Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

Thanks Katz, that’s very very simple and helpful, got it now.

You’re right I’m seeing my pdoc on wed and see what he says.

Do you think I should cut out the lorazepam too, I don’t want to be In another world of hurt when I have to withdraw from it.

Lastly, the ambien I’m using is the normal release version. Would substituting it for the extended release version (but that comes in 12.5mg) make sense and would it help in this withdrawal process?

Head, the listed half life of lorazepam is 12 hours. The half life of Ambien is 1.5 hours.

I understand about your thoughts re lorazepam and not wanting to get into a world of hurt tapering it. Do you think it's doing you any good at this point? Does it reduce your anxiety? And it's not the shortest-acting drug you're taking. If we are taking multiple drugs, we're advised to taper the shortest-acting drug first, and one taper at a time.

And NO NO NO do not change to an extended-release Ambien. The pills ought not to be cut and you'd just be adding more drug to taper from.

I'm not sure what to do about the loraz. I'll try to get an opinion.

As soon as you begin to make taper cuts (more than the "experimental" 5 mgs I proposed) that your body notices, I have to tell you that you will most likely be in a world of hurt . . . the same miserable world that all of us discovered. And it's not pleasant. Ambien withdrawal was not quite the beast for me that valium was, but the taper was significant. So you may have some rough times ahead. But the alternative is dire, Head. That much Ambien cannot be letting you lead your best life, and indeed, may end it.

So, keep your Wednesday app't, then report back to us? We'll try to help you out of "the weeds".

Best,

:smitten:

Katz

Katz I’ve only been taking the Loraz for a week now and I’m not sure if it has done anything for my anxiety.

The reason my pdoc put me on Loraz was because my body was not acting well to Valium, this he proposed a Benzo with a medium type of half life.

Please let me know anything you find out about if I should continue or stop taking it.

Headspace, apparently you have another thread going, on which you have received many suggestions for a taper. I think my talking to you here is just duplicating the efforts of others, including two mods.

It would be less confusing for you to receive all your advice in one place, I think. So I will post there. I haven't found out anything about the loraz. However, if you post your question about it on your other thread, perhaps someone will have an informed opinion.

Best,

Katz

Dear Katz, I did t mean to create confusion by making 2 threads.

It was in fact a mod who asked me to post my story here in the Z support group as you guys have direct experience with things like ambien.

I thank you for your kind help so far and am looking forward to seeing you post in my other thread.

Once again it is much appreciated!

Hi WBB, just saw my pdoc and was given a new taper schedule starting this Sunday.

I’m really jittery and anxious between doses and many times have wanted to just give up entirely. It’s a dark place to be in, and I’m constantly afraid that I can’t see light at the end of the tunnel.

This’s my newest plan to be started on Sunday:

8am - 30mg ambien

12pm - 30mg ambien

3pm 40 mg ambien, 1 lorazepam

7pm - 90mg ambien, 50mg Valdoxan, 150mg diphenhydramine

1am - 80 mg ambien, 1 lorazepam

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey,

I am about to start tapering my half tablet of zopiclone. I have waited for a long time, but I think spring is the best time to start. I am feeling bad anyway so why not.

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I started with a very slow taper of my half zopiclone tablet. I think I was able to cut of 1/8 of it. I only will go to the next step when I feel good enough. The morning was quite tough, but later in the day I felt relatively good.

It is probably quite rare for people to taper zopiclone. There are not many here. Mmmmm...

That’s because it has a very short half-life, and it is notoriously difficult to taper. You are left in wd inbetween the doses. I too did a direct taper from a short acting benzo. But it was HELL. I don’t recommend it.  :)

I think most people do a crossover to a longer-acting benzo and taper from there.

But, if you feel ok tapering, you might just make it. Good luck! :thumbsup:

It is probably quite rare for people to taper zopiclone. There are not many here.

Light, I tapered zolpidem. Like you, I cut the pill (in my case, one of the 2 5 mg pills I got my doc to prescribe) into 1/8s, and tapered that way. I reduced by 1/8th every 2 weeks or so. It was not fun. But it was doable. And I did it after my benzo taper.

Hang in, Light. You can do it. I felt soooooo  much better once I was off my zop.

Katz

Hi NewOgirl and Katz,

Thanks both for your support. The interdose withdrawal is mild, because I am used to only half a tablet a day. Today is day two of my taper. It is doable. The weather is nice and sunny. I will go for a walk later today. And have a meal at my parents place. We have to be careful because of the corona virus. Still no lockdown here in Holland

Jeroen

I am happy to hear that Lightspacer, sounds good, you are going to make it!  :thumbsup:

Please be careful with the virus, the Netherlands govt. has a ”sacrifice people for the herd immunity” policy. The German DW news station explains why that is a bad ideea:

Sending love and healing vibes!

I accidentally removed my previous post... what I said, was that I now use a file to make the zopiclone pills smaller, instead of breaking the pills... I am also curious whether there are other people here doing a z-drug taper??

Greetings, Jeroen

Sorry Lightspacer, seems like so! Try looking at the other boards for topics that might spark your interest for discussion, for example dieting, working out, the news. We have also threads just for fun and games! I am sure you’ll find some friends there if you start posting!

:angel:

Hey new0girl,

I read in your profile, that you also tapered zopiclone, how long did you use it? Was it hard for you to taper it?

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I was put by my pdoc on a very strange and probably dangerous regime, that is, I was supposed to take benzo and z-drug on alternate nights. He explained to me that in this way, I won't become dependent on either the benzo or the z-drug.

I followed his prescription for two months before I started to develop violent interdose withdrawals. I didn't know what was going on, I had no idea I was in wd, as my pdoc insisted that could not be after such a short use, wanted me to take anti-depressants and anti-psychotics on top of everything.  So, I spent the next three months going to more than 20 doctors and having all kinds of procedures and bloodwork done. I continued to take the benzo and z-drug,but was afraid of the other psymeds. Nobody could find anything wrong with me, but I was agonizing in horrific pain, couldn't sleep anymore, couldn't eat, developed boils, etc.

Finally, I came to the bb site and buddies here advised that I crossover to benzo only and taper that. So,I was on it for 5 months, but I didn't really do a z-drug taper, so I don't think I can be of much help to you, as my situation was very different.

You seem to be doing fine, though, keep it up!  :)

Ha New0girl,

Thanks for your info. To be honest, I have very tough mornings. I am not sure if this is zopiclone related, because I am also using other medication; clozapine  and citalopram. An antipsychotic and an antidepressivant. Before I change these I want to taper the zopiclone first. It is very nice weather here, so I will go running later today. Enjoy your weekend!

Jerry

I am sorry to hear that Jerry, those psy meds are some tough beasts to fight! It's never going to be easy, but, if you feel you absolutely can't go forward with it, you might want to study about crossing over to Valium and tapering that instead.

Enjoy your weekend and the nice weather!

I have tried crossing over with Valium in the past and it was not a success. I missed the sleep effect. I think the way I am doing it now is the best. Very very slowly, to give my brain the time to adapt. The interdose withdrawal effects are no fun, but bearable compared to real benzo’s. I think its is benzo-light. I hardly have any obligations at the moment, so I can feel sick if I want. Even though I am not religious, I think this is on my path. I this is part of my life’s agreement. The one I made before I started with this life. It feels this life I have to do a final exam, and can show how strong I am. How strong I mentally am. Also it is a also way how I can become strong. That I am a winner. And can stand very strong storms. And if God excists, he knowns what I am going through. I am not alone in this ordeal. And when this is all over, and know how it is to carry very vert heavy stones. Day in day out. I will feel like a feather, which will be blown very high in the heavens. And I know then how wonderful it is to feel peace, love and luckiness. Perhaps then I will become God myself. Become eternal light.

Jerry  :thumbsup: