Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Example of a Valium/Diazepam Daily Reduction Method

[Di...]

I thought it sounded a bit weird that Canada wouldn't have LV. Every other country I've come across on BB has it - USA, Australia, UK, NZ etc.

I must say I'm afraid I have a general suspicion of a lot of compounding pharmacists, after knowing the how much they can mislead women with hormone therapy.

That's not to say that all compounders are like that, because I know there are a number of BBers who use them quite successfully, but it could be a case of why would he want to sell you something that a pharma company has made when he can make it himself (which will no doubt be a lot more expensive) and make a much larger profit margin on. However, I do have a cynical nature..lol...

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Di...]

• [bu...]

• [me...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to contribute to the wee kerfuffle :( over on the Diazepam support thread (and thus give it more credence), but since I can't PM D-Pam, just wanted to say I cringed a bit when I saw the rather heated words. Must confess I'm a secular humanist (great if other people feel they can draw on a higher power-'all the more power' 8)). Hope everyone has calmed down--and that you keep on spreading your positive info/encouragement, icon of daily tapering :thumbsup:. We needs ya!

Hi Bab

You can always PM me, but I just can't give tapering advice - against the BB rules and all that. :)

The only comment I'm going to make is that there has been a long history of tapering struggles there, which a lot of the people on the valium thread wouldn't know about because they haven't been here long enough. So all I ever tried to do was get her to try to have a different perspective on things, because what she has been doing has never worked for her. Sadly I often keep trying to help people even when my help isn't helping. The whole thing has been totally taken out of context and everyone needs to move on, but the valium thread can move on without me. I'm done with it. I don't need nor want those kinds of dramatics in my life.

Hi Everyone, I'm just wondering if milk with 3.5g of fat is okay to titrate with my diazepam tablet?  i went to the supermarket and all milk full fat here where I live have the standard of 3.5g fat only in every milk.  I've check online and only 3.5g fat only.  I want to try milk to make my liquid tapering but I couldnt find 8g fat milk. 

is 3.5g fat not working?  Please help.  at the moment I'm using liquid diazepam BP oral solution 2mg/5ml for my MT, but i want to consider soon and try the milk but not available in my place.

thanks, MCM

Hi Everyone, I'm just wondering if milk with 3.5g of fat is okay to titrate with my diazepam tablet?  i went to the supermarket and all milk full fat here where I live have the standard of 3.5g fat only in every milk.  I've check online and only 3.5g fat only.  I want to try milk to make my liquid tapering but I couldnt find 8g fat milk. 

is 3.5g fat not working?  Please help.  at the moment I'm using liquid diazepam BP oral solution 2mg/5ml for my MT, but i want to consider soon and try the milk but not available in my place.

thanks, MCM

The 8g is a measure of the weight of fat contained in 1 cup of milk.  The 3.5 is not "grams", it is the percentage of fat in the milk.  3.5% milk contains 8g fat per cup.  Your 3.5% fat milk is "full fat" milk, and will work just fine for dissolving your diazepam.

I am currently on 4mgs of V tablet form and I was thinking of switching to liquid now so that when I taper it will be easier? Any advice on this would be helpful. 

I am currently on 4mgs of V tablet form and I was thinking of switching to liquid now so that when I taper it will be easier? Any advice on this would be helpful.

Yes, it will almost certainly be easier, and it really isn't difficult.  What kind of advice do you need?

If your doc will give you a scrip for liquid V, that's probably the easiest, most reliable alternative, but there are other alternatives tha work very well.

