Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

Hey Ruby. I get these OCD type thoughts. Like some nights in bed my brain just flashes random nonsense words, verbiage, or scenes that make NO sense. What sucks is I can't stop them. They come and go. I tend to do this during the day some too. Repeating songs in my head. Or if my wife says something to me, for example "hey honey". I may repeat those words "hey honey" a few times in my head. I think its just an overactive mind. I just can't seem to tell a difference b/w withdrawal or preexisting anxiety. I've had anxiety like this years ago. But its been SOooo long, so its hard to tell. I don't think there is a problem with me taking a piece of remeron here and there to help cope with sleep. I'm going to give myself a couple more weeks. If I can't shake this, then in will start remeron again. And just stay on for a while. I can't continue to live like this. I know whether its from w/d or anxiety, THERE IS a light at the end of the tunnel. It just may not feel like it right now.

S/x: no appetite, trembling all day and night, anxiety, fear, mind chatter, choppy sleep and or insomnia. All at once. Sounds pretty miserable doesn't it? Lol. The strange thing is that I was doing so much better the past few weeks. I was making comedy YouTube videos again and enjoying life it seemed. Can it come in waves like this?? I figured remeron w/d was more linear vs non linear like benzo w/d.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ja...]

• [Co...]

• [ja...]

• [no...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi  All,

I'm new to this thread. I'm at, what I hope, is the end of my klonopin taper. I hope to be off in the next few weeks if I tolerate the cut I'm currently on. I've been taking 2mg of Remeron to help with sleep. I'd like to get off of the remeron but wondering if I should wait until I'm off the klonopin and a ways out from it. What do you find to be the best? Thanks for your ideas?

Peace2

Its all up to you Peace2. Most people wait a little bit to taper their AD. I've been benzo free for 2+ years except I feel guilty BC I used xanax a couple of times last month and 1 time this month. Not counting that against me tho.

Peace2 I defenitely would wait.. U need to heal from benzo taper 1st... I'd wait 4-6 months so u can sleep. If u jump to soon u may get insomnia!!

Congrats though and keep us informed!

I feel amazing, I realized why I didn't do as well last night. I a being treated for tmj and the muscle relaxe they gave me and the anti-inflammatory caused me side effects, like water retention, hard to sleep, hyped up, ext.

I didn't take either last night and today I feel great! I slept good, etc.

Is this a good sign At 2-3 days off? Did any of u feel great off it for the 1st few days?

Hugs and thanks!

Hey Coral Ashley- i don't really have many problems with sleep at all other then i find i wake up feeling like crap and anxious and a bit depressed and out of it but i do also take about 300mgs of magnesium before bed.

Contr: it sounds like we are having very simmilar type thoughts. do you find your obsessive thoughts bring on strange emotions as well almost like the thought of loving my dog and fearing i don't but this thought makes me feel depressed. it is like it is an irrational thought but the emotion that comes with it is also off.

i could even think of something normal like x-mas and normally feel happy but in wd the thought of x-mas comes with a depressing reaction. it is as if the brain is misfiring and throwing out an odd emotional reaction to a normal thought.

has anyone experienced tyhis?

I am feeling a bit better today and it is a full two days since my last dose.

Does anyone find they feel a bit spaced out though and a bit disconnected or fuzzy headed with the withdrawal. it's like i can't quite focus well or think as clearly (ie:brain fog) and i am finding my memory is a bit off and slow today. I also feel a bit hyper or wired and unfocused like i have had too many cups of coffee and need to go for a run to expel some energy. 

Anyone experience brain fog and memory probs or the hyper wired feeling while getting off this?

Stay strong guys. for me going back on is not an option as it makes me really out of it and depressed. we will egt through and be much better off for it.

Yes Ruby we will get through this together.

I feel I can focus which is quite nice when while on it it sometimes was difficult! I do have some good energy b/c while on it it took some energy away from me.

Hopefully u and I will have an easier jump off then most!

I took it for 1 year and 5 months, and going back on it is also not an option for me!

Do u work full-time? Do u have little children?

Benzo friends, since I'm doing so great do u think that's a good sign?

How did u feel Angel 2-3 days off it when u tried to stop before?

hi Coralashley, yes i do work full time but some days from home which is helpful. i don't have little kids yet but do have a bunch of pets.

I am also feeling less out of it and fuzzy and confused then i was while on the rameron but there are still some residual effects there that i am experiencing. side effects i guess since it has only been a few days off but the half life of this crap is like 40 hours for a single dose.  or it could be withdrawal also. i can't really tell but it is bearable and i am actually working from hoe all day today so i am still functional.

i am also a slow detoxer so it takes me longer to get it out so i still experience side effects and withdrawal at teh same time, ugg.

