Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Thanks for responding.  I assume a prescription for NAD is required?

In the US, no longer. It was but now can be obtained OTC. The spray is OTC, and so is the stuff used in the IV''s and iontophoresis patches. The patches are approved medical devices in both the US and Canada, so you do need a prescription for the ion patch delivery systems. IV drips are done at infusion centers, where medical staff (including a doctor) are present. Some people buy vials of NAD+ (I think they are 500 mg), and do sub-q self-injections of 50 to 100 mg.

Can you PM me the info?

What info are you wanting? About the nasal spray, or about NAD+ IV's or iontophoresis patch systems? Are you in the US (or Canada)?

Again tyvm,

CHeers,  Alycat

YW! I see you are down to 5 mg. You are low enough to consider NAD+ to jump. Dr Ken Starr, who is one of the top experts on NAD+ for benzo detox, says one should be down to at least 5 mg of diazepam, or the equivalent of another benzo. One person, Shamo, jumped at 5 mg using NAD+ IV drips.

I have super Benzo brain and can't think or work any bloody thing out!

I need to dose 0.25mg using liquid, I will be diluting 5x2mg pills (=10mg) in 20mls of Vodka and adding 80mils of water to make 100mls.

I will then need to draw a 0.25mg dose from the liquid out, how do I convert that to mils on a syringe and which line on the syringe?

And which is the best size syringe to make it easier a 1mil or 10mil or another size?

Nova  :smitten: :smitten:

I need to dose 0.25mg using liquid, I will be diluting 5x2mg pills (=10mg) in 20mls of Vodka and adding 80mils of water to make 100mls.

I will then need to draw a 0.25mg dose from the liquid out, how do I convert that to mils on a syringe and which line on the syringe?

And which is the best size syringe to make it easier a 1mil or 10mil or another size?

Well my benzo brain says that with that ratio you have 1mg of benzo to 10 ml of juice.  That would make a draw of 2.5ml a dose of .25mg

I use both a 10 ml and a 1ml oral syringe, depending on how much I want to measure.  I eyeball things very carefully.

hope that makes sense

Well my benzo brain says that with that ratio you have 1mg of benzo to 10 ml of juice.  That would make a draw of 2.5ml a dose of .25mg

I use both a 10 ml and a 1ml oral syringe, depending on how much I want to measure.  I eyeball things very carefully.

hope that makes sense

Yes it is correct  :) thanks  SS 

Nova  :smitten:

• 3 weeks later...

On Monday Im going to start the combination pill and liquid valium, half and half (2 mg pill and 2 mg liquid).  Did anyone have difficulty switching over to the liquid valium?  Stronger, weaker? 

Alycat

howmanytimes does a hybrid taper with a pill and liquid. She hasn't been here much lately, she's been dealing with kidney stones (was in ER twice). I do know her liquid is compounded, not the regular pharmacy liquid. She microtapers her dose. Dosed properly, the liquid should be the same strength as the pill. When she is back to posting, she can probably answers any questions you have. 

On Monday Im going to start the combination pill and liquid valium, half and half (2 mg pill and 2 mg liquid).  Did anyone have difficulty switching over to the liquid valium?  Stronger, weaker? 

Alycat

[/quote)

I have used a combo of pills and liquid since forever.  What I try to do -- as switching to all liquid was a nightmare  that I only tried for two days-- is to have the smallest amount possible in liquid and the rest in pill form.  Right now I dose 2 mg in pill form and then the rest .83mg and dropping, in liquid.  it works well for me and has since I began this regimen.  I use a home-brew that is frowned upon by the admin here -- but again it's worked well for me.

I found that my body metabolized the liquid differently than the dry form of the medicine.  A pharmacist I spoke to concurred (but then I've had pharmacists sayI could drop 25% a week  :crazy::idiot:)

I'll answer any questions that I can.  Sure makes tapering small amounts easy and accurate: using medical grade measuring equipment NOT kitchen measuring cups.

:):thumbsup:

SS

:):thumbsup:

SufferingSixty?

At this point Ive committed to my Psych and I have what I have.  Do you think it will be a problem to do half and half?

Now Im concerne4d.

Alycat

Hey all, I am day 3 into my slow sub over from A to V.  I was dosing 0.5mg morning & evening on A.  No issues so far as i am doing a slow sub.  I was wondering if anyone here has experience with equivalency crossovers here?  I know Ashton says 1mg to 10mg.  But other calculators can range from as low a 1 to 5 or 1 to 6 or 1 to 8. 

My psychiatrist is telling me 6mg valium should be good.  But i am not buying it.  I might try and meet him in the middle at like 8mg V at the end of the sub.  Anyone have luck going less than Ashton's 1 to 10mg ratio???

SufferingSixty?

At this point Ive committed to my Psych and I have what I have.  Do you think it will be a problem to do half and half?

Now Im concerne4d.

Alycat

Hi Alycat

I doubt it'll be a problem!  I'm sure not wanting to seed any doubt into the plan that you have carefully put together.  Some people have a hard time switching to all liquid, but that's very different from what you'll be doing.

I recently upped my percentage of liquid portion due to pill size and did not notice the switch up at all!

:thumbsup:

SS

Hi, Alycat!  I recently switched to a combination of tablets and pharma liquid.  I personally did need a little time to adjust to the liquid portion but stuck with it, and glad I did.  I held my dose for one month prior to the transition to tablet/liquid combo using tablets only.  My mistake was I was feeling overly confident and only held my dose for 3 days once on tablet/liquid combo before reducing. 

I believe my body ended up taking the liquid as a small reduction, but over a short time it leveled out.  I had an uptick in my most prevalent symptom (insomnia) for about a week but held my dose and it evened back out.  I am now down to 9.72mg diazepam, reducing daily again and doing well.  My advice would be to hold for at least 10-14 days once on the combination of tablets and liquid (due to the long half-life of diazepam) and remain confident in your new experiment (even if you get a slight uptick in symptoms for a short bit).  Everything should level out; it did for me! 

Hi, Alycat!  I recently switched to a combination of tablets and pharma liquid.  I personally did need a little time to adjust to the liquid portion but stuck with it, and glad I did.  I held my dose for one month prior to the transition to tablet/liquid combo using tablets only.  My mistake was I was feeling overly confident and only held my dose for 3 days once on tablet/liquid combo before reducing. 

I believe my body ended up taking the liquid as a small reduction, but over a short time it leveled out.  I had an uptick in my most prevalent symptom (insomnia) for about a week but held my dose and it evened back out.  I am now down to 9.72mg diazepam, reducing daily again and doing well.  My advice would be to hold for at least 10-14 days once on the combination of tablets and liquid (due to the long half-life of diazepam) and remain confident in your new experiment (even if you get a slight uptick in symptoms for a short bit).  Everything should level out; it did for me!

Faith Hope Love,

That is a very conservative way to switch over.  Did you switch over that majority of your dose to liquid?  I'm so glad that that worked out for you in the end. :thumbsup:

I'm a very cautious when it comes to tapering as well and find that holding for 3-4 days is sufficient for my body to stabilize  with a new regimen -- but I went from 20% of my dose in liquid, to 25%, and now 30% of my dose in liquid.  That might be part of my how my body adjusted well.

:)

SS

Thanks for your replies, FHL and SufferingS.  Im getting so low that I hope my body won't noticed.  #Wishfulthinking I know.  My worst sx is tinnitus which is raging for 3 days now but Ive been on 4 mg for abt 3 weeks.  Im so eager to join the Under 3 mg group but I'll try to be patient.  My pharmacist said I shouldn't expect anything either so I'll just cross my fingers and start on Monday.  Im keeping a very precise schedule.  Im saying prayers for all of us and will let you know how it goes.

:thumbsup:  Alycat

Hi, SS.

I switched 20% of my dose over to pharma liquid initially (8mg tablets and 2mg/ml liquid), but then I remembered about a week later I had some left over 5mg tablets so used those and have been under 10% in liquid form since then (5mg tablet and two 2 mg tablets).  Once I run out of 5mg tablets in near future, I will be back to around 15% liquid and work my way down until I drop another 2mg tablet then restart.  I will then be at 25% liquid (6mg tablets and 2mg/ml liquid).  Everytime I drop a 2mg tablet, I will be increasing my percentage in liquid.  At least that’s the plan for now.

I agree with the cautious/conservative approach and personally wish I had waited longer than 3 days after switching over to the combination of tablets and liquid before reducing.  Everyone’s body is different however.  I feel if I would have waited longer than 3 days to reduce, it would have personally been beneficial.  Erring on the safe side and waiting an additional week or two (instead of reducing) after switching dosage form seems wisest.  This way we are only changing one variable at a time.  If the switch is successful (and there is no uptick in symptoms) that’s great and you have only “lost” an extra week or two.

FaithHopeLove. Keeping the faith and good luck.  Keep posting your progress.  How are you feeling?

:thumbsup:

Alycat

Hi, Alycat.  I feel ok and am functional.  I just don’t sleep like I used to which obviously makes days harder.  Went a full week sleeping at least 5-6 hours until last night so I plan to hold again for a few days until my sleep evens out again.  Remaining as functional as possible is my main goal.  Probably going to take me quite a while to get to 0 but that’s ok if I can remain fairly high functioning. Wishing you the best with your new experiment! 

Hi, SS.

I switched 20% of my dose over to pharma liquid initially (8mg tablets and 2mg/ml liquid), but then I remembered about a week later I had some left over 5mg tablets so used those and have been under 10% in liquid form since then (5mg tablet and two 2 mg tablets).  Once I run out of 5mg tablets in near future, I will be back to around 15% liquid and work my way down until I drop another 2mg tablet then restart.  I will then be at 25% liquid (6mg tablets and 2mg/ml liquid).  Everytime I drop a 2mg tablet, I will be increasing my percentage in liquid.  At least that’s the plan for now.

I agree with the cautious/conservative approach and personally wish I had waited longer than 3 days after switching over to the combination of tablets and liquid before reducing.  Everyone’s body is different however.  I feel if I would have waited longer than 3 days to reduce, it would have personally been beneficial.  Erring on the safe side and waiting an additional week or two (instead of reducing) after switching dosage form seems wisest.  This way we are only changing one variable at a time.  If the switch is successful (and there is no uptick in symptoms) that’s great and you have only “lost” an extra week or two.

Yup yup!  :thumbsup:

I agree that conservative can be very beneficial, sorry to hear that you increased your suffering with that crossover.

I have 2mg tablets and make a homebrew with them, so I guess now it's actually 33.3% in liquid.  I was nervous when I went to that percentage but really didn't skip a beat -- so I'm erring on the side of going more quickly- something I've not been able to do throughout my taper.

My sig shows that I've been at this forever I'm anxious to not have lost weeks -- And that's me, right now.  It's so good to have a few viewpoints to allow people to see how personal this is, and how things can shift throughout this ordeal. 

I believe we'll all get there!

:)

SS

Hi everyone,

I just got COVID and I would like to know if it has any effect on our recovery and what can I expect regarding my W/D symptoms.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I just got COVID and I would like to know if it has any effect on our recovery and what can I expect regarding my W/D symptoms.

Thanks

I've had Covid twice in the past year and am triple vaxxed.  I'm lucky, or something, in that it didn't effect me at all with w/d.  I've had colds that were worse for me, and I know that much like w/d the virus can cause very different reactions in people.

It doesn't have to effect recovery has been my experience.  I hope that is true for you as well  :thumbsup:

SS