I think my ND may go thru a compounding pharmacy for the V.  I am not sure if that is a good thing or not.  Also I read somewhere that liquid V causes stomach upset?  I am trying to stabilize on 4 mg of V after coming off xanax and it has be extremely tough, and I am not there yet. It has been 1 week and still not stabilized.....very tough.... :'(

I think my ND may go thru a compounding pharmacy for the V.  I am not sure if that is a good thing or not.  Also I read somewhere that liquid V causes stomach upset?  I am trying to stabilize on 4 mg of V after coming off xanax and it has be extremely tough, and I am not there yet. It has been 1 week and still not stabilized.....very tough.... :'(

Statements that start with "I heard..." are usually wrong.  ::)

1)  Compounded liquid is not the same as Rx liquid.  Compounded liquid is usually made with a fatty solvent like almond oil or a suspension agent like OraPlus.  Neither of those products contain anything likely to cause any gastric problems. 

2) Rx liquid usually is dissolved with glycol, which in large quantities can cause some digestive irritation.  But you will never need to take more than 1ml, so its pretty unlikely to actually cause any problem.

My stomach, which isn't great to begin with, had a very rough time on liquid from the pharmacy. I had the 5ml = 5mg solution without alcohol.  One dose was all it took for my system to know it was a no go.  Quickly learned about creating a solution from whole milk from a couple of gracious members here and my stomach is much better for it.  Not saying I am symptom free, but I can say that the milk method is MUCH easier on my stomach.

However, many have had no stomach problems using the pharmacy liquid V (Diaz). Gotta just give it a shot and see how you respond.

All the best to you,

Edzo

Thanks Builder and Edzo8,

I think i will go with the liquid from the compounding pharmacy. Hopefully my ND will be on board with that.  The first time I came off of Xanax I did it cold turkey, which was a REALLY bad idea.  This time, and believe me this is the last time, I want to do it the right way and hopefully I won't have the horrible symptoms I had after the cold turkey.

As soon as I stabilize on the V  (really tough with the nausea and anxiousness) I hope to pick your brains on the tapering.  I think its brain fog right now but it seems so complicated :-\  But there are such smart people on here (way smarter than the doctors I've been to) and I hope if I have dumb questions you can help. Thank you so much  :smitten:

Thanks Builder and Edzo8,

I think i will go with the liquid from the compounding pharmacy. Hopefully my ND will be on board with that.  The first time I came off of Xanax I did it cold turkey, which was a REALLY bad idea.  This time, and believe me this is the last time, I want to do it the right way and hopefully I won't have the horrible symptoms I had after the cold turkey.

As soon as I stabilize on the V  (really tough with the nausea and anxiousness) I hope to pick your brains on the tapering.  I think its brain fog right now but it seems so complicated :-\  But there are such smart people on here (way smarter than the doctors I've been to) and I hope if I have dumb questions you can help. Thank you so much  :smitten:

I'm new to this forum as well. In fact, the only reason that I sought it out was because I hit a wall in my tapering progress.  The first 2 1/2 months were super easy, but the last month has been quite a challenge. It's great to have a group of people with which to share our experiences. Maybe when you find time, you can create a signature at the bottom of your page so we can all compare and gain inspiration from you as time goes by and updates are added.  I can tell you that as a newbie, I love following the signatures of the elder Buddies in order to see tangible proof that this CAN be done!

Yes, I'd like to do a signature but I don't know how.. Must be this damn brain fog. It must be on the profile page?

Near the top of the page, you'll see this (but in a straight horizontal line instead of vertical):

Home

Help

Search

Helpdesk [1]

My Messages

Members

Logout

*Hover over Profile

*Click on Forum Profile

* A couple of inches down, you'll see "Signature" with a box next to it

* Add your data in the text box to the right of "Signature" and just Save the info

*Presto!

Nice job! Eventually you'll have to truncate sentences and abridge things due to the 750 character limit, but looks good for now. I also started a daily/every other day progress log in another section of the boards to remind myself of how I was feeling and reacting to different stimuli over a period of time. It's nice to be able to look at that when caught up in Benzo brain.

Hello All,

Things have settled down a bit since my system worked it's way through two ill advised .1g cuts on consecutive days. There was a "tape delay" of about 72 hours and then after about 36 hours, I reverted closer to baseline.

