Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Post Benzo Freedom Withdrawal Support Group

[ve...]

I think Mimi mentioned using L-theanine as well and having some results.

Yes, I think she did.  Thanks Bryan.

Vertigo

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ve...]

• [gi...]

• [pa...]

• [An...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Is theanine useful for sleep? My insomnia is my main problem...

Some have claimed that magnesium has helped with their sleep.  There is a thread on magnesium, different kinds... in the alternative supplements section of forum.  There is also a thread there on L-Theanine.  Some say it helps with anxiety, some say sleep. I suppose if anxiety is keeping you up and it helps take the edge off anxiety, maybe sleep could be helped?  Perhaps others can weigh in.  Always check with your physician about even over the counter supplements...

V

Hi guys

I really really like the L theanine.  From what I read you want the "suntheanine" formula.  I bought the Whole Foods brand and now have the Jarrow Theanine 100mg.  Both worked great!  I swear it relaxes me as much as a xanax did!  I normally take just 1 100mg a day but sometimes I take another if I am feeling agitated.  It helps me sleep as well.  A close friend takes 300mg a day with no side effects. 

I have gone days without it and had no w/d etc.  It seems to get me back to a state of calmness and I stay there for a few days.  It has been a few months of hell so I am very grateful to have found something to help me keep my stress levels lower.  Being under consistent stress (high cortisol) brings its own set of issues and from what I have read L theanine helps offset the more "toxic" effects of excess cortisol.

I would try it alone without any other supplement or herb added.  You never know what you might react to so adding ONE THING at a time is a good practice so you can identify anything causing symptoms and remove it from your regimen.

Let me know how it works for those who try it!

Mimi

PS Next I am trying some Pandrenal (B5) for adrenal support.  Will let you know how I do!

Hi guys

I really really like the L theanine.  From what I read you want the "suntheanine" formula.  I bought the Whole Foods brand and now have the Jarrow Theanine 100mg.  Both worked great!  I swear it relaxes me as much as a xanax did!  I normally take just 1 100mg a day but sometimes I take another if I am feeling agitated.  It helps me sleep as well.  A close friend takes 300mg a day with no side effects. 

I have gone days without it and had no w/d etc.  It seems to get me back to a state of calmness and I stay there for a few days.  It has been a few months of hell so I am very grateful to have found something to help me keep my stress levels lower.  Being under consistent stress (high cortisol) brings its own set of issues and from what I have read L theanine helps offset the more "toxic" effects of excess cortisol.

I would try it alone without any other supplement or herb added.  You never know what you might react to so adding ONE THING at a time is a good practice so you can identify anything causing symptoms and remove it from your regimen.

Let me know how it works for those who try it!

Mimi

PS Next I am trying some Pandrenal (B5) for adrenal support.  Will let you know how I do!

Thanks Mimi.  I tried one 200mg  L-Theanine a couple of times this week and it may have helped but only mildly. I previously tried magnesium last week and seemed to not sleep as well, but again, I've had quite a bit of stress the last few weeks with my father's cancer out of remission, trying to get second and third opinions for his next treatment... and having had an increase in work with some late appointments the last couple of weeks, it's been a bit of a  rough period.  I don't really want to take any supplement every day, but I will probably try the L-Theanine every other day for a week and see if I notice any changes.  It's good advice to try one supplement at a time.  I may stop the magnesium for now and see how the L-Theanine by itself goes.  Overall, feel pretty good even without supplements.  A few sleepless nights can create some problems but nothing major.  I also started an exercise program and lower carbs this past week (have lost 1.5 lbs on the way to hopefully lose 12-15 by summer) so there are many factors to consider as to some of the early morning wake ups ::).  I am writing this at about 6:30AM on a Saturday (woke up about 5:30) when I don't have to be up before about 8!

Best,

Vertigo

Just an update....

