Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

Wow! right back overcomer  " Sometimes I don't even want to talk as my own voice echos through my head."

I thought I was the only one feeling that one.  :-X  Lately I find that I have been speaking very softly. Now and then someone will tell me they didn't hear what I said. Luckily, I don't have to be around many people. In fact since all of this started I actually avoid people as much as possible.

Dreamgirl:  Ditto to everything you said!  That is my life.  For the past few weeks during the c/o from temazepam to V all the hearing things improved immensely, but I had an upsetting week and also began my .5mg V taper. All my s/x seem to be heightened this week which includes  the tinnitus and Hyperacussis (sp).  Just swallowing creates echoing and I am having difficulty wearing my glasses again, as the feel  of the frames on my scalp, just above the ears feels like it is putting tremendous pressure on my head. 

I have heard discussed on other forums that the s/xs can come and go.  Once they leave, I wish they would stay gone!!! I hate benzos!!!

Overcomer  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Finally...A PERFECT DAY so far. I am at 1.87 Mg's of Valium planning a slow cut and hold taper. Yesterday I was about to blow my brains out from unrelenting tinnitus so go figure.

I have 4 levels of thought

1. It will NEVER GO AWAY....and it's ruining me ....MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT WAKE UP....SCREECHING >:D

2. Its there but I am not done tapering or nor have been off. GOTTA CALM DOWN and be patient. This is 90% of the time. :-[

3, It's there but manageable.......I could live with this  ::)  6% of the time

4. Started taper Sept 20...Tinnitis was my first w/d symptom....been a daily COMPANION....some does horrendous, some days manageable but I forget what life was like until today....I know it will be back...maybe with a vengeance but I am ENJOYING TODAY :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .5% of the time....LOL

Hi all,

I want to join in here.  I've had issues with my ears all my life, so now my ears are very sensitive.  I guess I've had bouts of tinnitus my whole life, but didn't know what it was called until I saw this thread.  I used to describe it to my mom as a train whistle in my ear.  Usually it occurs only 2 to 3 times per year and it's gone in less than a minute.  I started tapering last week, and I've already had 3 or 4 bouts this week.  Again, very short in duration, and not too terrible, but does this mean this is going to plague me and get worse?  Oh my word!!!

Thanks!

Rabbit

Hi all,

I want to join in here.  I've had issues with my ears all my life, so now my ears are very sensitive.  I guess I've had bouts of tinnitus my whole life, but didn't know what it was called until I saw this thread.  I used to describe it to my mom as a train whistle in my ear.  Usually it occurs only 2 to 3 times per year and it's gone in less than a minute.  I started tapering last week, and I've already had 3 or 4 bouts this week.  Again, very short in duration, and not too terrible, but does this mean this is going to plague me and get worse?  Oh my word!!!

Thanks!

Rabbit

Hi rabbit, I hope you get lucky and don't get tinnitus at the level we have here in this group.  As you taper lower it may happen.  All you can try is tapering slower as that sometimes helps people with tinnitus.

Let use know how you do on your taper and we are here for you.

Hugs Lisa  :smitten:

Hi Birdman, Did you ever think about CROSSING OVER TO VALIUM.....it takes about 10-12 days substituting Valium for Ativan....a different benzo with a long half life would allow for once a day dosing. I only suggest this as per ASHTON and I have been OK with it. You can still micro taper or use a scale or liquid Valium at low doses. 2Mg's of Ativan is 20 Mg's of Valium so 1.87 is @ 17 mg of Valium....still a large dose and that's 4-5 more months if you go slow. Just a thought to my SMART and DEAR friend.  :smitten: NSH  PS Somewhere I might have read you had tried that, not sure?

Thank you Birdman.  I think it's stopped for now.  I sure hope it doesn't get as bad as this group, that scares me.  I don't see how I could work with that.  It wasn't painful, just was kinda there today for that short period.  Does yours hurt you?

Don't worry about pain Rabbit. Tinnitus is just an auditory reaction in the brain. It is not really even in the ears. Tinnitus is a subjective thing. That is why everyone seems to describe it differently. It is a phantom sound. It is a noise in the brain that is not received from any external auditory stimulus. You will notice that if you plug your ears with your fingers you can knock out all outside sound, but the tinnitus is still there loud and clear. In fact it is probably even a little louder since you have blocked out some of the masking affect from "real" sound sources.  :-X For me, the worst part is that there is no cure or test that will evaluate the severity or other characteristics like all of the many ways we each try to describe what we are "hearing". Because of this forum I am trying to believe it will go away.  :) I just had my one year anniversary yesterday. Happy Tinnitus Day.  :P :P :P :P

Deammovie, I just had another bout of tinnitus, it didn't last long, only about a minute.  Geez, seems like this is going to be a regular thing.  It is a strange symptom, but one that seems to very common in benzo w/d and I just started my taper a week ago.  Seems weird that cutting such a tiny amount (.0625mg) from a whopping 3mg dose of Xanax could have this kind of effect so quickly.

Hi BirdMan (or anyone else)

I asked a question a page or two ago that I think got lost in the shuffle -- can anyone point me towards a good pair of bone conduction headphones to buy? An amazon link is fine, or even just the make/model of a pair you like....

Xerxes if you look back in this thread I believe Birdman posted an amazon link. Tedious, I know. Or you could PM her directly.

Okatz

Hi Birdman, Did you ever think about CROSSING OVER TO VALIUM.....it takes about 10-12 days substituting Valium for Ativan....a different benzo with a long half life would allow for once a day dosing. I only suggest this as per ASHTON and I have been OK with it. You can still micro taper or use a scale or liquid Valium at low doses. 2Mg's of Ativan is 20 Mg's of Valium so 1.87 is @ 17 mg of Valium....still a large dose and that's 4-5 more months if you go slow. Just a thought to my SMART and DEAR friend.  :smitten: NSH  PS Somewhere I might have read you had tried that, not sure?

Hi NSH,  I am so afraid of valium. The last time I had valium in me was in my failed cold turkey rush taper.

My addiction doc does things a whole lot different.  I am learning a lot from the guy.  Rather than doing a slow cross over he will switch you in one day flat with a Mega dose of valium.  So let's say you are jumping to valium at the 5 mg point.  It takes 7 days to get the valium in you so he will have you stop the other benzo cold and then the next day take 35mgs of valium all at once and then the next day on to 5 mgs per day steady.  Now you have a LOT of valium in your blood stream all at once.  That's the way the pro's do it so I'm told ;D  No messing around with a slow crossover :thumbsup:  Bring up the blood valium level to maximum and your done, on to the next patient, talk about a freaking assembly line  :laugh:

Thanks for thinking of me NSH  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi BirdMan (or anyone else)

I asked a question a page or two ago that I think got lost in the shuffle -- can anyone point me towards a good pair of bone conduction headphones to buy? An amazon link is fine, or even just the make/model of a pair you like....

Hi Xerxes,  Sorry when I go away I am gone from here for a while at times.  The ebay link is cheaper but it's way back there buried in the back links.  Can I request thumb-nails in the way the past links are viewed?  :laugh:

Let me know if you find them.

Bird :smitten:

Hi NSH,  I am so afraid of valium. The last time I had valium in me was in my failed cold turkey rush taper.

My addiction doc does things a whole lot different.  I am learning a lot from the guy.  Rather than doing a slow cross over he will switch you in one day flat with a Mega dose of valium.  So let's say you are jumping to valium at the 5 mg point.  It takes 7 days to get the valium in you so he will have you stop the other benzo cold and then the next day take 35mgs of valium all at once and then the next day on to 5 mgs per day steady.  Now you have a LOT of valium in your blood stream all at once.  That's the way the pro's do it so I'm told ;D  No messing around with a slow crossover :thumbsup:  Bring up the blood valium level to maximum and your done, on to the next patient, talk about a freaking assembly line  :laugh:

Hey Birdman,

Well on the surface that seems to make sense.  Can any of you scientific types out there poke holes in this?  Birdy, no disrespect meant, just looking for opinions on this line of thinking. 

Rabbit

Hey Birdman,

Well on the surface that seems to make sense.  Can any of you scientific types out there poke holes in this?  Birdy, no disrespect meant, just looking for opinions on this line of thinking. 

Rabbit

Hi rabbit, you should start a topic on in the taper forum on the topic.  Not many people come in into this thread these days.

Good luck :smitten:

Hey Birdman,

Rabbit

Hi rabbit, you should start a topic on in the taper forum on the topic.  Not many people come in into this thread these days.

Birdy, do you mind if I quote you?

Thanks!  Rabbit

Hey Birdman,

Rabbit

Birdy, do you mind if I quote you?

Thanks!  Rabbit

Hi, you will be quoting my doctor not me. ;D  That's OK :thumbsup:

Don't worry about pain Rabbit. Tinnitus is just an auditory reaction in the brain. It is not really even in the ears. Tinnitus is a subjective thing. That is why everyone seems to describe it differently. It is a phantom sound. It is a noise in the brain that is not received from any external auditory stimulus. You will notice that if you plug your ears with your fingers you can knock out all outside sound, but the tinnitus is still there loud and clear. In fact it is probably even a little louder since you have blocked out some of the masking affect from "real" sound sources.  :-X For me, the worst part is that there is no cure or test that will evaluate the severity or other characteristics like all of the many ways we each try to describe what we are "hearing". Because of this forum I am trying to believe it will go away.  :) I just had my one year anniversary yesterday. Happy Tinnitus Day.  :P :P :P :P

Hi DM,  I wish it was only sound, my tinnitus gives me ear pain just like an infection wound.  There is definitely some swelling of the cochlea and vestibular going on from the glutamate stress.  They say we have gaba receptors in the inner ear too.  Can't find data to back that up however. Not many studies done :(

Hello Fellow Ear Ringers !

Do any of you ever feel like your ears are bleeding or leaking water? I get that weird sensation every once in a while along with the crazy loud ringing that is always there. Sometimes the ringing is so loud I can hear it over other ambient noises. This whole withdrawal thing is really a lovely package isn't it?

Patrick

Hello Fellow Ear Ringers !

Do any of you ever feel like your ears are bleeding or leaking water? I get that weird sensation every once in a while along with the crazy loud ringing that is always there. Sometimes the ringing is so loud I can hear it over other ambient noises. This whole withdrawal thing is really a lovely package isn't it?

Patrick

YES ama732mx1, I have felt that fluid feeling. Thought I had a broken ear drum.  But it's just ear and brain sensitively going nuts.  Benzo's are the worst! 

God just get me out of this one.

Hate the tinnitus and hypercussis!  The sound of a fork hitting the plate sends me up the wall and I can hardly bear the sound of my own voice inside my head, it hurts and echos.  This is crazy!

Hate the tinnitus and hypercussis!  The sound of a fork hitting the plate sends me up the wall and I can hardly bear the sound of my own voice inside my head, it hurts and echos.  This is crazy!

the clanking of the dishes and silverware is unbeliveaby painful. i can't wait for the day :)

i have to plug up my ears like 20 times per day. i still can't believe i escaped having the tinnitus. very rare do i get it.

My situation is a little different because my tinnitus started prior to benzos.  But I was wondering if anyone else has a completely different sound in each ear.  The noise in my left ear is completely different than the noise in my right ear.  Talk about driving a person crazy!

PD

Hey PD    Yes, each ear is a different pitch. Both are sine waves but the right side is about 8k  and the left about a 5th of a tone lower. But the middle is always the same steam kettle sound. About a week ago I woke up and there was no sound at all on the left side. I thought that perhaps the miracle was finally beginning to happen. But after getting up the noise came back. The next day it was all REALLY LOUD. That lasted for two days and now it is just plain annoying again. :-\:o