Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Example of a Valium/Diazepam Daily Reduction Method

[Di...]

Yes you've got the hang of it. However, if you are on 3mg per day, I would suggest not going over a 1.5ml per day cut initially (which is 0.015mg). That will take 66 days to reduce 1mg. Maybe you could try 2ml per day, but I really don't think I'd like to be cutting more than that. When I was on 5mg I was only cutting between 2ml and 2.5ml per day.

You can always increase it as you go if you feel you can, but you really don't want to get too ambitious to start with because then you might only have to end up holding anyway.

thanks Again,

Im planning to taper when im stabilise cause Im on antibiotic this time due to UTI, so I hold on to my 3mg Diazepanm at the moment.

Can you help me to PLan Please, i will be using Liquid Diazepam suspension 2mg/5ml

So i need to dilute 2.5ml LD to 97.5 water to make 100ml solution

That’s correct.

then discard 3.5ml everyday if I choose to withraw 1mg every 28 day

Yes, that’s right, but I’ll offer a word of caution about trying to do it that fast. If you are on 3mg, try not to go over 1.5ml to 2ml per day. See how you go with that, because I suspect cutting 3.5ml per day will be too much for you.

when i go down to 2mg D-- ineed to discard 2.5ml daily

at 1mg D--------------------how much i need to discard daily? is 2ml ok? 

You have to remember that there are no set formulas to this. You have to be the one to decide how much to cut every day. I can tell you what I cut, but that might be totally different to what you need to cut. I can also only give you estimates because I would often change my cut amount on a daily basis, depending on how I felt, but this is roughly what I cut….

Under 5mg – approx 2ml to 2.5ml per day

Under 4mg – approx 1.5ml to 2ml per day

Under 3mg – approx 1.5ml per day

Under 2mg – approx 1.2ml to 1.5ml per day

Under 1mg – approx 0.5ml to 1ml per day

and how many days i can keep the mix solution coz if going half way i dont need to throw the solution, i can use it next day.

Whatever you don’t use of the mixture you’ve made up can be kept for your next dose. Everyone is different, but I had a personal rule to not keep anything longer than about 4-5 days in case there was some loss of potency. In most cases you will use up a batch within that time anyway.

When you are getting to the point where you are only using a very small amount of the batch everyday you can make smaller batches. Liquid valium is very handy for that. For example, instead of using 2.5ml with 97.5ml of water to make the 100ml, you could put 1.25ml LV with 48.75ml of water to make up 50ml.

another question--Can i use just water to mix for the liquid Diazepam to make the 100 solution?

Yes

Im not good in math as well and my brain this time not really ok.... so i need help especially the decimamal point and converting to decimal point.

Just remember the following……

When converting from mg to 100ml, multiply by 100.

When converting from 100ml back to mg, divide by 100.

(example)

0.03mg x 100 = 3ml

3ml ÷ 100 = 0.03mg

3MG dIAZEPAM =  1MG AM  ===2MG NIGHT PLEASE HELP ME PLAN how to do it ....Im begging to anyone who can draw my plan

coz im not yet familiar oon Micro daily tapering. ineed help to take out this meds in my system. it causing me delay and stop working at the moment i couldnt bear the S/x  i have a child who needs support.

waiting for your helping hands.

MCM

If it helps, use the amounts I cut as an example to start you off (as I posted above). Once you try out a cut, and it feels okay, keep with it, but adjust it if you feel your symptoms are ramping up. 

I’ll suggest you start out making a cut of 1.5ml per day. See how that feels. If you feel you can increase it after a little while that's great, and that's better than finding it's too much and then having to hold.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Di...]

• [bu...]

• [me...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all for all your reply about Daily microtapering!!!

I want o make signature but im not really goood in computer, i dont know how to do it.  Please help.

Sorry if i have so much this time, i was in tolerance before tapering thats the reason i suffered so much with s/x.

thanks. mcmc

Hi every one, I ordered my tools for liquid tapering today.  i will have them in few days so i have time to plan my taper.

Im on 3mg Diazepam now and planning to do daily microtaper to reduce my symptoms.

Can I use liquid Diazepam in my a.m dose- that Im tapering slowly and use diazepam tablet in my evening dose. I already ask my GP to change my prescription.

is that possible to use the combination of Liquid Diazepam and tablet form?

thanks. mcm

Sorry, I posted in a long, lost thread and I don't know if anyone will see my question. So here goes:

Hello,

I am a recovering alcoholic with a number of years of sobriety under my belt. No cravings for it either. Is there much alcohol in liquid valium?  Enough to set me off?

Also, my pharmacist said she had to order my liquid diazepam, but also said it is a 5mg = 1ml mixture. I haven't come across that ratio yet on these boards. Could she be wrong about that? If she is right about that, should I just add .2ml of liquid Diaz to 99.8ml of water to hit my 1ml = 1 mg ratio?

P.S. I think water is okay with liquid Diaz (no need for whole milk), correct?

Thanks,

Edzo

Sorry, I posted in a long, lost thread and I don't know if anyone will see my question. So here goes:

Hello,

I am a recovering alcoholic with a number of years of sobriety under my belt. No cravings for it either. Is there much alcohol in liquid valium?  Enough to set me off?

Also, my pharmacist said she had to order my liquid diazepam, but also said it is a 5mg = 1ml mixture. I haven't come across that ratio yet on these boards. Could she be wrong about that? If she is right about that, should I just add .2ml of liquid Diaz to 99.8ml of water to hit my 1ml = 1 mg ratio?

P.S. I think water is okay with liquid Diaz (no need for whole milk), correct?

Thanks,

Edzo

The 5mg=1ml is the Diazepam  Intensol concentrate...that's not what you want.  It is an alcohol-based solution.  Tell your doc you want Roxane Diazepam Oral Solution, 5mg=5ml.  This is a more dilute, PG based liquid that is much more suitable for tapering.

I started today my liquid diazepam with combination of the pill at evening dose. So I will start my daily reduction Tom. I think I will start to reduce 2.5ml per day and see how it goes.  Do I need to shake the diluted liquid diazepam before widthrawing the daily reduction or just use spoon to stir before taking out solution to be reduced.  I'm asking now early before I will get it wrong.  Thanks, Mcm

Thanks D-Pam!  However, is the PG not alcohol? Or is it a different type of alcohol that won't set off my alcoholic system?

Thanks,

Edzo8

Propylene glycol is NOT alcohol!

Thanks D-Pam!  However, is the PG not alcohol? Or is it a different type of alcohol that won't set off my alcoholic system?

Thanks

Edzo

As I posted above, if you are using the 5mg=1ml product, that is Diazepam Intensol.  It is concentrated liquid V with 19% alcohol.  The 5mg=1ml Intensol is NOT a glycol based solution.

I'm going to post this in a coupla valium daily/MT type threads, in the hope of finding out if anyone in Ontario, Canada (eh!) is tapering with liquid valium. My nice, independent pharmacist told me today that he can compound an appropriate solution, but say, 'Roxane' or ?? liquid valium products aren't available in Ontario.

I trust the guy, but BB always seems to have the most accurate answers, so anyone know? I'm preparing to embark on a daily/MT, and am prepared to use the compound or even milk if necessary, but would like to know what my options are for sure. From my reading on here, the U.S. and Australia have liquid pharm valium, but not :o Canada?? Thanks for any help :thumbsup:!

p.s. you folks are alas (well, maybe not for you, re: snow/cold!) in Canada, but huge thanks again to Diaz-Pam and builder etc. for all your great support and info  :thumbsup: D-Pam, I'm now up to page 33 of this thread, in terms of reading it carefully as opposed to skimming; in prep for my daily/MT, I'm getting organized, and am hoping not to have to ask too many?? unnecessary questions ::).

Thanks,

Edzo8

Propylene glycol is NOT alcohol!

Hi Builder,

I called my PDoc today and voiced my concerns. He was very receptive and managed to write a script for Precision Dose Diazepam Oral Solution. This is a 5ml=5mg ration.

I looked up the ingredients and sure enough, Propylene Glycol is in there -- which you have confirmed is NOT alcohol.

However, Polyethylene glycol is also among the ingredients--is this also NOT an alcohol?

The bummer is that the Intensol, which I can't use due to the alcohol, is covered by my insurance and costs $20.

The 5mg - 5ml solution is NOT covered and costs $70 for a lousy 30ml bottle. Stupid insurance.  :tickedoff:

Thanks so much,

Ed

Hi Daz and everyone here!!  i started yesterday my LIQUID dIAZEPAMwith combination of pill--is this safe

So I dink yesterday my a.m dose (1mg) 100ml LD solution ------2mg pill evening dose

Today i drink  97.5ml solution a.m dose----started my  Daily reduction Method.

question: i only use water to mix with my Liquid diazepam----is this ok.  will I stir or just shake to mix?

can i make solution a night before? is it nedede to keep in fridge or just keep in the safe and dry place.

please give me your insight to enlighten me.

thanks in advace. MCM

Thanks

Edzo

As I posted above, if you are using the 5mg=1ml product, that is Diazepam Intensol.  It is concentrated liquid V with 19% alcohol.  The 5mg=1ml Intensol is NOT a glycol based solution.

Actually it is both, and also contains PEG.  I suspect this product would work well with water dilution, just like the 5/5 Oral Solution.  19% alcohol, when diluted down, would be minor.  19 parts alcohol per 5mg is less than 4 parts per mg...not much.  I'd think it would end up being quite similar to the 5/5 when all is said and done.

"The 5 mg/mL IntensolTM Oral Solution (Concentrate) contains alcohol, D&C Yellow No. 10, polyethylene glycol, propylene glycol, succinic acid, and water."

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=1AAF9375-AE3D-4FED-9CD1-24102E00BE1A

Hi Builder, I used the Liquid Diazepam oral suspension 2mg/5ml---in my am dose Daily Reduction ---and take my Diazepam pill in 2mg in my evening dose.  just want to clarify..

2.5ml Liquid Diazepam+97.5ml water=100ml solution-- thats the formula that I used based on Daz Pam's thread.

please correct me if im not right, maybe im confused.

thanks, mcm

Hi Builder, I used the Liquid Diazepam oral suspension 2mg/5ml---in my am dose Daily Reduction ---and take my Diazepam pill in 2mg in my evening dose.  just want to clarify..

2.5ml Liquid Diazepam+97.5ml water=100ml solution-- thats the formula that I used based on Daz Pam's thread.

please correct me if im not right, maybe im confused.

thanks, mcm

Yes, 2.5+97.5 does equal 100.  And that will give you a solution with .01mg in each ml.

just another question, can i make the solution using liquid diazepam oral solution early.  do I need to keep in the fridge and how long I can keep the solution?

And i can only use water to mix, am I right?

just another question, can i make the solution using liquid diazepam oral solution early.  do I need to keep in the fridge and how long I can keep the solution?

And i can only use water to mix, am I right?

Again from the mfgr's label:  "Store at 25c (77f). excursions to 15c to 30c (59f to 78f)". 

Room temp, do NOT refrigerate!

Yes, water is fine, probably the best choice...no added sugar or potential unwanted reactions.

Quit worrying, this really is no big deal!  :)

FWIW, when I prepared my dilute Diazepam Oral Solution, I typically made a 10-14 day batch.  I stored it on the countertop, covered with a Solo cup.

FWIW, when I prepared my dilute Diazepam Oral Solution, I typically made a 10-14 day batch.  I stored it on the countertop, covered with a Solo cup.

So I can prepare my dillute diazepam oral solution for few days using big jar to store, thats good news to.  is the efficacy will be the same just in case it lost the efficacy when dilluted early. But its more handy to make a batch.  So everytime I need to take solution from the jar I just need to shake to make sure all the mixture are mixing properly.  or just stir it with spoon? what is the best way to mix.

Thanks!! Everyday I learn more about MT.

MCM

So I can prepare my dillute diazepam oral solution for few days using big jar to store, thats good news to.  is the efficacy will be the same just in case it lost the efficacy when dilluted early. But its more handy to make a batch.  So everytime I need to take solution from the jar I just need to shake to make sure all the mixture are mixing properly.  or just stir it with spoon? what is the best way to mix.

Thanks!! Everyday I learn more about MT.

MCM

Yes, you can make a dilute batch to last several days, even a couple of weeks.  Store it in a glass container protected from light at room temp.  It will not degrade or lose potency.  It really isn't necessary to stir or shake, but it certainly won't hurt.  (I always did :) )

I posted (in a few places on BB  ::)) a couple of days ago after I was told by an independent pharmacist I was hoping to work with that liquid valium just isn't available in Ontario, Canada. Another member in Ontario was good enough  :thumbsup: to let me know they'd been able to find LV; I did some more phoning and research, and it turns out LV is not that difficult to find here.

Perhaps the pharmacist I first spoke to was unable to order LV (he said he could do a compound), but that was misleading, for sure. Trust BB to get it right  :). I don't mind the idea of using milk or vodka for a daily/MT, but I'd like to start with the LV and hope it agrees with me. As we taperers by any method learn, there ain't no guarantees and we all have to learn by being our own lil' guinea pigs-but it's nice to know I have the LV option.

Hope my experience on here may help other people in Canada or Ontario specifically who are considering using LV.