I seem to have pulled out of the wave I was in and back to my new baseline. I'm convinced that the 5 day spell of awful I went through was a wave, despite being 2 years out and not really having a benzo-related wave for almost a year. I think the weight loss and stress triggered something and I was back to symptoms like I had in the early days.

So, I'm back to dealing with my normal anxiety/panic issues which are manageable and progress is being made. Thank god.

I caution people even deep in healing to take things slowly and be kind to your bodies until you are significantly out of the woods.

Don't live scared, but be judicious about things like diets, vacations, exercise until you are 100% for a while.

Continued healing to all.  God bless.

Hi Brian, long journey but we will get out of it, I am 2.5 years out, and feeling better, do you have issues with food, this is my only problem, Digestive system is still out of wack, stomach and colon, acidity bloating even digestion is not that good, I try to avoid stuff, but sometimes I get weak when i get better, but this will pass, are you on special diet

Call me crazy but I had one L-Theanine before dinner and a glass of wine with dinner last night and slept very well and woke up feeling very rested and alert.  By the way, I don't recommend alcohol during the first year of post benzo healing.  I am a few years post valium taper and have had a stressful month and decided to give L-Theanine a try.  I can only say that with a glass of wine, it was a positive but I'll have to see how it is without wine in the coming days.  By contrast, magnesium before bed had an opposite reaction, although I did not have it with wine  ;D.  I am not promoting taking supplements with wine, just reporting on one experience in post benzo context.

Vertigo

Hello Everyone,

I stumbled upon the posts on here about L-Theanine. Here's what I know (you can Google the studies I am referencing)

L-Theanine has been shown to reduce anxiety and symptoms of ADHD when taken at the 400mg dose in the morning. It can take up to 30 days to become effective. It is also shown to reduce the effects of coffee. All the studies on it thus far have said it is the first supplement to help with anxiety and not put you to sleep. YAY!

Here's what I do. I take 400mg in the morning. and 100 mg in the evening. I didn't notice a difference for a couple weeks but when I go off it I notice a change in a few days...

I also have adhd and have recently returned to school so I take it with a small cup of coffee and I need no other meds for the ADHD.

Google the studies on this it's amazing.

I use the Source Naturals Brand.

I hope this helps someone. Not everyone is the same.

A

Hello Everyone,

I stumbled upon the posts on here about L-Theanine. Here's what I know (you can Google the studies I am referencing)

L-Theanine has been shown to reduce anxiety and symptoms of ADHD when taken at the 400mg dose in the morning. It can take up to 30 days to become effective. It is also shown to reduce the effects of coffee. All the studies on it thus far have said it is the first supplement to help with anxiety and not put you to sleep. YAY!

Here's what I do. I take 400mg in the morning. and 100 mg in the evening. I didn't notice a difference for a couple weeks but when I go off it I notice a change in a few days...

I also have adhd and have recently returned to school so I take it with a small cup of coffee and I need no other meds for the ADHD.

Google the studies on this it's amazing.

I use the Source Naturals Brand.

I hope this helps someone. Not everyone is the same.

A

Thanks for the input afighter.  I was not aware that L-Theanine might help with ADHD and attention, although I think I read somewhere that it could help with increasing dopamine levels.  I had also read it could be helpful with memory.  Omega 3 may also be helpful.  I also read a study that L-theanine can help offset negative side effects of alcohol to the liver.  As far as brand, I have heard that suntheanine is the type that may work the best.  Also, somebody once told me that Source Naturals brand had some issues with quality, that some of their products including melatonin, were  possibly made in China and not properly regulated.  I can not confirm this, but  Source Naturals seem to be often cheaply priced on Amazon.  That does not mean they are not good quality, but I prefer other brands myself like Country Life or Doctor's Best has been reported to be good quality, Blue Bonnett... but as with anything, do your own research and consult with your pharmacist or physician about supplements.

Best,

Vertigo

Had 3/4 glass red wine with dinner last night with one L-Theanine 200mg (suntheanine) about twenty minutes before dinner.  Slept like a log from 10:30PM to 6PM.  That is the second time this happened this week.  And I am very alert and rested this morning, more so than I've been for months, with the exception of the last time I did the same thing this past Saturday.  Again, I do not advocate alcohol for post benzo folks in the first year off the benzo.  Being three years off, I feel I can experiment a bit during a stressful time where I've not been sleeping well.  I also took an omega 3 capsule after dinner last night, by the way. Next step is to try the L Theanine tonight before dinner and no wine, maybe the fish pill again after dinner.  I may also try one or two this morning as per afighter's suggestion to try 400mg in the morning of L-Theanine. Last week I tried L-Theanine before bed and I did not sleep well, but there were some other factors causing excess stress at that time.  In case anyone is more than a year out and interested in my anecdotes on L-Theanine, I am posting about them here.  I am not ecouraging any alcohol or supplement use, just reporting on my own personal experience during a stressful period in my life.

Best,

V

Hey Verti -

I know you had shingles and that's what I'm facing right now. Just looking for any input. These are on my face, not trunk, and are at my temple and cheek on the right side. I started an antiviral on the 4th day (they developed on a weekend, of course.) The traveling nerve pain is pretty intense in my temple area. Looks like I'm going to have to get some pain relief in a pill and was wondering if you had to use narcotics during the worst phase and how long the pain  lasted.

Thanks,

Flip

Hey Verti -

I know you had shingles and that's what I'm facing right now. Just looking for any input. These are on my face, not trunk, and are at my temple and cheek on the right side. I started an antiviral on the 4th day (they developed on a weekend, of course.) The traveling nerve pain is pretty intense in my temple area. Looks like I'm going to have to get some pain relief in a pill and was wondering if you had to use narcotics during the worst phase and how long the pain  lasted.

Thanks,

Flip

Sorry to hear this Flip.  No, I avoided pain killers/narcotics, but I took quite a bit of motrin, which did contribute to some elevated blood pressure a month or two later, but I had no choice.  If the virus gets anywhere near your eye, you may need to see an opthamologist.  Mine were on my forehead and went partially down the nose (5th cranial nerve).  I think I started on the acylovir at about 36 or 48 hours after the initial tingling started.  Starting them at four days is better than a week.  In my case, I had tingling sensations for several months after I was better.  Even today, I have slight tingling when things get stressful, but it's not been painful.  Were you under a lot of stress lately?

Sorry to hear this but you'll get through it :thumbsup:,

V

Thanks, V. I suppose we are all under a lot of stress in coming off these drugs and getting our lives back. I did have major noise stress for two days from getting a new roof and that's about when it started.

Yes, I'll watch the eye. Thanks.

Guess it's just an endurance game.  ;)

Flip

Thank you so much Vertigo for the information on brands. That is so good to know!!!!

You're awesome and so helpful!!!

Today is my one year anniversary of being benzo FREE!!!!

Woo Hoo!

A

Thank you so much Vertigo for the information on brands. That is so good to know!!!!

You're awesome and so helpful!!!

Today is my one year anniversary of being benzo FREE!!!!

Woo Hoo!

A

You're welcome afighter.  Congrats on your one year anniversary off the benzo :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:.

V

Thanks, V. I suppose we are all under a lot of stress in coming off these drugs and getting our lives back. I did have major noise stress for two days from getting a new roof and that's about when it started.

Flip

Is this the first time you've had shingles?

Flip

Is this the first time you've had shingles?

It is! The narrative in my family was that everyone had had chicken pox but me and that I would never get shingles. Apparently I had chicken pox when no one was looking. Smile. I am reading that babies can be exposed and actually have the virus but not show any pox. That must be what happened for me.

Anyway, this is day 7 from first outbreak and they don't seem to be spreading. The pain is like  raw nerve endings, as I'm sure you will remember.  But you know, it's really not all that terrible and I'm not just trying to be tough. I can put ice on the places that hurt and the pain virtually goes away for a while. It is not like the agony of benzo withdrawal where there are no remedies.

I think we will forever measure every illness and malady by the benzo yardstick, don't you?

Thanks for the inquiry, V.

Flip

You're right Fliprain.  Nothing to do but be tough and try to let go of struggling with unnecessary worries and stress.  It was a wake up call that the things I was losing sleep over and being run down over, or losing vision... were not worth my health or my family losing me.  So I picked myself up with a new perspective and determination to get well and be stronger.  For me, it was actually worse than benzo withdrawal because of how close the blisters came to my eye, but I was lucky that I recovered pretty quickly and that it was diagnosed early.

Best,

Vertigo

Just an update....

I seem to have pulled out of the wave I was in and back to my new baseline. I'm convinced that the 5 day spell of awful I went through was a wave, despite being 2 years out and not really having a benzo-related wave for almost a year. I think the weight loss and stress triggered something and I was back to symptoms like I had in the early days.

So, I'm back to dealing with my normal anxiety/panic issues which are manageable and progress is being made. Thank god.

I caution people even deep in healing to take things slowly and be kind to your bodies until you are significantly out of the woods.

Don't live scared, but be judicious about things like diets, vacations, exercise until you are 100% for a while.

Continued healing to all.  God bless.

Hi Brian, long journey but we will get out of it, I am 2.5 years out, and feeling better, do you have issues with food, this is my only problem, Digestive system is still out of wack, stomach and colon, acidity bloating even digestion is not that good, I try to avoid stuff, but sometimes I get weak when i get better, but this will pass, are you on special diet

Hey Tommy,

My stomach is better, but still issues. I had gastritis as part of WD and it was brutal. Months and months of burning pain and restricted diet.  Now, I'm much better. I eat a clean, healthy diet that is still somewhat restrictive. I can't have acidic fruit or alcohol yet, or I'll pay the price. But if I'm watchful, things are better. I still have a lot of "issues" in the mornings and I'm nowhere near "normal," but I'm at least functioning. GI issues were a major part of WD for me and they have subsided greatly, thank god.

I recommend eating as simply and cleanly as you can, and cutting down stress. Anxiety/stress fuels GI issues in a big way. I know that's cliche, but once I had my first panic attacks, my stomach got 50% worse and hasn't quite ever recovered. So, work in time for rest, meditation and stress management.

Be well!

Hello there!  Well I've done something a bit rash and am looking for some advice. I've been on 2x0.5 mg of clonazapam for the past 15 years. I was having some issues with depersonalization and alcohol craving so I decided to try and come off. I went off in 0.25 mg increments which I now realize was too abrupt in that my increments were too big and it came off everything in three months.  Things were going ok until the last 0.25 mg. since coming off the final dose my depersonalization, anxiety, depression, memory loss and cravings are through the roof. Things started about one week after my final dose. I can't Figure out if I've triggered benzo withdrawal syndrome or if this is normal withdrawal. I'm five weeks into it and its rough.

I started the taper as follows:

Start 1 mg clonazapam

Reduce 0.25 mg dec 26, 2012

Reduce 0.25 mg jan 7, 2013

Reduce 0.25 mg jan 21, 2013

Final reduction 0.25 mg mar 17, 2013

Seems like a loss to throw away 4 months of tapering. Hindsight is 20-20 and I wish I had the Ashton manual before I started. The reality is that if I would have known, perhaps I would have been too chicken to try coming off. The last reduction really hammered me!

I keep telling myself the last dose is the hardest and Ashton says to expect 2 months of withdrawal after the final dose. It's been a long haul and I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Feedback that I've gotten from people on this site say don't reinstate at this point. It's been just under six weeks since my last dose. Things were going well until that final reduction. Since then it's been crazy. Wild cravings for I don't know what, other than to escape the anxiety. Other than that its the usual anxiety, depression, insomnia and very annoying depersonalization which I understand is normal for clonazapam. Plus memory loss. I figure I can either try to tough it out or go back on and try to come down more slowly. Any advice?  Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad