Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

TINNITUS IN BENZO w/d  is a vestibular disorder  so this stuff may work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tinnitus can be caused by a vestibular malfunction, but the origin of tinnitus in BZW is not always vestibular in nature.  Thanks for being a lab rat birdie.  Hope this stuff helps ya.  :)

Well here's a new medication for me to play with, Betahistine. They say it helps benzo related tinnitus.

Betahistine has a very strong affinity as an antagonist for histamine H3 receptors and a weak affinity as an agonist for histamine H1 receptors. Betahistine seems to dilate the blood vessels within the inner ear which can relieve pressure from excess fluid and act on the smooth muscle.

Betahistine has two modes of action. Primarily, it has a direct stimulating (agonistic) effect on H1 receptors located on blood vessels in the inner ear. This gives rise to local vasodilation and increased permeability, which helps to reverse the underlying problem of endolymphatic hydrops.

More importantly, betahistine has a powerful antagonistic effects at H3 receptors, thereby increasing the levels of neurotransmitters histamine, acetylcholine, norepinephrine, and serotonin released from the nerve endings. The increased amounts of histamine released from histaminergic nerve endings can stimulate receptors. This stimulation explains the potent vasodilatory effects of betahistine in the inner ear, that are well documented.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betahistine

The fluid in the ear (found in a structure called the labyrinth) provides continual feedback to the brain about our body position. When something disturbs the balance of this fluid, for example an increase in its pressure, this can cause sensations such as nausea, dizziness or spinning sensations (vertigo), ringing in the ears (tinnitus) and hearing problems. This is what happens in Ménière's disease and benzo withdrawal.

Betahistine works by acting on histamine receptors that are found in the walls of blood vessels in the inner ear. By activating these receptors, a process is started which ultimately reduces the pressure of the fluid that fills the labyrinth in the inner ear which substantially reduces tinnitus. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup::smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I need to look into this Birdman as all my research plus trying various antihistamines ...Benedryl Phenergan, and others had unpleasant side effects and were of no help. IF THIS WORKS rest assured I will be nominating you for the NOBEL TINNITUS PEACE PRIZE. Also I am on Norvasc which dilates peripheral  blood vessels making them less resistant to blood flow and thereby lowering BP. I think I will discontinue that medication.

Hugs, :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

NSH

Hi Juliea and NSH,

I am pretty sure my benzo induced tinnitus is from vestibular pressure since my ear hurts and feels pressurized and even itchy from the vibration to the point I want to take a Q-tip and itch my ear drum :idiot: (smiley itching ear drum shown :laugh:) .  This is not some phantom pain in the mind, it's real time pain and it's benzo withdrawal related.  If this stuff can help lower the pressure I think it will help. 

I am on low dose remeron with also hits the H receptors so I wonder if there will be a drug interaction??

Anybody know??

Hugs Birdie  :smitten:

LAB RAT ;)

http://www.massagebyheather.com

How about massages for the lymphatic to help reduce fluid in the ears and vertigo.  I believe there is fluid on our ears.  I can rake or shovel snow and the buzzing stops.  Am I doing some motion to help this.    I don't know if Remeron will interfere Birdman.    Linder xo

http://www.massagebyheather.com

How about massages for the lymphatic to help reduce fluid in the ears and vertigo.  I believe there is fluid on our ears.  I can rake or shovel snow and the buzzing stops.  Am I doing some motion to help this.    I don't know if Remeron will interfere Birdman.    Linder xo

Hi linder, thanks for the link, I could use a massage about now :laugh:  How are you feeling these days?  How is your benzo inducted tinnitus?

Hugs  Birdie :smitten:

Wow Birdy!  What a great find!  When do you start!  So glad you are willing to be our lab rat  :smitten:  We wait with baited breath, never knew where that phrase came from  :laugh:

Hey Rabbit11,  When we "wait with bated breath" it means we are holding our breath in anticipation of something about to happen. Usually of a suspenseful nature. It comes from Middle English.  :thumbsup: I do this every time, for a moment, when I think I can't hear my T.

Oh,... I'll take one of those massages too.  :yippee::smitten:

I see my dr. at the end of the month and I have a long "WANT TO TRY A NEW MED LIST"  I hope he does not freakout too bad ;D  I'll let you know how it goes gang :thumbsup:

Labrat  over and out ;)

My tinnitus seems to be staying the same and not improving even after 8 months off.  I notice that stress makes it worse too.  I think because I have TMJ, when I clench my jaw it revs up the tinnitus.  I also notice that when I'm congested, it is worse.

