Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

Hi now-power...

Yes that is advice... I have been on remeron for almost a year now.. Prior to remeron I was 12% body fat and now I'm almost 15% body fat.  I am a big gym buff (girl) and healthy eater!

So I've tried all sorts of diets and excersing regimens to get this weight off and nothing works.

But I did an experiment and didn't go to the gym for 2 weeks and walla I lost weight.. And it was not muscle that I lost. My pschiatrist says ipthe weight I've put in may be muscle and I'm like yay I wish.. But I know it's fat and water!

About the diet: Good fats include oils, almonds, salmon, ets. So when I mentioned high good fats I wasn't saying eat junk food.  So a 30-35% fat, 35-40% protien and 25-30% carb spilt is a pretty good one. Carbs should come from veggies and some fruit. I like including a kind bar as a snack during the day. It looks like its high in fat, but the fat is good fat and the sugar is nautal and comes from the fruit that is in it.

I'll check out the warrior diet, it sounds like the palleo diet.. But I'm sure there is a differnece.

Yes I agree with you about the omegas, make sure u r taking straight vitamin E with it or the omega won't absorb into ur system.

I too take magnesium, it's great!

have a good evening everyone!

P.s did anyone look into the book I mentioned? "Back to Life" I know their tapering plan is going to work!

Thanks, c

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ja...]

• [Co...]

• [ja...]

• [no...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Coralashley, where can that book be ordered/downloaded? Amazon? I couldn't find a place to order.

Thanks for the heads-up on it - I would like to read.

Good vibes to all remeron taperers - hope you are all well - or getting there.  :)

-Dave

This is where you can buy the book.. It talks about taking Tahitian Noni juice, and it it working. (but u have to buy the right kind, there r a lot of fakes out ther). It has to be in a glass bottle and it has to be 100% Tahitian Noni juice, Noni juice from anywhere else and in any other bottle will not be pure.

Take less noni juice than what it says too on the bottle...take it 1st thing on an empty stomache take 1tsp every morning until u r off the med u r tapering off of and then take 2tsp.

http://www.benzobookreview.com/Back2Life.html

Please read and let me know what u think. :-)

Blessings!

The other thing I'd like to add when using remeron and combating weight gain. Stop eating 3 hours before bedtime, I found that also helps keep the weight down!

How is everyone doing out there?

Anyone download the book I mentioned or start the Tahitian Noni juice?

Thanks, c

Hi Coral Ashley

How are YOU doing?  I take it you didn't go to rehab for that last bit of Valium.

I am still waiting to stabilise on 6.5mg Mirtazapine.  It is 3 weeks now but because ofy past AD and Benzo history I have been told my system is hypersensitive and it may take months to be fully stable. Once that happens I will stay on it for another 2 or 3 months before doing a very long slow taper.  But I am seeing some minor improvements now.  The anxiety symptoms are pretty hard to bear though.

Good luck to all of you and especially to you Dave in recommencing your taper.

Angel

Hi Angel and all,

Just a quick check-in. I was set to cut tonight 5/27 - but I jumped the gun a bit and cut Saturday, 5/25. So last night was my second night @ 6.8mg. So far, not so bad - but we know it takes a few days (or weeks) to feel the cuts. Still, I am hopeful that this new micro-taper plan will prove a better fit for my sensitive nervous system. I've had a few minor symptoms since the cut, but nothing to complain about really.

How are you feeling Angel? Peaks and valleys, peaks and valleys.

Coral Ashley, I have not had an opportunity to download the book yet. I take it you have? I'm going to ride this current taper plan for a bit and see where it takes me.

I wish everyone peace and healing. I will be checking in to see where everyone is at - and will keep you all up-to-speed on my progress or lack thereof.

