Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Thank you Marie. At what amount did you go to the mix?

I had 3xlorazapam and 1xtemezepam. That's why there is 4 times a day at the moment.

I crossed over several years ago from lorazapam in 2021 and last year changed the temezepam.

I tapered the diazepam quickly in 2021 coming down in 2s from 20 and run into trouble at 12 to 10mg. Really bad symptoms. Horrific. Changed antidepressant.

However I get up for a few weeks then take a dip again. Not always on a reduction. I think stress plays a part as well plus the GP put me on hrt hormones which adds a complication into the mix.

I have held for 4 weeks since my decrease of 0.25 over 2 weeks, progesterone patch and stress so far but still really struggling. I feel so low.

Thank you for reaching out.

Thank you Marie. At what amount did you go to the mix?

I had 3xlorazapam and 1xtemezepam. That's why there is 4 times a day at the moment.

I crossed over several years ago from lorazapam in 2021 and last year changed the temezepam.

I tapered the diazepam quickly in 2021 coming down in 2s from 20 and run into trouble at 12 to 10mg. Really bad symptoms. Horrific. Changed antidepressant.

However I get up for a few weeks then take a dip again. Not always on a reduction. I think stress plays a part as well plus the GP put me on hrt hormones which adds a complication into the mix.

I have held for 4 weeks since my decrease of 0.25 over 2 weeks, progesterone patch and stress so far but still really struggling. I feel so low.

Thank you for reaching out.

I’m sorry, I am confused are you on V or the other two right now? Your signature says you crossed over to all V, but you said you took 3 L and 1T.

I think I went to DLMT around 7mg? I would have to look back in my journal or on my progress log.  I wish I would have done it sooner, or from the beginning.  It is so much gentler IMO

I was quite comfortable with the plan Bob7  set me out, but now, after reading your posts '' Lottie, coco'' you've made me feel even more afraid than I already was.  :(

Bob7 really knows his stuff. Stick with what he created. It may be rougher, but at least you won't get slammed like a cold turkey. He's helped you make the best you can of the situation. I wish things weren't so rigid, and more recognition was given to Ashton's work. We have a long way to go.

Miss Piggy - Thank you.  Ok.  I am on hormones too.  I have them compounded, so biodenticals.  They have helped me a lot.  And yes, stressful situations send me…I try to keep things as calm as possible and have had to had lots of conversations with my family as to keep things as chill as possible.  Obviously life still happens and stress is a part of life, and so there are some situations that are unavoidable, and in those, I just try and practice breathing techniques as much as possible and mindful meditation techniques as well. 

What do you plan to cut by in % ? Have you made a plan?  Are you thinking about a DLMT?

Oh BTW, I made a mistake with my dose.  I am still at .68ml’s…I don’t know why I thought I was at .66 or .67?  :idiot:  LOL. Today, I will be at .67ml.  After I posted, I went and took my dose, and I looked at my fridge (where I track everything) and I laughed.  So two days at .67ml’s, 1mg pill at night, so 1.67mg x 2 days, then 1.66mg x 2 days and so on….this really helps me to gently reduce.  No sudden cuts and the brutal sx I use to have. 

Marie

Miss Piggy - Thank you.  Ok.  I am on hormones too.  I have them compounded, so biodenticals.  They have helped me a lot.  And yes, stressful situations send me…I try to keep things as calm as possible and have had to had lots of conversations with my family as to keep things as chill as possible.  Obviously life still happens and stress is a part of life, and so there are some situations that are unavoidable, and in those, I just try and practice breathing techniques as much as possible and mindful meditation techniques as well. 

What do you plan to cut by in % ? Have you made a plan?  Are you thinking about a DLMT?

Oh BTW, I made a mistake with my dose.  I am still at .68ml’s…I don’t know why I thought I was at .66 or .67?  :idiot:  LOL. Today, I will be at .67ml.  After I posted, I went and took my dose, and I looked at my fridge (where I track everything) and I laughed.  So two days at .67ml’s, 1mg pill at night, so 1.67mg x 2 days, then 1.66mg x 2 days and so on….this really helps me to gently reduce.  No sudden cuts and the brutal sx I use to have. 

Marie

Thank you Marie. Are you taking progesterone the whole month or just half? I think that taking it half is upsetting my withdrawal more.

You are doing great with your withdrawal. I do not know what I will do now. I need to get back on an even keel first. These dips have come regularly and so hard to get out from.

Thanks again MP

MP-  I take 200mg every night at bedtime ( I take it with my eve dose of V).  I do know it is supposed to help with sleep, and if one goes off of progesterone they are supposed to wean off, and it can cause disruption in sleep.  I don’t know anything about bimonthly progesterone and it sounds like that “could” cause sleeping problems…hmmm????

I am doing pretty good for now, but who knows… over a month ago I had to hold a couple of times.  First when I got below 2mg, so that meant I had to break my pill in 1/2 and I would be giving up 1mg to now all liquid.  Even though I am use to this liquid, an entire mg of liquid or almost .99ml is off from my 2mg of the pill form in chemistry.  This sent me into a spiral that I started to feel a few days later, and really felt about 8 days later but I kept reducing so then I really was in trouble.  So I had to hold.  At the same time, I wasn’t paying attention to how fast I was reducing and I had reduced to quickly and so I ended up with benzo flu….ugh!  I had to hold for a little over a week.  So I still get into trouble  :o

Marie

MP - I really hope you can figure out your progesterone and if it is causing you any trouble “or not”. 

You take care too.  I hope you can find a way forward in your reduction plan as well.  :)

Marie

Well im not sure this is possible? When you take a cut of valium can it not rear its ugly head until 9-10 days later? 10 years ago when i weaned off when id take a cut it would affect me about 3 days later...not 9 days later? Ive gone down from 10MG V to 7MG V with 2 weeks inbetween each taper. Sure enough i thought it was a fluke but on the 9th day every time i get really bad depression, start out morning sweating and anxious, which turns into bad depression...sleep kinda screwed up. I didnt think it could take that long to show the affects of the cut? Wondering if its in my head because ive been noticing it now on 9th day. Who knows, it doesnt matter i guess i just didnt even know that was possible.

I wonder if your age might be a factor?  Older age = slower metabolism?

Also, are you currently smoking or taking any other medications, supplements or herbs that interact with diazepam?

[ff...]

I’m a rapid metabolizer of Valium, but some are slow metabolizers etc.

Other factors that affect it are a sluggish liver (kind of what Libertas was getting at when she said she), our liver can be not as efficient at clearing things as we get a little tired older, or other meds and supplements. They all have to go through liver!

One dr I had always advocated holding a min 2 weeks between cuts or longer, a lot on Valium do that as well!

Good luck.

I wonder if your age might be a factor?  Older age = slower metabolism?

Also, are you currently smoking or taking any other medications, supplements or herbs that interact with diazepam?

Could be, im 54 now and back then i was 44. I drink alot of Chamomile tea before bed....thats about it no other medications. I have been having a drink of whiskey every night though, sometimes more. That could be it i guess....i know your liver wants to process alcohol before it processes anything else. But last time this happened at day 9 i was 40 days no alcohol. Yeah my only guess is my age. My metabolism has come to a crawl too in past 10 years, i use to have so much more energy than i do now at 54.

Hi guys -  Interesting about the metabolizing question.  I am a quick metabolizer too, but with V there is still the 1/2 life and this can take 100’s of hours’ to completely remove from the system, depending on the person, and it also is one of the benzo’s that binds to some fat thing ( I don’t know the scientific name) in our body. So if our liver’s have more fat in them (age/health/drinking/drugs could cause this) perhaps this could be a factor. 

I notice that I can also see a lag time in my “wean” and sx (I am also older, almost 57, and overweight) I just had benzo flu hit me out of the blue the other day, so I had to hold a few days.  This seems to just happen out of no where and I can’t figure it out.  So I have to assume it is some of the half-life and the metabolites finally processing out.  There was no doubt when I did cut and holds, that by day 3 I was feeling it full force, but with daily micro tapering, obviously I don’t have this.

I just had a little bout of benzo flue the past few days..UGH!!  I had to hold a few days here….just getting my feet under me again.  I knew I was getting into a little bit of trouble because my face started burning and my tinnitus started acting up. Then I woke up a couple days ago feeling like I was in the wave :-\.  Today the window is half open.  Maybe tomorrow the window will be all the way open.

Hope everyone else is having as good as day as possible.  It is storming here…..

Marie

The 'fat thing' is adipose tissue. I have practically no body fat, so not much to store the V in. But, yeah, it gets stored there.

I had my mircotaper catch up with me too. I'm still trying to figure it all out. Overwhelmed. I decided I'm holding until I get the remaining NAD+ patches.

The Valium side effects eventually go away. Your body is adjusting just stick with it.

How long were you on gaba? Curious because that's yet another taper I need to do!

Hi. I joined this group in searching for answers of heart pounding. I saw your letter here and I have Exactly the same issues.  Was wondering if you found further help and if yours has subsided ?  My Dr stopped me cold turkey six months ago after being on 10 mg Valium for 30 years.  He’s the one who had me on them. It is hell. Thanks

Hi. I joined this group in searching for answers of heart pounding. I saw your letter here and I have Exactly the same issues.  Was wondering if you found further help and if yours has subsided ?  My Dr stopped me cold turkey six months ago after being on 10 mg Valium for 30 years.  He’s the one who had me on them. It is hell. Thanks

Pounding heart is a common issue as is chest pressure, high blood pressure, and palpitations.  Are you on any medication for your heart issues?

Hello dear buddies,

I hope everyone is doing well.  I have been on and off in this forum for quite some time.  This is my second taper of 5mg diazepam. Now holding at 2.5mg. 

I have a question about how to change brands safely.  I have attempted this and failed miserably, now holding at 2.5mg.  Please, would appreciate it if anyone could advise me on how to switch brands safely with minimal sxs.  I have to switch brands because the old manufacturer no longer produces my current brand.

Much love and well wishes to everyone on this forum.

Dila.

Dammit, hit a wall at 6MG cut from 10MG. Was going along fine down 1MG every 2 weeks, at 7MG felt bad anxiety and depression but only for a day. Well on 6MG cut i got the old benzo flu feelings, then real bad anxiety and depression, it lasted for a few days which led to me drinking alcohol just to cope, so that isnt working. Im holding at 6MG until im stable, at that point im going to see where im at...try to go down to 5MG and see how the symtoms are....if i get the same results where its just not doable and they are too much ill have to reduce my reductions.

Spitfire,

Hang in there. Im dropping by .5 mg V now.  My sxs are tough too.  Monday I go down to 4.5 and I'm praying that I can stay stable.  1 mg cuts now are over the recommended percentages I believe.

Best,

Alycat

Hello dear buddies,

I hope everyone is doing well.  I have been on and off in this forum for quite some time.  This is my second taper of 5mg diazepam. Now holding at 2.5mg. 

I have a question about how to change brands safely.  I have attempted this and failed miserably, now holding at 2.5mg.  Please, would appreciate it if anyone could advise me on how to switch brands safely with minimal sxs.  I have to switch brands because the old manufacturer no longer produces my current brand.

Much love and well wishes to everyone on this forum.

Dila.

Hi Dila, Hopefully someone may have already answered this.  The best thing you can do is get the new medication and take it for a week or so and not make any cuts and see how you are doing on it.  I guess it would also depend on how fast you normally metabolize your benzo too.  If it were me, I would wait 2 weeks before I reduced any further.

Marie