Long-Term Users group - w/d and recovery after longterm use

[my...]

Read all my posts guys, you'll see why. I give up. I am just going to break off 1/4 pill of my .5 Klonopin every two weeks and suffer. I take 1.5 k a day 3x day every 8 hours. Been on benzos 39 years. Used to taking with Xanax or Serax. C/T Xanax in January. Want off benzos. In tolerance. Hadn't had tolerance for 38 years, at least I don't think I did. Do now. In Hell. Trying every kind of taper. Failing. This will come out to be an 8 month w/d. Good enough. I don't care if my 1/4 pill is exactly accurate either at this point. I will make it work.

Frustrated.

Marian

Hi Marian

copied above from other thread

You say you take 4.5 mg K per day  and plan to cut 1/4 of 0.5 mg per fortnight.  That is half a tablet or 0.25 mg every 4 weeks or 1 tablet, 0.5 mg every 8 weeks.

I think you take 9 x 0.5 mg tablets a day.

This rate would take 9 x 8 weeks = 72 weeks.

I think this is a good plan but it will take much longer than you think if I am right.

Have I misunderstood your post in some way?  My brain is fuzzy so I do get things wrong.  :'(

I tapered off too quickly and have had a really hard time but can understand you wanting to get off ASAP.

I see you C/T off Xanax in January.  That must be one of the reasons you are feeling so ill, or is it?

Hugs

LF  :smitten:

PS  Just read you take only 1.5 mg a day so my calculations are wrong!! Sorry!!

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [MT...]

• [Mo...]

• [Ba...]

• [pr...]

LF...I am in sheer Hell. Not one doctor believes this is from benzos! I am on only 1.5 mg klonopin a day. Not 4.5

I added a .25 xanax this afternoon. I had to. The hell is too much and I am truly actually ready to take my life. No kidding. I cannot go on like this anymore. 

I either have to reinstate more K to get out of Hell, unless the K has turned on me and is making me worse, or I have to continue my .5 K 3x day every 8 hours...and add back at least two .25 Xanax between doses. I don't know what to do. It's either that or die. Please help me. My physician thinks I am a crazy hypochondriac and doesn't understand this. I also have Gabapentin in my purse, afraid to try it, the shrink told me to try it. 100 mg. 3x day. Supposed to be a low dose. I don't want it. My husband wants his wife back. He wants me back on benzos even if it has to be forever because he sees my deep suffering. LF...please tell me what to do. Please.

Marian

Mozart/Marian, please don't take your life. I'm hearing  how miserable you are as you go through the hell of wd but I believe you can make it with support.

The gabapentin is worth trying. It can help with anxiety and sleep and would be better than updosing. If I didn't have an exceptionally rare side effect from it (fever) I would take it until I'm better.

We're here for you :smitten: :smitten:

Katie

LF...I am in sheer Hell. Not one doctor believes this is from benzos! I am on only 1.5 mg klonopin a day. Not 4.5

I added a .25 xanax this afternoon. I had to. The hell is too much and I am truly actually ready to take my life. No kidding. I cannot go on like this anymore. 

I either have to reinstate more K to get out of Hell, unless the K has turned on me and is making me worse, or I have to continue my .5 K 3x day every 8 hours...and add back at least two .25 Xanax between doses. I don't know what to do. It's either that or die. Please help me. My physician thinks I am a crazy hypochondriac and doesn't understand this. I also have Gabapentin in my purse, afraid to try it, the shrink told me to try it. 100 mg. 3x day. Supposed to be a low dose. I don't want it. My husband wants his wife back. He wants me back on benzos even if it has to be forever because he sees my deep suffering. LF...please tell me what to do. Please.

Marian

Marian

Nothing is worth taking your life for.  I am sorry I can't advise you on what drugs to take but others can. I haven't had experience of the drugs you mention.  Katie thinks the gabapentin is worth a try.  Anything is worth a try when you are feeling desperate. 

There is nothing wrong with being on benzos if you have to be.  It just depends how they affect you. 

Don't do anything to harm yourself.

Hugs

LF  :smitten:

Marain if you are serious please call the suicide hot line number.  On this site go to the withdrawal board to get advice on how to do a safe taper. IMHO you are going way too quickly.  If you go back on your dose - whatever that is stay there until you feel better and try and get stable. If you have to go up then so be it.  Then after you are  stable only if you wish to get off try cutting much smaller amounts - you can do a daily taper using a scale or liquid or do way smaller cuts.  The problem with staying on benzos forever is that they stop working and you can hit tolerance and you feel all the symptoms of withdrawal on the drug.  I was on them for years and I was fine until I started tapering.  I went back up and felt fine and was prepared to take my klonopin forever - 4 months later I hit tolerance and had no choice but to get off. I tried valium cross over - didn't work, liquid taper, didn't work, then did cut and hold with gram scale so doses were consistent  - got down a fair amt and then awful symptoms, I held and started daily taper.  I am now on 1/2 of my dose since last year. Is it hard yes - do I feel better than I did last year and in tolerance - yes. 

I don't know about the other drugs suggested but some people find that they gabapentin helps- I think if you search the boards for alternative medicines site you will find people using this and how much they take.  Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Hi all. I undeestand. Taking my life would be tragic I know but if it were not for the fact that it would kill my husband I absolutely would. I know it is sad because I have a lot of talent. Been a performer all my life. I am also intelligent, kind and funny. But now I am none of those things in this Hell. I realized something. I want to know if you all agree. I broke down and took a Xanax yesterday (remember I had been off of them) but I had to. I was screaming from torture. It helped a little along with half of a benadryl to potentiate it. Then I was pretty "normal" the rest of the night. Woke up fearful. I took my Klonopin. I really, truly believe the Klonopin has been giving me a paradoxical effect, or as you said, I am in withdrawals even on it. I am afraid to up it if it has turned on me which I really believe. I, too, failed 3 times on Valium c/o and tried liquid a few days but I was doing it without being stable. Yes, I realize going back up in some way has to happen right now. I either need to really go for the Valium c/o yet again because I have to replace/get rid of the Klonopin OR I have to add in doses of either Xanax or Serax. My shrink's wife died so he's been gone a while. I see him next Friday again. He would support the Valium or whatever but I hope he would replace the Klonopin. He did prescribe the Gabapentin. But shouldn't that be reserved for taper when it comes time? Another question I have for you....if I reinstate Xanax, how would I taper (later after trying to get stable and out of Hell) two kinds of benzos at one time? If you know anyone on this board who would know please forward to them and ask. My hysband just lost his mother unexpectedly and my family's all dead in very sudden, tragic deaths. He only has me and vice versa. He told me, and rightfully so, that he needs his wife back even if it means taking the benzos the rest of my life. He thinks Klonopin has turned on me too. He wants me to go to Xanax. Those are the two damn hardest strongest ones. That iswhy I should either retry the V crosdover which Iis bad because V is weak, and makes me have more "benzo rage" stuff....or be switched to Dalmane or something, that is the one I used gor years starting very young, but it was strong and very long-acting, at leadt back then. For today I already took my 6am Klonopin, one 10 mg. Propranolol and half a Benadryl.  But I still feel agitated from that Klonopin. Please give me your thoughrs and please forward this to any experts you know. My Primary Care Doctor yesterday, when I saw her in a terrible state, rwally treated me like a mental case. I am wanting out of this Hell and am now willing to take any drugs I have to take in any cocktail of pills I need to use. THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE FOR ME.

HERE IS THE DILEMMA:

I tend to follow Prof Ashton's advice about reinstating, which is not to.  Here's her write-up with reasoning:Reinstatement, updosingA dilemma faced by some people in the process of benzodiazepine withdrawal, or after withdrawal, is what to do if they have intolerable symptoms which do not lessen after many weeks. If they are still taking benzodiazepines, should they increase the dose? If they have already withdrawn, should they reinstate benzodiazepines and start the withdrawal process again? This is a difficult situation which, like all benzodiazepine problems, depends to some degree on the circumstances and the individual, and there are no hard and fast rules.Reinstatement after withdrawal? Many benzodiazepine users who find themselves in this position have withdrawn too quickly; some have undergone 'cold turkey'. They think that if they go back on benzodiazepines and start over again on a slower schedule they will be more successful. Unfortunately, things are not so simple. For reasons that are not clear, (but perhaps because the original experience of withdrawal has already sensitised the nervous system and heightened the level of anxiety) the original benzodiazepine dose often does not work the second time round. Some may find that only a higher dose partially alleviates their symptoms, and then they still have to go through a long withdrawal process again, which again may not be symptom-free.Updosing during withdrawal? Some people hit a "sticky patch" during the course of benzodiazepine withdrawal. In many cases, staying on the same dose for a longer period (not more than a few weeks) before resuming the withdrawal schedule allows them to overcome this obstacle. However, increasing the dose until a longed-for plateau of 'stability' arrives is not a good strategy. The truth is that one never 'stabilises' on a given dose of benzodiazepine. The dose may be stable but withdrawal symptoms are not. It is better to grit one's teeth and continue the withdrawal. True recovery cannot really start until the drug is out of the system.Pharmacologically, neither reinstating nor updosing is really rational. If withdrawal symptoms are still present, it means that the GABA/benzodiazepine receptors have not fully recovered (see above). Further benzodiazepines cause further down-regulation, strengthen the dependence, prolong withdrawal, delay recovery and may lead to protracted symptoms. In general, the longer the person remains on benzodiazepines the more difficult it is to withdraw. On the whole, anyone who remained benzodiazepine-free, or has remained on the same dose, for a number of weeks or months would be ill-advised to start again or to increase dosage. It would be better to devote the brain to solving individual symptoms and to finding sources of advice and support. Advice about how to deal with individual symptoms is given in the Manual (Chapter 3).

Mozart, I'm glad you're reading the Ashton stuff. I think she's right. It seems whenever I read about people updosing or reinstating they regret it because it doesn't work out how they hope and there's that delay. Adding another benzo complicates your recovery. You can prevent your body from adjusting to another benzo, downregulating GABA further, by holding where you are. I really think it's worth trying the gabapentin. If benadryl is helping, use it. You might ask your doc about vistaril/hyroxyzine. It's related but tends to provide more effective anxiety reduction and sedation. Again, those other meds are easier to taper off than benzos. Much quicker. You don't need to "save" them. If you need more you can take higher doses. 100 mg is extremely low. I took at much as 1,200 mg and people take even higher. I'm not recommending you take a ton, just letting you know there's leeway here.

Katie

Mozart,

i had really tried to taper for 9 years even going by Ashton method and i just couldn't do it. i was in the same exact place you are right now and i added 2mg xanax and i also added soma when i had done by cross over from klonopin to valium but i just couldn't taper so i did the cold turkey from 30mg valium, 2mg xanax, 1750mg soma and i had taken 6mg ativan the day i went into the detox. and this was after being on large dose's of klonopin for over ten years with mulitple withdrawal attempts that already had kindled me although i didn't know what had happened to me. i still suffering from many severe symptoms here at the 32 month mark but i am slowly getting better.

i had worked with 3 women on here who were in the same position as you who all took their lives because they couldn't taper and two of them went into a detox and tried to come off the benzo's. one of them was a cold turkey and on here for about 4 months, one of them killed herself just after detox and one killed herself in the detox. everytime i feel some relief or a partial window i think about them and wished they would have waited because relief is inevitable -- just never know when? and sometimes you have to hold on for a very long time, i honestly don't know how i haven't blown out my own brains?

there is a buddie named Ellen2012 who has done a very slow taper from klonopin but using both klonopin and valium titration which i thought is a great way to do this since valium has the longest half life which can help the symptoms not be so severe.

if i had to do this over again, that's the way i would do it. i'd get a scale, pester, mortar, liquid -- and i would do dry cuts of the klonopin and a liquid valium titration. Ellen first got off the klonopin and continued with the liquid titration valium and she's doing pretty good. you could talk to her or spend a lot of time on the tapering threads to get the help and support you need.

anyway, that's what i would do if i were in your position and i would just try to stabalize as best as possible even though i know it's sometimes impossible to feel stable. even if one of the benzo's was turning paradoxical, i would just try to continue through that kind of slow taper. i know Ashton says:

True recovery cannot really start until the drug is out of the system
but i believe if one is going very slow and doesn't updose that the receptor's do have a chance to heal as you taper.

if you are interested in knowing the 3 women's names (if you're ever interested in reading some of their posts) just send me PM.

hang in there!

Pretty

Hi Pretty, that is so awfully sad.  Incredibly sad.  I understand it too.  Horrific.  I'm afraid I won't make it too.  But you gave me lots of encouragement, thank you for that.  I need to understand that Valium, Klonopin taper, because together they really work well for me...but when I've tried the c/o I couldn't stand when it was JUST Valium, it made me agitated...I liked them together though.  I need to ask Ellen, right?  I really want to.  I hope you are hanging on.  I have to find a way to hang on.  Either with the continued help of the Benadryl/Propanolol or with Gabapentin or just fighting through.  I have stopped my taper several times over several months with c/o, liquid, everything has failed.  I ordered a gram scale today.  I have all the other equipment you mentioned.  All.  Please point Ellen to me somehow, I appreciate it.  I am not even withdrawing right now.  Just in tolerance Hell.  I hope you are doing better and better, I am so glad to hear from you, my musical friend.

Hi Pretty, that is so awfully sad.  Incredibly sad.  I understand it too.  Horrific.  I'm afraid I won't make it too.  But you gave me lots of encouragement, thank you for that.  I need to understand that Valium, Klonopin taper, because together they really work well for me...but when I've tried the c/o I couldn't stand when it was JUST Valium, it made me agitated...I liked them together though.  I need to ask Ellen, right?  I really want to.  I hope you are hanging on.  I have to find a way to hang on.  Either with the continued help of the Benadryl/Propanolol or with Gabapentin or just fighting through.  I have stopped my taper several times over several months with c/o, liquid, everything has failed.  I ordered a gram scale today.  I have all the other equipment you mentioned.  All.  Please point Ellen to me somehow, I appreciate it.  I am not even withdrawing right now.  Just in tolerance Hell.  I hope you are doing better and better, I am so glad to hear from you, my musical friend.

Mozart,

i realized as i was laying down for my nap that my post could be a little to scary and i'm sorry for that. i was just worried about you and i know that there is relief on the other side of this. may take some time and a lot of work and a lot of digging deep into those reserves we have -- but it's there. i sure wouldn't be doing this for so long if i didn't think that something great could come out of this and i could once again feel healthy and peaceful. i sure am not there yet but i do have moments.

would you like me to send Ellen a PM and have her be in touch with you? she's a wonderful lady and i really liked the way she has tapered throughout this whole deal.

love, Pretty

Mozart:  I am doing a taper like Ellen did.  You add in a small amt of Valium for me it is 2 mg.  I take 1 mg in AM and 1 in  PM. For you it may be a different amt.  Before I started tapering I was not stable just couldn't get there so I just started tapering.  If I hadn't I would probably still be waiting - like you I was in tolerance. You do not taper the valium at all.  You just taper the klonopin slowly using the gram scale.  You start at .001 the smallest cut you can make.  If you are taking .5 mg pills you can try this for 3-4 days and then hold for a day or two - it depends how you feel.  If you are taking 1 mg pills you may have to cut every other day to start.  It is all up to how you feel.  You won't get away symptom free - or perhaps you will - one never knows - but this type of taper puts you in total control.  If you don't feel well don't cut if you feel you can go on then you can. The cuts are small and it will take time but there is no rush to this since you want to feel okay. Ironically last year at this time at a much higher dose I was feeling much worse,  now I am on 1/2 of what I was taking - yes it took me a year to get here. Like you I tried different things that didn't work so it was trying to figure out what worked for me.  Ellen is very helpful, she is off klonopin now and tapering her Valium.  SG will help you do the math but he will do it if you post of the withdrawal sites not via PM.  If you go the klonopin support board there are many people doing the daily taper with the gram scale and doing well on it.    You will be fine - it may take longer than you want but I truly believe we do heal as we get off. 

Mozart,

i realized as i was laying down for my nap that my post could be a little to scary and i'm sorry for that. i was just worried about you and i know that there is relief on the other side of this. may take some time and a lot of work and a lot of digging deep into those reserves we have -- but it's there. i sure wouldn't be doing this for so long if i didn't think that something great could come out of this and i could once again feel healthy and peaceful. i sure am not there yet but i do have moments.

would you like me to send Ellen a PM and have her be in touch with you? she's a wonderful lady and i really liked the way she has tapered throughout this whole deal.

YES YES PLEASE DO THAT FOR ME. PLEASE SEND HER A PM TO TALK TO ME. THANKS.

love, Pretty

Mozart:  I am doing a taper like Ellen did.  You add in a small amt of Valium for me it is 2 mg.  I take 1 mg in AM and 1 in  PM. For you it may be a different amt.  Before I started tapering I was not stable just couldn't get there so I just started tapering.  If I hadn't I would probably still be waiting - like you I was in tolerance. You do not taper the valium at all.  You just taper the klonopin slowly using the gram scale.  You start at .001 the smallest cut you can make.  If you are taking .5 mg pills you can try this for 3-4 days and then hold for a day or two - it depends how you feel.  If you are taking 1 mg pills you may have to cut every other day to start.  It is all up to how you feel.  You won't get away symptom free - or perhaps you will - one never knows - but this type of taper puts you in total control.  If you don't feel well don't cut if you feel you can go on then you can. The cuts are small and it will take time but there is no rush to this since you want to feel okay. Ironically last year at this time at a much higher dose I was feeling much worse,  now I am on 1/2 of what I was taking - yes it took me a year to get here. Like you I tried different things that didn't work so it was trying to figure out what worked for me.  Ellen is very helpful, she is off klonopin now and tapering her Valium.  SG will help you do the math but he will do it if you post of the withdrawal sites not via PM.  If you go the klonopin support board there are many people doing the daily taper with the gram scale and doing well on it.    You will be fine - it may take longer than you want but I truly believe we do heal as we get off.

Kgirl,

so great that you are tapering this way. i would honestly have loved to do it this way. i am so mad that i didn't but i just didn't know. that was 9 years of pure hell and now another 32 months after c/t.

when i read Ellen's blog, she definitely isn't without symptoms but you can tell that she is control of her taper and that is how it should be. that's how it was for my mother too. you should feel complete control and hold for as long as you need to.

Mozart,

i sent Ellen a note for you. :smitten:

Hello Mybra, you and others here are not alone. I've been on Ativan for 10+ years. At my worst I was at 10 mg and now I'm down to 3.75 mg. I am tapering at this time. It's nice to know there are others.

How's everybody holding up? I'm feeling discouraged today. The suffering goes on so long. I'm not seeing any progress with my sleeplessness and today I don't feel any motivation to fight. I usually make myself exercise but nothing I do makes the smallest amount of difference on sleep. Exercise helps some with mood stuff but today I can't seem to move.

I have copied and pasted this post by River Wolf, as we who have suffered for a long time need to see posts like this. I read a lot of River Wolfs posts he's an angel and his writing is a great help and comfort to me, I hope it will be to others here too. And also the other post by Parker 'Whats happening in your brain'' is another one of great help, links for River Wolf and Parker below

Love Nova xxxxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

River Wolf

Howling happy to be free. The Love is back...Yes!

Re: River's Wolf Den

[ Quote]

I've been lurking around for awhile - not participating much these days. . .

been having some vision problems - early cataracts - and that has taken a lot of my attention.

Today I'm in a big window and wanted to say hi. Last Summer was 2 years out for me and I was just about to write my success story after a great Summer - and then I went into a mild to moderate 4 month wave.  darn it.

Now I'm at 32 months and having weekly windows and waves, but still functional and living my life and so happy to be feeling good enough to enjoy my life overall.

After the hell of wd, the mild window and wave stage is a welcome relief, and life is mostly enjoyable and satisfying.

So if you are still suffering and cannot see that it will ever get better, know that I was there and felt lost and abandoned and hopeless myself - and now I have a new life and that you will have one too.

You may not believe me - you might think that you are the exception and that you are toast - that you are too far gone - but I am here to tell you that all you have to do is survive long enought and you will be happy again.

Your healing WILL come - all you have to do is to not take yourself out  - and you will have a second chance at life. . .

. .  . and like me you will feel more grateful that ever that you are alive and happy

The important thing to remember if you are suffering terribly, is that you do not have to believe that you will get better - all you have to do is survive long enough.

I am writing this for those of you who are on the edge - do not go over it - stay on this side of the line and you will see.

. .  . you will see just like I did.

Your turn to be happy and free IS coming.

River  :smitten:

MY BLOG FOR HOPE -  RIVER'S  WOLF DEN http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=69668.msg928337#msg928337

OR

RIVER'S BLOG DIGEST http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=96656.msg1236819#msg1236819

parker What is happening in your brain? http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=66397.0

you might think that you are the exception and that you are toast

i do feel like i am toast and the exception with these head symptoms persisting so long and every single moment from night in bed until i wake up in morning and all day. :'(

thanks for posting this Nova, i needed to read these words today. :smitten:

When I take K I get more anxious. It used to quell my anxiety. I have tried the c/o to V a few times but always got scared because V felt weak and made me a bit racy or agitated. But it may not be worse. Ashton says that people on K have trouble c/o to V. But it couldn't be worse right? I think I need to do the c/o and just do it. It is very straightforward. But what does one do if the V turns out bad? Xanax is the only one that agrees with me but it is the worst and strongest one. I was on that concurrently with klonopin for years. My pdoc told me to c/t Xanax because the klonopin was on board and would "cover" it. I have been in Hell. I c/t it end of January. Only took .25 Xanax PRN up to 4x day usually using 2x a day on average.  I need off the K. I have held too long at stage two of the  c/o while cutting the morning K by 1/8 of a pill. My dose is the equivalent of 1.5 Klonopin a day. I dose every 8 hours. I use halves of benadryl a few times a day (sedating) and 10 mg. propanolol 2x day to help. Are you not supposed to take benadryl with benzos? I don't card about sedation. I just want breathing to be ok..if you could please read my posts that would help and I would appreciate it.

I am trying to get off of 39 years of benzos.

I NEED YOUR HELP. Now I KNOW the Klonopin makes me severely anxious. What am I gonna do?

Hi Marian:

I know kpin can do that. So can other benzos. I felt I was headed in that direction tho I never got to the paradoxical point. I think making a partial and gradual C/O from K to V was one of the best decisions I ever made. I feel calm, collected and no ups and downs like Xanax causes you. If you decide to take that route, then make sure you tell your doc that 1 mg of Kpin equals 20 mg of Valium. And Valium takes about two weeks to build up, so patience is required. Wishing you the best. fwiw~ take a look at the replies I made to you on KK.

:smitten:

Bets

NOVA 1...THANK YOU FOR POSTING RIVER'S QUOTE. PLEASE PM IT TO ME.

-

I've done it sweetie  :thumbsup:

Love Nova xxxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Any advice? Valium c/o is good as I am a long-term benzo user of 39 years, mostly Klonopin with Xanax or Serax for the last many years, but have been on several benzos. Valium works well so far BUT makes me very agitated in the morning and may continue to escalate. I need advice for what to do about "benzo rage" which I have had from other before. That is very tough. I am sure exercise would help but I have been bedridden out of fear and phobic to exercise because I have been sedentary for too long. The Klonopin turned on me and, after many years, started giving me paradoxical effects I.e. putting me in a terror state. I hope Valium stays the course and doesn't turn, but there's this benzo rage; agitation problem from it. Thanks for any help.