Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

I have had hyperacusis for about 1 1/2 years and hope it will diminish once my taper is done.  Doing the dishes is the worst unbearable flapping of my ear drums! Had to ditch the ticking bedroom clock too

It takes time after you're done with your taper, at least that is how it was for me.  It took me 2 years after jumping....but everyone is different.  Just know, you WILL heal from hyperacusis.  I know how bad it can be.  Mine was extreme.  The bottom line is, it is NOT permanent. 

It takes time after you're done with your taper, at least that is how it was for me.  It took me 2 years after jumping....but everyone is different.  Just know, you WILL heal from hyperacusis.  I know how bad it can be.  Mine was extreme.  The bottom line is, it is NOT permanent.

Thank you goga  :hug: mine is also seriously extreme its impacted my life something terrible, but its good to see some one that's healed from it posting. Its a big help to read this especially today, lots of stuff I don't need going on right now making thins even harder, but hey!! that's life ;) I sincerely hope your really  enjoying life and feel better with each waking moment its great to see people coming out the other side a lot better and recovering passing hope on  :) Thanks again it means a lot right now  :hug:

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Wow!! reading around hyperacusis and tinitus is very common during tapering, my tinnitus began being in unknown tolerenace withdrawal then kindled more time than I can count, also unknown as I was misdiagnosed lots of times for many year's. Got all around better while holding Diazepam dose for a long time and my excruciating  tinnitus went completely during the hold.  :yippee: I'm just remembering all this as I'm getting flash back memory ''total recall' of good stuuf and stuff I don't want to remember today  ::)

And this was after cutting down after getting off loads different benzos and of poly drugs by tapering or CT (Still didn't realise ALL drugs should be tapered, thanks Doctor Dick head  >:()  Then thought  my misdiagnosed ''illnesses'' were suddenly and mysteriously getting better while holding the lowered dose of Diazepam  ??? I was very ill for a while at start and and got worse for a while during the hold then began to improve bit by bit then quite quickly.I Got that well eventually that I flew to Cyprus in Greece to a meditation and Yoga retreat for my first holiday in many years, and did Yoga for the fisrt time ever and loved it  .  ;D

I Suddenly equated what was going on was ALL the fkn benzos and that the lowering and  the dose  was what was healing me all the time still unaware about the correct way to taper and tolerance, kindling etc, etc. Then cut down while on holiday too much and began to get odd symptom in a few day's I never had before but they went quickly and I was able to enjoy the holiday until the flight home. I felt terrible after lift off on the plane and I now know the cut I took was too much to fast and hyper sensitivity was slowly creeping in.  :o

Still blind to what was really happening I cut another 1mg then two weeks later more weird symptoms that I thought were my misdiagnose ''illnesses' flaring back up and I was wrong thinking it was the benzo but found BB and knew I wasn't. But I was still cutting way too fast following the''Ashton method'' that's when the tinnitus came back even worse with creeping hyperacusis, and got even worse when I carried on tapering by switching to a daily Micro taper then hit point super hell.  :D

The tenacious tinnitus makes the hyperacusis worse and the hyperacusis effects the tinnitus, so I decided to hold for months no matter how long it takes to stabilise then carry on tapering ( read the link in my signature). As I seen that during the long holds the tinnitus went completely so did my other extreme symptoms and I have many going on right now, and the taper was the trigger for the hyperacusis, too much too fast.

I was fine doing smaller cut and longer holds life was good but tying to base my taper on the ''norm'' on the forum screwed my over (again read all the other information on the link in my signature) But I can now say hand on heart remembering, then holding long enough to recover it will go completely after what I went through earlier on with tinnitus, for it to be so terrible then heal more than once.  :)

Then to unwittingly make the same mistakes yet again and get it again for the same reason, too much too fast where tapering and holding are concerned. And now raging hyperacusis which I never had until this taper and going to fast that now even a tiny cut is hell as I needed to stop cutting and hold which I'm doing right now at week 5 of the beginning of a very long hold.

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten:  :smitten:

When I had my recent wave, I had the hypercausis back again, it was very unpleasant, hearing is still acute but it has since settled a lot but when bad, birds chirping outside sound loud and the traffic down on the main road in the morning after waking is painful but worst of all are Saturday Night family shows on TV with all the loud music and clapping and cheering, it's horrible and when plates are pulled off the draining board and put into the kitchen cupboard, that's one sound that I really cannot stand, it's painful !!!

I remember when I hit 4 mg Valium equivalent and my hypercausis really was chronic, even the sound of a light switch click would go right through my body, even the click of the fridge and even the sound of my own bedsheets moving was heightened, it was hellish.

When I had my recent wave, I had the hypercausis back again, it was very unpleasant, hearing is still acute but it has since settled a lot but when bad, birds chirping outside sound loud and the traffic down on the main road in the morning after waking is painful but worst of all are Saturday Night family shows on TV with all the loud music and clapping and cheering, it's horrible and when plates are pulled off the draining board and put into the kitchen cupboard, that's one sound that I really cannot stand, it's painful !!!

I remember when I hit 4 mg Valium equivalent and my hypercausis really was chronic, even the sound of a light switch click would go right through my body, even the click of the fridge and even the sound of my own bedsheets moving was heightened, it was hellish.

That's exactly what happened to me when I hit 4mg Oscar  :( I have to turn the fridge off to enter the kitchen, my pillows sound like a war zone an even my hair moving is terrible, plastic rubbish bags, and every noise is painful and freaks me out. My fur lined slippers sound horrendous too, just everything and anything, I can't have a conversation as my voice as well as other peoples causes severe pain and jars my brain :'(

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Nova,

As unpleasant as it is, it will go away. Mine was horrible for a month but I'm finally seeing relief. It was so bad I couldn't talk. My own voice caused my ear drums to retract. I was horrified. I can talk now. Today I barely felt the hyperacusis. Not to say it won't come back to tease me, during which time I'll laugh and flip it the middle finger, but at least it's getting better.  :thumbsup:

Nova,

As unpleasant as it is, it will go away. Mine was horrible for a month but I'm finally seeing relief. It was so bad I couldn't talk. My own voice caused my ear drums to retract. I was horrified. I can talk now. Today I barely felt the hyperacusis. Not to say it won't come back to tease me, during which time I'll laugh and flip it the middle finger, but at least it's getting better.  :thumbsup:

Hi INDTA  :hug: I've had it for over a year now, some day's its slightly more tolerable but not that often at all :(

Hello everyone here, I'm glad to find you here.  I'm dealing with bad tinnitus as well like ear ache popping, whossing sound so uncomfortable and it affect my balance. Plus terrible headache pressure in head and pain in front of ear there's a joint or bone in there that is sore even on the back of my ear and throath, I don't know if this is normal while on withdrawal? Also o have constant sinus or blocked nose that it makes worse even my headache.  Please I need your opinion I'm so discomfort .  Not sure if medication for vertigo like serc can help cause I experiencing my balance is affected. Those are the worse symptoms that I have.  Anyone can give your opinion base in your experience Please to lighten my head. Thanks in advance,,mcm

I have more less the same symptoms my ears are clogged, mainly the left ear, some times some pain, in both, I feel like pressure on both which change randomly from one side to the other, I had to see the Dr 5 times,they did on me 2 hearing studies and in both shows that I was ok, DR got confused on my about my anxiety, I real feel very normal, my tinnitus increasing some times with no reason.

Nova  :smitten: So sorry your hypercausis has been that bad, it truly is a horrible thing to live with, I am amazed mine came back recently in this wave I am now getting over (hopefully).

I read magnesium helps this and eating BROWN RICE is good for this condition as it is high in magnesium  922mg which is 230% RDA per cup.

I hope this helps everyone heal from this hearing horror !!!!!!!!!

This ear stuff !!!!!  :o Mine eases for a short while very rarely  but never going away just its easier to bear and these last two days is back with a vengeance :D I know everything isn't linear, but I hope this settles down soon, ALL the various hypersensitive stuff ALL heightens at the same time I've noticed. Well at least in my case but the tinnitus and hyperacusis rage out of control when it kicks back up, hopefully it will pass soon. :-\

It drove me nuts like it is today the last time it all flared up and my upstairs neighbour is really noisy above my head today. :D But it could be that my perception is warped as happens with hypersensitivity, and it make me feel murderous towards him as it bumps up the benzo rage as well.  >:D Then I have to use a lot of energy not reacting and the stress levels escalate.

Its a vicious circle the days not over yet maybe it will suddenly turn around like these things do on times just as sudden as they kicked off but I'm not holding my breath the way I feel right now, it sounds like a load of dentist drills in my brain. And the noise from the tinnitus always makes the hyperacusis wordage as well, I hope others are finding some  ease with their symptoms today  :hug:

I was trying to figure out what might have tripped this lot off and its possibly from a helicopter unexpectedly hovering over my home for an hour the second I got in to bed just over a week ago. I was just beginning to feel good then that happened and its gone down hill from there I think, it was like being dropped into a war zone :D but these can can happen for no reason too but mine seems to fit in to that day ??? Or maybe its not  :-\ who can ever be sure the way waves crash.

That's so true, Nova.  Who can ever be sure which way the waves crash or why.  Sorry you are having such trouble.  I think you've said that in the past your T has gone away completely after stabilizing your dosage for a time.  That must be a source of great hope for you.  Just hearing it is for me, speaking as one for whom the T has never gone away since the whole mess started. 

I'm benzo free 15 months today and the hyperacusis has definitely improved -- I'm very, very thankful for that.  The improvement has been unbelievably slow and I still have brief flare ups, which usually seem to coincide with worsening tinnitus.  Can't really say the T has improved that much beyond me getting more used to it.  Also have continuing problems with pressure and a blocked sensation -- all of this primarily in my left ear.

Here's a question.  Has anyone experienced worsening T and/or other ear symptoms when you get a "traditional" illness, like a virus?

That's so true, Nova.  Who can ever be sure which way the waves crash or why.  Sorry you are having such trouble.  I think you've said that in the past your T has gone away completely after stabilizing your dosage for a time.  That must be a source of great hope for you.  Just hearing it is for me, speaking as one for whom the T has never gone away since the whole mess started. 

I'm benzo free 15 months today and the hyperacusis has definitely improved -- I'm very, very thankful for that.  The improvement has been unbelievably slow and I still have brief flare ups, which usually seem to coincide with worsening tinnitus.  Can't really say the T has improved that much beyond me getting more used to it.  Also have continuing problems with pressure and a blocked sensation -- all of this primarily in my left ear.

Here's a question.  Has anyone experienced worsening T and/or other ear symptoms when you get a "traditional" illness, like a virus?

Nova --

I, too, have experienced improvement already. You took them for quite sometime. Don't lose the faith.

My T is worse again, but I also started taking Buspar yesterday in an effort to cling onto relief hoping it'll help. My hyperacusis ebbs and flows, and that's better than constant like before, so, we have to deduce it will go away like everything else does.

Multiflux,

15 months! Wow. I can't wait to say that some day. How do you feel overall compared to early on?

A few years ago I got the flu with a 101 degree fever. My tinnitus was really loud the first day while my temperature was going up, but once the flu was established, it got really quiet, the quietest it has ever been. Then when my fever left it went back up again. This was long before I started tapering benzos.

Here's a question. Has anyone experienced worsening T and/or other ear symptoms when you get a "traditional" illness, like a virus?

Hi Multiflux  :hug:  A virus puts everyone on their back and ramps up sxs big time, and both my delivery guys have come here ill with different ones the last few weeks so I was even wondering if I had picked one of theirs up and can't tell due to be symptomatic anyway?? Along with the bloody chopper episode, and my sister was here for a short time 2 weeks ago and now all her  kids have got a stomach flu virus with diarrhoea, and I get stressed about incubation periods of viruses and people unwittingly carrying a virus and passing it on without being ill their self.

And my stomachs been doggy the last few day's but it could be because all my symptoms are flaring up and my T hyperacusis is getting worse by the day the last few days. I was blessed in unknown at the time tolerance withdarwal which was misdiagnosed for years to be surrounded by people with viruses including living with my ex who had a severe Flu bug, and not get sick.  :sick:

Now I know what's wrong and my taper has been hell all the way I'm paranoid and scared of being hit by one as I now know how bad they effect us at this time during withdrwal, recovery and healing. And I've got a protracted cough I've had since this time last year, its a symptom others have from withdrwal as well coughing and sneezing fits so it maybe be hard to work out what's what even if I did.

