Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

Birdman,

There is a lot of literature on Kava. It can be mild or as potent as you want. Traditionally it was used in rituals in the Pacfic. It has given me relief at times.  I found the best is in tinture form. So you can adjust dosages as you like. I use extra strength kava kava root tinture by gaia herbs. I get it at the local helth store Max Nutrition. It has 25mg of the kavakactones per 10 drops.  Depending how bad I am I take up to 30 drops. My pdoc said not to get scared about the reports on the web about potential liver problems with long term use.  He said the study that said this was flawed but once the word was out too late.  He told me not to worry.  So I dont..  I hope this helps.

Love Island...

Birdman, Kanna is not a well known herb, but it's definitely in my top 10!  :thumbsup:  It was like a miracle for me.  It is very effective for both anxiety and depression, and for some people like me, also helps with sleep.  Who knows, it might even help the tinnitus.  I say give it a try!  :)

PD

PD,

1. What type of Kanna do you use? I mean do you use root, tinctur or pills?

2. How much do you use?

3.  Do you have to use it every day or as needed?

Love IslandGirl

Birdman,

Another masker question. Are you suppose to be able turn the sound completely down? My husband can only adjust it so far.  The loudness of the ear plug drives hi bonkers too.   

bridman,

i just talked all about the too much serotonin and tryptophan issue on my blog.

my posts on here are ignored so i'm leaving this thread.

Hi Pretty, Can you please repost your work here? I am sure people here would love to see it.  I would be interested in your info on serotonin and tryptophan info. I am searching for answers and help just like you.

Please repost it here,  PRETTY PLEASE with a cherry on top ;D;):)

sorry -- hate when i become cranky like this :D i had sent two people on here a direct question PM and no response then a whole slew of being ignored on the homefront makes me lose it sometimes. especially when the brain squeeze's are so severe and hyperacusis hurts so deeply.

it was mainly the hyperacusis symptom that pretty much becomes debiliting for me at times and i don't know how to deal with it and want it to just go away. i also think that the hyperacusis folks don't have as much clout as the tinnitus folk. seems like there are way more "tinnitus" sufferers than hyperacusis and let me tell you --lately it's been debilitating. i am constantly plugging my ears and i don't want to live like that.

i had posted a bunch of stuff about 3 days ago on my blog about how too much serotonin can cause excess glutamate and typtophan being toxic and can possibly cause tinnitus. but i don't think too many people are into the 'Ray Peat' way so they either get scared of what he has to say or just think he is wrong. i've been reading hundreds of his articles and the other people/doctor's/PH.D's in his corner and i really adhere to all he has to say about the serotonin and trytophan and other things.

bridman,

i just talked all about the too much serotonin and tryptophan issue on my blog.

my posts on here are ignored so i'm leaving this thread.

Hi Pretty, Can you please repost your work here? I am sure people here would love to see it.  I would be interested in your info on serotonin and tryptophan info. I am searching for answers and help just like you.

Please repost it here,  PRETTY PLEASE with a cherry on top ;D;):)

sorry -- hate when i become cranky like this :D i had sent two people on here a direct question PM and no response then a whole slew of being ignored on the homefront makes me lose it sometimes. especially when the brain squeeze's are so severe and hyperacusis hurts so deeply.

it was mainly the hyperacusis symptom that pretty much becomes debiliting for me at times and i don't know how to deal with it and want it to just go away. i also think that the hyperacusis folks don't have as much clout as the tinnitus folk. seems like there are way more "tinnitus" sufferers than hyperacusis and let me tell you --lately it's been debilitating. i am constantly plugging my ears and i don't want to live like that.

i had posted a bunch of stuff about 3 days ago on my blog about how too much serotonin can cause excess glutamate and typtophan being toxic and can possibly cause tinnitus. but i don't think too many people are into the 'Ray Peat' way so they either get scared of what he has to say or just think he is wrong. i've been reading hundreds of his articles and the other people/doctor's/PH.D's in his corner and i really adhere to all he has to say about the serotonin and trytophan and other things.

Hi Pretty,  Yeah the w/d can make you cranky.  I tend to stay away from here when I have a wave.  Thanks for the info on serotonin and trytophan.

