I reevaluated my life and many of my relationships.  In many ways my benzo taper was a rebirth and I arrived at the end of this ordeal changed in many ways. 

I cannot minimize how hard becoming benzo free was for me.  It was a real challenge to be present and focused on myself and my wellbeing for the first time in my life.  In the past I was so "other focused" and my dreams and aspirations often took a back seat to my family and friends endeavors.  All of that fell away during my taper and post recovery. I came first -I had to if I was going to be successful.  I am grateful for being FORCED to become a priority in my life.

I tapered very slowly using Jana's BMT from the BDR forum. It took me 2 years to taper 15mgs of valium.  I was able to keep most of my physical symptoms at a minimum. Looking back the catastrophic thinking was the worse symptom for me.  I obsessed about not getting better once off the benzo.  I reviewed and replayed over and over and over every sad or painful experience in my past.  I was on the forum constantly looking for validation that I would be ok one day. I used to dream of going for long walks and I am so thrilled each day just to be outdoors with the sun shining, feeling the air on my skin, surrounded by nature.  I almost cry I am so happy to done with my benzo ordeal.

I know it has been said over and over but the truth is that TIME is what brings healing.  I have said it over and over that once the GABA receptors are DOWN regulated its like you have been hit by a truck.  We cannot see the damage and in a way that makes it more difficult to grasp the amount of healing that needs to take place.  YOU WILL HEAL.  YOU WILL BE BETTER.  Hang onto each tiny sliver of wellbeing and love yourself unconditionally. 

That's the greatest outcome for me....I fell in love...with myself!

All my blessing to you all!  I say a prayer every night (and sometimes on one of my walks) to all of you out there fighting the good fight!

Mimi

Thank you Mimi for your post!  It is great to hear you are doing well and enjoying life again. 

It is always to good to hear that this really does fade away.

Thank you for coming back to share more of your journey with us!

Love,

:smitten:

Lily

thank you Mimi!

i am one of the ones who still needs reassurance on a daily basis and that is why i have been on this forum every single night for over the last 9 months! it's good to hear that you fell in love with yourself! that is all i ever wanted from life!

and that seems very far away from me--or so it seems--i hope!

thanks, pretty