Post Benzo Freedom Withdrawal Support Group

[ve...]

Hi everyone,  I would like some peoples opinion.  I was thinking about having a drink tonight at a party for a friend I'm going to.  I'm not an alcoholic nor do I drink that much, beut I've heard it might ramp up my side effects a bit.  Can anyone tell me what I might feel?  Or if its a really bad.idea?  I probably will just drink one.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ve...]

• [gi...]

• [pa...]

• [An...]

Top Posters In This Topic

hi tablasco,

mixing alcohol and benzo is not a very good idea. i would avoid it if possible.

but, try a small drink, and see how you are reacting. you might be able to tolerate small this drink.

enjoy the party. :thumbsup:

Stopped by today after receiving notice of the survey-  so glad this issue may be getting attention in the US.  Also am very happy to see 2 things: the thread with Baylissa and a notice that Matt Samet is publishing a benzo book.  Both of those wonderful people helped me so much through my recovery.

So did you Vertigo.  I want you to know how much I appreciate that.  You were supportive from the beginning when I was in so much pain.

Thankfully, life is very busy in good ways, but as soon as things slow down I am going to (finally) write my success story.  I hope it will help others as success stories helped me.

Wishing everyone love and healing.

Becca

You're welcome Becca.  It's good to see you here on the other side doing so well ;).  I look forward to your success story.

Hugs,

V

Hi all :)

Tablasco, I was one of the few that did drink some alcohol post taper. It is (was) a small amount plus I drink it slowly. Also, I avoid sweet drinks as these cause alcohol 'buzzes' more.

It is really the fermented sugar that causes the high and then the crash.

I've prefered a dry merlot (dark red) wine, when I feel like having alcohol and I always sip it slowly.

This is not to say I recommend this for everyone! Even people not recovering from a benzo can have problems with alcohol. My mother-in-law is an example. She has low blood sugar and avoids anything that can spike her glucose levels. This is another reason to avoid alcohol.

For myself, I never had a problem having that 3/4 glass of dry red wine post benzo.

I did, however have a problem drinking this way when I attempted a remeron (A/D) taper 2 1/2 years ago. There came a point when I simply did not feel like drinking period when I was lowering my dosage from the A/D.

Hope this answer helps.

Thanks Pacific, Towards and Pangelingua

I had one drink and I did okay.  I actually felt a little increase in dizziness felt my sxs coming back a little, but they subsided. I want people to know though, I don't feel drinking alcohol is good for you during withdrawal.  I just wanted to see if I could have a drink every once in a while. 

Hi all :)

Back from a hard day's night!

Went to bed about 3:00am and got 5 hours sleep. I took a nice sofa nap a bit ago and that seemed to help. I'll be so glad when these crazy mixed up schedules will stop. For now, I just do the best I can.

So good to hear tablasco that the alcohol did not rev up your system. Other than the dry merlot I drink slowly, I haven't had much sweet alcohol. There were a few occasions where I sampled some but it did not cause me any symptom distress. I think, perhaps that the desire for me to drink alcohol has, for the most part, diminished over time.

There was a time when I was younger and rather sociable when I found myself wanting to drink more often. My life now is somewhat plain and routine but I seem to enjoy it this way.

Hope all post benzo members are having a nice week. It's drizzly here in the NW.

Wow, Vertigo ...  I haven't been on here since the summer when I thought you were leaving.  Good to see you, and you, too, Pangelingua.

Question for any of you.  I'm still having a pretty hard time with the recovery symptoms and try to stay clear of things that will flare them.  I don't take supplements or any meds or over the counter meds.  I have this horrible flu that is going around and just when I've finally started to get good sleep, I can't sleep due to the coughing.  My doctor prescribed a cough syrup that has codeine in it so I can sleep.  He says it just has an expectorant and codeine in it.  Just wondering if anyone has experience with codeine and recovery.  He also prescribed antibiotic for a secondary infection and I made sure that it isn't the kind that is a problem in w/d.  I haven't taken either of these Rx's yet.

Thanks,

Wish

Hi wish!

Just saw your reply and question

I haven't had experience with codeine and recovery but I have had experience with vicoden and A/Bs and recovery.

I took vicoden 2 years ago for about a week and a half when I injured my lower back. I was also on a muscle relaxer. Have taken A/Bs 3 times in the last 2 years due to sinus/allergy problems.

I didn't experience any flare ups with s/xs from taking those, although the A/B did cause me some dizziness.

There seems to be a flu virus going around because 3 weeks ago, I had the same thing. Lots of weakness and fatigue. I had a flu shot last Nov and the doctor suggested that I had a milder version. Even a milder form felt bad enough if that's what it was!

Hope you feel better soon. Also, hoped my reply helped you!

Pange,

Hey, I just happened to notice that today is 3 years benzo free for you!!  Congrats.  Thanks for sticking around to encourage.

Thanks for the reply.  When I needed to go to bed last night and there wasn't a reply, I took a chance and took the antibiotics and cough med.  I had a very slight, but tolerable reaction, and was able to sleep without much coughing.  The strange thing is that codeine is supposed to knock you out, but it made me wide awake.  I was exhausted but couldn't sleep for over an hour after taking it.  But after that I did sleep a solid 4 1/2 hours without any coughing.  What a relief!  Then slept on and off for a few more hours.

The worst reaction I've had is this morning from a supplement the doctor also wants me to take that is a probiotic to replace the good bacteria in the gut that is also killed by the antibiotic.  The supplements can be a killer for those of us who can't tolerate them.  I just wonder if it is the fillers in them.  I can't imagine how a probiotic would hit the brain.  Who knows.  This is such a mystery.  I'm thankful that I am improving over all this time - it is slow going, but my husband keeps reminding me that I am improving.  I has just been in the last month or two that I am getting longer stretches of good sleep.  That was a long time in coming, and so appreciated!!

So good to reconnect.  Maybe I'll "tune in" a little more often now that I know there are some of you still around.

Blessings to you,

Wish

Hi guys....just stopped in looking for some support.  I'm almost 7 months out and largely housebound still and on bad days bedbound.  My dizziness, weakness and lightheadedness is just so bad.  Everything is a major undertaking.  And if I try and do things, I often get bad hot flashes and feel even more dizzy (like today I tried to go to the grocery store to pick up some prescriptions).  :tickedoff:

On good days I tell myself that this will resolve in time, but today I just can't believe it.  :'(  I can't believe a body this "sick" can recover.  And, I'm having trouble finding folks that have my kinds of symptoms that have recovered.  So, if you know of any or any success stories that ring like my symptoms, would love to hear it.

Anyway, just needed to vent and need some support. 

Hoosier, I think i have posted you before. After my first withdrawal, I had the same sx you describe & took  a good 18 months to heal. I did heal completely.

Unfortunately 6 months later! Cipro sent me right back. This time with a medium fast taper & clonidine, I am 90% healed at 6 months even though I have had seriousl kidney infection & liver disease due to antibiotics during the withdrawal period.

My body has been through alot but it has healed & so will you.

[84...]

Hi guys,

I am 17 weeks free tomorrow

Hoosierfans Im sending you strength and a big hug,  this road is long.    :mybuddy: :hug:I have just had three good days and nights and thought I was finally on the way up, unfortunately I think another wave is setting in.  I made a mistake and took antibotics and a steriod nasal spray from a dr.....  :idiot: I pray my body is not set back by this  :angel:

As ihope says our bodies have been through a lot and they will heal

Peace love and strength to you  :-*

towardsthesun

Towards, I have been on antibiotics pretty much perpetually during withdrawal due to my kidney problem. Except for one course of antibiotics which caused the liver cholestasis, they have not majorly set back my progress, so hopefully, this is just a short glitch for you.

[84...]

Thank you ever so much for the feedback  ihope ...... I feel better just knowing that......  and have not taken anything since Friday

Cheers, strength and health to you  :mybuddy:

hi Wish

Thank you for the congradulations and very kind words :)

Boy, do 3 years go by fast!

Right now, I've got some jet lag hitting because of working pretty late the last 2 nights.

I was reading your reply about probiotics. Have you considered yogurt with active culture? My wife always buys this anyway, and during the times I've taken A/Bs, I simply ate more of this.

My A/B treatment was for 4 or 5 days. I recall some light headedness and stomach discomfort but it was pretty mild.

Yes, I've continued to stick around forum and help out, although I was absent for a few months. Work hours increased during that time.

In the meantime, a heart welcome to newer member Hoosierfan! I have a success blog somewhere on the forum and your welcome to visit there if you need some inspiration. Hope your recovery goes well. I'm sure we'll see more of each other here on the forum.

Also, towardsthe sun, I too took a steriod nasal spray called flonase. I think I went with that for about 5 days but got some dizziness so I stopped it. Other than that, no protracted setbacks.

Take care all, and I'll post back later

Pange,

Thanks for reminding me about the yogurt.  I think I will try that instead of the supplement.  At times dairy products bother me so I avoid.  I've been off for awhile and yogurt is about the easiest to tolerate, so I will try that again.

Blessings,

Wish

Ihope,

I had forgotten about your story (sorry, benzo brain)...I may PM you with some questions.  Thank you for responding.  It is hard to see so many people with so many mental s/x and lesser physical s/x (and not the ones I have)....and then getting better....I start to think I am "different" and something is wrong with my body.

Pange and Towards,  thanks for the welcome.  I think I posted once or twice here before but then got a little discouraged because there seemed to be a lot of people here who were ahead of me in time and healing....so it's that weird "I wish I was them" feeling and feeling discouraged that my healing wasn't going as fast.  But, I know deep down this is a safe place and I have to push those thoughts aside because folks here WANT to offer support, no matter where they are in their healing.  Pange, I will look up your success story.

Sending healing vibes to all.....

Hoosier

Hoosier,

I've had your sxs and then some!! It is hard.  Six months out can still be quite early.  I still have very hard sxs (I hate to say) but I am improving and am much better off now than I was just a few months ago.  It really can take a lot of time for some of us.  I still have days when I wonder if I will ever heal.  My husband reminds me that I am healing, it is just a very slow process.

Do you know about Bliss Johns book, Recovery & Renewal (you can get it on Amazon)?  She has an encouraging story after a very long recovery.  If you go to her web site, recovery-road.org, and go under resources and self help, there are a couple of helpful short videos she put on YouTube that I watch when I need encouragement.  There have been days when I have watched them many times.  If you are on Facebook, like her group, Recovery Road Wellness, and they put up encouraging messages almost every day.  This has gotten me through many a day.

Also, some people (and I now tend to lean this way) believe that recovery doesn't really start for some people until they get off all meds, herbs and supplements.  At about 3 months out my symptoms became so bad and it took me a couple more months to realize that the herbs, teas, supplements and hormones I was on were making the symptoms worse.  With help of my doctor, I weaned off everything.  I am almost 10 months free of everything and feel like even though there are some hard days, I am starting to turn the corner.  The most noticeable is my sleep is improving.  That goes a long way to being able to tolerate the rest of the symptoms.  Still, I can't tolerate herbal teas and supplements.  The first med I've taken is antibiotics (but not quinolone or Floroquinolone antibiotics - Cipro, etc. they can be dangerous and set back healing) and Rx cough syrup with codeine for a recent infection.  They flare my symptoms

for some reason it cut off the end of my post -

I was saying they flare my symptoms, but it is tolerable.

I hope I encouraged and not scared you.  Keep going.  One day you will look back on this chapter of your life and be so glad it is behind you, and so proud of yourself that you did it.  :thumbsup: 

Blessings,

Wish

[84...]

Hi  Guys,

Hoosier, how are you travelling?

wishIdknown,  I have just read you post and wish I had read it earlier as I have just taken the probiotic the Dr told me to take after the antibiotic the Dr prescribed and my stomach is reacting now!!!!! I will not take anymore and also give the herb teas a rest for a while and see what happens

Healing and good health to all.

Everybody, thanks for the support.  The difficult thing with feeling so weak, lightheaded and dizzy is that I feel like I am in a constant state of panic (and have jitters)....so it is absolutely that my physical s/x are feeding the anxiety beast.  that's how it goes for me...the mental follows the physical.

Towards, I am driving, but very short distances.  I've gotten used to the dizzy feeling and being able to drive through it.  There are some days where it is so bad that I can't leave the house (a lot of days last week).

Ok, some questions for you Ihope and Wish, so did you both feel weak and lightheaded all day?  Mine never leaves.  And the woozy dizzy feeling too?  Again, I don't get a break from it.  fyi, I've always had problems w/ low bp but that isn't it -- I check it 3 times a day and it is ok.  Were / are your symptoms worse around your cycle -- that is the killer time for me and I know it has to do w/ low progesterone (mine is in the tank since I started Ativan).

