The Xanax Club, Let Us Know How You Are Feeling Today

[...]

Widesky,

Glad to see you have a sense of humor!  For the record, you already are a rock star simply for taking this on!  This taper is not for the faint of heart.  And to do it in a slow, methodical way takes more strengh than many have.  You're doing fantastic!  Please keep it slow and steady and you'll get there. 

If I can get this low in dose coming from 6 milligrams, you can definitly do this coming from 2.  I'm in no way trying to discount your individual circumstance as 2 milligrams is hefty enough but I have faith in you.

Keep plugging along... you got this my friend!    Hope you're having a wonderful evening!

Fondly,

Lori

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [to...]

• [Di...]

• [...]

• [se...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Just popping in to say that low and behold I had a very good two days at .17!  I even managed to exercise which I haven't done much of in 4 years!  Had such a productive day both yesterday and today and it felt so nice to feel quasi-normal for a bit! 

My dear friend who relocated to St. Pete, FL is starting a business and I'm advising on the business plan which has been nice.  Hoping to make the trip down to FL to meet with her for a week or so sometime in April or May before the business launch in June.  Fingers crossed.

Making the next cut on Saturday and praying it goes okay. 

All-in-all, just plain happy to have had a good two days!  You know... just in time to give my CNS another jolt!  ::)

Only a few more cuts to go! 

Hope all are well!

L

lori,

I am so glad you figured that out!  wow! 

I hope you start to feel better soon! 

I am still holding my Xanax at 1mg but honestly I still don't feel well after five months -- not sure if it isn't time to just go on ahead and start my dlmt taper again. 

I had a 13 hour window on thanksgiving and last Wednesday I was able to drive to see family an hour away and spend two nights and did well -- now I feel worse than I did than when I went into acute last spring.  but I also just started my period, that never helps but it was never this bad. 

any thoughts or suggestions?  also best of luck now getting stabilized and I am SO glad you figured out the issue -- 30% reduction will do it!

300, I'm so sorry!  I don't know how I missed this! 

As far as long holds... I did if for over a year on at 1 milligram.  To be honest, I never really got "stable" but I did get "better" during the hold.  However, I held way too long.... over a year.  If I could do it all over again, I would have continued the taper after 6 months because any improvements I saw at that point were as good as they got.  Again, that was just me.  And yes, getting my period would ALWAYS exacerbate symptoms.  Ugh.  I feel your pain!

I recall Ashton saying that prolonged "long holds" aren't always helpful.  And I tend to agree with this based on my own experience.  If things are tolerable, my recommendation would be to start tapering again.  For me, I started to feel that after a certain period of time, I was probably becoming far to tolerant to the 1 milligrams and holding there wasn't doing me any favors. 

Keep us posted on what you decide!  Think of you! 

Fondly,

Lori

Feeling a bit emotional today... cut to .125 and hopeful!  I spent some time looking at my old posts this morning and Wow! ...  I can't believe that the end of this taper is actually in sight.  So long.. so much lost, so many tears, so many symptoms, so much time that I'll never get back, but praying there's so much health and happy times ahead!

Right now I'm simply praying that this last month or so won't be any worse than the last month of cuts.

Hang in there, everyone!  This can be done!

Fondly,

Lori

• 4 weeks later...
Lori, I am so thrilled that you are almost off your benzo!  I bet you feel great.  You have so much to be greatful for!  Sorry I haven't checked in for so long.  Just been busy living life and yes getting through my taper.  I am thrilled that I am now down to 3.5 mg of Xanax and I will just keep going down until I am also off this drug.  I have to say I am having more up days then bad days.  Still going to the gym and just returned home from a vacation in which I had a great time.  I feel so much more healthy these days and know I will feel even better in months to come.  Keeping busy at the gym, going on walks, getting closer to God, shopping, sewing and so looking forward to Spring to work in my garden.  I wish everyone wonderful blessed days and remember, we can all get through this.  Keep fighting the fight and remember life is wonderful and whenever we are knocked down, it just makes us stronger!  Everyone stay blessed!! :smitten:

Glad I was here to witness these last 8 months go your journey.  You are more than amazing!

May this last month be as easy as possible for you and may your post-recovery be light and easy.  My prayer and wish for you.

• 1 month later...

Lori, Congratulations on being on the home stretch! I’m just a smidge behind you. Please keep posting how you’re doing. :thumbsup:

Torris, good job! I’m glad you’re feeling so good!  :smitten:

Hi Everyone!

I'm sorry I havent posted.  I still have my index finger bandaged from the accident so typing is a huge challenge!  I really did a number on myu fingers!  unreal!  A full month of bandaged fingers has been frustrating.

I'm about to take the leap off of Xanax after four+ very long years of tapering! I'm scared, not well, and still symtomatic (but have been all along).  I'm convinced that doing a taper off of the shortest acting benzo, and starting the taper while already dealing with extreme ID/wd and tolerance did NOT make this any easier! 

I have to make this short because typing is still very diffuclt.  I do hope that everyone is doing okay.. I'm so sorry tghat I haven't responded to the PM/s and I will get to them after my darn fingers heal.  For reference, I've only typed a few sentences and it's taken a solid 10 minutes thus far... hence why I haven't even attempted it until now! 

My home goes on the market tomorrow and I'm a bit anxious about it... it's also taken a lot of my energy and time.

On that note, I'll save all other info an sentiments until the darn bandages come off!  Thinking of all and praying that you're doing well!  This is such a horrible road for so many and I truly feel your pain!

Sending love to all!

Fondly

Lori

Wishing you well, Lori. I am sure you are both pleased and scared to jump. Time will tell if it is the right moment in your taper to do so. I hope it goes well. Congratulations on a hard fought procedure to reclaim your health and your life. As you go through the next stage, remember what you learned tapering, and use it. Be patient with your CNS as it kicks into overdrive once you remove the poisonous medication that always hinders healing to some extent. Get the support you need.

Peace

Dove

• 2 weeks later...

After being on Xanax for 25 years, I decided since I’m now retired that I would get off of this med.  I met with my GP and he gave me a 7 week taper schedule.  I was relying on his experience which was a huge mistake.  I finally came across the Ashton Manual and BB and modified my taper schedule.

I have resigned myself to the fact that I have have failed at my 1st attempt of getting off of Xanax.  I am ok and have come to terms that I tapered too fast and the accumulation of the reductions caught up with me and were so overwhelming that I had no quality of life.   I discussed all of this with my GP and he is supportive of my second attempt which most likely will be 6 months from now and will be comprised of no reductions exceeding 5%.  If it takes me 1.5 to 2 years so be it.

I am currently taking 1.5mg only at night - just like I did prior to my failed 1st attempt.  I have done this for 11 nights now and my question to the forum is when should I expect to feel my “pre-weaning self” again where I am fine the next morning and throughout the day until it is time to take my nightly dose again?  I don’t consider upping my dose as reinstating since I never quit taking Xanax and only reduced it down to 1mg.  I would think that it will take some time but I should be able to get back to the pre-weaning outcome.  Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I took 2mg for about 4weeks but I’m not looking at updosing to that amount.  I’m hopeful that 1.5mg will be the most I need.

God bless!

I am experiencing inter dose WDs!  The following was my weaning schedule:

Xanax Weaning Schedule

1/10 thru 1/23-Take 1.5mg @ night (Done)  25% reduction from 2mg dose

1/24 thru 2/13-Take 1.25mg @ night (Done) 16.7% reduction from 1.5mg dose

2/14 thru 2/27-Take 1.13mg @ night (Done) 9.6% reduction from 1.25mg dose

2/28 thru 3/31-Take 1.0mg @ night 11.5% reduction from 1.13mg dose

4/1 thru Sept-Take 1.5mg @ night and reassess when to begin 2nd attempt.

****NOTE: 2mg dose was only for 3-4 weeks

I started experiencing the inter dose WDs when I was down to 1.25mg (anxiety, nervousness, nausea, depression, jumpiness, intrusive thoughts).  The WDs became more severe as I continued tapering - which in hindsight was too fast because of their accumulative effect.  It is because of this that I decided to updose to the 1.5mg dose and when ready will start my 2nd attempt at getting off of this evil med but with no reduction being greater than 5%.  I am hoping I can get back to the evening dose behaving as it did pre-tapering which logically seems feasible since I’ve never been entirely off of Xanax - I just decreased from 2mg to 1mg.  My body was still processing the Xanax but at a lower dose.  Do you see any reason why I won’t get back to the 1.5mg @ night being enough just like it was pre-taper?  Currently, the upset stomach in the morning is the worst of this.

I was prescribed Xanax for sleep 25 years ago because my mind would race at night. 

I’m new here as well. It looks like this thread is pretty quiet. I’m hoping it will pick up because I could use some advice and support as well. I’m in a very similar situation to you thevenin57 with the interdose withdrawals. I’m currently at 0.25 in the am. I halved my pm dose to 0.125 last week and have not been doing great. I’m wondering if I cut too much and need to go slower, but I don’t have many options. I’m using a pill cutter to split my 0.5mg tab into halves and quarters.  Are you cutting and weighing? I need a scale. Anyhow, welcome. Maybe you will have better luck posting in the main withdrawal thread?

Hello and Welcome!!

This thread is a bit quiet as some of us have completed our taper.  I know you both can do this!!  I was on .25 twice a day of Alprazolam.  I thought I could simply reduce by 1/4 of the dose, I was wrong!!!

I reduced 2.5 percent a week.  I held for a couple of months.  It took 16 months to taper at a tolerable pace.  I walked off gently.  I am still experiencing  some symptoms, but it has been manageable.  I am eighth months post taper and doing well.

Best of luck to you both!!

Thanks, Seasalt. That is great news that people have completed their tapers. Perhaps  I’ll go back and read old posts for guidance. Cheers.

Welcome! I too am one who was on alprazolam and have finished my taper. I am 9 months post taper. I also still have some minor symptoms and have waves now and again. Otherwise I have been very manageable and done quite well. I agree with Seasalt. You guys can do this!! Sow and steady and let your body be the guide. Listen to your body and when it has symptoms listen and hold your taper. Best of luck. We do come and check in so we’re around to provide support still and positive vibes!

Welcome! I too am one who was on alprazolam and have finished my taper. I am 9 months post taper. I also still have some minor symptoms and have waves now and again. Otherwise I have been very manageable and done quite well. I agree with Seasalt. You guys can do this!! Sow and steady and let your body be the guide. Listen to your body and when it has symptoms listen and hold your taper. Best of luck. We do come and check in so we’re around to provide support still and positive vibes!

For how long were you on the xanax?

Mary and Laurie I’m happy you’re doing well, I’m 6 months off and still very unwell.. the fatigue is unreal, if I try to push too much I get dizzy and nauseous.. I was hoping to be better at this point ☹️

Hi Everyone!

Sorry I haven't posted.  Honest to God one of my fingers is STILL healing.  What a nightmare that has been. The skin is so thin that it's really sensitive to touch anything at all.  I was finally able to go without a bandage this weekend. 

Enzo, I'm so sorry that you're not feeling significantly better by now.  After reading your post, it got me thinking of what I've observed over the years.

I honestly believe that any CT can do damage that takes time to recover from.  So many people that have come and gone from this site who were CT'd, as well as those who tapered way too fast at any point in the process, seem to take some additional time to recover after the completion of their taper.  It's as if once the CNS is shocked like that, it just wont bounce back until it's good and ready.  I guess that's why we constantly hear that the only true healer is time

I know for myself, that I went way too fast early on and kept going even when I was in bad shape. And quite frankly, it's been a really rough taper from the start.  I also think that tapering from the shortest acting benzo is far more challenging that others.  How could it not be since it's the reason that Ashton does a crossover to Valium.  She didn't have anyone in her clinic doing a direct taper and I totally understand why.  Don't get me wrong, we're all a testament to the fact that it can be done!  However, I believe that between going to fast, CT's and a plethora of other factors (Beginning a taper when already tolerant or experiencing interdose w/d), that directly tapering from Xanax has it's own very unique challenges that aren't as prevalent in longer acting benzos.

All that being said, my advice for the new people who have joined the thread.....

1)  Please, please, please, learn from our/my mistakes... "Listen to your body!".... if you hit a really rough patch, please slow down and hold if you must until things level out.  I wanted to be off this drug so badly that I rushed it far too often and honestly never recovered once I did this! 

2)  Avoid a cold turkey or abrupt cessation at all cost. 

3)  Don't focus on "when will I be done tapering." I did this too often.  The truth is that you'll be done when your body says it's time. Please don't get discouraged! 

I've made a lot of mistakes along the way and I hope you can learn from them.  Granted, I took a solid 4 years but I still could have done better at times. 

Hang in there, everyone!  If I can get this far down (jumping in a week or two), then anyone can!  23 years on this poison and here I am at .03.  Too many times over the years I never thought I'd get here.  I'm still sick. Still highly symptomatic but extremely hopeful!  A lot of the symptoms I had early on that were horrendous are long gone!  They've been replacled with new symptoms but I have to believe that with time, these will vanish as well. 

I'll try to get back on here more often now that my fingers work!  :)

Fondly,

Lori

PS:  Seasalt and WW, so happy to hear that you're both doing well!  Nice to see your names!   :smitten:

Lori, Congratulations on being on the home stretch! I’m just a smidge behind you. Please keep posting how you’re doing. :thumbsup:

Torris, good job! I’m glad you’re feeling so good!  :smitten:

You're doing fantastic!!!  Keep us posted!

Thanks for the great advice, Lori.

Please send me good vibes. I have an appt with my GP on Thursday. I’m going to see if she will prescribe me a lower dose of Xanax. I was originally prescribed x by my psychiatrist, who has since retired. My GP had mentioned in passing previously that she didn’t feel comfortable prescribing Xanax, but because I have been self tapering, I had enough left and wasn’t concerned. I’m really scared she won’t help me, but I’m trying not to stress over it. If she won’t, I’m going to have to do a very rapid taper.

For how long were you on the xanax?

I was on Xanax for 9 to 10 months.

Hi Everyone!

Sorry I haven't posted.  Honest to God one of my fingers is STILL healing.  What a nightmare that has been. The skin is so thin that it's really sensitive to touch anything at all.  I was finally able to go without a bandage this weekend. 

Enzo, I'm so sorry that you're not feeling significantly better by now.  After reading your post, it got me thinking of what I've observed over the years.

I honestly believe that any CT can do damage that takes time to recover from.  So many people that have come and gone from this site who were CT'd, as well as those who tapered way too fast at any point in the process, seem to take some additional time to recover after the completion of their taper.  It's as if once the CNS is shocked like that, it just wont bounce back until it's good and ready.  I guess that's why we constantly hear that the only true healer is time

I know for myself, that I went way too fast early on and kept going even when I was in bad shape. And quite frankly, it's been a really rough taper from the start.  I also think that tapering from the shortest acting benzo is far more challenging that others.  How could it not be since it's the reason that Ashton does a crossover to Valium.  She didn't have anyone in her clinic doing a direct taper and I totally understand why.  Don't get me wrong, we're all a testament to the fact that it can be done!  However, I believe that between going to fast, CT's and a plethora of other factors (Beginning a taper when already tolerant or experiencing interdose w/d), that directly tapering from Xanax has it's own very unique challenges that aren't as prevalent in longer acting benzos.

All that being said, my advice for the new people who have joined the thread.....

1)  Please, please, please, learn from our/my mistakes... "Listen to your body!".... if you hit a really rough patch, please slow down and hold if you must until things level out.  I wanted to be off this drug so badly that I rushed it far too often and honestly never recovered once I did this! 

2)  Avoid a cold turkey or abrupt cessation at all cost. 

3)  Don't focus on "when will I be done tapering." I did this too often.  The truth is that you'll be done when your body says it's time. Please don't get discouraged! 

I've made a lot of mistakes along the way and I hope you can learn from them.  Granted, I took a solid 4 years but I still could have done better at times. 

Hang in there, everyone!  If I can get this far down (jumping in a week or two), then anyone can!  23 years on this poison and here I am at .03.  Too many times over the years I never thought I'd get here.  I'm still sick. Still highly symptomatic but extremely hopeful!  A lot of the symptoms I had early on that were horrendous are long gone!  They've been replacled with new symptoms but I have to believe that with time, these will vanish as well. 

I'll try to get back on here more often now that my fingers work!  :)

Fondly,

Lori

PS:  Seasalt and WW, so happy to hear that you're both doing well!  Nice to see your names!   :smitten:

Lori, congratulations on being so low and so close! It has to feel so good for you to almost be rid of this poison!! 

Enzoit, I am so sorry you are having a difficult time.  It sounds like your body is still recovering.  Everyone is different.  I am still experiencing symptoms, some months worse than others.

Prayers you will turn a corner soon.

Enzoit, I am so sorry you are having a difficult time.  It sounds like your body is still recovering.  Everyone is different.  I am still experiencing symptoms, some months worse than others.

Prayers you will turn a corner soon.

Thank you very much, I’m very discouraged because it’s been a long time I don’t feel “normal”, even in my windows I constantly have symptoms and I can’t do anything basically