Hi Islandgirl.  You could try plugging up the little speaker sound hole with same cotton swab fiber.  I just tried it and it works well to bring the sound level way down.  I tamp it in the speaker hole with a paper clip. Do not push too deep or you will damage the little speaker.

Hugs Bird :smitten:

Hi.  Looking for some encouragement

My tinnitus has been around since February 2013.  It started somewhere between me getting off benzos and the Hospital putting me on 4 more drugs.  I am not on any drugs but the tinnitus is still driving me crazy.  I have read a lot of posts that said their tinnitus comes and goes but mine has never gone.  My brain is too fried to tell if the tinnitus even lessons.  I am completely mind and body gone.

I have never been in loud music or noise, had problems with my ears, I have good hearing (hearing test just taken was good), and ENT says he cannot see anything wrong. Will this tinnitus someday just leave?

Any comments, thanks Islandgirl

Hello Islandgirl, I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. Mine started March 15th of 2013. Coming up to a 1 year anniversary here. I am with you as far as this never ending. The only time it is gone is while I am asleep. When I wake up in the middle of the night it is very hard to get back to sleep. Finally I do but the T is there to greet me first thing in the morning. I, like you, am very tired of this noise. Just out of curiosity, do you have some days when it is quieter than others? Or is it the same volume all the time? What is your sound like? Mine sounds like about 10,000 cicadas or crickets or both accompanied by a steaming tea kettle with occasional solos by a synthesizer sending out high frequency sine waves. That's about it. I really feel for you. Oh, and yes it is most definitely because of the drugs.

I really do hope you and I and everybody who is a victim of these stupid doctors will finally be free of this terrible noise. I think it is best to believe that you will get better.

I stuck both my pinkies into my ears, and it gets rid of the tinnitus.....BUT, I was amazed to hear and FEEL something very strange.  It sounded like a factory.  It wasn't my heartbeat, because it was way faster, continuous and made up of many sounds, moving at a consistent pace, like in a factory where automatic machines are all at work, some VERY fast.  I was in my bed and this made me feel like my bed was shaking in accordance with the noises.

When I removed my pinkies, the tinnitus was far quieter, but now is gradually returning.  Wonder what the heck all that is?

So I sound like a crazy person?

I stuck both my pinkies into my ears, and it gets rid of the tinnitus.....BUT, I was amazed to hear and FEEL something very strange.  It sounded like a factory.  It wasn't my heartbeat, because it was way faster, continuous and made up of many sounds, moving at a consistent pace, like in a factory where automatic machines are all at work, some VERY fast.  I was in my bed and this made me feel like my bed was shaking in accordance with the noises.

When I removed my pinkies, the tinnitus was far quieter, but now is gradually returning.  Wonder what the heck all that is?

the nerves in the ears have so many fibers that make it seem like we hear things like factory, tea kettling. i heard full on synphonies which i didn't mind when i had major auditory hallucinations and circus music. i heard so many different sounds and frequencies when i put in some heros ear plugs. the swishing-ness makde it unbearable for me and didn't block out any other sound either.

i wonder why i don't have the tinnitus symptom too bad and only once in awhile but have the hyperacusis to an unsettling degree? what the hey?

Just found this TENACIOUS TINNITUS CLUB.....and it was tinnitus that was my first w/d symptom. As many others have said it's so prevailing it almost drowns out the w/d symptoms. I crossed over from Ativan to Valium successfully and began a slow taper starting at 22 Mg's of Valium at the end of Sept. I kept a carefull diary of symptoms and TINNITUS and SEVERE ITCHINESS have appeared all the way down. QUIET ROOMS ARE THE ENEMY, STRESS CAN RAMP IT UP. WAKE UPS ARE LIKE A COMPUTER RE BOOTING and severe tinnitus in the middle of the night after a quite day , a manageable day just propels me into a bad emotional state at times. I was hopeful that after being off the Valium that the re regulation of GABA and the diminution of glutamate would make the tinnitus disappear. I read here that many folks off are still suffering greatly at many months off.

I won't list my coping devices as it would be repetitious to what I have read.

This really SUCKS period. Ashton says its the last symptom to go....I hope one day , God willing it does.

Anyway I will just post what I do to cope:

1. EARBUDS connected to my Acer laptop allow me to hear DOWNLOADS  on MEDITATION, MEDICAL HYPNOSIS, RELAXATION CD'S and INSOMNIA utube site as well  as TINNITUS you tube sites.

2. Being out is better than at home in quiet room...which exacerbates the situation.

3. The are a ton of charlatins  selling Miracle Cures to magic SUPPLIMENTS.....all crap.

4. I looked for ideas from TENACIOUS TINNITUS CLUB MEMBERS...but most if not all have done identical reseach and have listened to a shower head for 8 hours during the night in desperation ...LOL.

5. If misery loves company THIS IS THE PLACE...LOL.

Just found this TENACIOUS TINNITUS CLUB.....and it was tinnitus that was my first w/d symptom. As many others have said it's so prevailing it almost drowns out the w/d symptoms. I crossed over from Ativan to Valium successfully and began a slow taper starting at 22 Mg's of Valium at the end of Sept. I kept a carefull diary ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Boy can I ever relate to that!  I may have other s/x but the tinnitus is so over whelming I'd never notice as my mind is all tied up trying to analyze and cope with the sound 16/7 (sleep is that only break I get), it's exhausting and maybe all that worrying is how the brain gets the gaba levels back I can only hope.

I can relate too, "THIS SUCKS" :)

Give it time, it does get slowly better but could take years for some of us.

the nerves in the ears have so many fibers that make it seem like we hear things like factory, tea kettling. i heard full on synphonies which i didn't mind when i had major auditory hallucinations and circus music. i heard so many different sounds and frequencies when i put in some heros ear plugs. the swishing-ness makde it unbearable for me and didn't block out any other sound either.

i wonder why i don't have the tinnitus symptom too bad and only once in awhile but have the hyperacusis to an unsettling degree? what the hey?

Hi pretty, 

I have strong PM relationships with about 40 people hear with H and T.  We have all talked extensively on these topics.  I can only extrapolate a time healing curve from the low dose short term users since they will heal faster than use.  From what I gather hyperacusis is more of the acute side of healing and when that fades away the tinnitus remains and the perception is that it gets worse, like WAY worse as maybe it is the only thing left.  I only had hyperacusis while in acute w/d. The day I reinstated the hyperacusis faded fast and left me only with radical tinnitus and I mean radical like 40 different sounds, I had the whole New York Philharmonic Orchestra playing in my left ear drum! It was complex sounds, tapping, clicking, buzzing, humming, ratcheting, drilling, whistling, you name it I heard it!  About a year after my long slow taper it's now manageable but still a great source of stress and depression for me.  As a test I took 15mg Remeron last night and I feel ZONKED this morning but in a good mellow way.  Slept right until 9:00AM missing my 3:00AM dose completely. My perception of reality this morning?? Well, that the tinnitus is not really so bad but still there and I'm a bit more hopeful. I'll go back to 4mg tonight and see if my perception changes to more worrisome again.  I know not everybody here likes playing with drugs after this expericne but I need a little help or I fear I may not make it to the end. Many people have told me remeron is useful and fairly easy to quit.  I look on youtube and I can find AD tapering horror stories on most AD's say one, remeron and those remeron w/d stories are short and boring with happy endings.

I like boring when it come to w/d ;)

I'll keep guinea-pigging myself out in the name of medicine and report back here with my results ;D

Bird, lab rat

REMERON test. 

Took 15mg remeron last night.  Feel ZONKED this morning, but not in a bad way, like I can't fully wake up way.  Went away after an hour up.

Tinnitus?  Still there but not as bothersome.  Though about getting upset about it and could not enough get a good panic attack going, but I did yawn 4 times thinking about it however,,,, wheres the coffee,, forgot I don't drink coffee any more,  yawn. ::)

PRECIPITATION OF REALITY today  =  Better,,,,,  yawn :thumbsup:

I use this term PRECIPITATION OF REALITY since it follows a philosophy I read about on how PLASTIC the brain is.

Hi

I developed tinnitus when I cut my diazepam down from  10mg a day to the 4mg  I'm on now.

The good news is it does go,  it took me 12 months for it to go  after suffering it every day.

Hang in there,  it should go in time.

I'm  going to start tapering again so I might have to go through it again.

Hi

I developed tinnitus when I cut my diazepam down from  10mg a day to the 4mg  I'm on now.

The good news is it does go,  it took me 12 months for it to go  after suffering it every day.