So here is my typical day:  I feel like I am slugging through every day. My typical pattern:  in bed from 8:30 pm - 7 am; slug through the morning totally exhausted and dizzy; by noon ready for a nap, nap 1-3, couch potato in the afternoon / evening and then in the bath and my pjs by 7 pm.  And yes, everything is extraordinarily hard to do.  On a GOOD day, I will get a load of dishes done, or one room of my house clean.  On a bad day I am in bed most of the day.....

Does this sound like your days are or were?  And Ihope, when did you start to turn the corner and get the energy back and the dizziness fade?  Wish, what about you (I know you are still recovering, but when did you see improvement)? 

I know all our patterns of healing are different, but it helps me to have some timeframes for these things.  I've seen a ton of folks who get hit hard start to turn a corner in that 8-13/14 month range, so I am hoping that is me.  :thumbsup:

Wish, no it does not scare me.  I would rather you be honest about all of your experience.  I am "almost" at the stage of acceptance; some days I am better about it, some days I still fight it. Yes, I have a copy of Bliss' book and probably look at it twice a day (!!) along with my inspiration journal, my CBT, etc.  They are great tools!  I hear you on the additional meds....I just dumped my birth control cause I started it in October and OH MAN it rev'd my symptoms there for a few months....I'm now 5 weeks off of it so I hope to return to the "minor" functionality I was having my first few months off before I started it.  The rest of the meds are for my blood pressure and I have tolerated well in the past pre-Ativan, so I'm not dumping them yet (or convinced I won't heal ON them).

So Wish and Ihope, can you tell me how you function now on a daily basis in terms of daily activities?  It really helps me to see where I may be in a year from now.  Thanks, girls, you are a lifeline.....  :angel:

Hi to all :)

So glad that my yogurt suggestion is an option for you. I'm wishing you a speedy recovery and lots of good 'balance'. How long are you having to continue the A/B treatments? My dosage was for 4 or 5 days. I still recall the stomach upset. That plus the flonase gave me some dizziness. Nothing drastic but it did cause me some minor fatigue as I went through my work day.

Hoosier: I was reading your sig line and noticed that you started with effexor. You also had some bad reactions to it and were put through multiple med changes. I recall going through something like that almost 6 years ago. It was really hard going for me at the time and I do sympathize!

Looking back in hindsight, I understand now that 'theraputic' dosages were what caused me the trouble all along. I currently am on very low doses of remeron (a different A/D). My doctor and I came to an agreement a long time ago that this is what works best to keep me in balance.

If you read my regular blog, I go through a long discussion about my past history including the multiple med changes and distress that I had. My first one came with prozac, followed by celexa and then trazadone. It wasn't until I was given mirtazapine (remeron) that I felt balanced. Then, it became a process of dry cutting the pill until I arrived at a small cut that worked for me.

That's the problem that I see with these meds. They are scored in amounts that are too high. By lots of trial and error, I was able to find a homeopathic dose that works.

Anyway, I wish you continued healing and good windows. I'll try to keep track of your progress. Question: When was the end of your taper? Also, I assume the amounts and meds you are currently on are working for you and not causing further distress? Let me know when you can.

[84...]

Hoosier,

I'm Australian and just starting  to realise from this forum that our  (Australian) dialect and written word is slightly different.

"How are you travelling" is a way of saying,  how are you today?  I am learning much more than I thought from this forum. It is also difficult for me to communicate as I have extremely bad benzo brain on the best of days.

I have very similar sx to you and have realised that anything I introduce ie: a pro biotic  after the antibiotic  a Dr told me to take has knocked me over and stopped my newly formed few hours of sleep.  Any change seems to hinder my healing, I would like to continue to follow this thread support is key. I am having a low day and loosing faith as I though I was turning a corner with my healing.

Blessings

towardsthesun

Hi everyone,

It seems like this thread might be a good place for me. I didn't even know it existed.

On the 22nd, just a few days away, I will be benzo free for 4 months. I was on various benzos for over 12 years, didn't know they were a problem, yada yada. Same story as everyone. My total taper was 22 months and every step was an Oh My God struggle.

I'm feeling rather disconnected on the forum. I'm not sure why.

I am improving. Still, I need this place. Symptoms are still hanging on. This forum is such a part of my life, helping me cope, that I'd like to try making a connection here.

I do some reading and get to know your stories.

Thanks in advance for having me.

:smitten:

Flip