But this week I've coughed up mucus which I haven't had before but others have as a symptom. I also get the dreaded 'Benzo flu'' frequently as well, that's gone on for yaer's it began in tolerance withdrwal and I couldn't understand as some one who rarely got the flu I was getting it practically every week or two? I know different now. I hope you feel better soon I'm sorry you got a virus but most people report things lift about a week after the virus gets better, I wish you speedy healing my friend :)

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks Nova.  That's great info, particularly about things typically lifting about a week after recovering from an illness.  I feel better from the bug now, but the ear sxs still seem ramped up.  But it's so hard to say exactly what's going on.  I still get waves that last longer than I'd expect and improvement is so very slow that I can't really tell if I'm improving over time or just learning to live with the T and the other ear symptoms (which for me have been the biggest problem since the beginning).

I'm sorry you're having a tough time right now.  It's so hard to know what is behind the crashing waves and windows that sometimes seem so brief that I wonder if they were really there.  Makes me think that it's maybe 50% actual specific causes and 50% just the random nature of this F'ing hell.

Hi Everyone,

Is anyone have similar symptoms like mine,  sore throat blocked nose ear pain in front and back and feels like air popping in and out of my ear with head pressure plus headache only in one side and it seems like toothache as well but not sure. so irritable is this withdrawal symptoms or cuase by a viral infection? 

Regards, mcm

Hi Everyone,

Is anyone have similar symptoms like mine,  sore throat blocked nose ear pain in front and back and feels like air popping in and out of my ear with head pressure plus headache only in one side and it seems like toothache as well but not sure. so irritable is this withdrawal symptoms or cuase by a viral infection? 

Regards, mcm

Hi Mcm  :hug: I have all the above and I get sporadic  loss of hearing, and symptoms seem worse one side than the other then it changes over and my ear drum keeps banging and sound like a bomb going off in my head, so don't worry all this abnormal bizarre stuff is actually ''normal' plus I got other ear symptoms as well. Some days are better than others but I'm in the middle of a few really bad ones right now where my ears and a few other things are concerned  ::)

Thanks Nova for your Respose, so sorry that you're suffering too.. Hope it will subside soon.  I have pain in the neck too same side and throat. My Dr. Said I have viral infection a week ago but didn't take AB yet. I don't want to aggreviate my S/x don't know what to do. Regards, Mcm

Thanks Nova for your Respose, so sorry that you're suffering too.. Hope it will subside soon.  I have pain in the neck too same side and throat. My Dr. Said I have viral infection a week ago but didn't take AB yet. I don't want to aggreviate my S/x don't know what to do. Regards, Mcm

Hi Mcm  :hug: I can't understand why you were given Antibiotics for a virus as they don't work, Antibiotics do not kill viruses and using them to treat viral infections just leads to antibiotic resistance. There are only a few antiviral medications available to treat very specific viruses, and they are not always effective, antibiotics are only for Bacterial infections.

The Difference between Bacterial and Viral Infection http://www.differencebetween.net/science/health/the-difference-between-bacterial-and-viral-infection/

Hello All,

Back at the beginning of this thread there was a recommendation in regard to ACRN protocol.

Just a quick FYI: I have tinnitus and the ACRN protocol (http://generalfuzz.net/acrn/) does works for me. However, I am stuck to my computer because I can not figure out a way to record the program I designed and then transfer to my iPhone.  I was wondering is there anyone out there that has a recommendation how to record the ACRN program to a Mac and then transfer to an iPhone?

Cheers,

Adie

Hello All,

Back at the beginning of this thread there was a recommendation in regard to ACRN protocol.

Just a quick FYI: I have tinnitus and the ACRN protocol (http://generalfuzz.net/acrn/) does works for me. However, I am stuck to my computer because I can not figure out a way to record the program I designed and then transfer to my iPhone.  I was wondering is there anyone out there that has a recommendation how to record the ACRN program to a Mac and then transfer to an iPhone?

Cheers,

Adie

Try here in the tech support section Adie :)http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=68.0

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: