Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

Thanks for your continued support Magrita

Yes Realitu. This is a very nasty drug and I'm having a hell if a time.  Presently I am waiting to stabilise and I am having the most horrendous heartburn which is not a withdrawal symptom but a side effect and I'm not sure what to do about it

Good luck and I hope you sleep tonight

Angel

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ja...]

• [Co...]

• [ja...]

• [no...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I like what you say, Dave, that it's better to do something rather than sit down and suffer! That's why I go to the gym (and come back and moan here, hahaha).  I feel so gross (it's not yet 20 pounds but I feel like a balloon).

I just hope that I'm able to have some control over my weight while traveling... I want so bad to put this story behind me. I feel so close to the end, but at the same time I feel it's impossible to be completely off this darn drug. It's my 3rd or 4th attempt, and I've been on such a lose dose most of the time... (sigh)

Yes, I'll return here every so often to check on everyone. I'm proud that you people are fighting this devil.

Tiger lily, I was thinking about you today. I'd like to help you by looking at your diet & exercise... Please give me a daily view as to what you eat and what you do when you go to the gym. Plus, your height and normal weight and then the weight you are t now after taking remeron.

I've been able to lose 3-4 pounds..

Maybe I can help.

- C

Hi Coralashley, I weighted 102 lbs while in benzo w/d (I was underweight) and right now I weigh 119. I didn't mind the first 5 lbs, I actually needed them, but not the rest... My height is 5'2 and I have a small frame. I avoid sugar and starchy food and I try to follow the South Beach diet as much as possible (high protein, low sugar). I'd be really interested in hearing how you've managed to lose weight while on remeron!

By the way, how are you doing with your remeron cut? My sleep is a bit erratic at 0.75 mg (waking up every hour, but luckily going back to sleep), so I'll be holding this dose for longer, but other than that I'm doing well.

Tiger Lily

Day 11 on. 6.5mg was the most horrendous I have experienced to date.  I had a whole day of waves of horrendous heart burn, severe agitation where I wanted to jump out of my skin, total no appetite ( that seems to be a constant and I have lost so much weight), nausea and fatigue.  I call it 'triple socket day' ie the kind of day where you want to stick your five fingers in a live electrical socket.

It was relentless. Normally the evenings tend to be little calmer but not last night - I was being tossed into one wave after another.

And normally when I go to bed and take the poison, I am calmer and able to drift off. Not last night. Nausea, anxiety and agitation prevented me from sleeping so, in desperation at about 4 am hanging just lain there in misery, I took a Z drug and I got 5 hours of welcome sleep, my only relief.

I dread to think what today will bring. Things usually get worse as the day goes on.

This is horrfiic. Every bit as bad, if not worse than benzo withdrawals. 

Alto suggests I drop to 6mg but I'm worried to destabilise myself further so I think I will try and ride it out at this dose.

I have no choice but to plough on through this nightmare and give it time to stabilise .

How is everyone else doing?

Angela,  your last post is exactly what I went through last night.  I have gotten about 5 hours of sleep in 5 nights.  0 hours the last 2 nights.  Feel like I am being tortured by sleep deprivation.  I need sleep bad.  I had it bad with benzos.  But the wanting to jump out of my skin with remeron has got to be the worst thing I have ever experienced.  I am so angry I got myself in this position.  If I don't stabilize I may never sleep again.  I would think my body would fall asleep from sheer exhaustion.  But no it just stays awake.  If I up dose then I will just have more to come off of.  Maybe I should just cold turkey.  Feels like it now anyway.  Thanks.

I know exactly how you feel. Did this happen because you went from 3.75 to 2.50mg as that's about a 35% drop and you are obviously desensitised like I am because of our benzo history?

Please don't do cold turkey as tempting as it. It will throw your nervous system into disarray like mine is now.

We just have to get through this

Angel

I did go from 3.75 to 2.50 and it was a big mistake.  Then I went back to 3.75 and it really hasn't done anything for me.  I feel like I am getting worse if that is even possible.  I just feel like I am going to rip out of my skin.  I am going to have to up dose to try to stabilize.  Man I hope it works.  Thanks

Hey don't upsize. You didn't explain the jump down and up on the SA site. I am sure it is because of the big drop down and up this happened and you will need to stabilise on 3.75. If I were you I would edit your post about the jump as that makes a difference

Wait for Alto too

2 weeks into this 6.5 mg regime.

It has started to settle a little bit.  Anxiety and GI problems, weakness and general crappiness persist and I did manage to sleep last night.  Am still in the windows and waves pattern so who knows what is going to happen now but will keep posting.

How is everyone else doing?

Hi Angel, and All,

Angel - very glad to hear perhaps things are settling to a degree - you deserve this after the rough go you've had of late!

I have, for the most part, stabilized. That is not to say things are always rosy. I still have some pretty massive whooshes - especially when life circumstances prove challenging. But overall, GI stuff has settled, dizziness has abated, depression and anxiety are lower, and weakness is less as well. I've been able to exercise again. And sleep has stabilized, though I just began using an eye mask when I sleep - as apparently that helps w/ melatonin. I have no idea, but the complete lack of light (from alarm clocks, etc) has been very helpful.

So I have decided to follow the micro-taper suggestion from Alto and the folks over at the Surviving Antidepressant site.  I think I need this. I think, rather I know, that my CNS is very sensitive. So, the sort of watered down version of that as I understand it is to make the smallest possible cut - for me w/ the liquid remeron, that is .2mg. when you make this cut, you hold for a week. if there are no adverse symptoms, you make that same cut again. when you feel any symptomatic change, you hold and stabilize. I think this will give me more control in a situation that generally lacks any control at all!! I'm going to hold here in relatively-stable-land for another 7 days I think. Just to be sure all is as secure as possible. I realize this micro-taper is probably familiar to those who did the same in benzo withdrawal. I had such a rapid benzo taper that this is all new to me. The research has proved enlightening.

Glad to hear from everyone on this board. We are doing good things for good reasons and we should all have great hope in the outcome.

Healing and love to all,

-Dave

Hi Dave

Glad to hear things are a bit better and I shall watch with interest how that taper of yours pans out.

I am getting different symptoms daily.  Today's is really bad anxiety. How do you deal with it when you get it?  As I find it pretty intolerable. I am trying to be more positive about this all. It is the fear of the unknown, the fact I have to go through this all again and the day to day feeling crappy and for some time to come. I am also constantly tired. Do you find this and how do you cope?

Am definitely trying to be more positive and strong for my children and my husband.  It's not always easy but I do find it helps to be positive otherwise I sink into it. I do panic sometimes though!

All the best

Angel

Hi Angel,

Yeah - The symptoms kind of morph daily for me too. I don't tend to feel the same stuff every day. I haven't really experienced anything "new" in awhile, but each symptom sort of cycles. Which I attribute to the nervous system trying to "get it right and stabilize." That's me trying to look at things positively.  :) But I believe it too. Our bodies/minds WANT equilibrium.

The anxiety is complete shit. And like you, I find it intolerable. Sometimes to the point of literally wanting to crawl out of my own skin. The only coping mechanism I have is to wait it out. I know that probably sounds pathetic. But it's strange. It's like an engine that revs and revs and revs and I think it is going to just explode - but then, it cycles down again. It never explodes. And I guess I just remind myself of that. How cyclical it all is.

I think in the aftermath of all this garbage, this is what we're going to be left to contend with. It's cognitive restructuring. Because for me at least, there was anxiety before the drugs. Not THIS kind of insane anxiety, but obviously the anxiety that made me reach for the answer in a pill in the first place. So I expect that this anxiety (the pre-drug anxiety) will still be present when I am thru withdrawing. And what the goal will be, for me, is to come to know that suffering - come to know that anxiety. And to understand that it WON'T explode. And that is will pass like waves breaking and returning to the sea. I consider this veritable war we are experiencing now w/ withdrawal as sort of boot-camp for managing any residual anxiety that lingers after. I think if we can make it through this, we will laugh in the face of the anxiety that we struggled with prior.

Does this make sense or help at all?

Dave xx

Hang in there, Angel!  :)

I know the rubbish days all to well.  :( And know that better days come too.

Thinking of you - I admire your strength and perseverance as we face this adversity.

Please keep us up to speed at how you are faring as you desire and feel able.

-Dave xx

Thanks Dave. Xxx. I think I will have to let nature take its course and for his all to settle which I hope it will but will check in from time to time to check your progress

Angel xx

Hi Angel :hug:

You can do this hun, it will get a little easier I promise you. Try and keep positive, I know its hard to stay positive when your going through hell, but try.

Just move forward as slow as you need to, I know your suffering but you will be so glad you did this :thumbsup:

((hugs))

Magrita :smitten:

Thanks so much Magrita xx

I don't think I am going to be anywhere in a position to even consider a taper for some months until am truly stabilised (if that ever happens!)

Gracias

Angel xx

You WILL stabilize Angel - you will. A day at a time, sister.

I'm not trying to bounce back from a c/t attempt like you are. I think you are doing very well, despite the yuckiness you are feeling. Very proud of your efforts. Hang in there - and all at your own pace!

-Dave

Hi All,

I am willing to call this stabilization now. So after about 1 month, I have stabilized on 7mg. (from 7.5)

If all continues, I will plan to make my next cut next Monday night, 5/27. I will cut by 0.2mg and hold for 1 week and follow the micro-taper plan I mentioned previously.

I will report on the hell, or lack thereof, that ensues from this drop.  :)

My best wishes to everyone using this thread - check in and update as you can. Hold tight on your doses if possible, resist the urge to tweak, let things settle. It took me about a month to settle down on a .5mg drop. So time, TIME TIME TIME TIME... It's important. As an obstacle AND and ally. Time. It's really all we've got. And each other.

XX

Dave

Hi all, I'm finally abroad and it's challenging. Jet lag is really hard. I haven't slept well in the last 3 days. I'm still holding my dose (0.75 mg). Other than having insomnia and feeling pretty spent, I'm fine. Happy to be on holidays.

Dave, I'm glad that you have finally stabilized. I hear what you say about having many symptoms that don't last too long. One day I wake up itching all over, another day I have RLS, then tinnitus, etc.

Someone told me that recently in the UK remeron has been forbidden for people in benzo w/d. Too late for us, I guess...

If I could only get 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep, I'd be blessed...

Peace and healing,

Tiger Lily

Good of you to check in, T. Lil!  :)

Happy that you are thrilled to be on holiday - I hope it is perfect in every way for you!

That's REALLY interesting about Remeron not being used w/ those withdrawing from benzos in the U. Kingdom. I wonder how recent that is? I've actually read a few academic papers that recommended mirt for benzo withdrawal precisely for its affect on appetite, depression, and sleep. But, as we all know, the recommendations change all the time.

Anyway, here is one of the papers I read:

Have a great time and check in when you can!

-Dave

Hey all,

I am still falling off from CT (Klonopin 1mg x 12 years---> Xanax 1mg x 5 months--->Restoril 7.5mg x 2 weeks....CT)

Why am I NOT surprised that Remeron will also cause problems???

I should have known this I guess.

I could not find any information about Remeron in January 2013 when my PCP wanted me to start Remeron...I see her tomorrow to check my blood pressure. I am down now to taking Atenolol 12.5mg q day and my blood pressure has been low with low heart rate...I am not surprised that I do not have HBP....Benzo's are poison...

I am going to ask my PCP to write a script for liquid Remeron 1mg = 1ml...She will think I am crazy...but I have done enough to my poor brain.

I plan on tapering slowly....

So I have been on Remeron 15mg x 5 months and I am starting to have windows everyday and getting my balance back..etc...not sure I will start this soon, but I would rather just hurt with both withdrawals for a while and start losing weight too....

I am getting fat fast on Remeron...and I think it is screwing with my vision as well as my balance...

FAT + Vision problems + Balance issues = Come off quickly (within reason)

I will check back as often as I can..I need a little break from BB...

Much love to all,

Causing

Hello everyone, i have some great advice... Please download and buy the book written by Pam Armstrong, "Back To life." it will give you a way to taper off the remeron safely.

I decided not to go to detox and will continue on the taper. Almost off Valium and I'm sooo thankful.. Then in 2 months I'll start tapering off remeron.. Or earlier if I feel up to it.

Tiger lily, I've tried so many experimental diets etc... I have found that not excerising helps.. I knows it's hard to believe, but I've read that remeron causes you to retain water in the cells rather than around the cells, so water weight is soooo huge with remeron. I know i am caring a lot of water weight and it's not like taking a dialectic will hep... B/c of where the water is being stored.

Try not exercising for a week and eat high good fats, high protien and low carbs (you can eat lots of veggies though).

See if that helps you...

Let me know what you all think about their Tapering plan, it's nothing I've ever seen before but it makes sense... They're is even a hot line number you can call for help, which I did today.. I live in the US so it was an international call but well worth it!

They are sooo wonderful!

Xoxo

Wow, I feel like I dodged a bullet...

My doctor tried to put me on Remeron, because he thought the pain I was going through was brought on by stress. He also wanted me to gain weight, and said it'd improve my sleep.

It had the opposite effect for the first week and asked to be taken off it, no questions asked. So glad I didn't stay on it, after reading the horror stories!

Best of luck to you all! I was on Citalopram for a very long time, and let me tell you, quitting without a proper taper plan was hell (I thought a week would be enough at the time). Lovely psychiatrist I had, not telling me everything and kicking me off benzos cold-turkey after a year of being on them. The reason I'm in the mess of benzos in the first place. I know it can be rough, Citalopram was hell for me.

But I understand the pain you all are going through! Doctors need to let patients know about the withdrawals of these. Nobody thinks about withdrawals from a medication like this.

Hi Causing - I think it's great you're going to do the 1ml/1mg liquid preparation to taper the Remeron. It is what I am doing and I feel that thus far, it is a helpful way to go. Best of luck and do keep checking in!

Hi Birdman - In terms of the tinnitus, I would say Remeron could. Because tinnitus is also an AD withdrawal symptom. That said, I experienced intermittent tinnitus during the harder moments of benzo withdrawal and only very occasional, mild tinnitus now coming off the Remeron. So is it the Remeron, or the underlying benzo withdrawal? As my psychiatrist likes to say, we're just not going to know. But I think Remeron could cause tinnitus on its own.

Hi Coralashley - is this advice

Try not exercising for a week and eat high good fats, high protien and low carbs (you can eat lots of veggies though).

based at all on Ori Hoffmekler's Warrior Diet? Just curious, it seems kind of on par. Anyway, the warrior diet is a good option for losing weight on Remeron. It has helped me tremendously. It's not a trend diet so much as a style of eating. I encourage people to investigate it. It's not particularly radical, the weight drops off w/ relative ease, there is room for improvisation, and it detoxifies the entire system rather well.

So, for anyone following - I still feel stable. Mornings aren't confetti and streamers, but that is ok. I usually awake w/ a revving of cortisol and a little nausea, but as soon as I get up and move, it dissipates rapidly. I have some dizziness, but this isn't a withdrawal effect - it is a side effect. Remeron has always made me dizzy. As long as nothing changes for me between now and then, I will cut by .2mg this coming Monday and hold for 1 week.

Also, just as a note - I do supplement. And I do follow the Warrior Diet. I encourage people to check out the warrior diet - I have read it and practiced it enough time that I can answer some questions, so feel free. In terms of supplementation, I have had great luck with the following:

Nordic Natural Ultimate Omega fish oil - 1 tsp daily in the evening

Magnesium Malate - 100 mg as need and always before bed.

Magnesium Citrate in drinkable form (Natural Calm brand) - 1 to 2 tsp daily mixed w/ water.

I SWEAR BY the magnesium and the high quality fish oil. I feel a difference. I know some have not had luck or have had atypical responses to it, but for me, it makes a qualitative difference.

I also occasionally supplement w/ theanine and hawthorne for the blood pressure issues I have had due to the mirt withdrawal.

Blood pressure currently on average ranging 117/75 to 134/89. pulse varies - usually 60s to 70s except after peak exercise where it can remain 90s to 105 for quite sometime - I blame this on the Remeron, but also my lost conditioning. But to put it in perspective, before I was exercising again and before the theanine and hawthorne supplementation, my regular BP readings in benzo AND mirt withdrawal were 140s/100s and my pulse was ALWAYS north of 90. I think the magnesium helps this too.

Dave xoxo