Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

My situation is a little different because my tinnitus started prior to benzos.  But I was wondering if anyone else has a completely different sound in each ear.  The noise in my left ear is completely different than the noise in my right ear.  Talk about driving a person crazy!

PD

Yes, PD.  My left ear has it bad all the time but when the right ear starts up its a different sound.  I call it DOLBY sound, sounds very 3D.

Nasty!!  I hate ear probables in withdrawal.  I'd gladly trade some anxiety for a little silence. 

Any one want to trade me  :laugh:

Hate the tinnitus and hypercussis!  The sound of a fork hitting the plate sends me up the wall and I can hardly bear the sound of my own voice inside my head, it hurts and echos.  This is crazy!

Overcomer  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

the clanking of the dishes and silverware is unbeliveaby painful. i can't wait for the day :)

i have to plug up my ears like 20 times per day. i still can't believe i escaped having the tinnitus. very rare do i get it.

Hi Pretty,  I hope you do not end up like many of us do.  The pattern is usually hypercussis first then tinnitus later in the healing cylce.  When I had hypercussis in acute the tinnitus did not bother me then the hypercussis went away and left me with only tinnitus.

I pray for you,  I pray for us all  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hey PD    Yes, each ear is a different pitch. Both are sine waves but the right side is about 8k  and the left about a 5th of a tone lower. But the middle is always the same steam kettle sound. About a week ago I woke up and there was no sound at all on the left side. I thought that perhaps the miracle was finally beginning to happen. But after getting up the noise came back. The next day it was all REALLY LOUD. That lasted for two days and now it is just plain annoying again. :-\:o

Hi DM,  mine is at 11k  like a high pitch jet turbine maxing out or a dog whistle.  NASTY!!  Like it's digging into my brain.

Listening to it amps me up. I have to mask the sound or I go mad.

Yes the tinnitus in each ear is different, worse in the left ear, rings kind of circular like.  I have had tinnitus pre benzos also but it gets much worse with anxiety.  Every time I w/d from an a/d the tinnitus would get worse.  Then in tolerance K w/d it got worse and now it is back.  The hyperacussis left for a few weeks, but it is back at times now to.  Oh lordy, what we are going through. 

xo Overcomer  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hate the tinnitus and hypercussis!  The sound of a fork hitting the plate sends me up the wall and I can hardly bear the sound of my own voice inside my head, it hurts and echos.  This is crazy!

the clanking of the dishes and silverware is unbeliveaby painful. i can't wait for the day :)

i have to plug up my ears like 20 times per day. i still can't believe i escaped having the tinnitus. very rare do i get it.

Hi Pretty,  I hope you do not end up like many of us do.  The pattern is usually hypercussis first then tinnitus later in the healing cylce.  When I had hypercussis in acute the tinnitus did not bother me then the hypercussis went away and left me with only tinnitus.

i definitely have the sound difference in my left ear and it feels more sensitive and painful. i sure hope i don't get the tinnitus. i do get it sometimes and i can completely see how it would be scary and drive a person nuts. hyperacusis is no dream symptom either. i wondered why i was spared of the tinnitus for now? i sure understand that Dolby sound and sometimes it just feels and sounds like i have bionic ears or like really good high tech hearing aid is in my ears.

i just started some L-theanine to hopefully combat some of that excess glutamate. it's in this Chinese Herb called 'Tao In A Bottle"... it has other chinese herbs in it that are adaptogen's. i'm just taking 2 per day for right now. i also read that niacin can help the excess glutamate and help the GABA. i may check it out.

i definitely have the sound difference in my left ear and it feels more sensitive and painful. i sure hope i don't get the tinnitus. i do get it sometimes and i can completely see how it would be scary and drive a person nuts. hyperacusis is no dream symptom either. i wondered why i was spared of the tinnitus for now? i sure understand that Dolby sound and sometimes it just feels and sounds like i have bionic ears or like really good high tech hearing aid is in my ears.

i just started some L-theanine to hopefully combat some of that excess glutamate. it's in this Chinese Herb called 'Tao In A Bottle"... it has other chinese herbs in it that are adaptogen's. i'm just taking 2 per day for right now. i also read that niacin can help the excess glutamate and help the GABA. i may check it out.

Hi Pretty, I just start taking Lipoic acid tablets for the same reason.  Read this:

Glutamate Toxicity: Lipoic acid, protects cells from glutamate toxicity. L-cysteine is the rate limiting amino acid for the synthesis of glutathione. L-cysteine can be taken up from the extracellular milieu both as L-cysteine and L-cystine. These two forms are transferred into the cell by different uptake mechanisms. L-cystine is transported primarily by the Xc- system and L-cysteine is transported primarily by the ASC system. Different cell types have different relative dependence on these two channels. The sensitivity of a cell to glutamate toxicity can be correlated to its dependency on the Xc- system. L-glutamate is a competitive inhibitor for uptake of L-cystine by the Xc- system and for cells that primarily utilize the Xc- system high glutamate concentrations can reduce the rate of glutathione synthesis. If the production of glutathione is suppressed apoptosis can occur. Lipoic acid helps protect the cell from glutamate induced apoptosis by reducing extracellular L-cystine to L-cysteine. This increased ratio of L-cysteine to L-cystine reduces dependency upon the Xc- system and increases the effectiveness of the ASC system.

Then there is the reason we have all these ear s/x  OXIDATIVE STRESS

Glucose Mimetic: Lipoic acid helps cells overcome oxidative stress-induced insulin-resistance. The uptake of glucose into cells is regulated by a family of hexose-specific GLUT transporters. GLUT-4 is a very important member of the GLUT transporters family because its activity is regulated by insulin. Insulin is frequently added to low-serum and serum-free cell cultures. Oxidative stress can induce cells to become insulin resistant by interfering with the insulin signaling pathway that regulates the activation of GLUT-4. Lipoic acid has been shown to overcome oxidative stress-induced insulin-resistance in vitro. Under conditions of oxidative stress, lipoic acid may replace insulin as an agent that supports increased glucose uptake mediated by the GLUT-4 transporter.

REF:  http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/life-science/cell-culture/learning-center/media-expert/lipoic-acid.html

yeah, yet another good supplement to buy :laugh:  :smitten:

great!

so it's lipoic acid and NOT alpha lipoic acid? or is it the same thing? which brand do you use? what do you think about the niacin?

let me know what you think of this brand by Dr. Ben? Dr. Ben has http://mthfr.net/contact/

and here are his supplements. i would be careful that the alpha lipoc acid is a sulfur containing compound and also eliminates toxic heavy metals. only because ome people going through benzo withdrawal have had setbacks by detoxifying too fast. the BB member 'watersong' is one of them. anyway, i am willing to try this in small amounts -- let me know what you think of this brand?

http://www.seekinghealth.com/alpha-lipoic-acid-supplement.html

great!

so it's lipoic acid and NOT alpha lipoic acid? or is it the same thing? which brand do you use? what do you think about the niacin?

let me know what you think of this brand by Dr. Ben? Dr. Ben has http://mthfr.net/contact/

and here are his supplements. i would be careful that the alpha lipoc acid is a sulfur containing compound and also eliminates toxic heavy metals. only because ome people going through benzo withdrawal have had setbacks by detoxifying too fast. the BB member 'watersong' is one of them. anyway, i am willing to try this in small amounts -- let me know what you think of this brand?

Yes it the same or a-lipoc acid too. I take source naturals brand.    This med has a long history of protection from glutamate with lots of studies.  I take niacin.  I also think B1 is very over looked so I double up on that one too.

great!

Yes it the same or a-lipoc acid too. I take source naturals brand.    This med has a long history of protection from glutamate with lots of studies.  I take niacin.  I also think B1 is very over looked so I double up on that one too.

i just got some alpha lipoic acid Jarrow brand w/Biotin today. haven't started it yet. hope that's an okay brand? what brand and how much of the niacin do you take? i may start that too. do you feel a difference from taking the lipoic acid?

what is B1 important for? thanks for all your help! :)

great!

i just got some alpha lipoic acid Jarrow brand w/Biotin today. haven't started it yet. hope that's an okay brand? what brand and how much of the niacin do you take? i may start that too. do you feel a difference from taking the lipoic acid?

what is B1 important for? thanks for all your help! :)

I do not feel any big difference but I think all those things take months and do help us heal.  Even the studies on taking B1 are done for 2 months or more.

Here is a good read on B1 and the brain from my bookmark archive - http://www.now-university.com/Library/HealthConcerns/MentalFitnessMoodSupport/090102.htm

Enjoy :smitten: :smitten:

Hi Birdman and Group, Cut to 1.5 mg Valium two days ago. I know the Valium is leaving as old aches and pains are {familiar one} are back....low back , right hip. Nothing terrible and truthfully they are a WELCOME sign. The Valium is such a great muscle relaxant I felt invincible exercise wise but not worth it.

My tinnitus was gone last two day and I tried the Alpha LIPOIC ACID...made it return for three hours. I am getting a new herbalist and supplement maven....even if I love Lisa's RESEARCH articles I am nixing it all until I am off. Plan is 1.5  to 1.25  to 1 to 0.5 so I guess it could be 40 more days at this homeopathic dosing but it's how you arrive at OFF that counts for sure. The body will mourn the loss of the Valium but I want a short quick and relatively pain funeral for it  :idiot::-\:P

Everyone here is in my prayers, NSH

Hi Birdman and Group, Cut to 1.5 mg Valium two days ago. I know the Valium is leaving as old aches and pains are {familiar one} are back....low back , right hip. Nothing terrible and truthfully they are a WELCOME sign. The Valium is such a great muscle relaxant I felt invincible exercise wise but not worth it.

My tinnitus was gone last two day and I tried the Alpha LIPOIC ACID...made it return for three hours. I am getting a new herbalist and supplement maven....even if I love Lisa's RESEARCH articles I am nixing it all until I am off. Plan is 1.5  to 1.25  to 1 to 0.5 so I guess it could be 40 more days at this homeopathic dosing but it's how you arrive at OFF that counts for sure. The body will mourn the loss of the Valium but I want a short quick and relatively pain funeral for it  :idiot::-\:P

Everyone here is in my prayers, NSH

Hi NSH,  Go easy,  Don't let the Glutamate wolf bite you :thumbsup:

Hugs Bird

Whoever coined the phrase "waiting for the other shoe to drop" was right on. After a 3 really good days the cut to 1.5 Mg's of Valium has been accompanied by incessant loud tinnitus which has kept me connected to ear buds or head phones every waking and SLEEPING hour. I really thought the worst was over but boy was I wrong. So I guess my only option is to keep on doing what I was doing. I am getting close to thinking about supplements like Theanine and Taurine and other glutamate suppressors.  Got close to my wits end early today. I will add Zinc and Ginkgo as well. Anyone have any supplements they really felt helped?

Regards to all,

NSH

Hi NSH, I never found a supplement that helped the tinnitus :'(

Ear buds and the like helped me greatly and if it got really bad I would push back with louder pink noise, it numbs out my ears by desensitizing the audio cortex. Loud pink noise is not as bad as loud music as far as hearing damage.  EXAMPLE: We do not here Tinnitus in the shower. That's because a shower can produce 130 DB but since it's pink or white noise it can't damage hearing.  Loud music is a different story since it has concentrated highs!  Try a long session of loud white or pink noise. It helps me for 20 or 30 minutes after by desensitizing the audio cortex and potentiating GABA ;D

They say to avoid sugar but sugar helped me. The combination of cold and sugar helped me so I ate a lot of fruit pop sickles.  While I was eating one I had a odd sensation of relaxation for some reason that lasted for some time after.

Also sugar transport helps the brain get rid of excess glutamate. Try to only use fructose. Low blood sugar concentrates glutamate around neurons more.  Do not diet and taper.  Expect to gain some weight to make the taper more comfortable  ;D

Tinnitus is a tough s/x since it's such a tender balance even in a non-excited brain.

Hope this helps ;)

Hugs  :smitten:

Bird

Thanks Birdman , without doubt you are clearly the resident expert on TINNITUS....an area that no one knows an effin' thing  about it as to combat it except the maskers etc. I need to be grateful that its my only symptom that really impossible to deal with. Like you have researched the issue and like you have come to exactly the same conclusions. I hate white or pink noise as it boring....even the videos on you tube of the shower or natures sounds while they give relief are also mind numbing boredom. I have lost the upper range of my hearing on audiology tests and have been prescribed hearing aids. If I use them and turn the TV up loud if my wife is not home the tinnitus becomes manageable on "good" days. I am proceeding with my taper which surely will be another 40 days.....that's slow as per your advice.

Hugs to you :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

NSH

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Birdie. I feel better after carbs in general. Does a good baked potato have the same effect? Or how about some complex carbs before bed to keep the blood sugar leveled out through the night? Basically, don't have peaks and valleys that resemble an EKG throughout the day? High protein with carbs? Is that right? I think I'm just rambling. :idiot:;)

I've been living with drug-induced tinnitus since 1987. It worried me a lot at first and I thought it was a sign I was losing my mind, but I decided early on I wasn't going to let it get the best of me.

It's a ringing/buzzing noise that can best be described as the sound Cicada make when they come out. It's the same level and sound in each ear, but sometimes changes tone to more of a ringing than a buzzing.

It usually doesn't bother me but is there at some level from the time I wake up in the morning till I go to sleep at night. It's least noticeable in the morning but gets louder and more distracting the more tired I get, and there have been times I've gone to bed just to get some relief. I've never tried earplugs, white noise,  or any of the preparations they sell for it.

I live in an apartment building so anytime I listen to music it has to be though earphones or earbuds, but it makes it worse to the point I rarely ever listen to music anymore.

Hey Birdie. I feel better after carbs in general. Does a good baked potato have the same effect? Or how about some complex carbs before bed to keep the blood sugar leveled out through the night? Basically, don't have peaks and valleys that resemble an EKG throughout the day? High protein with carbs? Is that right? I think I'm just rambling. :idiot:;)

Hi Sno, baked potato is the best!  Good for you too. If you need carbs corn and potato is the top choice.  Pasta is made with flour and wheat gluten is not so good.  Corn and potato gluten are not so bad. The BEST is OATS,  High carb and very little gluten.  The funny part about LOW gluten products is after they strip the gluten away they add corn and potato gluten back in.  Gluten free only means WHEAT gluten free 99% of the time :( :( :(\

A loaf of bread with zero gluten is a lie.  It would fall apart like a pile of sand.  They have to put OTHER glutins back in.  Potato's and oat meal rules the healthy carb world :thumbsup:

I've been living with drug-induced tinnitus since 1987. It worried me a lot at first and I thought it was a sign I was losing my mind, but I decided early on I wasn't going to let it get the best of me.

It's a ringing/buzzing noise that can best be described as the sound Cicada make when they come out. It's the same level and sound in each ear, but sometimes changes tone to more of a ringing than a buzzing.

It usually doesn't bother me but is there at some level from the time I wake up in the morning till I go to sleep at night. It's least noticeable in the morning but gets louder and more distracting the more tired I get, and there have been times I've gone to bed just to get some relief. I've never tried earplugs, white noise,  or any of the preparations they sell for it.

I live in an apartment building so anytime I listen to music it has to be though earphones or earbuds, but it makes it worse to the point I rarely ever listen to music anymore.

Hey persona27,  what drug gave you the ototoxic damage in 1987??

Hey persona27,  what drug gave you the ototoxic damage in 1987??

A large quantity of Cocaine.

Sorry to hear that :'( :'( :'( :'(