The Xanax Club, Let Us Know How You Are Feeling Today

[...]

Enzo,

So sorry to hear about your ongoing dizziness.  I wish I had some answers.  However, back when I would get the anxiety/panic attacks - especially during interdose issues and tolerance, dizziness was a huge problem.  I remember being in a mall trying to shop and the whole place would spin non-stop! It seems that the more movement of my eyes, which was unavoidable in a store with people moving all around me, coupled with having to look in the distance as well as the items close to me, exacerbated the dizziness!  This happened while driving in the car focusing on the road ahead and changing my focus to the radio or phone instruments on the dash as well.  Everytime I looked away from one to the other my head would spin!!!  My therapist at the time told me to focus on one article of clothing on a rack at the mall and stay there (essentially staring at it) until it passed.  It often worked - although I felt like a jackass standing there staring at a random shirt for 5 mintutes or longer. 

Granted, this may not work for you since staring at one thing all day is virtually impossible and your dizziness seems to be chronic at this point, but if nothing else, please know that it's a HUGE symptom of Xanax withdrawal. 

Nevertheless, so sorry that you're dealing with it!  Praying it gets better soon! 

Fondly,

Lori

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [to...]

• [Di...]

• [...]

• [se...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Lori:  Sometimes a good cry is the best medicine.  You are strong and you will get through this.  Life isn't always fair but with God all things are possible.  I certainly do believe when one door closes, another door opens.  Hang in there.  You got this! 

Julia:  I am down to 4.75 and I am feeling so much better.  Thank you so much for thinking of me!  I went to a blue grass festival this evening and really enjoyed myself.  I have been working out at the gym and trying to ride the Xanax roller coaster with a smile on my face.  I plan on tapering down another .25 mg next week.  Some of the side effects are interesting but I am getting through them.  I hope you have had a better week yourself :)

Enzo,

So sorry to hear about your ongoing dizziness.  I wish I had some answers.  However, back when I would get the anxiety/panic attacks - especially during interdose issues and tolerance, dizziness was a huge problem.  I remember being in a mall trying to shop and the whole place would spin non-stop! It seems that the more movement of my eyes, which was unavoidable in a store with people moving all around me, coupled with having to look in the distance as well as the items close to me, exacerbated the dizziness!  This happened while driving in the car focusing on the road ahead and changing my focus to the radio or phone instruments on the dash as well.  Everytime I looked away from one to the other my head would spin!!!  My therapist at the time told me to focus on one article of clothing on a rack at the mall and stay there (essentially staring at it) until it passed.  It often worked - although I felt like a jackass standing there staring at a random shirt for 5 mintutes or longer. 

Granted, this may not work for you since staring at one thing all day is virtually impossible and your dizziness seems to be chronic at this point, but if nothing else, please know that it's a HUGE symptom of Xanax withdrawal. 

Nevertheless, so sorry that you're dealing with it!  Praying it gets better soon! 

Fondly,

Lori

That’s exactly how it happens! If I don’t go out or move my eyes or my head I almost don’t have any dizziness at this point! Can you tell me how long did it take for you to get rid of it? It got better at some point during the taper but since I jumped it’s back being very bad , sometimes I get worried because I don’t read many people reporting that

Enzo,

Unfortuately there's no way of knowing.  I'm sorry... I know that doesn't help.  We all want to know when these horrible symptoms will finally be behind us. 

For me, those dizziness episodes were one of my first clues many years ago (pre taper) that something was terribly wrong while taking my full dose of Xanax. It's what caused me to start researching Xanax as I had been on it for 13+ years at that point. The horrible dizzy spells were happening several times per week at @ the 5th hour (back then I wasn't as dilligent at taking my doses on a strict schedule and could often go 5-6 hours between doses).  Sometimes it happened almost everyday depending on my dosing or stress level at work, home, etc.  Honestly, it was the pervasive symptom that had me questioning if Xanax had become a problem.  And we all know how that ended.  However, I endured CT scans of my head, neurologist visits, eye exams, blood work, etc. because I was convinced that it was something very serious and much to my relief, I was perfectly fine.  Of course, back then, I had no idea that tapering Xanax would be an even bigger problem!  It also continues throughout my taper.  Now it's a few times per month and situational (a reduction, intense stress, no sleep, sometimes while driving, etc.).

Although I don't have any answers on the timeline of when it will let up, I can tell you that from my personal experience, it's all taper and withdrawal related.  Just give it time.  Like all the other symptoms, this one will eventually get better and better until it's gone.  Patience isn't my strongest virtue... so I get the frustration.

