Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

support for those w/ head pressure

[mi...]

I have head pressure severe muscle tightness on my head which feels like a tight band around the head and a tight knot on the top it has got worse at 8 years. I was doing well the first 6 years, the problem was there but tolerable. Seems stress and bad sleep habits make it worse. I don't understand how many of you describe this head pressure but for me it feels like the scalp muscle is spasmed or constricted and not releasing. Severe discomfort and a feeling of being trapped.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [pr...]

• [Lo...]

• [mi...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

TatorTog, I sure do understand where you're coming from.  My cognitive functioning is very bad now too compared to how I was 8 or so years ago.  I can't believe I have 6 years of college and and a college degree and was always on the Dean's list and used to work a full-time lab job.  I even did a very good job at all the places I worked at and got excellent job reviews.  Now I can't even balance my checkbook anymore.

Becks, I am so sorry and can relate. You were very accomplished and capable. You excelled in academics and did good useful work. To be stripped of intellect and feel so incapable and know the difference between how we were and how we are now is so insane and frustrating. I graduated college and earned a teaching certificate afterward and now I couldn't teach anything. I cannot learn anything let alone teach kids anything. They are more mentally flexible and smarter than me now. I thank God that I dont have to work otherwise Id be living under a bridge probably. Or washing dishes somewhere. Does anyone know how benzos and the withdrawal cause this level of brain damage?

My doctor told me a few days ago that benzos cannot possibly cause this level of damage because the benzo is out of my system and referred me to a neuro-psych. She is supposedly naturopathic-certified but still told me this nonsense this far out. They are still this ignorant. And I have a friend who is a coach and says that she thinks I'd heal faster if only I got away from my controlling boyfriend. Like emotional stuff has much to do with the damage that benzos do. As if he has that much power.

I feel so freaking alone in this but I know I am not.

Are we all suffering from same type of head pressure.

I have moving head pressurel and as scoby as it feel constricted where muscles are not release.

Hi. Not sure this post fits this group, but does anyone have trouble with balance or vestibular system issues? I have the continuous head and face pressure, worse at some times than others as well as difficult riding a bicycle, more tendencies to fall (or almost fall) when walking, etc.

If there is another post or group about this, please let me know (I'm still fairly new to BB).

Thanks, Rascal

Sounds like you have an arrogant, know-it-all doc.

Yes, and she isn't even a MD. She's a Nurse Practitioner! She is supposedly a very hippie, functional med type NP which I liked intially loved after all my time with allopathic-educated emotionally-disconnected pill-pushing doctors but she doesn't even have that education. I think I need to change physicians, maybe a real naturopath. Its so hard to find a good doctor. Especially one who is benzo-saavy. Where or where can this unicorn be?

Hi. Not sure this post fits this group, but does anyone have trouble with balance or vestibular system issues? I have the continuous head and face pressure, worse at some times than others as well as difficult riding a bicycle, more tendencies to fall (or almost fall) when walking, etc.

If there is another post or group about this, please let me know (I'm still fairly new to BB).

Thanks, Rascal

Hi rascal,

I had this issue for awhile. I found it hard to find balance on my bike and often toppled over while walking. I had to find a grip everywhere just in case. I found that this cleared up after 8 months or so. Thats how it worked for me, anyway. I am now almost 4 years off and things steadily improve.

I went to see 2 NP's in my life and never will again.  Both were terrible.  Only MD's or DO's now.

Yeah, I agree with you Becks. I can't believe I wasted so much time explaining all bout benzodiazepine withdrawal nightmare when she really never believed me anyway. I never got any real info from her regarding other health issues, too. What a waste. Its such a shame that it takes a month to get an appointment with the D.O.. Health care system sucks.

The one NP I went to see acted like she was going to use the stethoscope to check my heart.  She put it in her ears and put the other end over my chest but didn't even touch my chest with it.  Duh?

Thanks, Rascal

Hi rascal,

I had this issue for awhile. I found it hard to find balance on my bike and often toppled over while walking. I had to find a grip everywhere just in case. I found that this cleared up after 8 months or so. Thats how it worked for me, anyway. I am now almost 4 years off and things steadily improve.

Thanks so much- (sorry I didn't see your comment earlier). I'm continuing to ride....one time recently, while riding at mid pace (picture this) my confidence in my balance was so low I threw one of my arms around a tree to try to steady myself. Tree didn't like that, and bit me hard. Poor thing. I checked on it yesterday- it shows no marks while I'm nursing not only a bruised and scratched up arm, but my ego. I have much to learn  ;)

The one NP I went to see acted like she was going to use the stethoscope to check my heart.  She put it in her ears and put the other end over my chest but didn't even touch my chest with it.  Duh?

Sounds like a charlatan to me, Becks. And they aren’t  cheap either. The naturopath near me quoted $350 for the first visit and $250 thereafter plus all costs of tests and supplements. I need a real doctor with a holistic edge, if possible. I have to get something out of this health insurance!

Thanks, Rascal

Hi rascal,

Thanks so much- (sorry I didn't see your comment earlier). I'm continuing to ride....one time recently, while riding at mid pace (picture this) my confidence in my balance was so low I threw one of my arms around a tree to try to steady myself. Tree didn't like that, and bit me hard. Poor thing. I checked on it yesterday- it shows no marks while I'm nursing not only a bruised and scratched up arm, but my ego. I have much to learn  ;)

That would be an ego blow after all those years of riding bikes, for sure. But it’s just the loopy symptoms from crossing over benzos and tapering. Congratulations on researching Ashton Manual and getting it all together to really do it. I wish you all the luck in the world for a good crossover and taper experience. You were on them for a while, but others have done it and so can you. I was on K for 7 years but didn’t know what I was doing and tapered rapidly. I wish I had done what you are doing. I don’t know you yet, but I’m so freaking proud of you!

I have a reduced fee clinic I go to for those who are poor, like me.  I only pay $20/visit which includes the labs.  Since I'd pay $20 for the MD, DO's and NP's, I'll get my money's worth and see the real docs.  I don't think NP's are qualified to be diagnosing and treating people like real docs.

I have a reduced fee clinic I go to for those who are poor, like me.  I only pay $20/visit which includes the labs.  Since I'd pay $20 for the MD, DO's and NP's, I'll get my money's worth and see the real docs.  I don't think NP's are qualified to be diagnosing and treating people like real docs.

Well, that’s good Becks. I’m glad that there are services like that available. I hope you feel like you are getting quality care. I can’t remember when I felt like I was receiving good care. I guess I’ll keep looking. 

I've never had a bad experience with any MD, or DO, but quite the opposite.  I have great respect and trust in medical docs. 

I've never had a bad experience with any MD, or DO, but quite the opposite.  I have great respect and trust in medical docs.

That’s wonderful and very fortunate that you’ve had good experiences with MD’s and DO’s. Have you found they understand protracted withdrawal syndrome or understand the problems with benzos and psych meds? So many are indoctrinated by pharmaceutical companies that they act like we are crazy.

I told my last doc about how I've been quite ill since doing a c/t off benzo's and she just listened intently and didn't refute anything I said.  She was a very good doc.  I'm sure she's filing that information away in case other patients have the same problem.  Even the attorney I had for my SSDI hearing told the judge that I was taking benzo's and at the time I didn't understand why he told the judge that.  I didn't even think that that was what was wrong with me at the time, but the attorney mentioned it to the judge anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Rascal

Just when I needed validation- I found your response TaterTot- thanks ever so much! It' SO stinkin slow but I'm making little check marks 3 times every day with a gold sparkly pen to mark progress (and time). I just finished the cross over 10 days ago and now am tapering down on the V. Thanks again! Rascal

Hi rascal,

That would be an ego blow after all those years of riding bikes, for sure. But it’s just the loopy symptoms from crossing over benzos and tapering. Congratulations on researching Ashton Manual and getting it all together to really do it. I wish you all the luck in the world for a good crossover and taper experience. You were on them for a while, but others have done it and so can you. I was on K for 7 years but didn’t know what I was doing and tapered rapidly. I wish I had done what you are doing. I don’t know you yet, but I’m so freaking proud of you!

• 1 year later...

Anybody with resolution of head pressure?. My muscle tension squeezing of my head has got worse over the years now its intolerable. My whole head feels super tight gripped from the muscle and then shifts from tight band to pressure squeezing on top. Anyone have similar distribution of symptoms?.

When i say head pressure i mean MUSCLE not sinus or sinus congestion/allergy related.

Scooby99:  I have similar muscle/tension/pressure headaches, mine primarily left sided and across the front of my face. 

I have found some things that seem to be progressively helping.  I, however, have dealt with some incapacity to absorb or keep magnesium levels consistent enough to keep me from cramping, experiencing heart issues and general muscle tightness.  So, magnesium for me is a necessity twice a day.  There are some magnesium supplements I would never take and there are dozens to choose from but I take 400 mg of asporotate (good for heart, muscles) and a combination 500mg chloride, citrate, glycinate, and taurinate.  I am a 140 lb female and I tolerate these well.  No GI issues.  I take one before bed and it is very relaxing.  I would never take mag oxide which is generally what they give you in the hospital.  I've read many times that 70% of the general population is deficient in magnesium. 

I wrote when I first joined this site and had found a head pressure group, how resistance exercises helped me.  Since then I found I was close but self applied accupressure to the base of my head (the nobs at the back of my skull on each side of my spinal column) has been a better therapy.  My head used to be tighter than a bowling  ball and now my range of motion is quite normal and I am pretty sure my lumphatics are draining and clearing more normally.  There are tons of accupressure videos out there.  My favorite health guru is Dr. Eric Berg and I have found his video on this excellent.  I do other things to help with inflammation but I won't drone on about those now.

Hydrotherapy has been another treatment that I am using every day.  In my case, hot/cold showers with an emphasis on cold showers for as cold and as long as I can handle in any given day.  I can feel the tension melting away after a warm bath or shower and then a long cold stimulating cold shower.  There are a ton of youtubes on hot/cold showers out there and again, Dr. Berg has a couple of enlightening ones on this subject. 

The last big investment in my health has been a PEMF mat.  It is not a very high Gauss mat but it is up to 30 Hz and includes infrared and photon settings.  I know these smaller units are not nearly has healing in a short time as the hospital units but I love mine and find it so relaxing.  I can't say if it's helping to heal my brain but I am sure I am getting some bit of stimulation from using it.  The first three days I used it, it was like I had dosed with a huge hit of valium and I slept hard 10 to 12 hours at night which I had not experienced for years.  I'm not getting that reaction now but I still think it is helping.

Just my thoughts and experience.

Klonkar

Klonkar Your head tension was caused by a rapid or CT withdrawal?. I am doing occipital release with 2 tennis balls behind the base of my skull it does not work, i use a heating pad on my neck and upper back as well as neck stretches and it does not work either. I dont know what to do. How long have you been off the drugs?.

The pressure and squeezing in my head is so intense and strong it disables me, i have trouble walking and staying standing up. Mostly the squeezing is mostly bothersome on the top of the head and the sides (tight band). You have similar distribution?.

Scoobie99:  My HA's started in 2012 when I had been on Clonazepam for 7 years already. I took an antibiotic (a z-pak) and I was definitely floxxed.  I almost died.  I had no idea it was the benzo related until several years later or a reaction between the two drugs.  It got far worse as I was tapering which I did for 7 months.  I was on two mg of C for over 15 years. :tickedoff:  I was positively in tolerance WD mode as well.

I tapered for about 8 months and have been off since May 2019.  The squeezing, like with you, is often debilitating but that has only gotten worse after three heart procedures where I begged the doctors not go give me any GABA agonists or antagonists.  That was hard to accomplish and they ended up using lidocaine, some kind of nasty antihystamine and one other agonist in my IV.  I forgot about the IV protocol but they did knock me out with fentanyl.  With that I didn't sleep for three full days and was in so much pain, I couldn't lye down; and my HA's were worse than with the taper.

I just have one question first?  Do you get any immediate result from doing resistance exercises with you head.  I can push on my right temple with the heel of my hand and that relieves much of that tension instantly.  I agree with you, this is mostly muscle related.  The protocol I go through with my head to keep my muscles loose, would shock you.  I tote around a 30 lb grandson every day while babysitting him.  I massage my whole head and scalp; never restrict my motion even though it's uncomfortable.  I get cranial sacral massages when I can afford them and see a very good chiropractor that keeps my neck in line.  I do dry brushing to keep my lymphatics drained.  I try to eat a low glycemic diet and can sure tell when I have eaten junk food.  Sugar especially...what an evil ingredient for me. 

My distribution is my whole left side of my head and face.  I am a 4th stage cancer survivor and the doctor removed 20 lumph nodes on my left neck from earlobe to clavicle so manual drainage is necessary.  I refused chemo and radiation but am 7 years clear.

I wish I could help Scoobie and am so compassionately sorry you are suffering.  Again, one of the best things I do is the hydrotherapy and I am up to 5 minutes in very cold water showers.  I feel amazingly better after these.

Oh, I also take specific probiotics to restore GABA neurons to my GI track since most doctors agree that 95% of GABA and glutemate are produced in the gut and I am sure the AB's I have taken over the years have taken their toll.  I do think these have contributed to my success at this point in healing from the long term benzo effect. I will never give up, like you, fighting to regain my optimal health.

Take care.

Klonkar

• 8 months later...
Looking for some encouragement! I see no end in sight and don't feel like I will ever escape Klonopin..... my symptoms mainly these days are tension headaches, dizziness and chest wall pain. I constantly feel like I am going to DROP DEAD. its really hard to work. Any suggestions on things some people have done that help. to get through the work day? Propranolol is no longer working for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone find their head pressure is worse after sleeping? I also have an intense fuzzing buzzing sensation in my head. My head pressure is top and right sided. I feel like I'm wearing one of those old rubber swimming hats! A skull cap.

Thank you

Diana