Benzo Lies That Have Been Busted

[Ri...]

Bless you River Wolf. I know you make it easier for me to get through these times!!

Also, I am starting protocols with Dr Robert Morse because of your helpful mention of him. I am hoping to be able to do some extra healing as I go down! You rock man!

Emily

Really great thread River Wolf!!

I'm early into a new taper, first time I'm doing it with the support of BB makes a huge difference!!... right now I wake up with just about all the lies now I have hope that I can do this  :oXo:

Love and healing  :smitten:

Lightbright

After one has been through a benzo withdrawal, you can see how much of a mind game it is.

There is an extreme amount of mental and emotional trauma associated with withdrawal, and if you can learn from those who have gone before you about what to expect, it can help you manage your thoughts and emotions.

I'm 19 months out and I am still traumatized from what I went through two years ago.

I still need to clear my subconscious mind and my emotional body from that trauma, because I can feel it haunting me. This I plan to do with NLP. I will post my results when I have something to report.

You guys are deserving of a hero's medal for what you are going through.

Please remember this.  :thumbsup:

River  :smitten:

Amen to that River wolf! It is such mental and emotional trauma. I don't know why that I am constantly amazed by how this is non linear which is super frustrating. Had a great day Saturday, not symptom free at all but able to hang out with family at a 9 year old's birthday party without anxiety. That is a miracle from how his birthday party was last year. Then today out driving had one panic attack after another. That is definitely a mental battle for me, I get the feeling that the cars are multiplying and getting bigger and bigger, it all seems nightmarish and surreal. I hate driving anymore, not to mention the awful social anxiety that I never had in all my years, I was quite the opposite until I stopped taking Klonopin.

I know that I will feel traumatized for a while after I get better, if I do that is. Every day, every minute wondering if you are going to flip out and have to be put in a rubber room or as in my case with the driving, not be able to drive home and having to have someone come rescue me. Not a good scene at all! How could you NOT be traumatized is the better question!

Thanks for the encouragement. What is the NLP you are doing?

I have never practiced yoga but I am wondering if that has helped anyone get through this?

You are awesome as usual wolf...

How could you NOT be traumatized is the better question!

Thanks for the encouragement. What is the NLP you are doing?

Thanks for the kind words.

I have not started to clear this trauma yet, but this is one of the hundreds of different ways that NLP can resolve trauma.

This one plays in my head lately: You came off the Xanax last year a couple times but the reinstatements and mini-withdrawals will make this final taper a living hell.

Suffice it to say I'm scared to start my taper. If sleep comes hard now, how worse will it get when I taper? Even though I'm supplementing to rebuild my magnesium levels and working on supporting adrenals....I just have so much mental stuff to overcome. 

:)hi River

So happy to still have you and this blog...your advice and support really helps.  Thank you.  When we last had contact I was having a lot of issues like so many and I can't say that many have resolved as I head into my 10th month.  Still crying, still have the anxiety but am having some good window days and half days but I always fall into the trap of thinking it is over and of course it isn't.  Any advice for me about doing that?  It just ruins the good times and makes the bad times even worse,  I know this.

I am also concerned about facing the trauma of what has happened.  I hope and pray I can let it go.

:smitten:

Galea

:)hi River

So happy to still have you and this blog...your advice and support really helps.  Thank you.  When we last had contact I was having a lot of issues like so many and I can't say that many have resolved as I head into my 10th month.  Still crying, still have the anxiety but am having some good window days and half days but I always fall into the trap of thinking it is over and of course it isn't.  Any advice for me about doing that?  It just ruins the good times and makes the bad times even worse,  I know this.

I am also concerned about facing the trauma of what has happened.  I hope and pray I can let it go.

Galea

I am having the same symptoms as you......I hope you are able to face the trauma. I know I am ready to....I just want my taper over with!! Feels like a never-ending rollercoaster ride! I am sooo grateful for posts from RiverWolf. He is an angel sent here to bless us with his wisdom. I read his posts over and over. Good luck to you Galea!

Emily

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

During my withdrawal when the lies were fierce and coming fast, I could hear my neighbor ride a way on his motorcycle  and it just drove me crazy that my motorcycle days were behind me.

The sound of a nice bike used to be like music to my ears, and because of the wd reaction, it actually scared me.

I didn't drive for a year and a half, and I just sat in a corner and shook from fear. I shook so hard I looked like I had Parkinson's.

The benzo lies were telling me that I was done for life and there was no more fun to be had anywhere anytime - it was over for me.

This week I have been calling for sale ads trying to find another bike. It's time to ride again, and it feels like I am in another world, and on another planet. . . 

What a difference in my mental and emotional state - it really is hard to believe the contrast from then to now. I am calm and serene, and I just started meditating now that I can go to a deep, peaceful place again.

If you are feeling sad because you think the good times are behind you - chalk it up to just another nasty benzo lie.

Benzo Lie - You Will Never Have Any More Fun -        Not Busted  [Busted]

[ae...]

Benzo Lies

I was talking with a friend about the lies that benzos tell us and thought it would be a good idea to start a thread on the topic.

Here are some benzo lies that I previously posted on my blog and thought it would be good to start this thread off with.

Please add some of the lies that you used to believe and now know to be untrue.

This will be very valuable for those who are still under the spell of the lies that benzos tell us. My experience is that our thinking is fundamentally altered by benzo action during tolerance withdrawal and during tapering, and that we are not actually thinking – we are at the effect of chemical storms in our brains. And we think that these are our thoughts. And worse yet, we BELIEVE these thoughts. But what we are experiencing is chemical and electrical processes that occur during the body’s attempt to adjust these chemicals and processes on the fly.

Now that I am feeling better, it’s easy to see some of the lies the benzos tell us. They are plain to see in hindsight. But for those of you who are having troubles with taper symptoms, or pre or post-taper symptoms, I wanted to help you to see  some of the lies that the benzos have told me, and may be telling you too.  Hopefully, you will be able to use this to understand more about your experience and maybe you could use this post as a template for reality.

Benzo Lie # 1. There is no hope.  This one is nasty. Do not believe this lie. It can take you down fast. It is not true, even though it feels very true. For me, this hopelessness was a result of benzo created chemical imbalances coloring my thinking into a perceived end of time. I could not imagine time extending for more than 3 months into the future. There was no way I could think of any possible outcome at all – not even a negative one, and all of my imagined outcomes of less than 3 months were negative. If you cannot imagine a positive future for yourself, know you are under the trance of lie # 1.

Benzo Lie # 2. My Life is ruined.  Do not believe this lie. You are in a temporary state of withdrawal. It is an awful state, but it is temporary and you will move out of it and have a life that you can mold into what you had before or one that is better than before. When you can think clearly, you are able to fashion a life that is better than what happened to you when you were tranquilized and your life fell apart as a result of being drugged. When you are out of withdrawals and free from the effects of their symptoms, you will be in a better position to solve problems instead of having them take you down.

Benzo Lie # 3. These benzo effects will last forever.  I see this lie as being conditional.  The lie part is that if you are making decisions that will move yourself toward health and away from benzos, it will not last forever. There WILL be an end to the benzo-related troubles. As you get further away from benzos and their effects, the less the benzos will act on you.  If you make benzo related decisions that move yourself away from natural health and into benzo use, you may end up in a never ending loop of having side effects being confused as diseases, and having benzo symptoms being medicated with more benzos, and in turn, more and more drug and symptom interactions and more and more suffering.

Benzo Lie # 4. I will never be happy again  This lie broke my heart. I let this lie rob me of my dreams. I am living proof that you can totally believe this lie and live to prove it wrong. I never thought I could ever be happy ever again. I’m not only happy now, but happier than I was before I started on benzos. I feel like I have just vanquished a dragon, and there is a great deal of satisfaction in that. Now, I am happy. I am happy just because I exist and because life is available to me. There is such joy in coming back from the edge and being able to function again.

I felt like there was no way happiness could ever be attained by someone who is going through all of this suffering and torture and ineptitude, and now I’m happy.  I am the guy that was scared to death of my cat for 2 years. I was freaked out because the gardener was going to come on Wednesday and scare me with the noise of his equipment and today it’s Monday and I’m worried about it already. I couldn't drive for over a year. . . and on and on.

If you are feeling that your happiness is behind you, do not despair. You cannot absolutely know that your best days are behind you. The effects of benzo action will make you believe you cannot be happy. It is not true. After your body begins making the feel good chemicals and you are out of wd, your life can get wonderful again.

These are just a few of the benzo lies that have I have busted for myself. And there are many, many more.

Try this on - If it makes you sad, it's probably a benzo lie.

You CAN be happy again. It will feel great, and you’ll love it more than ever.  :thumbsup:

Please post the benzo lies that you have busted so others can learn from your experience.

would love to come back & read this when I can see straight

Thank you River Wolf,

This is a list of lies Fliprain wrote for me during a time of depression

Big Fat Benzo Lies,

1. I'm different. I'll never heal fully.

2. I will grow old and die alone.

3. I'll never be able to support myself again.

4. Why is everyone else feeling good and doing more and I'm not?

5. I tapered too fast, too slow.

6. I was kindled, poly drugged...it's different for me.

7. These symptoms  can't be just benzos. I must have a horrible disease.

8. I'm ok right now, but down the road, I'm going to have an event that sets me back.

9. My CNS is fried and will never really recover.

10. I have wasted my life.

Molly :smitten:

i still have all of these benzo lies. comes and goes. when in a window, i don't have them as strong. but boy, it's hard to talk myself down from the ladder when i do have them. where is Molly? hope she is okay.

OMG, I've listened to all these lies. Hard to break loose from them but we desperately need to.

Thanks for this thread. I particularly find it hard to deal with when family thinks w/d is simply hypochondria.

Very difficult to deal with THEM, much less the recovery from benzos.

[68...]

I can relate to number 7 right now.

Something must be wrong with me. Just obsessive thinking...

I HATE it.

And no matter how many people there are around me, helping me, I feel so alone...

Maybe even lonelier than if I would actually be alone, if that makes sense.

Se ding you all  :hug: for healing....

[ae...]

I can relate to number 7 right now.

Something must be wrong with me. Just obsessive thinking...

I HATE it.

And no matter how many people there are around me, helping me, I feel so alone...

Maybe even lonelier than if I would actually be alone, if that makes sense.

Se ding you all  :hug: for healing....

I struggle with #1

Best wishes to ya

#10 is big right now! I feel as though I broke everything to pieces, now that I'm feeling a lot better I'm not sure how to pick them up!

• 1 month later...

This really is a great post.

Here are my benzo lies:

- This isn't withdrawals, you're actually going crazy.

- Your dosage was too small compared to everyone else's, so this is all in your head.

- Every moment of your future will feel this anxious and sad

- All of your memories of your life before, you felt this anxious and sad

- You should leave your boyfriend, because he's the real reason you feel so poorly

- Your friends don't want you around because they're tired of your negativity

- You should just be alone and stop dragging everyone down.

- You screwed up your taper, you will be in w/d forever and lose control of your life

Plus many more.

Hopefully I will see the truth soon

Thank you for posting xox

This one from Lotusflower's list is the one I can relate to most right now:

- All of your memories of your life before, you felt this anxious and sad

• 3 weeks later...