Fondly,

Lori

Lori:  Sometimes a good cry is the best medicine.  You are strong and you will get through this.  Life isn't always fair but with God all things are possible.  I certainly do believe when one door closes, another door opens.  Hang in there.  You got this! 

I am down to 4.75 and I am feeling so much better.  Thank you so much for thinking of me!  I went to a blue grass festival this evening and really enjoyed myself.  I have been working out at the gym and trying to ride the Xanax roller coaster with a smile on my face.  I plan on tapering down another .25 mg next week.  Some of the side effects are interesting but I am getting through them.  I hope you have had a better week yourself :)

Thank you!  I'm hanging in there... one day at a time.  :thumbsup:

So glad to hear that you went out to the festival.  That sounds like such a nice night... And I'm so happy for you that you're able to keep up your activity level and social life because it's so important.  You're doing all the right things!  You got this too!!

Hi all,

New to BB and to this support group.  Thank you to Libertas for suggesting I post here.  I have been tapering off Xanax since April and his been..... unbelievable.  Hard/difficult can't begin to describe my days.  I am now close to the end of my taper and wanted advice and a reality check.

1) I am currently on 0.055mg / day split into 5 doses a day (~0.011 mg / dose) every 3.75 hrs.  I was previously taking 7 doses a day, then 6, then 5 all while tapering 10% every 10-14 days.  Each time I reduced it was a a new level of hell.  I don't know if I should reduce to 4 doses a day and then jump or stick it out with 5.  Would it make a difference how many times a day I take the Xanax before I jump.

2) Now that I am low on my taper, my symptoms have gone into a new realm.  Especially the fatigue and feeling just sick all day.  I wake up tired no matter if I sleep or not.  So weak I can't move my body.  I feel like I am sick.  It feels beyond benzo flu.  I feel like I am dying.  And the brain fog! The constant, never relenting dizziness!  The thoughts that don't stop, always dark, bad memories.  And he anger!  I get angry at everything and cannot let it go.

Anything would really help

Thanks to all of you! Hugs to everyone!

Hi EnzoIt,

How is it going for you?  I pray you are getting better!  I pray your recovery is an easy one!!

Hugs,

Julia

Hi Julia, fatigue and brain for are improving for sure, but I’m getting a little scared about my dizziness, everytime I get too much visual stimulation I start to get dizzy, I even tried to do some face gaze exercises and I had to quit right basically right away because I felt too dizzy, I never had a problem before quitting Xanax, I just hope it didn’t make a permanent damage because I don’t read too many people reporting dizziness induced by the movement of the eyes.. how are you?

Hi EnzoIt,

So sorry you are dealing with the dizziness issue.  A year ago I did an accidental double cut and that is when the dizziness and off balance and blurred vision started for me.  It was quite intense and needless to say, scary.  It was really bad for a couple months straight!  I think the double cut was way too much for my brain to handle.  I did it by accident and when I figured out what I did, I should have gone back to the correct cut dose but it had already been a week and I did not want to do that.  So I kept going and that was a mistake.  Until the last few weeks of getting my doses equal and not making big cuts (nothing over 4%) a week, It has gotten so much better.  Having dealt with it for almost a year straight was hard.  Fortunately it has gotten better.  I still have it but it is random when it hits.  So please know it will get better for you as you heal. 

I find that when I have the blurred vision which usually comes with a headache too, if I lay down and close my eyes for a little while, it helps.

Take care and know you are healing !  One day this will all be gone!

Hugs,

Julia

Julia:  I am down to 4.75 and I am feeling so much better.  Thank you so much for thinking of me!  I went to a blue grass festival this evening and really enjoyed myself.  I have been working out at the gym and trying to ride the Xanax roller coaster with a smile on my face.  I plan on tapering down another .25 mg next week.  Some of the side effects are interesting but I am getting through them.  I hope you have had a better week yourself :)

Hi Torris,

You are doing so well and I am glad you are able to get out and do things to keep you busy and distracted.  That helps a lot during tapering.  Building skills to help you get through this is great!  I agree that some of the side effects are interesting and I have to say - I wish there were fewer of them but then that would just be too easy!!  lol  Take care and good luck on your next cut!! 

I am hanging in there.  Still dealing with the stomach and have found that I can not eat any spicy food at this point.  I had that issue when I was on the cold turkey and for the first few months of my taper and then it went away.  Now it is back and it is a pain but I will get through it.  Things come and go and some things stay longer than others but they all go away eventually.  At least so far for me!

Take care!

Julia  :smitten:

Hi all,

New to BB and to this support group.  Thank you to Libertas for suggesting I post here.  I have been tapering off Xanax since April and his been..... unbelievable.  Hard/difficult can't begin to describe my days.  I am now close to the end of my taper and wanted advice and a reality check.

1) I am currently on 0.055mg / day split into 5 doses a day (~0.011 mg / dose) every 3.75 hrs.  I was previously taking 7 doses a day, then 6, then 5 all while tapering 10% every 10-14 days.  Each time I reduced it was a a new level of hell.  I don't know if I should reduce to 4 doses a day and then jump or stick it out with 5.  Would it make a difference how many times a day I take the Xanax before I jump.

2) Now that I am low on my taper, my symptoms have gone into a new realm.  Especially the fatigue and feeling just sick all day.  I wake up tired no matter if I sleep or not.  So weak I can't move my body.  I feel like I am sick.  It feels beyond benzo flu.  I feel like I am dying.  And the brain fog! The constant, never relenting dizziness!  The thoughts that don't stop, always dark, bad memories.  And he anger!  I get angry at everything and cannot let it go.

Welcome to this thread!  You do not say what dose you were on when you started your taper but it sounds like you have been tapering way too fast.  If you are having a lot of symptoms and you feel sick and like you are dying, my suggestion would be to stay at the dose you are at and try to get stable before you finish your taper.  If you do not get stable, when you jump off the xanax, things could be really bad for you!  I am not trying to scare you but I want you to know tapering too fast is not good for your CNS and brain.  It is recommended that you cut 5% - 10% every 10-14 days but that is just a guideline.  We have to listen to our bodies and when we are having intense symptoms and not doing well, we have to hold until we are better and then resume the taper. 

Once you get stable and continue to taper, it may be helpful to taper down to 4 or even 3 doses a day before you jump but I am afraid you may need to stay on your current dose for a while. 

I am hoping others will respond to your post as well so you can get more suggestions and help here.

Please know you are not alone and that we are here to support you! 

Julia

I just looked at some of your post and it seems that when you started your taper in April, you had cut your dose in half in one shot and that probably put you into severe withdrawal from the start.  Not being stable from the start, can make it even harder as you taper down.  I hope you will be able to get stable so you can continue and finish your taper. 

Hi all,

Welcome to this thread!  You do not say what dose you were on when you started your taper but it sounds like you have been tapering way too fast.  If you are having a lot of symptoms and you feel sick and like you are dying, my suggestion would be to stay at the dose you are at and try to get stable before you finish your taper.  If you do not get stable, when you jump off the xanax, things could be really bad for you!  I am not trying to scare you but I want you to know tapering too fast is not good for your CNS and brain.  It is recommended that you cut 5% - 10% every 10-14 days but that is just a guideline.  We have to listen to our bodies and when we are having intense symptoms and not doing well, we have to hold until we are better and then resume the taper. 

Once you get stable and continue to taper, it may be helpful to taper down to 4 or even 3 doses a day before you jump but I am afraid you may need to stay on your current dose for a while. 

I am hoping others will respond to your post as well so you can get more suggestions and help here.

Please know you are not alone and that we are here to support you! 

Julia

I just looked at some of your post and it seems that when you started your taper in April, you had cut your dose in half in one shot and that probably put you into severe withdrawal from the start.  Not being stable from the start, can make it even harder as you taper down.  I hope you will be able to get stable so you can continue and finish your taper.

Thank you.  Yes, I started in April. I had a bad reaction to trying CBD spray.  Led to over sedation  which was terrible. Called doctor's, poison control, pharmacy just to figure out what was going on.  (Avoided Hospital due to High Covid in area).  CBD and Xanax use the same enzymes in the liver so they are competing and not being digested properly.  Took about a week to get through.  Ended up having to really reduce the xanax to get through the over sedation. 

Originally at 0.875 mg. 1st cut was to 0.4375mg.  I took 7 doses a day to help (doctor's recommendation).  Stayed there for about 6 weeks until I got to a decent place and then started a more normal taper.    Towards the end I have been acceleration the taper (cut every 9 days, and started to cut more than 10%).  There is something coming up in December and I cannot be on Xanax.  I'm kind of stuck on this path.

:-[ :-[

Enzo,

Unfortuately there's no way of knowing.  I'm sorry... I know that doesn't help.  We all want to know when these horrible symptoms will finally be behind us. 

For me, those dizziness episodes were one of my first clues many years ago (pre taper) that something was terribly wrong while taking my full dose of Xanax. It's what caused me to start researching Xanax as I had been on it for 13+ years at that point. The horrible dizzy spells were happening several times per week at @ the 5th hour (back then I wasn't as dilligent at taking my doses on a strict schedule and could often go 5-6 hours between doses).  Sometimes it happened almost everyday depending on my dosing or stress level at work, home, etc.  Honestly, it was the pervasive symptom that had me questioning if Xanax had become a problem.  And we all know how that ended.  However, I endured CT scans of my head, neurologist visits, eye exams, blood work, etc. because I was convinced that it was something very serious and much to my relief, I was perfectly fine.  Of course, back then, I had no idea that tapering Xanax would be an even bigger problem!  It also continues throughout my taper.  Now it's a few times per month and situational (a reduction, intense stress, no sleep, sometimes while driving, etc.).

Although I don't have any answers on the timeline of when it will let up, I can tell you that from my personal experience, it's all taper and withdrawal related.  Just give it time.  Like all the other symptoms, this one will eventually get better and better until it's gone.  Patience isn't my strongest virtue... so I get the frustration.

Fondly,

Lori

Thanks Lori, I just saw you aren’t living a nice moment either.. I’m very sorry, it’s such a long and difficult journey isn’t it? Patience isn’t my strongest virtue either, but this thing is teaching me a lot of things.. I send you an hug hoping Better days will come sooner than later

Julia thanks for your answer! One good thing is my general dizziness is getting better, now it’s triggered mostly from too much visual stimulation and line when I move my eyes and ahead, it’s very annoying because it prevents me also to take a walk.. let’s hope it will pass soon. How are you?

Thanks Lori, I just saw you aren’t living a nice moment either.. I’m very sorry, it’s such a long and difficult journey isn’t it? Patience isn’t my strongest virtue either, but this thing is teaching me a lot of things.. I send you an hug hoping Better days will come sooner than later

Thanks, Enzoit! 

I honestly don't think I'll ever be able to wrap my head around why and how symptoms just sneak back up with a vengence!  It's mind boggling at times.  I'm hanging in there and planning to hold at this dose until things settle down. But once again I'm plagued with disappointment because like everyone else, I just want to be OFF of these things.  I'm exhausted!

Hope you're going better today!

To everyone,  Happy Halloween!

Lori

Julia thanks for your answer! One good thing is my general dizziness is getting better, now it’s triggered mostly from too much visual stimulation and line when I move my eyes and ahead, it’s very annoying because it prevents me also to take a walk.. let’s hope it will pass soon. How are you?

So glad your general dizziness is better!  I definitely hope the other dizziness issues  will pass soon for you!!!

I am doing ok!  Just the normal symptoms I have had for a while!!  Some are better and some are the same!!

Take care of yourself!

Hugs!!

Hi everyone

Posted on here recently but thought I’d drop in. It’ll be two months soon but I take one day at a time. I’m in Florida helping out in laws. Yes, you heard it! They’re 90 & 86 and functional but needed a bit of help as one had a medical procedure done so I’m planning caretaker. Don’t mind helping but you can cut the tension with a knife as they like to yell at each other. Eat, shit and sleep is their M.O. I laugh at it and try and keep my humor about this and life. Face it, life as we know it has changed and generally we’re screwed up.

My symptoms are what they are…. feeling like I’m floating at times, ringing in my ears like I have a Church bell over my head and dizziness like I’m riding a roller coaster after eating a Big Mac. I pretend that I’m at an amusement park and shrug it off. It sucks but what are my choices.

I am happy at the progress I have made and if this is the way I’m going to feel for the rest of my life then so be it. I’m happy to be off of benzos.

Life has improved. I’m no longer in a cloud. I can follow conversations and challenge people  who dump on me. I’m more alert. Best of all I enjoy my family more and more especially my grandchildren.

Life is good!!!

Peace

Hey old sal,

I'm glad things are better being off benzos has to be wonderful!  Wow 90 and 86 bet they are keeping you busy.

Yes enjoy your family...grandkids are the best.

😊

Old Sal,

You've come such a long way and I'm certain it will only get better from here!  I absolutely adore your sense of humor! I was cracking up laughing while reading your post!  By all accounts, if you're feeling this well at only 2 months off, you're doing fabulous!  I would tend to think that those remaining symptoms will dissapate over time.

So happy for you that benzo's are behind you!  Enjoy those grandkids of yours!    And... maybe get a whistle to referee those grandparent fights!  LOL!

Fondly,

Lori

Guys do you have tremors in your fingers? Mine are bad especially in my left hand, I started to have this since the beginning of my taper and it never left.. I also have it in my eyelids, how long did it take for you to get rid of those?

I feeling confused whether or not I'm in a bad wave or I have cut too much from my dose?  Does feeling stable mean you feel good? or can you feel like hell and be adjusting to getting to stable? Is stable feeling like crapola but you're possibly able to do some daily tasks? I read on here that people are super debilitated sometimes, but do not updose, is that considered being on the road to get to stable even though you're bedridden? Ugh!

Plus, yet again I'm going nuts with these tapering issues: what is the mathematical formula of how many milligrams of medicine are in the weight of a cut?  I feel like I forgot how to figure this out, I'm having serious memory problems and dealing with confusion. I feel like I'm going crazy! I feel so dumb that I have to ask this question again and again. If I put a .25mg pill on the scale and hypothetically it weighs 130mg and for example I shave off .005g, how much medicine is in that .005? That is just a random example.  Is there a mathematical formula that I can use to figure this out when I'm weighing/measuring medicine doses? How do I factor in for the amount of filler? I'm using Sandoz brand.  The pills weigh anywhere from .126g-.131g. I dose 4x/day with four .25mg tabs. Dear God!!!

Hi all my fellow buddies and any new ones too!!

I just thought I’d post a update on how I’ve been doing.it’s the start of my 13th week off Xanax today. So I’ve been free for 3 months now. I’m enjoying being benzo feee. I don’t get on here as much because I seem to do better not being on the site. I just don’t like to think back of the consuming taper days. I like the moving forward and looking out the windshield vs the rear window. I like moving forward without the benzo! It has not been without trying times, weeks, and days after I jumped. It seemed as if I’d have a bad week then a good week. Now I just have a wave every now and again. It is nothing compared to how I felt during the taper and I have healed in so many ways. I have hardly any of the symptoms I had when tapering and the ones I get don’t always stay and aren’t as bad as when I was into the taper. I am active, happy, out and about, and I sleep good and hard and have fabulous and sometimes funny dreams. I drive, travel, exercise, laugh, and my husband says it’s like night and day. I have lately been dealing with vertigo but my son and brother in law are chiropractors and worked on me many days and it’s gone now.

It’s a road I don’t wish on my worst enemy. It was hell on earth doing it and getting off. Easily the hardest thing I’ve done. Or it easily is close to the top of that list. I just want to give you all hope. Hope that brighter and better days are coming. It’s not always going to be easy after the jump and you will feel symptoms, but you also will be able to manage them easier and you will feel the healing that’s going on! You will be able to tell you are healing. Be kind to yourselves, you’ve been through a lot and give yourself sympathy and be proud of what you’ve accomplished. Please when the waves come just know they will pass and on the beautiful window days you won’t think of them and you will relish in your beautiful day you’re having. Give yourself grace on the bad days. You deserve it.

I’m hoping I’m offering some hope and positivity to any of you that better days are coming and you can and will heal. That better days are ahead. You are all warriors and amazingly strong. I’m praying everyday for you all and sending as always my positive vibes! Thinking of you all and sending hugs! 

Mary it’s so nice to hear from you and I’m so happy to hear you’re feeling well! You’re such a kind and amazing person, I’m so very happy for you and thank you to come back and give us some hope! Can I ask you which symptoms do you currently have? After how long the dizziness went away? It’s my main symptom with vision problems and tremors

Hi all,

I'm glad to hear you talk about those terrible angry thoughts.  I'm not glad you are experiencing them, I know it is sheer hell.  I currently have them, too..especially when it's getting close to my dosing time, but sometimes I have them all day, and everything irritates me and my minds plays devilish tricks on me blaming others for my pain, hating everything about the xanax taper, jealous of people who are further along..and I'm not that kind of person! This w/d makes us think we are evil when those thoughts come..we are not, it's just another benzo lie.  I hear you on the dosing questions, but unfortunately I'm still only a few months in to this and still looking for answers myself.  I'm glad you're here and please keep on posting..you can vent here 27/7 to get through this dark hell that only your fellow benzo buddies can understand.  I'll keep you in my prayers. Sending you peace and healing thoughts.