The Xanax Club, Let Us Know How You Are Feeling Today

[...]

Excited!!

I'm going to be drawing up my first reduction from my liquid solution after holding my initial dose of 2mg. for weeks for my body/CNS to get used to transitioning to liquid from tablets. I built up tolerance almost a year ago with the 2mg. It feels good to be moving things along, even though it will be a long road.  Interdose w/d have gotten bearable having switched from dosing 2x/day to 4x/day.  While I am still experiencing some iterdose w/d and general w/d Sx caused by tolerance, (like depression, intrusive thoughts, dp/dr, cognitive issues, memory, face hot or cold, tremors and twitches, etc),  I am feeling excited about moving a little further along the road to recovery.  I feel so supposed knowing that X users know the HELL of it's short action.  Love to you all. :smitten:

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [to...]

• [Di...]

• [...]

• [se...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Excited!!

I'm going to be drawing up my first reduction from my liquid solution after holding my initial dose of 2mg. for weeks for my body/CNS to get used to transitioning to liquid from tablets. I built up tolerance almost a year ago with the 2mg. It feels good to be moving things along, even though it will be a long road.  Interdose w/d have gotten bearable having switched from dosing 2x/day to 4x/day.  While I am still experiencing some iterdose w/d and general w/d Sx caused by tolerance, (like depression, intrusive thoughts, dp/dr, cognitive issues, memory, face hot or cold, tremors and twitches, etc),  I am feeling excited about moving a little further along the road to recovery.  I feel so supposed knowing that X users know the HELL of it's short action.  Love to you all. :smitten:

So happy for you that increasing the daily dose number has helped a bit!!! 🥳

Here’s to a much smoother taper ahead! 🙏🏼

Keep us posted.

Fondly,

Lori

Hello, how is everyone? Has everyone experienced mental confusion? Every time I have a conversation after a while I start to feel confused and tired.. after how long did it get better for you? I send everyone a hug

Hi EnzoIt,

So sorry you are suffering with this.  I have it on and off too.  I will be talking and randomly I will forget what I am talking about.  It used to happen a lot more than it does now thank goodness.  It usually only last a few days at a time for me and sometimes it is just a few times in one day and it is gone.  I hope it goes away fast for you too.  It is probably your brain adjusting to the lower dose you are on.

Congrats on being so low.  I know you will be so happy when you are done!!!

Take care.

Hugs to you too! :smitten:

Thanks Julia, how are you?! The problem for me is that I feel confused almost every time I have a conversation since I start my taper.. I don’t see many people reporting that, I just hope it’ll go away..

Hi EnzoIt,

I am hanging there.  I made another cut yesterday and have felt it today but not too bad.  I am having issues with my stomach still but I will get better.

I have not seem people talk about that either -  I know mine comes and goes and it has lessened over time but there are times when it is just so random that it still catches me off guard.

I hope it leave you too! 

Take care.

:smitten:

Hi Julia I hope you feel better today. I think my mental confusion is related to mental fatigue and brain fog , because I notice it totally gets worse when I engage in mental activities. Today is a bad day, all my body hurts, I feel like having a high fever. It’s so difficult.. HM I’m happy you’re able to taper very fast, besides insomnia do you have other symptoms?

Hi EnzoIt,

So sorry you are having those issues.  I would agree that it does sound like your mental confusion is related to mental fatigue and brain fog - I have that too.  It is strange but true that these symptoms affect us differently.  No 2 people seem to be the same.  I hope things ease up for you and that you feel better.  Sounds like you are going through a rough time. 

I am having some issues with my stomach and I believe it is from the PPI I take.  I have done a lot of research and Prilosec and Xanax do interact and I have known that for a while but did not know the extent it could be.  I am currently working on getting new meds so I can taper off the prilosec and then wean off the pepcid.  I talked to my pharmacist who verified the interaction with prilosec and xanax and she is glad I am going to try to get off the prilosec.  I was put on the prilosec for gastritis and not acid reflux.  It is hard to get off the PPI too as it also causes some serious withdrawal. 

I hope you have a better day and I hope you are feeling better!

HM - I hope you feel better as well.  Sounds like your cuts may have caught up with you although you have done really well.  I hope the anxiety gets better and I think you are wise to hold for a week or so.

Take care.

Been on Xanax for almost 40 years.  Was taking 4 mg up until a month ago and updosed to 6mg a day by my mental health provider.  I am new to tapering.  Day 1 taper less .25 for 5.75 per day; Day 2 less .50 for 5.50 per day and today which is Day 3 less .50 for 5.50.  Was taking 1 mg of Xanax 6 times a day and I taken .25 mg of 2 dosages throughout the day.  My question is since I just started the taper (day 3) when will I feel the withdrawal?  My intentions are to cut down another .50 in two weeks and then stay at 5mg of Xanax for a month and taper monthly from there.  Long story short, Xanax worked for me for a very very long time or at least I thought it did and then 2 months ago after some tragedy, the Xanax stopped working completely and I was crawling out of skin and had every sensation imaginable so my doctor updosed me 2mg which I now see was a mistake.  I have had hundreds of panic attacks and heart racing and much more throughout the years so I do not fear the sensations but they are still beyond uncomfortable.  I have started to D.A.R.E. program to help with my anxiety to help me get off the Xanax.  Also, with each taper, will my withdrawals become worse?  I just have so many questions if anyone doesn't mind answering.  And Yes, I do realize it is going to take well over a year or more to get off something I should have gotten off a Long long time ago. 

Thanks Julia, I read brain fog is very common, so I guess that if only few people have a severe one it means it will get better! Let’s hope it won’t be too long! I’m sorry for your stomach issues, every pain is ugly.. I wish you a nice day!

Thanks Julia, I read brain fog is very common, so I guess that if only few people have a severe one it means it will get better! Let’s hope it won’t be too long! I’m sorry for your stomach issues, every pain is ugly.. I wish you a nice day!

Thanks EnzoIt - I believe you will recover and your brain will heal.  It may take some time but I do believe it will happen for you!!  I hope you have a nice day too!!

Hugs! :smitten:

Been on Xanax for almost 40 years.  Was taking 4 mg up until a month ago and updosed to 6mg a day by my mental health provider.  I am new to tapering.  Day 1 taper less .25 for 5.75 per day; Day 2 less .50 for 5.50 per day and today which is Day 3 less .50 for 5.50.  Was taking 1 mg of Xanax 6 times a day and I taken .25 mg of 2 dosages throughout the day.  My question is since I just started the taper (day 3) when will I feel the withdrawal?  My intentions are to cut down another .50 in two weeks and then stay at 5mg of Xanax for a month and taper monthly from there.  Long story short, Xanax worked for me for a very very long time or at least I thought it did and then 2 months ago after some tragedy, the Xanax stopped working completely and I was crawling out of skin and had every sensation imaginable so my doctor updosed me 2mg which I now see was a mistake.  I have had hundreds of panic attacks and heart racing and much more throughout the years so I do not fear the sensations but they are still beyond uncomfortable.  I have started to D.A.R.E. program to help with my anxiety to help me get off the Xanax.  Also, with each taper, will my withdrawals become worse?  I just have so many questions if anyone doesn't mind answering.  And Yes, I do realize it is going to take well over a year or more to get off something I should have gotten off a Long long time ago.

Welcome Torris,

I am glad that you found BB.  There is so much support and understanding here.  I hope you feel welcome and not so alone.  I read your introduction and I want to say I am so sorry for all that you have endured.  My heart goes out to you! 

I have taken xanax on and off for over 35 years.  For years I only took it as needed and only took it a few times a year.  6 years ago, I was put on it daily at 3mg a day and after a few months, the doctor took me off cold turkey.  I went through hell for 7-8 months and did not know what I was dealing with was a cold turkey and severe withdrawal.  I thought I was dying.  I was sent to a psychiatrist who also did not know what was wrong with me but put me back on xanax.  He started me out on 2.75 mg a day and over a year and a half he increased my dose to 4 mg a day.  The last couple months before I found BB, I was taking the 3.5-4 mg a day and had so many health issues and still did not know it was the xanax causing me so many problems.  I had never had panic attacks until I was cold turkeyed from the xanax.  It was horrible.  When I found BB in January 2019, I started to read the stories and they were all talking about me in some way or another.  I finally found out what was the cause of all my health issues I had been having and it was xanax.  The cold turkey had made me very sick with severe withdrawal and then when I was reinstated on xanax , it took a year or so to get stable.  Once I was stable, the doctor kept increasing the dose and I started having stroke and heart attack symptoms.  When I started to taper January 11, 2019 - I was so relieved to know what was wrong with me and I was really happy to know there was something I could do to get off xanax and get better.

Since I have started tapering, there are so many WD (withdrawal) symptoms that have gone away or gotten better.  When I started to taper, I also made what I consider large cuts - .25mg .  I did that until I got down to 2.75 and then I started having rough WD and had to slow down my taper.  Since then, I tapered 5-8% every few weeks.  Some times I am able to cut every couple weeks and sometimes I have to wait  a month or so.  I have to go by how my symptoms are.  If they are tolerable, I make another cut, if they are not, I wait.  It has taken me 32 months to go from 4 mg a day down to .4244.  This has taken a long time but it is how it has had to be for me.  I should be off in a few months if I do well with symptoms.

To answer your question - no 2 people are the same.  When you are starting with a higher dose like you are, it may take you a while to have intolerable symptoms.  I went from 4 to 2.75 before I had to slow down my taper.  It sounds like your plan is working for you so far and if it were me, I would continue with the .5 or .25 mg cuts until you start to have symptoms that make you uncomfortable.  That is when I would hold and when you start to feel better, start cutting again. The lower you go in dose, the more symptoms you will probably have.  Not everyone has bad symptoms.  The less xanax you have in your system, the more symptoms most people have and that is when your brain and central nervous system has to adjust. When your brain and CNS is adjusting I believe that is when you are healing.  We all heal as we go during the taper as long as we are doing a safe and usually slow taper.  Going to quick with the taper usually gives people stronger symptoms and they are harder to stabilize from.  Being stable is important - that is being able to function while tapering.  It sounds like you hit a wall with the xanax and it stopped helping you, that is what we call tolerance and when that happens we start to have withdrawal because our bodies want more but we are not giving it more so we start to have symptoms like you described with the sensations etc.

You are in a good place here and anytime you need help, support or encouragement, please post and we will help you as much as we can.

Sorry this was so long but I wanted you to know that you are not alone and I also have come from what I consider a high dose of xanax. 

Some people are able to taper faster than others.  The only thing you can do is make your cuts and if you feel good, then make another one, if you do not feel good, hold until you do.

I also am not one that can do the liquid crossover.  I have been breaking my pills since I started to taper and am now at the point where I am using a scale and weigh my pills and shave them with a nail file.  You are a long way from doing that but I wanted you to know that there are many of us that have stayed with dry cutting xanax all the way to the end.  It is possible and many have done it.

Good luck with your taper.

I saw where Pamster suggested that you keep a journal and there is a place on BB where you can start your own progress blog and you can write what you are going through each day if you would like.  The link is below - you just click on the link and then it takes you to that area on BB and you click new topic and start your blog. 

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=87.0

Also if you post on a thread and you want to know when someone post on it, you can click notify at the top of a thread and you will get a email.

Take care and remember you are not alone.

Julia

I'm currently taking 2mg X divided into 4 doses per day. Liquid tapering is not working for me.  I am switching to a dry micro taper as son as my scale arrives.  What have others done when they have dry tapered when dosing multiple times per day?  What has worked best for them? Taper across all doses? Or just start with AM dose and eliminate that dose first and then moving on to other doses once AM dose is fully tapered.  Need help with some good feedback and others experience with X tapering using this method while dosing several times per day. 

I'm currently taking 2mg X divided into 4 doses per day. Liquid tapering is not working for me.  I am switching to a dry micro taper as son as my scale arrives.  What have others done when they have dry tapered when dosing multiple times per day?  What has worked best for them? Taper across all doses? Or just start with AM dose and eliminate that dose first and then moving on to other doses once AM dose is fully tapered.  Need help with some good feedback and others experience with X tapering using this method while dosing several times per day.

Hi Widesky,

I was not able to use the liquid either and have been dry cutting the whole time I have tapered.  I also dose 4 times a day splitting my doses equally.

When I was at 3.5-4 mg a day, it was easier to cut the pills but since I have gotten lower in dose, it has become more difficult so recently I got a scale and I now use the scale to weigh the pills and then use a nail file to file the pills to the doses I need.  I do equal doses for the 4 doses a day.  I do not plan to take away any doses and plan to continue down to the end using the 4 dose per day method.  I may run into an issue when I get much lower and if I do, I plan on crushing pills, making sure they are thoroughly mixed up and then dividing my doses into 4 and putting them in applesauce or juice or something else.  I have always doses 4 times a day and if I do not, I have interdose withdrawal.  Dosing less than the 4 times a day is not an option for me at this point.

When I got under 1 mg, I had my nurse change my prescription to .25 mg pills as they were easier to cut in to the doses I needed.  I also did this when I was at 2 mg  and I had her prescribe .5 mg and it made cutting the pills easier for me. 

If you start eliminating doses, I feel you would end up having interdose withdrawal.  Keeping all doses equal also keeps the same amount of medication in your system throughout the day.   

I have had to change my taper and strategy several times but I will be dry cutting all the way to the end of my taper.

Hope this info is helpful to you.

Thank you so much for all the information tolnbltp!  I am so sorry you had to endure withdrawal hell as I did experience that for only 2 months and it does bring you to your knees.  My doctor did not know that I had hit tolerance and believed it was just the tragedies I was going through.  I know know it was sudden tolerance from the Xanax and that was that.  I agree that so many mental health providers do not have a clue about Xanax nor what the side effects of withdrawal are nor what tolerance is.  In any event, I am just stabilizing these past 2 weeks from the ordeal I went through.  I was unable to function for over a month to include eating or sleeping more then 3 hours a night at best, constant heart racing, mental instability that I had never experienced in my life but I am bound and determined to get this poison out of my system.  I do believe Xanax alone has caused me many problems with my heart and once I get off this mess, my heart will start to heal also.  Question to you, did you make your first cut a .25 taper and do a taper monthly when you first started?  Being on 4 mg and then updosed to 6 mg in 1 month, I thought I could at least taper .50 every 2 weeks (10%) until I reach 5 mg and then stay for a month or less before making the next .50 cut.  I figure by the time I am back down to my original dose of 4 mg, I can then start the taper at .25 every two weeks to a month and see how I feel.  I agree it is all about being stable and not pushing as I certainly do not want withdrawals that I cannot handle and with all that has happened, I certainly cannot take the over the top physical and mental severe withdrawals I went though again.  I can't thank you enough for offering your help as I have no family now for support and I am doing this on my own.  Also, when you were doing your taper, how many times a day did you take xanax?  I am taking my xanax every 4 hours so 6 times a day.  As I taper off, I thought I would keep on this schedule to allow my brain to at least have something it is used to.  Right now, I am just shaving off .25 two times a day but with the next taper will shave off .25 4 times a day to bring me back down to 5 and then a month later, shave off another .25 6 times a day to bring me down to 4.5 and so on from there.  I do pray that I can catch myself quickly if I start to have withdrawals so I can sit awhile and maintain before making another cut.  Just this week, I am starting to think more clearly and I can only pray that God will give me the strength to fight this battle.  Again, I can't thank you enough for all your help. 

Hi Torris,

Thank you, I appreciate your kind words!  Sounds like you have been through a lot the last few weeks too with benzo hell.  It is really hard!!  But - we can move forward and get off these meds.

When I first started my first cut was actually a .5 mg cut as I went from 4 mg to 3.5 mg a day.  Then I made cuts of .25 mg until I got down to 2.75 mg.  Once I got to there, I cut .125 and then I started to cut .0625.  I had to finally start using the percentages so I would not cut too much and have awful withdrawal.  It is suggested that you cut 5% -10% every 10-14 days. 

Now I am cutting 3% a week as long as my symptoms are tolerable and I am functional.  If I have a week that is rough, I will hold for another week until I feel ok then make another cut.

I think your plan sounds good.  Since you are at the higher dose, you can more than likely make the cuts of .5 and then go to .25 for awhile.  If you start feeling symptoms, listen to your body and hold for a week or 2 and sometimes longer if necessary.

I dose 4 times a day and always have, even before my taper.  If  I dose less than that a day, I get interdose withdrawal and that is no fun either.  I do not get up in the night to take a xanax.  I take my first dose as soon as I get up and I spread the other 3 doses out and the last dose of the day for me is at 8:30 pm.  By the time I get up the next morning, it has been around 12-14 hours since I have had a dose.  I go to bed late and do not get up until around 10 am. 

I see nothing wrong with dosing 6 times a day if that helps you.  I am guessing that you do get up in the night to dose, some people do.  I have never had to do that.  If that works for you, there is nothing wrong with that.  You do what works and if something does not work for you, you can change it.  There is no one set way to do this.  This is trial and error for a lot of us.

I am so glad you are thinking more clearly!  I know that has to feel good.

You can do this.  We are all here and we understand what you are going through! 

Take care.

tolnbtlb, you have helped me with your advice.  I have interdose withdrawal if I don't dose 4x/day.  I'm going to add you to by buddy list..  I appreciate you, your clarity, your help and your process. Thank you.

Widesky and Torris so glad you found this thread.  You will get lots of help and support here Julia has lots of helpful info as do others.  I started out on xanax but was changed to Lorazepam abruptly. 

Wishing the best with your tapers.

Hugs❤

Hi Debbie,

Hope you're having a better evening!!

It's been a rough day and evening. Hoping tomorrow is better!!

Love and prayers!!!♥️♥️🙏🙏🙏

Torres,

I started with 4mg a day and used to dose 7 times a day. If I didn't, I got interdose WD. I seem to tolerate it better now, although I am currently holding for a week as I have had some breakthrough anxiety.

It's good to have you here! Have a great night!

HM

Hi Debbie,

Hi Julia,

I'm so sorry yesterday and last night were so bad for you I hope today is much better you need a break.

I didn't have a good day or evening last night and this morning hasn't started out very well.

Praying for us both.

Love and hugs❤❤❤

Hi Debbie,

Hi Julia,

I'm so sorry yesterday and last night were so bad for you I hope today is much better you need a break.

I didn't have a good day or evening last night and this morning hasn't started out very well.

Praying for us both.

Love and hugs❤❤❤

Hey Debbie,

Thank you, my stomach is still hurting this morning and I am having some interdose WD from the cut I made Sunday.  It is not really bad but it is getting my attention.  I just took my 2nd dose for today so it should get better soon. This is how it was a week or so ago and then went away.  Still dealing with the off balance too, last night it was worse than it has been in a while - again - I think that was because I took that extra prilosec the night before.  I think trying the experiment with the prilosec messed things up a bit.  I am still waiting on the 10 mg pills and I just got the pepcid today so when I get all the meds I will start working on that taper too.  I need some relief from this.  UGGG 

I am so sorry that you are not getting any relief.  I was hoping the changes would help you.  Maybe it needs more time for you to adjust.  I am praying for us both too!!!!  We both could use a break, that is for sure!!

Love you!! :smitten:

Debbie,

I hope you feel better soon! I am sorry you have been suffering lately.

Julie.

I am sorry about your stomach issues. I hope it resolves quickly. I am sorry about the interdose WD too. That's rough.

Lori,

Thank you for all your great advice and input. I hope you're doing OK today.

Widesky and Torres,

I hope you are both having a good Thursday so far.

Everybody else,

I hope you're well and happy Thursday.

I am having morning anxiety. I am holding at my current dose to see if it calms down a bit. It it doesn't, I may have to updose or add in a dose. I'll try to tough it out, first though.

Hopefully,  my anxiety comes down throughout the day.

HM

Hi HM,

Thank you.  The prilosec that I take has been interacting with the xanax and has been causing me stomach pain for a while now.  The doctor agrees that this is from the prilosec and I am going to try to wean off of it once I get the meds I need.  A PPI is also a bear to come off of and I am not looking forward to doing this while tapering xanax.  But I will do what I have to do to feel better!!

Yeah - the interdose WD is rough.  I am sure that will pass shortly since I took my 2nd dose about 30 minutes ago.

Sorry you are having strong anxiety.  I think it is smart to hold until you are better.  You have done great with your taper.  Your body may just need a break before you can continue.  I hope it gets better for you soon.

I read some of your post and I just wanted to say to you that you are in my prayers.  We all have our stories and you never know what another has or is going through. 

Hugs and prayers!!  :smitten:

Hi Julia,

I am so sorry your stomach is hurting and that you are having interdose wd.  I hope your second dose helps you quickly.  It's a shame we have to experiment to try and find something to help us why can't this just be black and white!  Praying you will feel better as the day goes on.

I guess it will take this medicine time to help which I hope it does help.  Sounds like there isn't much you can do other than take PPIs, antacids and change your diet.

We just keep praying.

Love you❤❤❤

Hi Julia,

I am so sorry your stomach is hurting and that you are having interdose wd.  I hope your second dose helps you quickly.  It's a shame we have to experiment to try and find something to help us why can't this just be black and white!  Praying you will feel better as the day goes on.

I guess it will take this medicine time to help which I hope it does help.  Sounds like there isn't much you can do other than take PPIs, antacids and change your diet.

We just keep praying.

Love you❤❤❤

Hey Debbie,

Thank you!  The 2nd dose is taking it's own sweet time today!  UGGG  I agree, it really is a shame we have to do all we have to do to get better.  Being black and white would be great!!

I hope the meds work for you too!!  I agree, it seems the meds they say will work all have issues and interactions and can cause other issues.  It is a vicious cycle.

I hope you will feel better as the day goes on too!  I know you could use a break!!!

Praying we get better soon.  The stomach and anxiety is bad enough but to have to deal with tapering too sucks.  But you know what? - We will get through this!!  We have gotten this far!!  There is a light at the end of this long tunnel.

Love and hugs!!! :smitten: