Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Body pain

[Lu...]
Posted (edited)

Hey all hope everyone is having a wonderful Tuesday morning and finding some happiness today ❤️

so I am roughly 3 months from a cold turkey of alprazolam, many of you on here know my story and have been helping me the whole way which I cannot thank you all enough for.

I unfortunately have had a return of a very terrible symptom which i would like to discuss and see if it’s still in the realm of withdrawal or if I should be worried and schedule more tests.

early on in my withdrawal (week 1 through about week 6) I had horrible pain and weakness throughout my body but mostly in my arms and hands and legs. A very dull constant anche radiating throughout my limbs.  Everything felt incredibly heavy, like carrying trash bags was almost impossible or lifting my small daughter felt like a monumental chore. I run a barbershop and was unable to hold my arms up for extended periods of time. Carrying a dinner plate was exhausting. Scary and debilitating stuff. But it went away COMPLETELY at around week 6, and have spent the last two months free from that weakness and soreness.

unfortunately around 2 days ago the pain and weakness came back almost worse than it was before. The pain is constant and is keeping me awake. Was trying to do a puzzle with my wife and it’s exhausting to even lift my arms. My arms feel like I just did an incredibly difficult resistance workout at the gym.Again mostly in my arms and legs. I’m freaking out a bit. I thought I was done with this. 

it seems weird even for benzos to have such a massive symptom heal completely and then 2 months later come back worse than before. The weakness is profound.

Here is a list of some testing I have had throughout this to possibly rule out other things: 

-nerve conduction study (along with full neurology physical exam)

- EMG of legs and arms and face

- cardiac stress test and echocardiagram 

- multiple EKG’s

- chest x ray 

-brain mri

- tons of blood work (CBC and metabolic panels) 

- Lyme test

- pulmonary function exam (spirometry)

all of which have come back 100% normal. 

I just don’t know what to do anymore I am incredibly frustrated and scared and have spent a tremendous amount of time and money trying to figure this out. 

can anyone relate to this symptom or had something go away for that long and return in full force worse than before.  

Thank you all yet again for the continued support, praying for you daily.

Wishing you all the happiness in the world  ❤️

-Lucas 

Edited by [Lu...]
  • Sad 1

[jo...]

Muscle fatigue is a common symptom. I get it sometimes. Cant barely lift my arms up. It moves around muscle to muscle for me which is weird. Some seem to get it all over their body. It always passes with time for me.

• Like 1

[Lu...]

@[jo...]thanks for the reply! It’s so exhausting. Mine does seem to migrate a bit as well but is always pretty constant in my arms. Probably due to my work. It’s just so strange it went away completely then came back. Do you have a dull ache associated with the fatigue?

[jo...]
8 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

@[jo...]thanks for the reply! It’s so exhausting. Mine does seem to migrate a bit as well but is always pretty constant in my arms. Probably due to my work. It’s just so strange it went away completely then came back. Do you have a dull ache associated with the fatigue?

Yeah i do. It passes though. All my physical symptoms tend to move around. I guess it's just your body fixing one muscle then moving on to the next etc.

• Like 3

[Ma...]

Hi there Lucas 😊! Symptoms was and wane. They can disappear only to come back sometimes.

Look at it this way: your body was working really hard on fixing that particular area, now it just needs to do some fine tuning, that’s all.

This is a non linear process, as you’ve surely heard, not a direct trajectory.

Listen to your body. Right now your arms need rest, not exertion.

BTW: you’re doing great! Be proud of how far you’ve come. 

• Like 3

[Lu...]

@[Ma...] thank you Mary 😊 I’ll try and get some good rest when I get home later. Hope you’re doing well

@[Lu...], this is absolutely normal, just a wave and it will go. There is nothing to be scared of. As for me, I still have all my body pain coming and going in waves. In fact it's the only thing that's left.

Keep going!)

• Like 2

[Kr...]
6 hours ago, [[L...] said:

seems weird even for benzos to have such a massive symptom heal completely and then 2 months later come back worse than before

Careful of thinking a symptom “healed” completely. They can pop back up anytime and that doesn’t mean you haven’t been healing. 
You have a nervous system injury, not a sprained ankle. It’s a very complex non-linear healing.  

• Like 3

[En...]

Hey all hope everyone is having a wonderful Tuesday morning and finding some happiness today ❤️

so I am roughly 3 months from a cold turkey of alprazolam, many of you on here know my story and have been helping me the whole way which I cannot thank you all enough for.

I unfortunately have had a return of a very terrible symptom which i would like to discuss and see if it’s still in the realm of withdrawal or if I should be worried and schedule more tests.

early on in my withdrawal (week 1 through about week 6) I had horrible pain and weakness throughout my body but mostly in my arms and hands and legs. A very dull constant anche radiating throughout my limbs.  Everything felt incredibly heavy, like carrying trash bags was almost impossible or lifting my small daughter felt like a monumental chore. I run a barbershop and was unable to hold my arms up for extended periods of time. Carrying a dinner plate was exhausting. Scary and debilitating stuff. But it went away COMPLETELY at around week 6, and have spent the last two months free from that weakness and soreness.

unfortunately around 2 days ago the pain and weakness came back almost worse than it was before. The pain is constant and is keeping me awake. Was trying to do a puzzle with my wife and it’s exhausting to even lift my arms. My arms feel like I just did an incredibly difficult resistance workout at the gym.Again mostly in my arms and legs. I’m freaking out a bit. I thought I was done with this. 

it seems weird even for benzos to have such a massive symptom heal completely and then 2 months later come back worse than before. The weakness is profound.

Here is a list of some testing I have had throughout this to possibly rule out other things: 

- multiple EKG’s

- chest x ray 

-brain mri

- Lyme test

I just don’t know what to do anymore I am incredibly frustrated and scared and have spent a tremendous amount of time and money trying to figure this out. 

can anyone relate to this symptom or had something go away for that long and return in full force worse than before.  

-Lucas 

I also had bad body pain. I had bad pain in my chest through to my shoulders and down my arms. It was so bad I went to the ER and got an EKG and bloodwork done all came back normal. If you go through these tests and they come back normal then it is withdrawal symptoms. What you are experiencing is a wave. It will pass and you will not have any pain. Unfortunately you went cold turkey and you are now paying for that. Be patient and it will pass. 

• Like 1

[ns...]

- multiple EKG’s

- chest x ray 

-brain mri

- Lyme test

-Lucas 

Hi Lucas 😊

Sorry to hear this. I can tell you that symptoms come and go. I know that my back pain really Revs up when I'm symptomatic. It's debilitating!

I cut one of my doses completely at the same time I cut 5% off of my other doses.

I actually feel better!

I've noticed that the weather plays a huge role on my symptoms and the intensity. 

When the barometric pressure is low, I'm miserable!

When we have clear, sunny warmer days, I feel so much better. I talked about this before. 

If your having rain or cold weather, you might notice these symptoms rev up a bit, sometimes, really reving up!

I truly believe your symptoms are related to wd. I've spent so much money trying to find answers and nothing!

Now that I'm able to see clearly, I'm absolutely sure that my symptoms are wd related. 

Electrical current type vibrating throughout my body, brain shaking, muscle squeezing, all over body soreness etc.

Nausea, dizziness. Tinnitus, floaty boaty feeling like you mentioned awhile back.

All of these symptoms lessened and lve been able to start living again, but the weather changes yesterday and it all came back. Since I now know what these symptoms are, I'm able to distract myself and live with them. It's not easy, no, its terrible.  But knowing is half the battle and acceptance is the other half. 

I guess I've had my first window, but it still feels like I'm healing.

Laughter is so important!

I've been laughing so much I cry, inappropriate sometimes laugher even but I dont care!

I'll keep you in my prayers Lucas. 

I know what a sweetheart you are and I hate to hear you're suffering. We're all going thru our private hell, but its so good to know we have each other when we need to talk or do a buddy check!

Stay away from sugar, sodas, high msg foods, alcohol etc.

There are many things online you can find to mske you laugh. Funny animals and even funny people!

Funny babies and their parents!

Even on Twitter there are so many of these!

Distract! 

I'm uncomfortable, I'm safe, I'm ok!

Do your exposure therapy Lucas, don't let this beat you! You're stronger than you think, trust me!

Kiss that baby for Mr, make her smile!

You're almost there!

Prayers for you and your family!

:therethere:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

[or...]

I really know very little about CTs but I've read many posts & replies about folks going through similar as you Lucas.  I think you are amazing to be doing the things you do all through this and I believe you will recover from all of it. 

I'd call what you have is true grit. To run your business, spend quality time with your wife and child/children. I feel so proud of you:hug:

You're going to have a big wide window, even better than the one you had after your first go'round with these sxs, hang on, and I'll pray for you as well Lucas, you really inspired me, and thanks so much for sharing with us Oregonlady~~ Denise

• Love 1

[Be...]

Hi,

I am sorry that you are going through this again and I hope you recover soon.  I don't know how much it will help you but I can tell you my case. I had left benzo 2.5 years back and during my withdrawal I had all those symptoms which you mentioned and more symptoms too. I went through extreme exhausted and weakness and numbness in arms and legs. I felt sometimes getting heart attack and all too. Later I got many tests done but nothing showed up. With time I healed so much I forgot all about it but just a month back I had fever and stomach infection.

I went to doc and that came out to be biggest mistake as he prescribed me paracetamol and metronidazole for few days and I am back to square one. All of my symptoms are back. My upper and hands feel very weak to lift anything and there is pain in arms too. my whole body feel like metal to move. I am exhausted most of time and I can't move around much. In addition to these symptoms I can't sleep properly at night and have low bp too. I went to doc and he said it's not possible and the symptoms are not because of any drug. I just don't want to go near them anymore. They just don't care.

I hope you feel better soon

• Like 1

[Lu...]

@[Be...] I’m so sorry that happened to you my friend. I also just started an antibiotic yesterday for a rough sinus infection and I am already feeling ABSOLUTLY HORRIBLE from it. It’s so sad we can’t take the meds we need due to these stupid benzos. I am sure you will heal from this setback very soon :) 

• Like 1

[Lu...]
13 hours ago, [[o...] said:

I really know very little about CTs but I've read many posts & replies about folks going through similar as you Lucas.  I think you are amazing to be doing the things you do all through this and I believe you will recover from all of it. 

I'd call what you have is true grit. To run your business, spend quality time with your wife and child/children. I feel so proud of you:hug:

You're going to have a big wide window, even better than the one you had after your first go'round with these sxs, hang on, and I'll pray for you as well Lucas, you really inspired me, and thanks so much for sharing with us Oregonlady~~ Denise

Thank you so much wow that is so kind ❤️ and you all inspire me so much to keep going. Despite the return of this symptom I am going to keep fighting and fighting until I am healed. Hope you are doing well my friend :) 

• Like 1

[Lu...]
14 hours ago, [[n...] said:

Hi Lucas 😊

Sorry to hear this. I can tell you that symptoms come and go. I know that my back pain really Revs up when I'm symptomatic. It's debilitating!

I cut one of my doses completely at the same time I cut 5% off of my other doses.

I actually feel better!

I've noticed that the weather plays a huge role on my symptoms and the intensity. 

When the barometric pressure is low, I'm miserable!

When we have clear, sunny warmer days, I feel so much better. I talked about this before. 

If your having rain or cold weather, you might notice these symptoms rev up a bit, sometimes, really reving up!

I truly believe your symptoms are related to wd. I've spent so much money trying to find answers and nothing!

Now that I'm able to see clearly, I'm absolutely sure that my symptoms are wd related. 

Electrical current type vibrating throughout my body, brain shaking, muscle squeezing, all over body soreness etc.

Nausea, dizziness. Tinnitus, floaty boaty feeling like you mentioned awhile back.

All of these symptoms lessened and lve been able to start living again, but the weather changes yesterday and it all came back. Since I now know what these symptoms are, I'm able to distract myself and live with them. It's not easy, no, its terrible.  But knowing is half the battle and acceptance is the other half. 

I guess I've had my first window, but it still feels like I'm healing.

Laughter is so important!

I've been laughing so much I cry, inappropriate sometimes laugher even but I dont care!

I'll keep you in my prayers Lucas. 

I know what a sweetheart you are and I hate to hear you're suffering. We're all going thru our private hell, but its so good to know we have each other when we need to talk or do a buddy check!

Stay away from sugar, sodas, high msg foods, alcohol etc.

There are many things online you can find to mske you laugh. Funny animals and even funny people!

Funny babies and their parents!

Even on Twitter there are so many of these!

Distract! 

I'm uncomfortable, I'm safe, I'm ok!

Do your exposure therapy Lucas, don't let this beat you! You're stronger than you think, trust me!

Kiss that baby for Mr, make her smile!

You're almost there!

Prayers for you and your family!

:therethere:

I am so unbelievably happy to hear you are feeling better :) ❤️ truly that gave me such a big smile. I absolutely know you are going to heal to 100% !!! Such an inspiration. I am going to keep fighting until I am over this mountain!⛰️

• Like 2

[Lu...]

@[En...] thank you for the reply my friend I am so happy your pain has dissipated. It’s crazy because benzo withdrawal also ramps up my health anxiety 100 fold. I pray mine does get better soon as well :) 

• Like 1

[Be...]
Posted (edited)

@[Lu...] I want to ask one thing. Does doing any task which involves arm strength brings more pain and weakness in your arms? Along with low bp? Because sometimes I feel slight better and the moment I do some more work my hand start feeling more weak and it starts paining too and there is low bp too.

I just wanted to know. Thankyou 

Edited by [Be...]

3 hours ago, [[G...] said:

Hi @[...] 

Just came across this thread. May I ask if you experience or experienced muscles pulling in different parts of the body. I have it on my upper body.

Thank you for any hope ❤️

Hi, @[Gi...], yes, i have had any possible sorts of muscle issues all over my body since the beginning of my taper, upper body as well. I feel some muscles recovered. That's why i believe i'm really getting better. And as far as i know pain/ weird sensations mean exactly healing during wd.

Where exactly do you have it on your upper body? How long? Did you have other muscle issues?  Hope we both will heal rather soon:classic_smile: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, [[G...] said:

Thank you so much Kate for replying.

Pleased to hear you are seeing some progress ❤️.

Yes I have these horrendous muscle pulling, twisting, squeezing in my torso and back intermittently taking in turns depending on position. Usually when I sit down it is the abdomen that plays up sometimes feels Leo a squeeze or jerk or seizing up/tightening/pulling. I have had for a year now. I came off cold Turkey from lexapro in February 2023 then I was using Zolpidem for about a month sparingly about twice a week.

These symptoms appear at around April/May last year so I don’t know whether they were caused by lexapro withdrawal or whether it was the z drug or just a mixture of the two due to my brain being already destabilized l have no idea. I had issues with my calves, throat and gluteus muscles alongside tremors as soon as I came off lexapro.

Do you see muscle pulling as capable of recovering? I am so discouraged at this point.  I have had windows but the pain and tightness are always there.

I can’t stand still for more than 5 seconds before I feel my muscles tightening and pulling.

💕

Oh, so sorry for you, really... i have had it all too. You described the sensations very vividly. I also have legs, jaw, diaphragm, back of the head muscles painfully reviving. But there are days when i have almost zero pain and my neck and abdominal muscles stopped torturing me about last fall, although sometimes come back for a few hours.

Yes, i definitely think the muscle pulling&pain mean reviving. All my muscles went flat on benzo and now they're taking pains to be back to normal. At least, i feel smth like this. I'd be more worried if i didn't feel anything. You shouldn't be discouraged. Our muscles just need more time to get better. 

I've also noticed that those who took z-drugs tend to have these issues more often. Just my observations. Know a few of the people here. Some of them say they've already recovered but had it really bad and long. @[Gi...], i do wish you healing and soon!🌤️

[En...]
12 hours ago, [[G...] said:

Hi @[...] 

Just came across this thread. May I ask if you experience or experienced muscles pulling in different parts of the body. I have it on my upper body.

Thank you for any hope ❤️

I have pains in my shoulder blade area down my arms to my wrists. When I'm extremely anxious it hurts bad. When it first happened I thought I was having heart issues and called 911 and went to the hospital got ekg and bloodwork done all came back good. Benzo brain will play tricks on you.

• Like 1

[fa...]
On 22/05/2024 at 13:59, [[G...] said:

Thank you so much Kate for replying.

Pleased to hear you are seeing some progress ❤️.

Yes I have these horrendous muscle pulling, twisting, squeezing in my torso and back intermittently taking in turns depending on position. Usually when I sit down it is the abdomen that plays up sometimes feels Leo a squeeze or jerk or seizing up/tightening/pulling. I have had for a year now. I came off cold Turkey from lexapro in February 2023 then I was using Zolpidem for about a month sparingly about twice a week.

These symptoms appear at around April/May last year so I don’t know whether they were caused by lexapro withdrawal or whether it was the z drug or just a mixture of the two due to my brain being already destabilized l have no idea. I had issues with my calves, throat and gluteus muscles alongside tremors as soon as I came off lexapro.

Do you see muscle pulling as capable of recovering? I am so discouraged at this point.  I have had windows but the pain and tightness are always there.

I can’t stand still for more than 5 seconds before I feel my muscles tightening and pulling.

💕

I wonder if you would benefit from myofascial massage.  

[Gi...]
On 23/05/2024 at 03:40, [[E...] said:

I have pains in my shoulder blade area down my arms to my wrists. When I'm extremely anxious it hurts bad. When it first happened I thought I was having heart issues and called 911 and went to the hospital got ekg and bloodwork done all came back good. Benzo brain will play tricks on you.

Thank you ❤️

• Like 1

[Gi...]
On 28/05/2024 at 01:41, [[f...] said:

I wonder if you would benefit from myofascial massage.  

Thank you ❤️