Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

Thanku Leann everyone’s story is important to me. Makes me feel less alone knowing other people have struggled with this horrible drug. My dr made me feel like I was losing my mind when I knew in my heart there was something more at play. Cannot believe a dr would rip it away from you like that. My dr doesn’t want me to stop taking it so I have the reverse.

At my worst when I hit tolerance I couldn’t leave the house, take my kids to school, feed myself, I just stared out the window all day and cried. My husband and father looked after me around the clock and my father stayed over quite a few times and slept beside me while I tried to cold turkey. It didn’t work. 2 years later I’m almost off but it has been horrific. I had to leave work because I was so sick. The stress of what was happening to me contributed to my husband having a stroke. He is now disabled and unable to work. I know what it’s like to struggle with this drug, we have suffered terribly at the hands of Drs Who have no idea What we go thru because of something they gave us to “help”. You aren’t alone Leann x I hope you heal soon X I never thought I’d get better but I have windows now which give me hope x

Sorry you had such bad time have messaged you with more details. Can I ask how long before you started improving. Your doctor now seems more sympathetic. I was refused diazapam but hand out anti depressants like smarties. They have made me so much worse. Do seriously wonder if I'll ever recover the meds have totally ruined my life. I think had I been given diazapam to help would have recovered by now. I worry strain on my husband he nearly died 4 years ago had heart attack & cardiac arrest at home it does have big effect on our partners.

Ha Shayna,

I am on the other side of the globe. I am living in the Netherlands. 50 km above Amsterdam. Before I got ill, I lived and studied in Delft. I studied architecture at technical university there. I completed this study 18 years ago. Never worked as an architect after that. One of the things I have, is that I am emotionally flat. Do you have that too?

Jerry

Hi just wondered if anyone on here had bad mental symptoms after coming off zopiclone. Was made to go cold turkey off zopiclone after 12 years when my GP retired. Was told if I was struggling could take anti depressants that was it. Been a nightmare had intrusive thoughts and OCD type symptoms. Gradually got worse over last 18 months not helped by eventually trying anti depressants which just made things worse. Was fine on zopiclone so sure it's caused by going cold turkey, sure if I'd done a proper taper would been different as never had any symptoms before. Sleep surprisingly not been too bad most of the time

Leann our stories sound terribly similar. I’m so sorry about ur husband. The stress of watching someone u love go through something horrific that you can’t help them with, must be such an awful burden. My husband was at every appointment with me trying to tell the drs it was the zopiclone, then the drs make u believe u have mental health problems, so u take the antidepressants. They made me really sick Leann. My signature has mentioned what I was put on. I have to say it wasn’t until I stopped taking the antidepressants that I started feeling better. I woke up every day with horrific anxiety while I was on them. I would wake up and dry retch and cry and try to get my shit together to make my kids lunch and let me tell u that was almost impossible for a long time. Drs weaned me off lexapro earlier this year to put me on effexor and I just said that’s enuf. I knew what was wrong and it wasn’t depression. The zopiclone was making me sick. I found another forum where there are lots of people suffering this too. I will find the link and add it.

Hi jerry yes I’m definitely emotionally flat! I hardly ever laugh anymore. I used to be very bubbly and happy, I’m not sure if it’s the drugs that are suppressing my emotions or what I’ve been thru that has just changed me. I did have a walk yesterday and was smiling because everything looked so bright! It’s like colours seem so much brighter suddenly. If I could sleep they the night I would say I’m almost back to normal. Only had 3 hours last night but that’s ok coz strangely I feel pretty good this morning. Made the next reduction last night so in a few days I’ll feel like death again but I’ll get thru it!

Ha Shayna,

Even though the thought of going quickly to zero with the zopiclone sounds attractive, I still think I have to do it slow to be really successful. Even though the temperature outside has lowered from 32 degrees to 27, indoors it is still 27,5 degrees, which is not bad, but to hot to do the next step for me.

Besides being emotionally flat I also have trouble with conversations with people, I have difficulty with complex thinking. My memory is also not great either. I have tried to read music theory books, because of my saxophone playing, but it is hard to get it in my brain. My wish is to learn how to blow solos on cord structures... I hope I will learn it when I am finished with the zopiclone.

Jerry

Yes I’m speaking with a couple of buddies that are having trouble with the heat, if ur sleeping well on dose ur on no need to rush. I look at the zop I’m taking now and it’s literally crumbs but I have to take it slow, I’d rather get 3 hrs sleep than none. I have cog fog too jerry. I have read so many books over this time and have no memory of them or very little. Atm I’m struggling with lower back pain and cannot shake this flu. I was dreaming last night and woke up in a coughing fit. Apart from that I have low energy but I feel ok. Sometimes I just get sad because I miss that lovely float in and out of sleep. I don’t get that I’m just asleep and awake. But... things are better than they were and I am doing what my buddies have told me, accept and distract.  8)

Do you also have anxiety problems? I have light problems with heights... which I didn’t have before my zopiclone interdose withdrawals....What is cog fog?

Jerry

I didn’t have anxiety before I started taking Benzos. Maybe a little social anxiety but I think most people have that and it wasn’t severe or to the point I wouldn’t go somewhere. Cog fog is short for cognitive fog, that feeling of not being as sharp mentally as you were. Not being able to remember things, not being able to find the word your looking for. I’m so tired this morning. Slept 5 hours last night, so happy with that but still so tired.

Hee Shayne, not being able to sleep is one of the worst things that can happen. I had a long period of sleep problems, and it was hell. The reason that my sleeping problems stopped is because of an anti-psychotic that I use, called leponex. It has its side effects too, but that is less worse than bad sleep. I think this makes it also possible to wean off the zopiclone. And because my sleep is not too bad, I am not in a hurry to do the taper quick too (besides the heat)..

I hope your coming night is better! Jerry

Hi jerry, no I was put on zyprexa to help me sleep, also seroquel. Neither helped so won’t go back down that toad. Wish it wasn’t so up and down. One night good one night zero next night 3 hrs. It’s bizarre x

Ha Shayna,

I understand that you don’t want to use other medication. It is also not my advice for you to use leponex.

I use it too because it helps me to prevent to become psychotic, which has happened To me several times in the past.

That is something I want to prevent at all cost. I have been in mental hospitals several times, and that was really tough. Not only for me, but also for family and friends. Luckily the last time I had this, is ten years ago.

Jerry

That’s terrible jerry x I’m so glad you are doing better now. I just found they made me like a zombie and did nothing to help me sleep. I know they help some people tho. I’m just some sort of mutant that drugs don’t work on!

Ha Shayna,

I just came back from the swimming pool. It was really nice and quiet. The holidays are over here. I also met two pool friends. I swam 800m today. My night was ok. The morning was really tough. But swimming helped me to feel better. I will play some saxophone in the afternoon, I think I will play alto this time. I hope you had a good night.

Jerry

So glad u have had a good day. I had a good day yesterday, Walked along the beach with my parents, was a beautiful warm day for winter, but have just gotten up from another sleepless night. I’m so tired. Seems like I’m having one night ok one night bad atm.

This week finally the carpenter has gone and now I get painters tomorrow. Not in my house, but in the central area of my appartment building. Painters have to sand, and the surfaces are quite large. So I expect they will use machines. And that will make noise. I always go to bed late and wake up around at 10 O clock. And those workmen often start early... hopefully It will go better than I expect...

It went ok, no noise yet. I had quite a busy day. Swimming, physiotherapy, cleaning my house... and in the evening at sunset my father and I went to the beach to put the ashes of my mother in an urn. The sunset was beautifully red, so we had a lot of luck. We also made some beautiful pictures. How was your day Shayna?

Jerry

That’s lovely jerry. X I’m so sorry about ur mum but u made some precious memories with your dad and that is lovely x my day is better today Thanku. I had some sleep last night after 2 nights without. So greatful for it and ready for a better day. Sun is shining it’s warm enough to just wear a shirt now. Going to have a good day  8)

I have a really bad day Shayna. I know why. Since monday I am using partially medication of another ‘brand’ . It works differently and so my body has to get used to it. I feel more depressed during the day. Today is the last warm day. We finally go back to 20 degrees. I am really looking forward to this. Here in my house it Is still 27 degrees.

Nice that you finally got some hours sleep...

Jerry

Oh jerry I’m sorry to hear that. Have u been swimming? Try to still go, I know it’s hard when ur not feeling good but u will feel better for it later x plus if it’s starting to cool off might not want to swim once it gets too cold x