Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

Hi,

Is it still recognised as the best way to get off Zoplicone is a fast taper. Going from 7.5mg, one week to 3.75mg, one week to 1.8mg etc ?

I would say it's up to the individual.  Professor Ashton set out the guidelines a long time ago and they're a great starting point but I feel that symptoms should dictate how fast you go.  I was able to stop Ambien cold turkey with few symptoms other than a nasty case of insomnia for awhile but everyone is different.

Can't find how start new topic so here goes. Has anyone done a brief reinstatement on zopiclone? Was made to cold turkey with disasterous results. Stupidly tried AD with severe adverse reaction to them causing crippling mental symptoms. Thinking of briefly reinstating zopiclone as just can't cope with feeling I'm literally loosing my mind, been relentless since trying AD 11 months ago. Did take zop this morning and has eased things bit. I'm not advocating reinstating by any means, and certainly not looking at long term  but I was happy on zopiclone and would never had stopped was forced into it by my new doctor.Just wondered if anyone tried?

Can't find how start new topic so here goes.

For future reference.

On the upper right side of your window is a blue tab that says New Topic, click on it then give your post a subject title, write your message then hit post on the lower right side of the window.

:( hi to all Z-survivors ( not victims). I'm having a tough slow recovery. This whole Ambien ( zolpidem) ordeal has already cost me greatly. I will be so glad when I can drive, put my head down to cook, take a bath unassisted again, go for walks everyday, go out in the sun, go out to eat, watch a movie, sit up in a chair for longer than 15 minutes, etc. I'm so tired of being in bed every day. Anybody in my shoes?

I guess I respond by saying that I had all the withdrawal symps one could have.  I'm four years off this month and have just ordinary health issues due to underlying condition and just getting older.

I remember the G.I. stuff and histamine problems and nausea

I remember pacing my house for days on end

I couldn't drive a lot of the time

I'd lie in bed praying for the agitation to lift

I remember the insomnia

It took me forever to taper off with a jeweler's scale.  I reinstated early on when I figured out what was happening with my withdrawal and then tapered very slowly. 

I love my Z-druggers.  People need to know how bad these fast-actors are.  They are not simply the innocuous distant cousins of benzodiazepines. 

You will feel better again!  It is so annoying the amount of time this s**t takes.  But you will feel better.

Hi,

Is it still recognised as the best way to get off Zoplicone is a fast taper. Going from 7.5mg, one week to 3.75mg, one week to 1.8mg etc ?

Hi white beach I just hit the wall at 0.9. Reinstating tonight. Pdoc said to go slower at the end 10% every 2 weeks. Which will take me 12 weeks to get back down to 0.9. Seems a bit over the top.

I guess I respond by saying that I had all the withdrawal symps one could have.  I'm four years off this month and have just ordinary health issues due to underlying condition and just getting older.

I remember the insomnia

It took me forever to taper off with a jeweler's scale.  I reinstated early on when I figured out what was happening with my withdrawal and then tapered very slowly. 

I love my Z-druggers.  People need to know how bad these fast-actors are.  They are not simply the innocuous distant cousins of benzodiazepines. 

You will feel better again!  It is so annoying the amount of time this s**t takes.  But you will feel better.

My pdoc just told me to go slower at the tail. 10% reduction until extinction. At this rate I’ll be withdrawing until my 50s. I just don’t know if I can do it. I want to be rid of this by October. Thanku for posting ur story. I’m going to reinstate back to 1.87 then hold 2 weeks then see if I can keep going then

So I’ll be reducing for another 6 mths if I do 10% reduction. Does anyone else think that’s excessive? Is it 10% every 2 weeks in Ashton manual or 1-2 weeks?

:( hi to all Z-survivors ( not victims). I'm having a tough slow recovery. This whole Ambien ( zolpidem) ordeal has already cost me greatly. I will be so glad when I can drive, put my head down to cook, take a bath unassisted again, go for walks everyday, go out in the sun, go out to eat, watch a movie, sit up in a chair for longer than 15 minutes, etc. I'm so tired of being in bed every day. Anybody in my shoes?

It’s cost me so much too. I can’t work, today all I can do is cry. I’m so sorry u are struggling so much ladyden x

I remember the insomnia

Hi wannabe x just wondering how long did u wait between cuts x

I recall cutting 5% as I got closer to the end.  I kept a little record book - I've saved that thing so I never forget how difficult this process is.

But I recall holding sometimes for 2 weeks or more which is uncommon since it is so fast acting this stuff and with interpose withdrawal but I got through it holding sometimes.  The key is to just keep moving forward and slow down if you are too sick

Just remember -- there is no perfect way and your way is just fine.  This is not a marathon.  If it took me ten years to taper so that I could avoid symptoms - I would have done it.

Wow. That’s very slow but I respect u so much for doing that. I am just struggling to get my head around what happened. Things were going well then boom. Anyway. I’m ok now but I feel like I can go a bit faster than 10%. I’ve been on this rollercoaster 2 years already. But I do understand what u mean by however long it takes too. I wouldn’t care how slow I’d have to go if I could just get 4/5 hours a night. I can function on that.

Hello LadyDen,  I think we are on a similar time course.  Like you I was only ever on Ambien, no other Z-drugs or other benzos.  July 31 was my last dose. Withdrawal is so very hard indeed.

I've scoured this site to find the histories of ppl in our shoes.  There are not many only on this one drug!

I had been suffering for nearly 2 years with tolerance withdrawal - started with muscle nerve pain and progressed with intense anxiety attacks and just feeling so unwell.  Because the doctors thought my pain was spine-related I received numerous other medications and steroid injections which I now know only made my symptoms worse :-(

Today is a bad day.  Like you I am lying down alot.  I want so much to return to my old life - there is so much to do and so much to still enjoy.  I am turning 60 this year....I hope I haven't ruined the rest of my life, but there are moments when I feel absolutely normal.  Just moments.  They don't last long and when they occur, I stop and feel the gratitude so much I could cry...

Hold on LadyDen...It will get so much better.  I am in week 6 and sometimes I can sense the teeniest bit of improvement. 

What is your most bothersome symptom?

I will keep you in my thoughts :-)

Hi Deanna and Shayna and Wannabe. I'm happy to meet you all. My worst symptom is boatiness. Push pulling wavy fun house dizzying. I tried to scream at it to tell it to go back to hell where it came from but ..... It didn't listen  :laugh: if it wasn't for that, I'd be able to exercise, go for walks, go to stores, take a bath unassisted and enjoy my family.  It was one of my first symptoms when I made it to the end of my taper. Yes it was the ONLY medication I was on. In 2009 I watched my mother turn into a skeleton and pass away from cancer. This was after only a few years before I reconnected with her because of a family issue. It resulted in me being adopted and having a distant relationship with her. So I felt such hurt as if I was robbed of finally getting closely bonded. My sister couldn't get over her death along with other life stressors was put on benzos. 3 years later, she became a missing person. She was found the next day...committed suicide right before thanksgiving. The next month on Christmas Eve, my cousin went fishing by himself. Boat turned over and he drowned!  OUR FAMILY WAS DEVASTATED!!!! Thats when I was put on Ambien to help me sleep instead of seeing my deceased family members funerals over and over. I was started on 5mg. Then after 3years, it wasn't as effective so another doctor upped my dose to 10 then 1 1/2 year after I was waking up frequently. It was upped to the Ambien CR12.5mg. WAY WAY WAY past a proper dose for a female! I was NEVER told not to take it nightly or only for 2 weeks or the side effects or it must be tapered,etc. I was told it was safe, not a benzo and to just stop whenever I wanted to. I wish the government would do something about this! What are your worse symptoms?

Lady I’m so sorry for ur loss. My heart absolutely breaks for you. Life is very hard for some of us x It sounds like ur poor sister was harmed terribly by the meds she was on. Absolutely heart breaking xxx sister, let me introduce myself x I have 3 kids, my 3rd child was always a poor sleeper, so I had sleep deprivation from since he was born. When he was almost 1, my brother passed away tragically, heart attack at 35, his pregnant wife found him. He had 2 other children. His death burst my bubble. Old people die, not young people. I think it just shocked me to my core. While we were planning his funeral, my almost 1 yr old got sick. Very sick, I thought he had gastro, but he had something called intersusseption, meaning the bowel retracted into itself. We very nearly lost him. He had the part of his bowel removed And recovered. I was in the hospital with my very ill son, and my beloved brother was in the same hospital, but not where the living are (can’t bring myself to say where). It was the worst week of my life, and then I went into what must’ve been a ptsd hyper vigilance to protect my son at all costs. I stopped caring about myself and completely handed myself over to his care. I cosleep with him even now (although I’m in a bunk now) and my sleep got difficult in 2017 when he was diagnosed with autism. At the same time my older son started self harming and was very depressed. I was juggling therapies for my sons, a full time job and very little sleep. That’s when the sleeping pills started. I started showing signs of anxiety but thought it was just tiredness. Then I started having panic attacks and chest pain, swapped to zopiclone from temaze, then things just deteriorated from there. In my signature u can see what the drs tried me on, so won’t mention that, but when things really got bad, my husband suffered a stroke, was in hospital for 6 weeks and is now disabled. I think what happened to me is part of the reason he had a stroke. He was trying to work and rushing home to me when I was extremely ill. He is only 51.  My dr said the same to me about meds being safe. She still thinks they are. My main symptoms are anxiety and insomnia, but also heart palpitations are quite bad x

Shayna. I'm so sorry for your hardships as well. Life is not so kind sometimes. But I love telling anyone who will listen, that we're survivors not victims. Since we survived so far, then we got this withdrawals by the balls.  :D I remind myself each day as I'm having these symptoms that THIS IS MY WONDERFULLY MADE BRAIN HEALING. I also buried my 3 year old little girl right before hurricane Katrina hit. I often think of her and hear her telling me that if I can live without her then keep going! I want to get well enough to travel to put flowers on her grave again. So I can understand how you must have been terrified of losing your son so young. I wouldn't wish that pain on anybody! It's been 15 years and it feels like it's only been a year. I know we will be ok. I know we can do this. I know we will see this as our past one day. As my quote says some days I take 1 second at a time. I'm keeping a progress log so I can see how much I've healed. I write down everything I eat or drink and if it gives me a reaction. I write down my waves and windows and how long they last plus intensity (1-10 scale). Even though I'm right under 3 months post jump, I've improved more than I thought. These withdrawals LIE to us telling us we can't and won't heal. DONT BELIEVE THAT

Lady. I am so sorry for the loss of ur little girl x to hear all this and now that u have to deal with wd is so unfair. U are so brave x it’s been 7 years since my brother left and yes it doesn’t feel like it’s been that long. I do believe too that we are warriors to go thru this and make it to the other side. I’m not there yet but feel so greatful to hear stories of those who made it thru. Thank god for all of u. There are some days I think I’ll never get better. I’ve just had a bad wave like that and it brought me to my knees. I learnt a big lesson tho to hold and wait til it passes instead of pushing thru with taper. U are an inspiration lady x an absolute trooper x  :thumbsup:

Edit: Removed profanity.

Yes thx for your kindness. Please don't let the benzo bully get the best of you. Waves are brutal but temporary. When they happen pull out your bag of calming tricks until it passes. Meditation,deep  breathing, hold a teddy bear and count slowly, tell yourself you're healing and although it feels awful, it's needed. After it's over, congratulate yourself for being a warrior! By the way today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday and we made it! Say that every morning.  ::)

I’m sorry for the profanity!  :laugh: I’m an Aussie we can’t help it! Haha Thanku lady. I will try to be stronger next wave, or just pull out my surfboard and ride it in to shore. Cowabunga  8)

Dear Lady and Shayna - I am heartbroken by your losses....The courage you both exude is amazing considering everything going on.  Yes life can be very hard and the doctors only have so many tools to help us and so they offer meds to "solve" the problem quickly and efficiently.  I also was never told to not take ambien every day, although deep down I know it shouldn't be but never knew why.  I thought it was like those heartburn medications which also shouldn't be used everyday - but they are.  But I must give credit to my new GP...although she was on board with the back injury model for my care she was the one who called out the ambien once I complained of waking at 4am with anxiety attacks.  She knew I had been on them for a while and didn't like renewing the script for constant use - so she told me it would be hard to get off them, but really encouraged me without denying me the meds for tapering.  I tapered pretty fast over 5 weeks - see signature.  My most bothersome symptom (still) is the pain.  I can deal with the flu-like ill feeling (which does require me to lie down) but when the pain escalates it is hard to distract from that.  The most amazing thing is that I have been sleeping relatively well (5-7 hours, very interrupted) so I guess I never really "needed" the ambien.  Oh but I'm off all caffeine right now - I used to drink alot of coffee - I do miss it terribly and when I can drink it again I wonder if I will sleep as well.  But I'll be happy to cross that bridge when I get there.

Hello Deanna x Thanku so much for sharing ur story with us. I felt the same as you about sleepers, but thought worse case would just need to wean off them, never in a million years thought this could happen. U are very lucky ur dr realized what was happening and pulled you out of that god awful situation. My dr had been very supportive, I have her direct number, and really, she was only ever trying to help me. But I do wish she had a conversation with me after the 2nd script, or even the 5th. They don’t realise this can happen a lot of the time. But, they need to know. I am so glad u are getting good sleep. Your pain must be very difficult to manage, it’s so strange how differently we all react isn’t it? I miss coffee too, mostly, I miss just drinking or eating anything without worrying if it will effect my sleep/taper..... Better not eat this sugar, better not drink this cup of tea at 5pm, better not drink a glass of wine and eat a bucket load of Camembert. It’s no way to live. I think when we are all healed, we should drink wine coffee and tea followed by a block of chocolate and cheese right before bed. That’s livin on the edge right there. *sigh  ;)