Hang in there,  it should go in time.

I'm  going to start tapering again so I might have to go through it again.

Hi WFW,  Do you mean your tinnitus actually went away on a hold?

Thanks  Bird

Hi

Yes my tinnitus  went completely,  I've been on 4mg for 20 years and have never had tinnitus again

so it did go on a hold for me.

Hi

Yes my tinnitus  went completely,  I've been on 4mg for 20 years and have never had tinnitus again

so it did go on a hold for me.

Interesting.  I have heard a theory that any long term hold will cause symptoms to fade but around here every one is always on the move so we do not hear from people who go on long holds like you.  Some people here taper down to a certain level and just quit effectively holding for life is their plan BUT after a long while they come back and taper some more.

Please let us know how you do on your taper.  With a 20 year long hold you could teach this community so much about how this stuff works.

Out of curiosity why do you want to taper off the drug now?  Any symptoms getting worse or do you just feel it's time to be free of the drug?

Thanks WFW,  :smitten:

Bird

Out of curiosity why do you want to taper off the drug now?  Any symptoms getting worse or do you just feel it's time to be free of the drug?

Those are very good questions Birdman. T today is very bad. I would like to try to hold too and see if it would stop screaming at me. Problem is I only have so much of the Klonopin left. I must finish this taper before it is all gone. New doctor Idiot thinks I should go to a psychiatrist. Won't refill prescription. He does not think my symptoms have anything to do with Klonopin. Another moron. Time to look for yet another doctor.

Those are very good questions Birdman. T today is very bad. I would like to try to hold too and see if it would stop screaming at me. Problem is I only have so much of the Klonopin left. I must finish this taper before it is all gone. New doctor Idiot thinks I should go to a psychiatrist. Won't refill prescription. He does not think my symptoms have anything to do with Klonopin. Another moron. Time to look for yet another doctor.

Hi DM,  unfortunately psychiatrists will give you scripts more easily but you will need to listen to there psychobabble for an hour ::) The last shrink told me it was not the benzo but it was really about my mother ::) Lord get me OFF this planet fast! Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here except on Benzo Buddies ;D

My best Dr. is an ADDICTIONOLOGIST. All he deals with is addiction.  Found him on the benzo doc list.  www.benzodocs.com

Keep in mind these people like to fight drug addiction with more drugs so you have to be careful.  Slow tapering makes the most sense.

Hugs  :smitten:  Bird

My tinnitus got unbearable when, before quitting Xanax, the doc upped my a/d (buproprion) from 150 to 300 mg.  It was noticeably louder.  So, I just cut back down to 150.  I know there is a direct correlation between the a/d and tinnitus for me.  But it got worse again after my c/t from Xanax. Tinnitus is unnerving.  It makes me feel dizzy and headachy, or maybe it doesn't...maybe I also have these symptoms anyway.  But they seem interrelated.  In any event, all of them together are very VERY iritating and make me kind of unfit to socialize with anyone, including my family, because of how irritable I am.  And it's hard to explain how serious tinnitus can be when you just say "I have ringing in my ears.". Glad you guys GET it.  It's really something else to deal with.  I never want this again, at any cost.

Hi DM,  unfortunately psychiatrists will give you scripts more easily but you will need to listen to there psychobabble for an hour ::) The last shrink told me it was not the benzo but it was really about my mother ::) Lord get me OFF this planet fast! Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here except on Benzo Buddies ;

Hugs  :smitten:  Bird

;D

Oh, there is some intelligent life still down here.  They just don't come out and play much, either.

It's too damn dangerous!

:smitten:

Hi Birdman

I want to cut down again now as I am suffering from tolerance symptoms

and I don't want to updose at this stage.

Hi Birdman

I want to cut down again now as I am suffering from tolerance symptoms

and I don't want to updose at this stage.

Hi wfw,  I'd go very slow.  Talk to these members.  Bart, diaz-pam or builder, they can help you.

Also going to 3 or 4 doses a day will help much.  Did you already try going to 1 mg every 6 hours?  I may help a bit and will definitely help when cutting.

Healing after 20 years could take a while. Just get ready for a long ride.  Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Went back to 4mg Remeron,  Tinnitus seems more bothersome this morning but I feel more awake and that's good.  I'll stick to 4mg :)