Even though i am feeling a bit less sedated iu am also feeling kind of hyper as if my body is springing back too far to compensate for the lack of drug, readjusting the neurotransmitters a bit too much. basically i just feel like i cant relax or focus as if my body is anxious and it is a bit too much energy.

how is your day going?

I really hope thisis the worst it gets for both of us.

I just keep reminding myself that i was feeling great before ever starting the rameron again and it all went down hill once on and then subsequently withdrawing.

hey ashley i just noticed from your sig that we jumped off the exact same day and on roughly the same dose. i was on 3.1 mgs. so we can keep comparing notes

Hiyas

Ruby:  the irrational thoughts, fuzzy head, depersonalisation, depression , anxiety etc are normal plus some! I also had: nausea, abdominal pains, headache, body and hands shaking and trembling, agitation, fatigue, panicy, high adrenaline/cortisol in mornings, bad memory, diaorreah, sweating,  lack of concentration, brain shivers, pins and needles, tearful, emotional, lack of appetite, chest pain (thought I was having a heart attack!),feeling extremely crappy ( long lasting symptom). Most have disappeared. The most debilitating feeling of crappiness lasted ages and I still get some brain shivers and tingling but they are not debilitating. I am not sleeping brilliantly but it's improving.

Not all these symptoms happened at the same time  - there was a different surprise every day! I kept a log so I can see what I have been through.

They never stopped me getting on with my life though - I made sure they didn't as hard as it has been sometimes. There were times I didn't think I wouldn't get through the day but I am glad I persevered and didn't take a Rem though I was tempted.

We all have different body chemistry and reaction so please don't use my experience as a bench mark for yours in terms of suffering and duration.  It may never happen and may pass quickly for you. Just don't be alarmed if they do happen. The withdrawals will end at some point.

CA: am glad you are feeling good. I don't know if it is a sign or not. I don't think I felt good in the beginning but not too bad. Around day 8 I started feeling not so good - I think it is around the time the Rem leaves your system.

I suggest you just take each day as it comes and not look ahead. The w/ds will not last as long as benzo w/ds and you may find them milder.

Keep posting everyone and good luck!

Angel 😍

I'm feeling great! I was told the elimination of remeron is 5-6 days..l I have a fast metabolism so I'll have it out of mine sooner than later.

I have had an appetite too which is nice and I haven't had the stomach problems I once had when I jumped off while I was still on the benzo..

My last dose of remeron was 3mg on Thursday night...

I also take bioidentical progesterone, which could be helping me too.. Plus I just went through the Wilsons temperature syndrome protocol and finished my 1st cycle today... My temp is 98.6 right now and I know that is contributing to me feeling so good!

I think this is a good sign for things to come for us b/c we r doing pretty well.. Ive been on this thread since its conception and I know some people have had a much harder time!

I work full-time in sales, so I'm not at home... I'm in people's faces all day :-( but I've been doing this forever over a decade and I went through benzo withdrawals during this time, which r way worse than this will ever be! So I can do this too and I'm sooooo excited to be off these types of pharmaceuticals!

The only other pharmaceutical I'm on is linzess and that's for chronic constipation which will work it's way out as remeron has helped caused me constipation, weight gain, water retention, etc. I've spent so much money, time and energy, literally trying to keep my weight in check and trying all kinds of diets to stop my weight gain. This has caused me to also have to spend more money on bigger clothing, food, books, doctors, and other stuff. And worrying about can I eat this or is this going to make me gain weight... Ugg

Praise the Lord for His grace and giving me my measure of faith to believe that I can do this!

Hugs and well get thought this! Keep me posted as we move forward and I will too!

Are u in the states?

Hi  All,

I'm new to this thread. I'm at, what I hope, is the end of my klonopin taper. I hope to be off in the next few weeks if I tolerate the cut I'm currently on. I've been taking 2mg of Remeron to help with sleep. I'd like to get off of the remeron but wondering if I should wait until I'm off the klonopin and a ways out from it. What do you find to be the best? Thanks for your ideas?

Peace2

If you still need it to sleep then stay on it for awhile. If you can sleep without it then drop it. At 2mg you shouldn't worry much about duration of usage.

Happy for you sweet Coralashley 👍 Hope it continues but it's looking good for you.

I am probably a worst case scenario and perhaps in the minority bad w/d wise.  Most seem to have an easier ride.

Anyway good luck! 

Angel xx

Hey Ashley it sounds like you are doing quite well. i am glad to hear it and hoe it continues.

And Angel thanks for describing all your symptoms it sounds like the ones you have are almost identical to my symptoms. the only thing that i have and you may have not is that i am also expereincing some body pain, like arthritis and some muscle weaknes and minor dizziness/woozieness.

Did you have any of these sx?

even though i have all the sx you described they are not severe and managable and i am just trying to ignore them. this is also helping with the anxiety.

I am also doing ozone treatments on top of teh magnesium and this is helping to calm my nervous system and heal my brain.

Thanks for sharing Angel it gives me more faith that this is all just wd and makes me feel more confidant in just staying the course and staying off this crap.

And ashley keep me posted too on how you are doing and we will keep going and staying off this crap together.

You are welcome Ruby.  They look awful written down don't they but you can get through them with the right attitude and remembering they are only temporary.

No I didn't have the irrational thoughts or dizziness/wooziness but I know they can happen.  I got all kinds of body aches but didn't pay attention.

Good luck! You're doing brilliantly!

Angel

Hey angel sorry to ask but I am confused. Did you say that you didn't have irrational thought?

I am just wondering because you mentioned that you had irrational thought before as well as dp etc?

Did you have the irrational OCD type thoughts and the dp etc?

Sorry to ask you.

Hi no I didn't have them. Sorry I wasn't clear. They will pass though honestly. Xx

I had DP bad and everything else I mentioned less a few more probably. Palpitations were a problem too. Beta blockers helped

Don't anticipate anything tho'

Ugg you just mentioned you had dp bad. I don't have huge amounts I of that now but have in the past and hate it. Sorry you had to deal with that.

I have the physical crap and mostly the irrational fears.

Do you guys think this is normal for wd to have the strange irrational thoughts and fears?

Did you find the wd was mentally tough angel?

And how did the dp feel to you?

Well I never wanted to elaborate on here too much but in all honesty the w/d from Rem has been utter hell for ME.  But this is how it was for me!!  I kept off the boards when I was going through the worst.  But I don't want to scare you. I am much much better now and living a normal life.

I had DP like I felt detached from real life like I was watching a movie.

Please don't read too much into these w/ds.  Not sure how helpful it is to do that especially if you are having obsessive thoughts.  This is YOUR journey.  If you stick with it you will be fine.

Hugs

Angel

Hey guys just checking in. I'm 37 days remeron free. 26 days free if you count 5 days of reinstating which did nothing. I was only on 7.5 and 3.75mg for 2.5/3 months. I'm battling sleeping issues, constant mind chatter, lack of appetite, and anxiety. A few days ago I was trembling in fear all day and night. Its hard to tell the difference between anxiety or w/d. It doesn't help that I'm obsessing about it and thinking about it all the time. At this point do you think its no longer the w/d and just anxiety returning? I'm seeing a psychologist tomorrow. He does not prescribe meds. And he's also a Christian counselor. If it is anxiety. Can it be controlled w/out meds do you think? I hear CBT is more beneficial vs pills. Thanks! :) Tonight I'm doing much better. Also I know benzo w/d is non linear. Is Remeron w/d non linear too? Thanks! :)

AD recovery is non-linear like benzos. You will have moments/days of feeling better then worse - windows and waves until the window never closes

Hey angel thatnks for being so honest about the withdrawal. i am sure it was a horrible experience and i am glad you are making it through.

Its day 4 with no rem and i am definately feeling it today.

I have been through this many times before and am familiar with these horrible sx. i have also suffered many symptoms like this from the lyme. all part of life's journey i guess.

When i got really sick with the lyme 3 years ago  doctors kept putting me on med after med causing me to go through wds over and over. how sad. they never once checked to see if i had any underlying issues.

Finally i found out about the lyme when at 30 i was so sick that i couldn't even remember my own name, recognize my own house or husband, understand words etc.

Of course even after the diagnosis doctors still kept putting me on meds when in fact i just needed to treat the lyme.

So i am very familier with these dam meds and withdrawal and at this point i just try to ride it through and not get too scared about the sx. i know they will pass.

Sometimes the anxiety though from the wd does get the better of me and it helps to know that others went through/ are going through a similar expereince from wd and made it out the other end.

To me knowledge and others experiences and knowing this is normal for wd is comforting.

But i am not going back on no matter how bad the wds get.

Having had these sx on and off for three years has at least taught me that they come with wd but they also do go.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

And coralashley and cnotr how are you feeling today?

Hi baby, today is a little rougher. But I'm working and I'm holding everything together. I had better days but I've had a worse as well. Hopefully the worst part will happen if at all during the weekend I hope you're hanging in there!

How's your sleep going? I woke up at two something and couldn't go back to sleep I just lay there but I felt very calm while doing that.