I took two sudafed and it helped the tinnitus because it reduces congestion.  But not everyone can handle this because they are stimulants also.  But, if you can handle it, try it.

I agree with MamaShoshanna. Stress definitely makes T worse. When I do deep breathing exercises  and relax for awhile it does tend to get a little less overwhelming. Once, since I jumped off of the C,  it seemed almost gone. Of course that only lasted about 30 minutes. Back a few months ago when I was pounding on my head and trying anything to stop the screaming noise, I put my index fingers into my ears an pressed real hard. I succeeded in stopping all outside noise. But that was all I stopped. The T was there as loud as ever. That is when I realized it had nothing to do with the ears at all. It is the brain that is screaming. "GIVE ME MORE DRUGS"  >:D >:D>:D >:D>:D    It is always louder than anything else that is going on. We can spend a lot of money on so called cures or masking, but I am afraid that there is really nothing to do but wait. And try to not be too stressed out by this.  :sick: Easier said than done right?  :'(

I see my dr. at the end of the month and I have a long "WANT TO TRY A NEW MED LIST"  I hope he does not freakout too bad ;D  I'll let you know how it goes gang :thumbsup:

Labrat  over and out ;)

Birdie! Are you stockpiling again?  :laugh: Good luck with that. :thumbsup:

Snowy

Labrat  over and out ;)

Birdie! Are you stockpiling again?  :laugh: Good luck with that. :thumbsup:

Snowy

Yeah, you just know me too darn well :laugh:  I have enough crap to start a freaking pharmacy ;D

Oneday I hope to flush it all :thumbsup: (Oh God , Oh God please let me heal, I will never touch another benzo I promise!!!!)

Thanks for stopping by snowy  :-*  :hug::mybuddy::smitten:

Very hard to say Birdman. The tinnitus has been so disruptive the whole time, like today, that it is hard to say anything about a peak. I only have noticed the times when it is gentle  ::) for awhile. Other than those brief moments I would have to say it is "peaking" all the time.  :tickedoff:  Peace and more good luck Birdman  :smitten:

Thanks bart and snowy, I can't believe I made it this far.  I imagined it to be so much worse but it's the same as the cuts on the high dose.  This really is all about getting used to a new chemical level in the brain. I can see why going slow is so critical now looking up at where I once was. ;D

Love you guys  :smitten:

Thanks for the answer dreammovie  :)

My tinnitus seems to be staying the same and not improving even after 8 months off.  I notice that stress makes it worse too.  I think because I have TMJ, when I clench my jaw it revs up the tinnitus.  I also notice that when I'm congested, it is worse.

I took two sudafed and it helped the tinnitus because it reduces congestion.  But not everyone can handle this because they are stimulants also.  But, if you can handle it, try it.

Stress will make manageable TINNITUS like mine become UNRELENTING AND ROARING....

Could the Epley maneuver help alleviate tinnitus?

During the exercises devised by Seymont and/or Epley for rehabilitation of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, we observed that the accompanying tinnitus disappeared immediately in some patients. Following this observation and using the same maneuver, we examined two groups of patients. The first group included 86 patients with continuous tinnitus, or tinnitus in specific head/body positions. whose origination was associated with recent vestibular symptomatology. The second group included 100 patients with positional tinnitus, but without any vestibular disorder. Ages ranged between 35 and 78 years and gender distribution was 114 females and 72 males. It was shown that 29 patients in the first group (33.2%) and 18 patients in the second group (18%) could be released from their tinnitus. Eleven patients in the first group (12.7%) and 7 patients in the second group (7%) noticed a reduction of their tinnitus. These results show that in the above-mentioned cases relief of vestibular symptoms alleviates the tinnitus. This could be mediated by a reduction in autonomic activity, known to affect tinnitus.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11318463

Here is a video of the Epley maneuver:

Thanks bart and snowy, I can't believe I made it this far.  I imagined it to be so much worse but it's the same as the cuts on the high dose.  This really is all about getting used to a new chemical level in the brain. I can see why going slow is so critical now looking up at where I once was. ;D

Love you guys  :smitten:

Thanks for the answer dreammovie  :)

