Menstrual Support Group

[e6...]

Yes, if you start googling symptoms, you will go nuts. I made that mistake. Not a good idea.

If something is not right, just talk to your doctor. And if any test is negative, you can chalk it up to yet another withdrawal symptom.....

Which, I found, is almost always..

Well, everyone, I didn't get my period last night, so I was able to finally take my test this morning.

Whoop!

Will post when I have results, kiddo!

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [je...]

• [Ki...]

• [He...]

• [pr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Moo - so glad you could take the test, that's super super  :thumbsup:

Jenny - I'm sorry....that has to be so frustrating for you. Our preconceived ideas of healing times are a detriment to us. I know I'll be in the same boat as you and I'll feel the same way. Are you seeing any improvements since month 8?  :smitten:

Crazi - don't google things....we've all done it and it only ends in paranoia. It is very doubtful that anything is wrong. Try and stay positive  :)

Peace - are you doing ok?  ???

Hi Smiff  :smitten:

Hi Kiddo- I'm in a depressed funk with Jenny. Damn it. I'm only 6.5 months off but thought I'd feel better than this. Things are not terrible. You'd think I could be happy with that, right? I'm alternating between dr and depression. Today it's depression and I'm feeling a little desperate. I see my GP today for yearly checkup and I feel like yelling at her for her part in this mess and also begging her to give me drugs! Couldn't just a little AD do the trick? You're all probably yelling, "No!" But good golly I want this to end already. I feel like I've been so good - exercise everyday, meditate once or twice a day, no sugar, gluten, dairy, corn, go to therapy, accupuncture. What's a girl gotta do?!?

Moo- glad you could take the test. Awesome.

Peace2

Awe Peace  :'( - this stuff really sucks. I don't know what to say a out an AD. I know a lot of people do take one and it helps, but this experience has taught me how sensitive we are to drugs. I had such a hard time reducing my SSRI (mind you it was a cake walk compared to THIS) and it took me a year to cut my dose in half. I got all the same symptoms as benzo withdrawal but the intensity was only a fraction of it. But, with that being said, if that's what you need and you are on one long enough to feel good again and start rebuilding your life and you taper super slow and responsible than obviously it's an option. My recommendation would be to not use Paxil or Effexor. When I was in w/d from Paxil I was part of online forum called Paxil Progress....it was all Paxil and Effexor and typically these two SSRI's are the hardest to get off. I would research BEFORE taking anything to see if you can find any info one which one is the easiest to get off afterwards and maybe only take a really low dose.

Sorry, I'm blubbering....I want you to be happy  :smitten:

Kiddo-- no improvement since month 8, I actually feel much worse.

Moo-- iam so happy you got to take your test! Please let us know the results :)

Peace-- iam feeling exactly the same way. I just got off the phone with my mom and I was basically in tears asking her when is this all gonna end? Of course she doesn't have the answer, but I just feel so frustrated. Big hugs my friend  :smitten:

[e6...]

I would indeed cry DONT!

But I'm not in your shoes.

If it is going to help you, it might be worth it.

But I've been guinea pigged with so many meds that only made me worse. So I'm heavily biased.

Paxil, Zoloft, lexapro. It was pure hell.

For sure do your research...

:smitten:

Moo

Jenny - much worse???? Really? What's worse, the depression or everything? That just breaks my heart....if you don't want to talk about it that's ok, I understand. Just know that I love you and everything says we will heal.  :smitten:

Well, I've now got 3 doctors refusing to give me drugs. Turns out it's not even up to me at the moment. All are in agreement that medications got me into this mess and will not get me out. Back to slogging through. Thanks for your support!

Jenny, with you every step of the way.  :smitten:

Peace2

Peace - although you feel "stuck" at the moment I'm glad yor doctors are finally seeing the light. You are doing EVERYTHING you can to be mentally healthy, it's going to pay off in spades, my dear friend. Hang on  :smitten:

Peace, I am so sorry you aren't farther ahead. I know it's gotta be incredibly hard and frustrating. BUT you have made it this far - you can make it all the way. Just think how far you have come from 6.5 months ago!!

Okay, random question...

Did anyone on here have hormonal problems that led to all this crap in the first place? We really strongly suspect that my hormones have been way off for a while, which is what led to them putting me on the Ativan (great move, right?). But I have been so focused on getting off this junk that I haven't done anything about my crazy hormones.

Is it worthwhile to get tested in post-withdrawal? Or will my whacked out cortisol, etc...just mess with any 'real' diagnosis? I just started my second period in a month. Before all this I was having one day periods. I just want my hormones to do what they were meant to do and be RIGHT - but I am not sure how to go about treating this or if it is even possible right now.  :(

Believing- Thanks for all of your support and the very kind PM you sent me while I was at the ocean. :smitten:

I think you raise a very good question. I think it's possible lots of us have underlying and misdiagnosed conditions, whether it's hormones or low vitamin d. I'm not sure what we find when we test during withdrawal and recovery. I would think the doctor you're working with would have to be very good about taking all things into consideration, especially if adding something that could trigger anxiety or depression. I've heard that supplementing hormones can be tricky. I think it's certainly worth looking into and treading very carefully with the help of a patient doctor. I just gave 3 vials of blood at my checkup to look at a variety of things from thyroid to iron. Who knows? Hopefully, someone better versed than me.  :smitten:

Peace2

[e6...]

Peace, I am so sorry you aren't farther ahead. I know it's gotta be incredibly hard and frustrating. BUT you have made it this far - you can make it all the way. Just think how far you have come from 6.5 months ago!!

Okay, random question...

Did anyone on here have hormonal problems that led to all this crap in the first place? We really strongly suspect that my hormones have been way off for a while, which is what led to them putting me on the Ativan (great move, right?). But I have been so focused on getting off this junk that I haven't done anything about my crazy hormones.

Is it worthwhile to get tested in post-withdrawal? Or will my whacked out cortisol, etc...just mess with any 'real' diagnosis? I just started my second period in a month. Before all this I was having one day periods. I just want my hormones to do what they were meant to do and be RIGHT - but I am not sure how to go about treating this or if it is even possible right now.  :(

I was put on meds after the dye in an MRI messed withmy thryoid. Which gave anxiety like symptoms, so it was assumed I had an anxiety disorder. After seeing many doctors, I came across a endocrinologist who found out more. And my thryoid levels were all over the place.

I do keep doing blood work to make sure my levels don't go out of range TOO much, but the doctors all agree that we can't really find my right level until off benzo's, since they affect everything, pretty much.

Moo

Okay, random question...

Hi believing,

I believe all of my problems stemmed from hormones. I had post pardum depression with both my kids. With my first pregnancy I kept thinking it was just the baby blues so I never talked with anyone about it out of fear that they would think I was crazy. I got pregnant with my 2nd when my first was only 6 months old. After I had my second I was put on xanax, I took it for 6 months and had zero issues coming off of it. I then started developing problems mentally-- looking back it may have been w/d but I never put the pieces together. I then suffered my first miscarriage and was severely depressed I was then put on Valium. Looking back I think all of my problems stemmed from my post pardum depression which was never treated properly. I have wanted to have my hormones tested forever, but I want to wait until I'm healed.

I did get my cortisol and hormones tested during taper and they were all messed up, but since we later found out that the benzo can do crazy things to your hormones, we just figured we would ride out w/d and come back to that later. So, I guess I am wondering....how much later? Should I wait until I am symptom free for a couple months? Or wait a year? I have been super sensitive to all supplements so I am afraid that even if we went now and found out what is going on, I wouldn't be able to take anything to help!

It seems insane to me that with all our modern scientific "knowledge" basic hormonal problems still get written off as 'anxiety' and medicated with these dangerous drugs. It isn't as though hormones are unicorns...they aren't a myth or just something that causes PMS once a month! They control most of our life functions!! Don't any of these doctors know what they are doing?? :tickedoff:

I couldn't agree more! I would wait until your sx  free for a few months. Trust me I really want to get this done, but I just know for me right now its all w/d and the tests would not be accurate. Keep us posted :)

It seems insane to me that with all our modern scientific "knowledge" basic hormonal problems still get written off as 'anxiety' and medicated with these dangerous drugs. It isn't as though hormones are unicorns...they aren't a myth or just something that causes PMS once a month! They control most of our life functions!! Don't any of these doctors know what they are doing?? :tickedoff:

I saw a female doctor give a TED talk about this and she said as patients women must always ask questions related to conditions/ treatment and gender, ie- I'm anxious, could this be my hormones?

I love your quote- It isn't as those hormones are unicorns...." I'm going to use that line at the doctors at some point.  :thumbsup:

[e6...]

I wonder the same thing..... If it IS my hormones, then what?

Because the levels can change in a heart beat again on benzo's.

So now wy to straighten it out fully , I'm afraid, until this stuff is done...

I guess..

Hi all,

Thought I'd join in on the conversation!

I used 0.25mg xanax PRN for two years. I experienced rebound panic/anxiety and interdose symptoms after the first couple pills, although I didn't know it at the time. I spent the next two and a half years using it as needed, and was experiencing symptoms the entire time without knowing it. The second year's tolerance and interdose symptoms were tough -- lots of nausea, loss of appetite and weight, and some depression, among a few others. After nine months of extensive testing and a variety of doctors, by the grace of God we discovered that the benzo was the problem. Very shortly after that, I stabilized at 0.25mg per day and started my taper 3-4 weeks after.

The following month after my taper started, I skipped an entire month of my period. Since then, my cycle has changed from how it was pre-benzos. It used to be monthly, +-1 or 2 days from the previous month (29-31 days long). Prior to benzos, I had few symptoms regarding my period -- my breasts would swell (which was kinda fun for an A-cupper!), and I would be modestly irritable for a couple days, and that was it. Now-a-days, my cycle runs 35-42 days in length (every 1.5 months or so). I get some mild bloating and/or cramping on the side I'm ovulating from when I ovulate. The week before I menstruate, I can also sometimes feel warmer than usual, and it feels like my heartrate slightly nudges up a teensy bit. My breasts may or may not feel a bit tender during the week before also. 1-3 days before I begin menstruation, anxiety and/or panic and/or fear can elevate, and has sometimes lasted through to the end of my period.

Has any of the rest of you had similar experiences? I am glad to have a place to share like experiences :) Thank you for having me here with you all, and I hope you are having a great rest of the evening :) Take care all,

Mrs. :smitten:

Hi Mrs! Welcome :) I think you sx  sound very typical for benzo w/d. My sx  definitely flare up right before my period and the week during. I get lots of irritability, cramps, depression, anxiety and all my w/d sx  seem to flare up. So glad you could join us, all the ladies here are wonderful. I noticed you joined the 6-12 month thread too, but I haven't had a chance to say hi yet, looking forward to talking to you more. Jenny :)

I could be off but I think its around day 9-12 from the first day of your last period. Hopefully others will chime in here.

[e6...]

When does ovulation occur, typically? How many weeks before period?

Thanks,

Peace2

Tracking Ovulation:

A woman’s monthly cycle is measured from the first day of her menstrual period until the first day of her next period. On average, a woman’s cycle normally is between 28-32 days, but some women may have much shorter or much longer cycles.

Ovulation can be calculated by starting with the first day of the last menstrual period (LMP) or by calculating 12-16 days from the next expected period.  Most women ovulate anywhere between Day 11 – Day 21 of their cycle, counting from the first day of the LMP.

Ovulation can occur at various times during a cycle, and may occur on a different day each month.

Moo

Thank you Moo and Jenny. My cycle is somewhere between 6 and 8 weeks long, so figuring out my ovulation date is probably a shot in the dark. Oh well, wondering if ovulating could be causing my depression today.

Responding to questions about when to get hormones tested

I waited a year after stopping benzos then did hormone testing and

found progesterone was extremely low so started replacement that

is helpful will continue with further replacement when needed

you can be progesterone deficient starting as early as your thirties

[e6...]

Thank you Moo and Jenny. My cycle is somewhere between 6 and 8 weeks long, so figuring out my ovulation date is probably a shot in the dark. Oh well, wondering if ovulating could be causing my depression today.

It can very well be... I know I get seriously dark some days . And I can feel ovulation. So I know it's got to do with it. Get slammed during ovulation for some time and then with the period again.

Sorry it is so tough right now... :-\

Hope you get some relief soon,

Moo

[26...]