Did you all get to see the benzo study by Catherine Pittman posted on the general withdrawal board? Pretty interesting stuff. I took part in the study and was very glad to - and glad she did this study. Included the link below in case you didn't see.

http://www.adaa.org/sites/default/files/Pittman121.pdf

xoxo Dave

Hello, quick question... One of the side effects I have from going on remeron and stopping it 3x was shortness of breath.. Or feeling like I wasn't going to breath... Did or does anyone else have this as a side effect.. I hate it and it can be scary! I have found when I've stopped remeron it goes away after about a day and when I had to go back on it then I feel that way again until the med is back in my system.

Yes a didn't go into detox, I am going to continue doing this myself... I just really wanted off the little benzo I am on and I thought they'd be able to do it and make sure I'm safe.

I also wanted them to help me get off remeron but I realized that this too needs to be tapered off very slowly!

I did buy the book, "back to life" and I have read it. I'm going to start that tapper 2-3 months after I've stopped the benzo taper and am off of it 100%. Which should be in a few weeks. I'm excited about coming off of remeronz dn losing the weight for good! I am just scared off the breathing issues I get from it/coming off of it!

Obeservation: I have exercised pretty hard the past 5 days and I've gained weight from it... I went surfing for 2 1/2 hours on Sunday (I'm in Florida) and u would of thought I'd of lost weight but I put on 1/2 a pound... That is why I'm saying when I don't work out I loose weight.. I know this med makes me retain a lot of water... So now I'm going to sit back and once again not work out for 5 days and c what happens.. C if I loose weight.

Interesting note about the breathing symptom, Coral-A. I have not experienced this, but did to a degree in benzo withdrawal. I wonder if w/ the Remeron, maybe it has to do w/ the histamine impact? When I tapered low on the Remeron a year ago before benzo hell broke loose and I went back on it, I had crazy itchy skin. Like as if I'd rolled around in poison ivy or something. So because it has an affect on histamine receptors, is it logical to surmise that it could be a result of your histamine levels (and/or receptors) trying to adjust to the lack of Remeron? Just a thought.

I personally think you made the right move in your tapering choice vs. the detox. I mean down-regulated GABA receptors are down-regulated, no matter how you go off the drug. Time is going to fix it all. I think (and hope) your tapering choice will be more gentle. It seems to be, from what I have read from other buddies' experiences.

Last night was my 3rd night on my new Remeron dose - 6.8mg. - the micro-taper in action. I slept well and feel generally "OK" this morning. So.... fingers are crossed. I know I won't feel cuts for a week, but I'd like to think I'll feel next to nothing w/ such a small reduction. Will let you all know.

Healing vibes...

-Dave

I also have itchy skin, especially when I'm waking up. Recently I get the occasional brain zap, very disturbing. My sleep is still not great but it's improving. I've been in Spain for a week and I'm JUST adjusting. I've been taking melatonin for the past 3 days and it's helping a lot. I was waking up every hour to pee, and after taking 1 mg of melatonin I don't feel the urge to urinate constantly. Last year while on benzo w/d I tried melatonin twice and both times I woke up feeling suicidally depressed. I read here in BB that normal melatonin tablets are usually too potent, so I cut it to 1 mg and it's working wonders, much better than the higher doses. I'm actually surprised.

I don't know why I'm having a harder time withdrawing from my last bit of remeron. During my previous attempt I didn't have so many symptoms. But fortunately they're short-lived (apart from my insomnia, which I'm treating with melatonin).

In Spain I've been unable to watch what I eat and I'm actually losing a little bit of weight (and I'm eating TONS). I'm never going to understand weight gain/loss on this drug.

Coralashley, I did buy (and read) the Back to Life book a while ago and I also got the Noni Jouice. The Noni Juice did nothing for me as far as I know, and I stopped drinking it after reading articles linking it to liver toxicity (and it was the real Noni Juice). I did read the withdrawal protocols for antidepressants, and I'm planing to follow that schedule with my last dose of remeron. I believe that alternating doses might sometimes be desirable to get rid of antidepressants.

Good luck to everyone with their tapers and symptoms, wishing you all a speedy recovery,

Tiger Lily

I'm sooo thankful to have u all to talk to about all this!

I'm going back to my old ways of eating when I was dieting for a figure show. I know my metabolism is a lot slower than it used to be on remeron.. So I'm going on a 12 week diet I know is supposed to work and I'll let u all know how it goes.

Non-power- good point about the hystimine! I am alegeric to benedyl, I took Tylenol pm once and it has benedyl in it to help people sleep and I was sooooo itchy all I've, it was horrible!

So maybe I'm allergic to remeron a little bit.. I just know that I hate the breathing thing! I can handle the rest, I think, but the breathing thing is scary. At some points it feels like I won't remember to breath and I know it's not true b/c our bodies all built by God to breath naturally!

Tiger lily- yeah so u do have the book then..

How long have u been off ur benzo's? And how long have u been tapering off remeron now?

let me know how alternating the doses, as the book show, goes for u!

;)

Coral, I have been off benzos for four months now. If it weren't for the remeron issues, I'd say I'm 80% healed. I felt quite ill for four weeks after my last dose of Valium and then start seeing major improvement.

Angel, yes, I'm in Spain and the Mediterranean diet is working wonders for me :)

Good to hear from you T. Lily - sounds like you are having a good time abroad?  :thumbsup:

Thinking of everyone and wishing you all the best healing, today and every day.

Last night was night 4 of my most recent cut - I won't say I am feeling no symptoms, but everything is manageable at this point.

:)

-Dave

So glad Dave.  I probably won't be checking on here so much for a while as I have enough on my plate with this CT stabilisation and I'm not sure I want to know what awaits me yet! Had a terrible day yesterday with extreme depression but today not too bad. I think it is happening very slowly.

I am getting some therapy to deal with the symptoms later today.

All the best to everyone

Angel xxx

Dave, it's wonderful that you're not experiencing major problems with your recent cuts! It seems that the super slow method is working well :)

Angel, I'm in Madrid and loving it. I hope you like Marbella too.  :thumbsup:

Nice to hear from  you all! Tonight I'll cut another dose (my last before jumping, 0.375 mg). I plan to stay on it for as long as it's necessary, and at some point I'll start alternating doses until I stop taking it altogether. But let's see first how I do with this cut.

Peace and healing,

Tiger Lily

Hi Tiger Lily.  Marbella is our main home. We just did a barbecue in the nice weather with our friends and our dog!

Will be watching with interest how the last part of your taper goes. You must be so relieved to be nearly off!  I may be picking your brains in 3+ years when I am at that stage!

Angel xx

I'm having horrific sleep problems on the Mirt.  I don't know if this is stabilisation problems or not.  I get about 3 or 4 hours sleep immediately then I wake up and it won't let me get back to sleep. I am exhausted!

To be honest the thought of a 3 year taper with these sleep problems fills me with dread and I don't know if I can do it

Is anyone else having these problems?

Thanks

Angel

I hear you, Angel, I have exactly the same problem. I go for days with 4-5 hours of intermitent sleep and then, when I think I can't take it any longer, I collapse for 8-10 hours. Unfortunately, the bad nights outnumber the good ones by far. Last night was particularly bad. I woke up about 6 times to go to the bathroom in a period of 10 hours, and I slept only 4. I was having chest pressure and itchy skin. I'm exhausted, and I have already spent most part of the day in bed. Melatonin seems to help, but it can't be taken too often as it can have its own set of complications. Last night I cut my dose, but I'll go back to my previous dose tonight, I need to sleep as I have to give a conference this weekend.

I know what you say about having to wait so much to get rid of the drug; I never thought that it was going to take me more than a year to withdraw from 3.75 mg. The only thing that keeps me cheerful is to know that, even though I suffer, I still do my job and the things I cherish. I won't allow the remeron to take that from me.

Much love,

Tiger Lily

Yes that's exactly what I'm scared of.  I am having a CT from hell and the thought of a long taper from hell with no sleep is going to finish me off!

Tiger Lily was sleep okay earlier on and was the taper manageable so far?  My son gets married next year and I really want to be okay even though I will be tapering and i am really worried. Am feeling g so bad today from lack of sleep. Finding it hard to be positive today.

Also I am getting as a w/d terrible Akathisia (internal restlessness).  It makes me feel very hopeless too. I know I am in CT w-d and symptoms are often viscious.  How are the w /ds during your taper?  Are they ever unbearable at times?

Angel xx

Angel, sleep started being an issue again after I completed my first remeron taper. Since I reinstated I haven't been able to sleep well for more than a couple of days at a time. I also have a cluster of symptoms I didn't have in my previous attempt to get off remeron, but they are usually short-lived and manageable.  I guess it takes a long long while for our bodies to feel the withdrawal and to adjust to it. My days are a merry-go-round of symptoms, I'm experiencing a different one every day, but not for long. They're usually gone by the time I'm out of bed (except from insomnia, which haunts me relentlessly). I also have my moments of despair, but I keep reminding myself that I've made it  this far and there's a beautiful life awaiting me. I can even taste what it's going to be like when I'm having a good day. That's what keeps me going.

Congratulations on your son's wedding! That's certainly something to look forward to, isn't it?

Thanks.  How on earth am I going to deal with 3 years of no sleep??  I can't tell you how scared I am and also worried for myself

Hi Angel and Lily!

Angel why is it going to take 3 yrs to get off remeron?

If you are able too the book "back to life" shows a taper off the amount ur on to only take 3.5 months.

3 years doesn't sound right!

I tired to taper from .8 to .6 and went back up to .7.

My sleep isn't as good, but its betterr when i do thsis:

2 hrs before I go to Bed I make sure my face is washed, I brush my teeth, etc and I have everything I need to get done done... Then I make sure I'm not laying in bed but in the living room on the couch with all the lights off. While I do this I make sure there r no distractions, etc. and then I find myself getting sleepy.. So by bed time I go lay in bed and sometime I'll fall asleep right away and sometimes not... But i haven't fallen alsleep in :30 min I get up and lay in a recliner and turn on a boring show and then when I'm nodding off to sleep I get back into bed.

Also Angel are you taking on Omega 3 & vitamin e? Also what about magnesium?

They say u should never lay in bed for anything else other than sleep and sex. Also if u can't fall asleep then get out of bed and do what I just said in the illustration above.

I know it works b/c I am doing it.

:-)

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would introduce myself. I''m now 26 months or so off from tapering off the benzo but have been tapering off an anti depressant (mirtazapine- dropped half from 15 mg to 7.5mg from May-July last year) and Sam-e (dropped half from 1.2g- 600mg from July to Feb this year). I've definitely had improvement over the last 2 years. When I first stopped I couldn't do anything much except sit on the lounge, couldn't cook or shop or anything. Now I'm almost living life normally- do normal activities most of the time but with great effort. The physical symptoms have just about gone. I've no longer got benzo belly or muscle pain which were both big problems. My cognitive function have improved enormously and I think that that is largely behind my ability to get on and do the stuff that needs to be done (I've got young children and I work very much part time from home). I even travelled overseas to speak at a conference a little while back though it was incredibly, incredibly difficult to do and I often thought that I would completely freak out.  All that said, I feel like this is never going to end. I keep waiting for a big improvement that is just not coming. I have a lot of fatigue, I am always exhausted. I have insane anxiety most of the time and often bad depression as well. When I have better days life feels manageable but there are not very many OK days and I know that when I start tapering off the mirtazapine again later this year that things will get much, much worse. It was horrible last year- I had to stop tapering because it I could see myself cycling downwards and it was getting dangerous. Going through another withdrawal when I've not recovered yet from the BZ WD is scary!  Anyway I will not begin tapering the mirt until later in the year (after another OS trip- don't know how I will do it). These drugs are nasty, nasty are they not?

Ru