Just a couple of questions:

I currently use the milk titration method for a daily Diaz taper plan.  It has been suggested that unused portions can be stored in the fridge for a few days and not lose their potency. However:

1)My pills state that they are to be stored at 20-25c (68to77F).  Wouldn't the fact that the fridge holding the milk +Diaz potion is under 40F affect the potency? This is a significant deviation from recommended storage temps.

On a separate note, I may have to take a trip to a place where I'm not guaranteed to have a fridge. The trip would last about 7 days. 

2) Is it better to just hold for a full week at the 6mg dosage I plan to reach just prior to the trip?

3) Or should I get a jewelers scale and continue to taper by shaving pills? If I did shave pills, should that cause a problem after I return to milk + Diaz after a week?

Many thanks,

Edzo

P.S. I'm also going to post this in the Val/Diaz thread because it seems that thread gets a bit more action.

1) Your milk solution will be fine for a few days in the 'fridge.

Is there any science behind this? Has a chemist or pharmacist verified this?  Or is this something you've learned from your own experience?  For how many days will the Diaz retain its full potency?

2)  When I travelled, I just held at an even tablet dose.

Yes, I think this may be easiest.

Thank you, as always, for your answers.

Gratefully,

Edzo

Just FYI, Diazepam is an extraordinarliy stable compound.  Its shelf life is 5-6 years.  Dissolving it in a liquid does not alter its basic chemistry, it oly changes it from a dry solid to a liquid.

FWIW, the the mfgr's shelf life for Diazepam Oral Solution is 3 years.  And I actually finished the last 6mos of my taper with liquid that was beyond the 3 year expiration date.  (and I had no problems)

Just FYI, Diazepam is an extraordinarliy stable compound.  Its shelf life is 5-6 years.  Dissolving it in a liquid does not alter its basic chemistry, it oly changes it from a dry solid to a liquid.

FWIW, the the mfgr's shelf life for Diazepam Oral Solution is 3 years.  And I actually finished the last 6mos of my taper with liquid that was beyond the 3 year expiration date.  (and I had no problems)

Oh yes, I've read about the long shelf life of the drug. My concern is how long the shelf life and stability will last when stored a temperature well below the recommended temperature for a few days.

Oh yes, I've read about the long shelf life of the drug. My concern is how long the shelf life and stability will last when stored a temperature well below the recommended temperature for a few days.

Short term storage at other than ideal conditions will have no significant effect.

Short term storage at other than ideal conditions will have no significant effect.

Appreciated. Thank you.

I'm trying to get organized for a Valium pill to combo of pill/liquid for a daily/MT (just getting over a miserable cold/sinus infection, ugh, so hope to begin in a week or so-ish). Some of you may have seen my appeal on here a week or so ago asking if liquid v was available in Canada; I'd been told it wasn't by a pharmacist, but in fact it is ::). So got that sorted.

Haven't seen my doc yet, but he'll likely?! be okay with giving me an LV scrip. Assuming he does, and I have the choice of using milk, vodka, or LV I thought I'd take a poll re: what people with experience have preferred. I know we're all sooo different I'll just have to be my own guinea pig-oink 8)-as usual, but still curious to know what may work for more people, anyway.

I'm sure builder and SG57 in particular are tired of reassuring newbie MT folks that "it's not complicated!" etc., but I've heard enough people say the LV really bugged their stomach to want to find out more. Does it really happen that much? If folks do have a stomach challenge causing them to switch to milk/vodka, is there any common explanation?

I.E. do most members take LV on an empty stomach, or with food? I'd like to try LV since it's slightly? more simple than mixing a pill in liquid myself, but would really not like to have to switch after having a problem ???. If anyone has any comments, that would be great and most appreciated! I'd really like to be a member of the daily/MT club with as little fuss/sxs as possible ::)!!

p.s. sorry  ::)re: multiple post of this-just trying to get as much feedback as possible!