Thanks Birdman for starting the wonderful support group :thumbsup:. Minimally we all don't feel so alone with the challenges that TINNITUS presents on a daily basis and for me especially on a nightly basis where wakes up have  caused an incredible exacerbation of my tinnitus. As most of you know I cut to fast from 1.87 of Valium to 1.50 for 9 days and then 1.25 brought on such a plethora of symptoms that I screamed HELP on BB. The advise I received was superb and comforting. It was suggested that I up dose to where my symptoms were last manageable and evaluate at 10 days...if there was no IMPROVEMENT to up dose again. Thankfully at 1.75 mg's of Valium at day 17 my cluster of horrendous symptoms is now either gone or very manageable. I was rather skeptical that my tinnitus would be impacted at all since it has been with me since my taper begin Sept 20, 2013 from 22 mg's. But either I am in a "window" or real change is happening with my TINNITUS. That change is that since day 11 my tinnitus has been either Excellent being defined as "not there", or Good being defined as "manageable". However, on day 15 I had a rather bad,  bad day :crazy: causing me to up dose that day BUT I reduced on day 16 the amount of the up dose to level that out.

Last night on awakening My TINNITUS was not there or if it was it calmed down in about 15-20 minutes. That's a FIRST. And that's the reason for my post. I plan to continue this HOLD for 13 more days and the resume my taper. Of course we all know things can change in a heartbeat but the advise to SLOW DOWN was great. I will continue to chime in if thing get better to give hope to my BB friends here. BTW, no supplements or additional medications yet except one Percocet once on this 17 day hold. Any feedback is always WELCOMED. ::) ::)::)

NSH

Could the Epley maneuver help alleviate tinnitus?

During the exercises devised by Seymont and/or Epley for rehabilitation of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, we observed that the accompanying tinnitus disappeared immediately in some patients. Following this observation and using the same maneuver, we examined two groups of patients. The first group included 86 patients with continuous tinnitus, or tinnitus in specific head/body positions. whose origination was associated with recent vestibular symptomatology. The second group included 100 patients with positional tinnitus, but without any vestibular disorder. Ages ranged between 35 and 78 years and gender distribution was 114 females and 72 males. It was shown that 29 patients in the first group (33.2%) and 18 patients in the second group (18%) could be released from their tinnitus. Eleven patients in the first group (12.7%) and 7 patients in the second group (7%) noticed a reduction of their tinnitus. These results show that in the above-mentioned cases relief of vestibular symptoms alleviates the tinnitus. This could be mediated by a reduction in autonomic activity, known to affect tinnitus.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11318463

Here is a video of the Epley maneuver:

Hi linder, that's very interesting. I still have balance issues and land sickness. I think the vestibular nerve is also at play here.  It's over activated by glutamate signals from receptors, go figure  ;)

Here's some good video's 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpLa5FgD52w

Here's Vestibular Rehabilitation Exercises :D

I REALLY think this is all from a Vestibular disorder/over-excitement from the benzo's.

Hugs Birdie :smitten: :smitten:

Last night on awakening My TINNITUS was not there or if it was it calmed down in about 15-20 minutes. That's a FIRST. And that's the reason for my post. I plan to continue this HOLD for 13 more days and the resume my taper. Of course we all know things can change in a heartbeat but the advise to SLOW DOWN was great. I will continue to chime in if thing get better to give hope to my BB friends here. BTW, no supplements or additional medications yet except one Percocet once on this 17 day hold. Any feedback is always WELCOMED. ::)

NSH

Slow change is best NSH.  This is all about getting the head and ears used to changing excito-chemical levels.  Each person must fine their own RATE OF CHANGE that suits them.  For same it's very slow.  Not a big deal, slow change works as good as fast change which having the excito risks.  Any chemical that can calm the vestibular nerve will help, I wish we could find that chemical in a form that was not addictive.  Medications from Meniere's Disease my help us during w/d, I'm still searching.

They say alcohol and benzo's (powdered alcohol :laugh:) can cause Meniere's Disease ,,, INTERESTING!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Easter Birdie. :) Imagine if the Easter Bunny took benzos how bad his tinnitus would be? With those big ears. :idiot:

No...I know its a serious issue, and I wish you a Happy Day.

Snowy :)

Happy Easter Birdie. :) Imagine if the Easter Bunny took benzos how bad his tinnitus would be? With those big ears. :idiot:

No...I know its a serious issue, and I wish you a Happy Day.

Snowy :)

Lol, funny snowy, Big ears / big tinnitus ;) 

Even people with tinnitus need comedy relief :laugh:

Happy Easter snowy :smitten: