Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

Hey dee! I’m so glad u found a great dr that hears you. I think that’s the hardest part is not being heard. I fully intend to not go back to her after I finish up with Valium. Never again. I know I’m not the only person who has been thru this and not the last. Wow that is such a restricted diet how are u going with that? I found it so hard I did it for a few months then when I didn’t feel a change I stopped, but this was during tolerance wd so perhaps if ur feeling better I’ll give it another shot xx

Yes Shayna, I think I'm starting to feel a bit more stable on a day to day basis.  The first week I didn't feel much different, and sort of strayed away, but then gave it another try because I had the gluten free products and they are so expensive! Well about another week into it I actually felt more stable enough to notice that a couple hours after my afternoon Chamomile tea I would get this fibro-pain flair in my symptoms.  Then in the middle of the night I'd get it again and I connected it to a rebound from the Chamo tea.  I then slowly over a week withdrew the tea and that really has made a difference I think. (OR of course the whole thing is a huge coincidence, IDK).

Last night I had gluten free pasta with a delicious turkey bolognese sauce that my husband makes.  I thought why not - he worked so hard on it.  But sure enough I had a very restless night and didn't fall asleep until 2am.  I think the tomato sauce portion got me (histamine!)....

I REALLY miss my tea routine.  Only drinking hot water with honey, but it's not the same  :tickedoff:

Are you feeling more stable Shayna?

Ha Ladyden, luckily in the evening I felt better. Also after I took a shower. Tomorrow I have a meeting in the centre of my town, so I hope I feel better tomorrow. This evening our national football team played against Bosnia Herzogovina and won with 3-1. I watched it together with my father. I like to watch art related tv programs. On sunday a program with classical music, in the evening an art competition called Project Rembrandt. On saturday an art portrait competition program. Xmas is different this year, because my mother died last july. So I wonder how these special days will be. I am single child, so we will be with the two of us. How are these days for you? What kind of tv do you watch? I also wonder.. Was it hard for you to taper Ambien?  :thumbsup: Jerry

Jerry firstly I'd like to extend my condolences on the passing of your mother last July. Unfortunately I know what that's like. My mother(s) are passed as well. Holidays are my toughest and this month especially because it's her birthday in a couple of days. She loved thanksgivings and Xmas. I'm happy that you have your dad. I'm sure you both treasure each other. I also love the art shows and I visit museums from around the world on YouTube. You can even visit zoos with live feeds. Currently I've just finished a series on Netflix entitled call the midwife. With you being a guy I don't think you'd enjoy it. But I have watched Lucifer, Sneaky Pete, Marvelous Mrs Maisel just to name a few. Also I love the old sitcoms like Sanford & son, who's the boss, full house, good times, different strokes, Cosby show, facts of life, knight rider, murder she wrote, big valley, gunsmoke, etc.

My days are waves and windows as expected. My boatiness is less but has been replaced with pulling sensation. I've been walking around more often and getting sun. I get up each day with the idea of performing a small normal task while standing or sitting. Some days it's successful.

Actually Ambien wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to taper. Matter of fact, it was the easiest part of this whole ordeal. I think because I did much research and found this forum before I started helped me to taper easily as well as first try success. But I can't not mention that I have a wonderful Doctor that was understanding, open minded, supportive and checked my progress every 2 weeks. I'm blessed to have such a caring doctor. It's very important for patient and Doctor to work together to take on such a difficult task of getting off benzodiazepines or Z-drug. As we all on here know how tough the journey is. I'm so proud of us all.

Hi Team Z - Just catching up on all the posts and Shayna I am SO SORRY you had to go through that with your Dr!!  It is unfathomable that in addition to the horror of this experience of withdrawal some of us have to deal with Drs who disbelieve what is really going on as if we don't know best what is happening to us.  LadyDen is right - they can't see themselves as having any culpability with the horrors of these drugs.  I hope you find a new Dr that is more open to these issues.  I left my old Dr. because she never looked me in the eyes when she spoke to me.  And it was my new Dr. who figured out what was wrong, so this may be an opportunity for you to find a better medical advocate. 

I'm hoping all of you are getting some relief in your recovery.  I have kept up with the gluten/dairy/histamine-free diet and now staying away from any Chamomile tea.  I figured out that at this point in my recovery it is actually giving me rebound symptoms hours after I have the tea.  It never did before, but maybe this means there are changes going on in my receptors.  :crazy:

That's very wise Deanna. Dr Ashton warned us about chamomile tea because it acts on GABA receptors. It might be ok to drink at first then one day BOOM! Just before my taper began, I noticed it made me very sick a few hours after drinking it. I tried it again once my taper started and BOOM! I ended up very close going to hospital. It's best to let yourself heal for a good 9-12 months before you try it again.

Hey Shay! I'm hoping you're still stable. I was able to eat whatever I wanted at first. As I tapered I noticed if I ate spaghetti or lasagna I would feel terrible an hour or so later. So I had to make sure I only ate a little sauce or none. Also milk products did the same. So I drink only almond milk and non dairy creamer in my decaf coffee. I was eating mostly turkey, tuna and chicken. The turkey seemed to bother me sometimes. I'm not exactly sure but just as precaution, I no longer eat turkey burger or roast turkey sandwich. Since I've stopped for awhile, I haven't noticed much difference. What I think happened is I got groceries online and the turkey burger I normally buy were sold out. So I allowed a substitute. That brand must of had msg seasonings. To test this, I'll buy my normal brand and eat a half. Dr Ashton said don't make a big fuss about our diets unless we discover something that's definitely connected to making us feel worse. I agree with Deanna that some of these reactions may be coincidence because we were starting a wave. But some are obviously reactions.

Yes Shayna, I think I'm starting to feel a bit more stable on a day to day basis.  The first week I didn't feel much different, and sort of strayed away, but then gave it another try because I had the gluten free products and they are so expensive! Well about another week into it I actually felt more stable enough to notice that a couple hours after my afternoon Chamomile tea I would get this fibro-pain flair in my symptoms.  Then in the middle of the night I'd get it again and I connected it to a rebound from the Chamo tea.  I then slowly over a week withdrew the tea and that really has made a difference I think. (OR of course the whole thing is a huge coincidence, IDK).

Last night I had gluten free pasta with a delicious turkey bolognese sauce that my husband makes.  I thought why not - he worked so hard on it.  But sure enough I had a very restless night and didn't fall asleep until 2am.  I think the tomato sauce portion got me (histamine!)....

I REALLY miss my tea routine.  Only drinking hot water with honey, but it's not the same  :tickedoff:

Are you feeling more stable Shayna?

Wow seems like u are very sensitive now dee, great that u are able to pick up on it. Most of the time I never know my triggers. For instance I can eat a magnum (almond dairy free) and I will usually get a few hrs sleep, when I don’t have one I have a zero night. So that makes me wonder if I have blood sugar issues. I have a chamo tea or sleepy tea before bed some nights but not always. I kept a food journal for months snd months and was unable to find a trend.

No I’m not really stable at all. No sleep again last night. I was hoping after 2 good nights things might be evening out but no they aren’t really. So frustrating. Xx

Hey Shay! I'm hoping you're still stable. I was able to eat whatever I wanted at first. As I tapered I noticed if I ate spaghetti or lasagna I would feel terrible an hour or so later. So I had to make sure I only ate a little sauce or none. Also milk products did the same. So I drink only almond milk and non dairy creamer in my decaf coffee. I was eating mostly turkey, tuna and chicken. The turkey seemed to bother me sometimes. I'm not exactly sure but just as precaution, I no longer eat turkey burger or roast turkey sandwich. Since I've stopped for awhile, I haven't noticed much difference. What I think happened is I got groceries online and the turkey burger I normally buy were sold out. So I allowed a substitute. That brand must of had msg seasonings. To test this, I'll buy my normal brand and eat a half. Dr Ashton said don't make a big fuss about our diets unless we discover something that's definitely connected to making us feel worse. I agree with Deanna that some of these reactions may be coincidence because we were starting a wave. But some are obviously reactions.

I was really restrictive for the first year, but was so medded up I don’t know if it really helped. I think I will try again. I do notice I can’t tolerate soy. Which is kind of a big deal since I’m vegetarian. So I don’t eat and dairy or drink milk only rice milk. I don’t eat much gluten maybe 1 slice of grain toast. Mostly I eat veggies and salad, eggs and salmon.  So my diet is pretty clean except for almond magnums and potato chips.., my faves. I also love drinking cups of tea. 3 a day but not after 2pm

It’s hard to pin point I agree that’s what I found so upsetting at times. I’d say to my husband I did everything right I don’t understand. So I think for me it’s not so much food just the nature of my wd. But I still think as I get low might be worth trying again, might notice more of a change now.

Yes I just eat clean too. It's so hard to pinpoint. I'm eating clean just so I know it's not my food making it worse. It's just simple withdrawal cycling around. Popping in and out. Unpredictable intensity of waves and windows. But one thing for sure is the waves come no matter what.

I think I might be reacting negatively on chocolat, the next day after a dark chocolat rich dessert at saturday night ago at my friends place, I had a really tough day. I also brought a part of this dessert to my home and ate it the next day. I am not 100% sure, but today I had no chocolat and am curious how I feel tomorrow. Others in the z-team with the same experience?

Jerry

Yes Jerry. Some react to chocolate because of the caffeine content. Chocolate has antioxidants but it's also a stimulant. Anything that's a stimulant will most likely cause a reaction. You might have to lay off for awhile.

Shay I also eat potato chips but only Simply Lays with no preservatives.

Yes jerry chocolate gives lots of people trouble although u drink coffee too don’t u without problems?

Yes me too lady only plain potato chips no seasoning x so yes probably just waves not triggered by anything

Ha Shayna, yes i drink coffee, but only till 3 O’clock, and I guess my body has gotten used to it. What I felt yesterday and today, was new for me...

I think lady is right best to stay away from chocolate x u don’t want anything to make u feel worse during wd. It’s enuf on its own huh! Jerry did u show lady ur artwork? I’m sure she love to see it!  :smitten:

Yes Shay he sent me a link to see it. I really liked it. Quite talented.

Big hugs to Team Z! Here's to more windows and while I'm begging......for more LONGER windows.

Since we were talking about diets. I started a recipe swapping thread. Some of us are so sick sometimes we can't think of what to eat. Or can only handle cooking small meals. I thought that thread might help us make meals easier.

thats a great idea... ill check it out. :smitten:

I started a funny song thread too. felt inspired after hearing a really bad song on the radio this morning :)

Yes Shay he sent me a link to see it. I really liked it. Quite talented.

Big hugs to Team Z! Here's to more windows and while I'm begging......for more LONGER windows.

Since we were talking about diets. I started a recipe swapping thread. Some of us are so sick sometimes we can't think of what to eat. Or can only handle cooking small meals. I thought that thread might help us make meals easier.

That is a FANTASTIC idea LadyDen!  I had that thought that I wish there was a recipe book to follow - so hard to think of what to eat, then plan shopping trips.  I feel so bad for my hubby he loves to cook, and I can hardly eat anything we usually ate.

Yes, LS chocolate def a trigger

All, Potato Chips are a fave of mine too!  just potatoes and salt, so very clean LOL

Shay - what teas do you drink??  Do you think decaf black or green tea would be OK?

hey dee i drink dilmah, its ceylon. Jwl drinks black coz its spose to be better for u... cant remember what in it now that's good coz i have benzo brain  :D ha

Hi All,

I did give up coffee but have decaf occasionally ... nice on weekends in this cold weather. I am eating a lot less sugar on my taper and eat lots of healthy whole foods. We don't have sugar/refined flour foods in the house usually. I love fruit, nature's gift to us!! I have raw cacao powder to put in smoothies if I'm craving a dessert ... but also have hot chocolate sometimes.

Jerry nice to see you had a good day!

Lady love your recipe thread idea and find it helpful to think in terms of not making drastic diet change. That's really cool you can see so clearly how certain foods affected you.

Shayna glad you're getting a new doc.

Just saying hi. One more week and I go down in my next taper to 7.5, OMG!!! That means breaking the second 5mg pill in half, woah!!! That means 1/4 of the way there. But don't let me get ahead of myself.

Ha Ladyden, luckily in the evening I felt better. Also after I took a shower. Tomorrow I have a meeting in the centre of my town, so I hope I feel better tomorrow. This evening our national football team played against Bosnia Herzogovina and won with 3-1. I watched it together with my father. I like to watch art related tv programs. On sunday a program with classical music, in the evening an art competition called Project Rembrandt. On saturday an art portrait competition program. Xmas is different this year, because my mother died last july. So I wonder how these special days will be. I am single child, so we will be with the two of us. How are these days for you? What kind of tv do you watch? I also wonder.. Was it hard for you to taper Ambien?  :thumbsup: Jerry

Jerry firstly I'd like to extend my condolences on the passing of your mother last July. Unfortunately I know what that's like. My mother(s) are passed as well. Holidays are my toughest and this month especially because it's her birthday in a couple of days. She loved thanksgivings and Xmas. I'm happy that you have your dad. I'm sure you both treasure each other. I also love the art shows and I visit museums from around the world on YouTube. You can even visit zoos with live feeds. Currently I've just finished a series on Netflix entitled call the midwife. With you being a guy I don't think you'd enjoy it. But I have watched Lucifer, Sneaky Pete, Marvelous Mrs Maisel just to name a few. Also I love the old sitcoms like Sanford & son, who's the boss, full house, good times, different strokes, Cosby show, facts of life, knight rider, murder she wrote, big valley, gunsmoke, etc.

My days are waves and windows as expected. My boatiness is less but has been replaced with pulling sensation. I've been walking around more often and getting sun. I get up each day with the idea of performing a small normal task while standing or sitting. Some days it's successful.

Actually Ambien wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to taper. Matter of fact, it was the easiest part of this whole ordeal. I think because I did much research and found this forum before I started helped me to taper easily as well as first try success. But I can't not mention that I have a wonderful Doctor that was understanding, open minded, supportive and checked my progress every 2 weeks. I'm blessed to have such a caring doctor. It's very important for patient and Doctor to work together to take on such a difficult task of getting off benzodiazepines or Z-drug. As we all on here know how tough the journey is. I'm so proud of us all.

Ha Ladyden,

Thank you for your condolences! When did your mother die, also recently? It is really different to celebrate the coming xmas, and new year. I have stopped watching Netflix,I think temporarily, I cannot concentrate on movies and series now. So it mostly Dutch tv I watch. I listen also to jazzpodcasts by a famous Dutch saxophone player. And I listen a lot to spotify. I also have a caring shrink, but I see her not much, if I want I can call her. It is nice to hear that tapering Ambien was not hard for you. That gives a bit of hope. It is nice to have our z-team, and that we are not alone in this process. I just had a saxophone lesson which was very nice. Actually I had quite a good day.

:smitten::thumbsup: Jerry

Glad ur having a good day jerry x lady is a tower of strength. She’s been such a good buddy to me. We’ve got this, all of us. Let’s keep pulling each other thru this. X

Team z I’m riding another wave. Sitting here in the darkness again. 2nd night zero. So over it. I hope u are all sleeping soundly. Even my cats are snoring here. I miss it x

Oh Shayna you have cats?! Don't they give you such a sense of calm?  My cat is very needy so I find myself in the middle of the night attending to his needs for pets, etc  I believe he really knows when I'm having a hard time and he just sits with or on me.  :smitten:  I don't know what I would do without him.

Sorry you had another night without sound sleep. You are one day closer to the end of this nightmare! Hang in there!  Thanks for the tea recommendation.  Gonna try it.

Hey dee x yes we have 2. Ur right my girl cat knows when I’m sick and comes and sits on my chest. She just stares at me. Or when I’m really bad in bed she sits right next to me all day. They know when u need them. So cute x

Thanks dee I’m going to keep fighting x I’ll never give up. I just get really sad when I’m a wave. But maybe crying is exactly what I need to get it all out! My little boy came looking for me at 2:30 and it took me 2 hrs to get him back to sleep so think I’ll keep him home with me today. We’ll have a cuddle and watch movies.

I found what’s in black tea, L-theanine . Here’s a link for some of the benefits x just remember there’s caffeine in it so don’t drink too late in day if sleep is an issue  :smitten:

https://www.healthline.com/health/l-theanine#benefits-and-uses

Ha Deanne,

I have a 12 year male cat here... named Piddel (nickname Pippy). I am really happy to have him around. I am never alone here. My profile picture is him....