Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

Whoa! I wasn't expecting that. ;D That's great Birdie. I pray everything goes well for you. I bet it will.

Congratulations! :-*

Get your parachute ready! :yippee:

Snowy :-* :-* :smitten:

Awesome news Birdman!!  And the tinnitus is down 90%?!  :o  WOW!!!  Well done.  Congrats on being BENZO FREE!!!!  :thumbsup:

PD :hug:

How wonderful Birdie. What a beautiful, positive post.  :thumbsup:I also hope all goes very well for you in your freedom. Much congratulations on your new LOW tinnitus level.  :D Can't wait for that one.  :smitten:

Birdman

Great news! You've got a really good addictionologist there. The Baclofen and oxycodone will be far far easier to taper than any benzo.

Glad the T is down.

Bart

Birdman

Great news! You've got a really good addictionologist there. The Baclofen and oxycodone will be far far easier to taper than any benzo.

Glad the T is down.

Bart

Hi bart.  Yes that's what he said too.  Oxy withdrawal 2-3 weeks of hell max and it's over.  He did say the baclofen could be more tricky and needed an extremely slow taper but said it's less tricky than benzo's which can be quirky at the bottom end. I'll find out soon enough.  Still have a dull headache and the worse my head pounds the better the tinnitus is, very strange indeed but it's better today.  I'm just happy I am done with the BIG BAD BENZO WOLF for good!!!  :D

Hugs Birdie :smitten:

Hey Birdman, hope your third day off is going well for you.  ;):smitten:

Hi DM,  It's better today as that weird baclofen headache is fading.  Could not get to sleep until 3:00AM and then slept like a log and woke up with only low level T.  Nice! :thumbsup:

Found some non related baclofen video's on line

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MucuKntIsI

Could not find any info on benzo's and baclofen :( :( :(  No research being done :( :(

Gosh Birdie, I can't wait to be with you in the low level thing. T still is my first greeter in the morning. :tickedoff: And of course the last voice I hear at night.  :crazy:  I will take a look at the utube info things you sent along. Hope all keeps going well with you.  :smitten:

Birdman, what do you expect to happen to your tinnitus when you taper off the baclofen?  Any predictions?

PD

Gosh Birdie, I can't wait to be with you in the low level thing. T still is my first greeter in the morning. :tickedoff: And of course the last voice I hear at night.  :crazy:  I will take a look at the utube info things you sent along. Hope all keeps going well with you.  :smitten:

Hi DM, I am right there with you except it's been a cycle with some perfect days , manageable ones followed by unrelenting all day tinnitus. To day is my birthday so the BENZO BEAST gave me a horrific wakeup for a present , with screeching. You know that symphony but I hope it goes to manageable so I can at least speak on the phone. Ss you say" IT WAS MY FIRST GREETER in the morning". YUP

B

Hi Needsomehelp,  :D :D :DHappy birthday to you.......... Singing as loud as I can so you can hear it through the T :laugh: :laugh: :smitten:

Shoot, I could have sworn I posted here!  Wow, Birdie, that is great you are getting some relief.  My T is up a bit today.  I did cut last night, so predictable now.  It's normally an on and off thing.  I don't usually wake up with it in the middle of the night, but once I'm up and around, it usually kicks in for a while.  Usually goes away.  Some days I don't hear it at all.  It's level is tolerable, but annoying.  I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see how you're doing.  I hope it's smooth sailing all the way down!

Hugs,

Rabbit

Thanks for the birthday wishes.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It's like having two families with this family really having a better understanding of what I am going through. I am not checking but I see a new BUDDY joins and the chief complaint is TINNITUS. This site has some great support plus our QUEEN OF RESEARCH, BIRDMAN so I thought I would tell this person of our support group but I think I told DM by mistake who is of course here. just a senior moment. Anyway, I looked to be out today  and about despite my horrific wake up and it worked. Down to 1.62 with the same symptoms...so I 'll just keep marching along.

B

My tinnitus is up a bit today too so do not feel bad guys.  I hope to heal underneath these drugs, that's the theory any ways.  It's my understanding that tapering from them is not as rough as a benzo taper. I will find out soon enough.

Hi, folks -

TT--tenacious tinnitus, yes indeed.  I don't want to scare anyone, but tinnitus is a persistent fact of my life a year and nine months out from my last dose of clonazepam.  I mostly tune it out--I don't like it, but I can't say it's ever bothered me horribly; during the worst of my benzo-experience it was so dramatically the least of my troubles, that I'm very willing to put up with it as long as the other stuff (the acute physical and mental distress I experienced on benzos) is gone, which it is.  So I tell people I'm "symptom-free" now, honestly forgetting that the tinnitus, which I guess is itself a symptom, has never been absent since some time before I got off the benzos--it's just always there, like white noise in the background, or something. 

I suppose my message is that I think a person can learn to live with tinnitus--at any rate, speaking just for myself, it hasn't been too difficult for me to learn to live with it.  I'm aware, though, that my experience of it is not necessarily the same as the way other people experience it, and I know for a lot of people it's terribly annoying.

So what am I saying?  I want to encourage people not to be frightened by tinnitus.  Maybe part of coping is simply adjusting one's response to it.  Easier said than done, I know--especially if one of the effects of a drug you are withdrawing or recovering from is to make you feel more scared of pretty much everything.  Fear, though, is one of the demons that I eventually vanquished--at least for the most part--by quitting benzos.  For that alone--banishing that crippling fear--it was worth the struggle to get off the benzos.  And I think being calmer and less fearful helps me be more accepting of the tinnitus.  Maybe mine will go away someday, maybe it won't.  Maybe I'll wake up one morning and hear just the birds, instead of what I refer to as the chorus of castrati cicadas that resides inside my head.  Or maybe I'll just go on waking up to those cicadas every morning, and having them accompany me throughout the day, every day.  I believe I'll be OK either way.

You guys will be OK, too--I really think so.  Easy for me to say, I know--but I have confidence that you folks have the strength to find your way through, tinnitus or no tinnitus.

Hang in there.

Peace,

Rek   

Very well put Rek :)  When I first got tinnitus, I didn't think I would survive it because it made me extremely anxious, depressed, and unable to sleep.  I truly never thought I would be able to say this, but I have adapted.  I think the tinnitus has come to be bearable to me as a result of it not being as loud as it used to be and just plain getting used to it being there i.e. habituation.  I was so bad I even got counseling from an audiologist that specializes in helping tinnitus patients.  I also used Zoloft for awhile, which helped me sleep and get my depression under control.  But what you say about learning to change your response to tinnitus is the key according to the experts.  Here's a letter written by a physician who had intrusive tinnitus and suffered greatly because of it.  It brought tears to my eyes the first time I read it...to know that there is someone else out there that understands what I have been through...

http://www.ata.org/nagler-letter-to-tinnitus-sufferer

PD

Very well put Rek :)  When I first got tinnitus, I didn't think I would survive it because it made me extremely anxious, depressed, and unable to sleep.  I truly never thought I would be able to say this, but I have adapted.  I think the tinnitus has come to be bearable to me as a result of it not being as loud as it used to be and just plain getting used to it being there i.e. habituation.  I was so bad I even got counseling from an audiologist that specializes in helping tinnitus patients.  I also used Zoloft for awhile, which helped me sleep and get my depression under control.  But what you say about learning to change your response to tinnitus is the key according to the experts.  Here's a letter written by a physician who had intrusive tinnitus and suffered greatly because of it.  It brought tears to my eyes the first time I read it...to know that there is someone else out there that understands what I have been through...

http://www.ata.org/nagler-letter-to-tinnitus-sufferer

Hi PD, Thanks for posting the letter which I read carefully and will re read. I agree with his point  "show me a doctor with a medical issue and I will show you an expert" BUT my tinnitus started with Benzo W/d. I wondered if that made the recovery of my tinnitus more probable or more possible than someone whose tinnitus was VESTIBULAR rather than BRAIN centered. Having said that, I keep hope that once the Valium is gone even if the tinnitus is protracted there will be a chance of my recovery. ASHTON says of all the protracted symptoms TINNITUS is the worst TIME WISE. Hope all of us EXPERTS on this thread reply to this either in agreement or disagreement.

BTW the people on this thread know it's here I have only gotten advise here as I too was told by colleagues to "learn to live with it".

B

So nice to hear from you, PerfectDaughter!  :)  When I first spotted this thread I thought of you, remembering how the tinnitus had been driving you up the wall.  While I'd have been delighted to find out that the condition had simply gone away for you, I'm glad at least to know that you feel you can handle it now.  I don't know why it bothers some of us so much more than it does other--whether the experience is qualitatively different from one person to the next or whether each of us is just differently sensitized to that kind of thing.  Some of both, perhaps.  Anyway, how nice to see a post from you, and I'm thrilled that you are benzo-free and feeling so much better!  You go, girl -

Peace,

Rek

My tinnitus will NOT go away or even diminish.  Whenever I think of it it starts to make me crazy so I try not to think of it.  Right now, at bedtime, with the fan and tv on, the tinnitus is louder than them both: loud and screeching.  I really am disliking this symptom.  It is very stressful to me.

I'm with you Mama. The T is driving me up the walls. I also have a big floor fan on at night. It is on medium because the high setting somehow disturbs what little sleep I can grab. And yes, the T is louder than what ever I play to stop it. Watching movies on TV can sometimes divert my attention for a bit. But the T always wins. :(  >:(  :idiot:  :crazy:  Nothing I can say here will change this.  :sick: You take care the best you can.  :smitten:

I am so glad my T is down.  It's getting better again.  I catch myself not thinking about it for hours. This is NEW for me. 

Birdman,

Glad to hear your hearing is better!  :thumbsup:

Keep up your enormous positive attitude because it's contagious.  ATU