Post Benzo Freedom Withdrawal Support Group

[ve...]

I never liked flonase but it's cheap because its generic.  I prefer the nasonex but it's expensive and won't be generic for a few years.  Sometimes you can get free samples from the doctors but if not, it's like $45 a month, but you may not need it all year.  I imagine you have lots of mold with all the wet weather there in Washington, like here in GA.  I'm not a fan of Claritin either.  I've used allegra off and on with good results.  Allegra is available at Costco pretty cheaply and I sometimes cut a pill in half and works fine.

Take care,

V

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ve...]

• [gi...]

• [pa...]

• [An...]

Top Posters In This Topic

There's an anti-histamine medicine that the Nurse Room at the plant has that was a life saver for me last December when the sinus trouble hit.

I'll look into that. Also, the children's allergy relief works. It's a generic benadryl.

Still muscling through this 'mild flu'.

My BP at the appointment was 100 over 57!

Can a flu bring your BP down like that?!

No wonder I've been feeling so fatigued! ???

Hope to blog with more members tomorrow... Any post benzo peeps who wish to respond here may do so and I'll try to assist where I can.

Take care till then 

There's an anti-histamine medicine that the Nurse Room at the plant has that was a life saver for me last December when the sinus trouble hit.

I'll look into that. Also, the children's allergy relief works. It's a generic benadryl.

Still muscling through this 'mild flu'.

My BP at the appointment was 100 over 57!

Can a flu bring your BP down like that?!

No wonder I've been feeling so fatigued! ???

Hope to blog with more members tomorrow... Any post benzo peeps who wish to respond here may do so and I'll try to assist where I can.

Take care till then

I find that Simply Saline works wonders to prevent a cold from turning to sinus infection.  Other saline sprays are out there but the gentle mist of Simply Saline works well if you feel like clear drainage might be turning green/yellow...  I've been able to avoid antibiotics several times in the last couple years by using the saline a few times a day.  You tilt your head to the side over the sink, spray in one nostril and let the liquid come out the other nostril.  Your head would be at almost horizontal with one ear facing toward the sink, then repeat in other nostril...  Seems to work wonders.  Also, if running the heat in winter and air gets dry, it can help to have a humidifier but if you're allergic to mold, that might not be the best for you, unless you have a very small humidifier in a larger room...  I'm not sure about the answer to why your BP is lower.  Well, hope you feel better soon.

Take care,

V

We had some saline solution like that but it ran out.

We'll look into getting more. Much rather use saline than flonase or other meds, although the benadryl type simply make me sleepy without other worse side effects.

Still have a flu but feeling better than yesterday overall.

I have a dayshift tomrorrow (8 1/2 hrs), plus 10 1/2 hrs Saturday (dayshift). Then it's swingshift Mon, off Tues, swing Wed, off Thurs, swing Fri. :-\

I never look forward to 3:15am bedtimes but that's what I'll have 3 nights next week.

Thankfully, this flu isn't as bad as it would have been. The allergist said that because I had a flushot last Nov, it's milder version.

Still, enough aches and pains though.

I'll check back with this thread later. I'm just taking a break from a date with the couch! :laugh:

Just wanted to bump up the thread to see if there's any more post benzo peeps.

I'm finally turning a corner on the virus.

I'm hoping to be 100% by Monday. That will be a late night shift for me.

I am 5 months off & much better but still having the occasional wave lasting a day or 2. Have also been challenged by needing to be on virtually perpetual antibiotics for kidney infection & then having a liver cholestasis reaction to the ABs.

Planning on returning to FT study & PT work in the next few weeks but not entirely confident I can hack it.

I am very impressed that you are handling shiftwork. It was sleeping disorder brought about by Cipro that got me on the valium. Thankfully my sleep is much more reliable now but shiftwork, wow!

Glad your flu is on the wane, have a restful Sunday.

I am 5 months off & much better but still having the occasional wave lasting a day or 2. Have also been challenged by needing to be on virtually perpetual antibiotics for kidney infection & then having a liver cholestasis reaction to the ABs.

Planning on returning to FT study & PT work in the next few weeks but not entirely confident I can hack it.

I am very impressed that you are handling shiftwork. It was sleeping disorder brought about by Cipro that got me on the valium. Thankfully my sleep is much more reliable now but shiftwork, wow!

Glad your flu is on the wane, have a restful Sunday.

Hi ihope.  Are you taking a good probiotic with the antibiotics?  I have found that it can really help to offset stomach upset.  Hope you are able to do well with your return to part time work.  Go easy on yourself.  There's a reason they call it "work!"

Hope you're feeling better Pangelingua.  Were you able to put a good amount down on the new minivan?  Did you get a new or used one?  Sounds like it was time to replace the old one.

V

Hi everyone! I've been looking for a group like this. I just passed 8 months out and I'm starting to really put my life together. I was on Xanax/Klonopin for 20 years and went c/t on May 21, 2012.

I'm really optimistic - just dealing with the age on my body I didn't know happened until I got off the drug.  :-\

Looking forward to reading/writing more here.

jaxnj

Welcome jaxnj :)

20 years and then a cold turkey! Wow!

Anyway, you made it and I'm very happy for you! :)

Congradts on being benzo free and we look forward to hearing more from you :thumbsup:

Hi V!

Yes, feeling better finally. I went to work Fri, and felt lousy in the morning. fatigue again and some dizziness. The plant worked yesterday, but a another person needed some extra work due to their plant having Sat off, so they worked in my place. Sat is a regularly scheduled day so I got to take S/L and get paid anyway.

We actually got an economy car this time. We bought a Hyundai Accent 2013. With me working more now, I just didn't feel the need to have a mini van. Less opportunities to chaperon on field trips now.

We like our new car but miss the roominess. We do have satellite radio now which I really enjoy!

Only problem is getting good reception when driving through steep hills and wide tall trees!

Hi ihop :) So sorry to hear about the kidney infection.

Vertigo mentions probiotics. When I took ABs last month I made sure to eat plenty of yogurt with live cultures. Helps to balance the GI tract.

I was able to ease into the shiftwork somewhat. At first, I was classified 'intermittent' which gave me less responsibility to fill hours during the week, but no benefits. After a few months, I was reclassified 'Part Time'. So now, I get some benefits.

Still waiting for that golden day when I can be permanent shift, Full Time!

Anyway, ihope, take care of yourself. Hopefully, your kidney/liver issues will ease soon. As Vertigo, said take care not to overdo it.

I'll check back more to this thread tomorrow.

Thanks V & P, yes I have been loading with the probiotics & I think they do help somewhat but such a prolonged course is just hard on my gut. I will be happy as long as I don't develop another cholestasis reaction, that was really unbearable.

I have other distractions today, we have severe cyclonic storms in our area, I still have a roof & no water inside my house, (unlike many others) but have had no power for the last 24 hours &  elec coy are saying unlikely to be fixed for another 2 days. We have to stay inside but thankfully have a freezer full of rapidly defrosting food to be eaten & I have a gas range top so can cook some of the meat.

Hi ihope :)

Sorry to hear about the storm damage.

I read on weather.com about an abrupt switch in the weather over the eastern part of the country causing tornados and such :-\

I know how stress like that can pile up and effect one's CNS. I'll pray that things inprove soon. :angel:

Is your liver expected to recover well? So far, my only use of ABs has been due to sinus infection which is bad enough. If you need further assistance or guidance with that issue, you may consider a post to another board on the open forum and someone there can help you for sure.

For now, my wish is that all is as well for you as possible!

Try to take each challenge as it comes and stay well!

I'll be working a late shift tonite, so that will be my challenge: going to bed at 3:15am. ???

Will check back later...

Veritgo...I am 2 years 4 months benzo free and feel pretty much healed but w/a delicate CNS but it's all good.

I have a question though...before benzo w/d I reacted quite normal to medications like pain killers (vicoden) and cold meds (Nyquil)...quite honestly, I'd take them and be able to take a nice nap.  Well ever since withdrawal, I do not react the same.

I recently had surgery and took Vicoden and it did work for the pain, but it would make me have HIGH anxiety. I never could nap or sleep well through the night.

I now have the flu and took Mucinex Severe Congestion and it kept me up all night with HIGH anxiety.  Nyquil does the same thing..Benadryl makes me SUPER grouchy and shaky/jittery.

Will I ever react normally to taking medications again?

I wanna' thank all you wonderful people in here for all your care and support.

I got all my equipment together yesterday and today I am officially on a 6 month liquid titration taper off of 1.5mg klonopin consisting of 4.2% weekly cuts.

I'm already in tolerance withdrawals and feel WD symptoms so I know its going to be a bumpy ride, and I hope 4.2% per week isn't too fast...but I guess I have to start somewhere.

I tried to follow the Ashton Manual example of tapering off of 1.5mg klonopin (after crossing over to valium)...taking anywhere from 5 - 10 months.

So I know my taper is towards the low end of their range but its definitely in the ball park.

Today is day 1.

May God be with me.

David

Thanks, Pange, we have power & sunlight today so much better. Backyard is a big mess but will wait for it to dry out a little before tackling the debris.  Hope your late shift went ok & you were able to get to sleep afterwards.

My liver is showing normal readings & have never had liver probs before so I think it's just the benzo effect creating new sensitivities.  Am currently off the ABs, (yay) so hoping to make some healing progress again.

Sunny, don't know if any of those meds contain pseudoephedrine which is effectively legal speed but I still can't tolerate any form of stimulant including caffeine, although I am only 5 months off.

David, best wishes with your taper. I would not feel compelled to go at any particular rate just because someone else has. The Ashton manual is a great resource but it's still essentially guess work, so IMO, it's best to be guided by what your sx are telling you & don't be afraid to hold if you need to.

David, you are very lucky to have this knowledge of tapering slowely.  I wish I had know, but I tapered in larger doses and fast at the end.  Good luck to you. 

Sunny,  I can't take any medications like that.  I too get much anxiety.  I had a back operation almost 2 years ago and never took another pain medication after I left the hospital because they affected me so badly. 

ihope,  I too can't have any caffeine, sugar, chocolate because it revs up my system.  Sometimes I can't resist and it affects my sleep.  This never happened to me before benzos.  I'm 7 months off and I'm still having problems when I eat too much sugar.  Its tough because I love chocolate. 

Hi to Sunny, dmw61, and tablasco!

Sunny: Your CNS will continue to heal over time so you should expect improvement in your reactions to other meds, although this may take some time.

I don't recall having bad reactions to other meds such as those you describe post benzo. My wife, however, usually will buy cold meds that contain the least amount of  ingredients because she is sensitive to them. It may be that post benzo, I rarely took these types and that's the reason for my lack of sxs. Who knows?

I will admit that I too am pretty highly sensitive to meds and it only took a very low dose of K over the long term for me to develop tolerance to it. That being said, I don't advise this, but dry red wine has never caused me issues post taper.

Hope your flu gets better soon. I just recovered from a mild version. I had a flu shot last November. So, I got a milder one than I would have gotten minus the shot!

Hi David (dmw61) :) Welcome aboard! You say your Ashton taper failed. Was it due to a bad reaction to Valium? I used this method for my taper. At first, the recommended crossover doses were too high for me and I had to reduce. Later, I ended up stretching the taper out. However, still made it and you will too! Any questions or advise, and we'd be glad to assist you. Again, welcome!

Hi again, ihope! So glad to hear that your liver is improving. I said above that most meds don't affect me, but I think the ABs did. I was on them twice in the last year for sinus problems. There's kind of a dizzy feeling plus upset stomach feeling I get when taking those.

Also, glad to hear that you are getting sunshine :) Sorry to hear about the backyard mess. We once had an unexpected wind storm kick up that caused our glass table outside to shatter into a million pieces! :o I had to spend 2 days power vacuuming shards from the deck.

Last night was tiring  but I made it! Still have 2 more late nights to go this week. Not sure about next week. Usually I'll get a call form supervisor on Fri.

Hope all benzo and post benzo members are doing well and I'll blog more later.

Veritgo...I am 2 years 4 months benzo free and feel pretty much healed but w/a delicate CNS but it's all good.

I have a question though...before benzo w/d I reacted quite normal to medications like pain killers (vicoden) and cold meds (Nyquil)...quite honestly, I'd take them and be able to take a nice nap.  Well ever since withdrawal, I do not react the same.

I recently had surgery and took Vicoden and it did work for the pain, but it would make me have HIGH anxiety. I never could nap or sleep well through the night.

I now have the flu and took Mucinex Severe Congestion and it kept me up all night with HIGH anxiety.  Nyquil does the same thing..Benadryl makes me SUPER grouchy and shaky/jittery.

Will I ever react normally to taking medications again?

Hi Sunny.  I think the CNS can be sensitive for several years to even such things as over the counter meds, much less prescription ones!  Same may be the case with "legal drugs" like caffeine and alcohol.  Anything that can impact a healing CNS, particularly if you happen to be more sensitive than others, may take a little longer to heal, sometimes a few years.  In my case, I am able to handle some light over the counter medications, but I generally try to take half the recommended dose whenever possible.  For example, I cut the allegra in half and instead of taking 180mg, 90mg seems to be enough.  Some medications that are time released won't work that way (meaning if cut in half, they don't work the same or may cause problems so be sure to check whether something is time release or not), such as prilosec.  However, instead of taking it every day now, I seem to do fine with it every other day or sometimes just two or three times a week.  I had reflux and stomach problems before benzos so my stomach issues are not benzo caused but have been around for a while.  I hope to be able to stop the prilosec completely in the next year though.  I tried about two years ago but was not able to stop it completely, but am happy to have reduced the prilosec by half (meaning every other day). 

Recently, I found out that I have low vitamin D and am taking a supplement and trying to get sunshine when I can.  My guess is that with time, you will be able to gradually handle more medications should you need them, although some may be problematic for a longer time.  Of course, anything that may impact GABA should be researched carefully, especially in the first 1-3 years off the benzo.  And anything that might have the opposite reaction such as a stimulant might have a stronger impact and as I said, check with your doctor, but some may be able to handle a lower dose of a medication if needed.  I generally try to avoid the combination cold medicines because if you have a reaction, you may not know what you reacted to.  One can usually get the ingredients separately, so if you have a cough, try a cough medicine, for example.  If you have more of a runny nose and allergy, maybe try benadryl (I am not giving medical advice here, just reporting on my experience. One should always check with one's doctor about even over the counter meds).  That being said, if one has a fever, one could add tylenol or motrin... rather than the combo cold medicine.  If you have a need to thin out the mucous, try mucinex separately for a limited time (perhaps a lower dose and/or lower time frame such as 4 hour kind rather than a 12 or 24 hour time release...) and see how one does, rather than in a combination cold medicine which may have it for longer timer release in it...  It may be more expensive to buy them separately, but I find I have a better sense of what is working and what is not.

Best,

Vertigo 

Thanks everyone!  I have a super bad case of this  horrible flu and my doctor called in a cough syrup called Tussionex.. It's hydrocodone and antihistamine.  Well, it completely stopped the cough, which was quite nice, but I did not sleep at all. Both my doctor and pharmacist said "you will sleep like a baby"...Ha! Not true!

It did loosen up my lungs so I'm hoping to not have to take a repeat dose. I was coughing to the point of vomiting, so it was nice to have a reprieve from that. Hopefully it will be a more "productive" cough and I will sleep better tonight w/out any meds.

I do try to stay away from all meds, but between surgery and this god awful flu it's been impossible this month! This flu is insane! The body aches are severe and 600mgs of Ibuprofen didn't touch it! The tussionex at least made me more physicallly comfortable.

Thanks again for all the info!

Hi again :)

I just got over a bout with the flu. I went in last week for allergy testing while in the midst of it. My wife had had it previously. She suspected flu but wasn't sure. While at the medical center, the allergist asked me my symptoms and then said it sounded like flu.

When I explained my flu shot last November, he told me that the shot will either give a 62% of not getting it or if you do, it would be a milder form.

So, I guess I had a 'mild' case. Anyway, the 'milder' version was bad enough. I do hope Sunny, that you recover soon and can rest. Also, this flu caused me nightime wakings because I was unable to breath properly. That could be impacting your sleep.

Right now, I'm feeling jet lag. Mon night worked late (till 2:30am). Last night, I went to bed early (10:30pm), but it always takes me 2 days to recover from a late night. Unfortunatley, I have a late night again tonight, so I can't sleep at a normal time once again.

It looks like my schedule will end up being like this again next week and I'm sure not looking forward to it. How I long for a permanent day schedule!

Anyway, hope all are doing well. Thanks V, for replying here :thumbsup: I'll most likely be back tomorrow sometime after waking, whenever that may be...

take care all 'till then

I did not get the flu shot and all I can say is I wish I did!  This has been the worst ever!  The body aches are so miserable. My husband got it 2 days before I did and I am following exactly in his steps.  2 days ago he started having less body aches and a migraine and intense sinus pressure and runny nose replaced it... well that is exactly what has happened to me today.

The good news is, last night I did not get 1 minute of sleep (that's not the good news).... I had only taken 1 dose of the Tussionex..anyway at 6am I decided to take some and at least stop coughing for a bit. Well, I fell asleep for 5 hours straight!  It was AWESOME! 

This is my 5th day of the flu. Most say viruses last 10-14 days...so I might be half way done!

Sorry you are suffering Sunny, this sounds like a nasty bug.  I have always had a hyperactive immune system with lots of allergies but the upside is I have virtually never had a cold or the flu.

My wave is continuing, was woken several times with adrenaline surges & have had to up my clonidine dose to manage the POTS.

I hope at least some of us are having windows.

This year the Norovirus is supposed to be especially strong.  It's basically like a stomach flu that results in several days of vomiting.  It is not the flu though, but some say it can feel worse.  There is no vaccine and the only thing one can do to prevent it is wash hands and not touch mouth or nose after touching surfaces where the germs might be (in public places and can be active for 48 hours after getting on a surface).  Apparently it is very hard to kill and antibacterial soap and hot diswasher may not eradicate it.  Some areas of the country are getting hit with it and it is expected to spread.  If one is recently post benzo or low in dose and feeling very symptomatic in terms of withdrawal and general heatlh, it might be a good idea not to eat out a lot this next couple months and be mindful of good hygiene.  The article below makes some suggestions, but it's a rigorous strain this year.  Again, is not the flu or stomach flu, but a very strong virus which has apparently been around for some time.

http://middletown-ct.patch.com/articles/this-year-norovirus-more-severe-than-flu-in-middletown-schoolchildren

Vertigo