The Xanax Club, Let Us Know How You Are Feeling Today

[...]

Julia:  I am so sorry to hear about your stomach and I also went through a horrible time tapering off Omeprazole that I had taken for almost 2 years.  I cut the pills in half for a few weeks and then got a prescription dose from my doctor the tiny 10 mg capsules and just took out a few of the small pellets every day and within 7 days I was off them.  Stomach was still bothering me and long story short, I had to have my gallbladder removed.  Since I had my gallbladder removed, I changed my diet and my GERD has completely went away.  I don't eat any sugar nor fried food, no chips, no junk food.  I eat a very clean diet with lots of greens, fruit and fish.  I do have whole grain bread but I am very careful to make sure no sugar is added.  In any event, I hope your stomach heals up soon!

Hi Torris,

Thank you!  4 years ago I was having stomach pain and I went to the doctor and she had me do  a blood test and a ultrasound.  They found I had H Pylori and also gallstones.  My gallbladder was removed and then I was treated for h pylori with antibiotics and was also put on prilosec.  My doctor never took me off it.  She said I have gastritis.  My stomach has hurt on and off during my taper but has been hurting daily since last November.  There is an interaction between xanax and prilosec and I had to start taking them at different times.  Now every morning when I get up my stomach starts hurting.  I take my prilosec and then within around 3-4 hours my stomach eases up.  It is like the medicine has gotten back into my system so I talked to my doc and NP and decided to taper the prilosec.  I got 10mg pills yesterday from the pharmacy and took one last night and I had a reaction to it and had to take a Benadryl.  I called the pharmacy and they told me not to take anymore and that I must be allergic to one of the ingredients in the 10 mg.  So - now I have to figure out what to do but I am scared to take anything as I am so sensitive to meds and alot of other things.

I am going to talk to my doctor and see what he says.  If I taper the prilosec - there is also the possibility that it will affect my xanax dosing.  All this time I did not know about the interaction and that interaction is that the prilosec can cause the xanax to not metabolize and it can stay in your body longer - Without the prilosec, I may feel interdose withdrawal more because the xanax could leave my system faster.  Bad situation.  I will figure it out.  I do not have acid reflux and I believe the gastritis was healed a very long time ago....

Hope you are doing good tonight!

Julia

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [to...]

• [Di...]

• [...]

• [se...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Julia:  I took the OTC Omeprazole.  Can't you just  break the prilosec in half?  Also, since you have had your gallbladder removed and now having pain every day, you might want to get checked out just to make sure a stone has not stuck in our bile duct.  I was told that even after gallbladder removal we can still get stones.  I noticed also that went I get stressed the first thing to act up in my stomach.  I also have noted that since I had my gallbladder removed, some of the foods I used to eat I can no longer eat without feeling sick.  Lots of trial and error.  I understand the sensitivity to drugs, food and etc.  I am scared to take any drugs as I always have side effects.  I even make sure I only take Xanax by Greenstone as other brands of Xanax have given me side effects.  I do hope you find the reason for your stomach issues.  I have to admit,  I  never thought about taking Prilosec and Xanax together causing an interaction.  Maybe that is why I felt great for the 2 years I was taking Omeprazole and Xanax together.. 

Day 3 of taper and I barely slept 5 hours of broken up sleep last night.  I am praying that tonight I sleep and start to feel better.  Last week when I started my first taper, by the 4th day I was feeling good so I hope this week follows last week.  I am tired but irritated today most likely from lack of sleep but at least my back and neck pain is letting up a little.  I believe I tapered a little to quickly this week but since I am on day 3, I will stick with this uncomfortableness and pray for better days ahead. 

Hope you have a wonderful day!!!!

Keep going Torris!

You’re doing great and it will get better. I’ve been clean for 11 days and love the discomfort. The reason I say this is because in the past I was sedated and felt numb. Your sleep may be screwed up for a while but you’ll get through it. Follow some steps to get ready for bed which include putting down the phone or even visiting this website. I truly appreciate this forum but it’ll be here tomorrow and the day after. Meditate before bed if you’re into that.

You’re doing just fine and don’t overthink things. A racing mind can be tamed.

Stay strong and Peace.

Keep going Torris!

You’re doing great and it will get better. I’ve been clean for 11 days and love the discomfort. The reason I say this is because in the past I was sedated and felt numb. Your sleep may be screwed up for a while but you’ll get through it. Follow some steps to get ready for bed which include putting down the phone or even visiting this website. I truly appreciate this forum but it’ll be here tomorrow and the day after. Meditate before bed if you’re into that.

You’re doing just fine and don’t overthink things. A racing mind can be tamed.

Stay strong and Peace.

What you saiid was wise and helpful.  I find staying off the website helps me. Only visiting 1-2 x per week . Trusting myself is priceless.

Thank you for the encouragement Old Sal:  I would not like feeling numb or sedated at all and I do expect some discomfort.  I drove to the doctors today and he was quite happy that I took away 1mg of Xanax in just little over a week although he wants me to slow down my taper for a great outcome.  I told him I would never take another pill again unless I was dying.  I honestly can't stand medication.  He was very pleased with my wonderful blood test results and eating habits.  I don't eat sugar or junk food of any kind and I exercise.  He asked me how I was handling the Tachycardia and I told him just fine as I do meditate and can bring my racing heart down.  I did find out I sill have a sinus infection and an ear infection so I am sure that has been adding to my discomfort but l will get over it.  I do realize how blessed I am and after I left his office, I drove to Costco walk around and did some grocery shopping, got some gas and came home feeling better.  I am using the D.A.R.E. program in which I am taming my overactive mind to slow down and it does work wonders.  I will stay strong and I hope you stay strong as well as we will all get through this.  What God leads us to, he always brings us through.....  Have a wonderful day. 

Hi Torris

You sound wonderful! I can tell it in your writing. You have the right attitude and you will succeed!

Keep doing what your doing.

Stay focused and stay safe. Happy for you. Even your doctor is happy with your progress so people are noticing.

Be well

Peace

Julia:  I took the OTC Omeprazole.  Can't you just  break the prilosec in half?  Also, since you have had your gallbladder removed and now having pain every day, you might want to get checked out just to make sure a stone has not stuck in our bile duct.  I was told that even after gallbladder removal we can still get stones.  I noticed also that went I get stressed the first thing to act up in my stomach.  I also have noted that since I had my gallbladder removed, some of the foods I used to eat I can no longer eat without feeling sick.  Lots of trial and error.  I understand the sensitivity to drugs, food and etc.  I am scared to take any drugs as I always have side effects.  I even make sure I only take Xanax by Greenstone as other brands of Xanax have given me side effects.  I do hope you find the reason for your stomach issues.  I have to admit,  I  never thought about taking Prilosec and Xanax together causing an interaction.  Maybe that is why I felt great for the 2 years I was taking Omeprazole and Xanax together.. 

Day 3 of taper and I barely slept 5 hours of broken up sleep last night.  I am praying that tonight I sleep and start to feel better.  Last week when I started my first taper, by the 4th day I was feeling good so I hope this week follows last week.  I am tired but irritated today most likely from lack of sleep but at least my back and neck pain is letting up a little.  I believe I tapered a little to quickly this week but since I am on day 3, I will stick with this uncomfortableness and pray for better days ahead. 

Hi Torris,

I take prescription omeprazole and they are capsules so I can not break them in half.  I went to the hospital a couple months ago for the pain in my stomach and they did not find anything and this has been going on daily since November 2020.  My doctor thinks it is the omeprazole and so does my NP.  I have done everything I can do to make it better but at this point we think I am going to have to deal with the pain until I get off the xanax.  I am not willing to try another med after the reaction I had the other night.  I may however, take another dose in the evening and see if that helps.  I hate to up my dose but if I do not take it close to a xanax dose, it may be ok.  I will definitely be tapering off of it once I am done with the xanax.

Xanax by Greenstone is the only one I can take.  The pharmacy sent me another brand a couple years ago and it did not go well and they now have it on my chart Greenstone is the only one I can take.  It is so strange how brands can be so different but they are.  I have read they can be up to 30% in difference for the same dose.

Your taking the 2 meds together could have helped you but a year or 2 ago, I started to get sedated from taking them at the same time and stopped that and it went away.  I have to take them with some time in between.

I agree that you probably tapered too fast and I think your doctor was wise to suggest you slow down.  I understand why you did it, I think you are smart to slow it down now.  It sounds like you have a supportive doctor and that is always a plus. 

I sometimes have a hard time sleeping but for the most part I sleep well, thank goodness.  Last night was one of the nights it took forever to go to sleep and it happened to be a morning I had to get p early. 

I think you are doing well and I think you have a good attitude and being positive will help you so much as well as distraction. 

I have read some post on some threads lately about addiction and I think some people get confused when it comes to benzos and other (street) drugs.  For me, I am not an addict.  I am dependent on a prescribed medication.  I do not have cravings for xanax and I never got high off of it.  I never took it to get high.  It only helps me with withdrawal.  Other than that - it has no benefit to me at all.  If I do not take it, I have terrible withdrawal and suffer.  Tapering is the only way for me to get off the xanax and feel better once I completely heal from the damage this med does to my brain and central nervous system.  Just wanted to share that.

I hope you sleep better tonight.  Things will get better. 

Julia

Julia:  With the Omeprazole prescription capsules, you can open them up and remove the pellets.  When I was on OTC Omeprazole, I Cut them in half and it worked for a while and then I had to get prescription Omeprazole to taper by removing pellets each day until I was off of them.  I had stomach aches very much during my taper and after my taper but it does go away in time or it did for me.  Greenstone is the maker of Xanax and you are like me as different makers cause side effects period.  I am allergic to so many drugs, wool, nickel, etc.  I think I feel the effects of Xanax so much as that is the only medication I am on and I always know when something is off.  I do pray your stomach evens out soon but agree you probably will not get full relief until you stop taking the Omeprazole. 

I believe most people that come on this website are people who were prescribed Xanax.  Back in the 80's when I was prescribed Xanax, that was the go to drug by most doctors.  Xanax has never made me feel high and only kept me normal due to my high anxiety.  I have never abused it and always took it as prescribed and while seeing a mental health doctor every month but after going through what I went through went I hit tolerance, I wouldn't wish Xanax on my worst enemy.  Xanax in my opinion, is a bad drug.  It is horrible drug to get off of whether prescribed or taken for pleasure.  It is all the same.  Benzo hell.  I honestly pray for all that are going through Benzo withdrawal as the side effects are awful and take many by surprise.  Most doctors are not well versed on GABA and how Benzos grab hold of receptors in the brain to slow them down.  The awful part is that when you take Xanax, your body stops make the much needed GABA and it takes time for the brain to realize it needs to start producing again and the sad part is that even after you stop the benzos, the brain has still not fully healed as so many different chemicals are in play.  I am sure you are more aware of this than I but I do wish every doctor told every patient what they are getting into when they take a benzo. 

I believe I will sleep better tonight.  After I left the doctors office I did have a productive day so all is good.  You have been such a inspiration to me and there are so many people on this site that are just lovely.  I hope we all can all have a positive journey together.  Sleep well my friend!

Hi Torris,

I take prescription omeprazole and they are capsules so I can not break them in half.  I went to the hospital a couple months ago for the pain in my stomach and they did not find anything and this has been going on daily since November 2020.  My doctor thinks it is the omeprazole and so does my NP.  I have done everything I can do to make it better but at this point we think I am going to have to deal with the pain until I get off the xanax.  I am not willing to try another med after the reaction I had the other night.  I may however, take another dose in the evening and see if that helps.  I hate to up my dose but if I do not take it close to a xanax dose, it may be ok.  I will definitely be tapering off of it once I am done with the xanax.

Xanax by Greenstone is the only one I can take.  The pharmacy sent me another brand a couple years ago and it did not go well and they now have it on my chart Greenstone is the only one I can take.  It is so strange how brands can be so different but they are.  I have read they can be up to 30% in difference for the same dose.

Your taking the 2 meds together could have helped you but a year or 2 ago, I started to get sedated from taking them at the same time and stopped that and it went away.  I have to take them with some time in between.

I agree that you probably tapered too fast and I think your doctor was wise to suggest you slow down.  I understand why you did it, I think you are smart to slow it down now.  It sounds like you have a supportive doctor and that is always a plus. 

I sometimes have a hard time sleeping but for the most part I sleep well, thank goodness.  Last night was one of the nights it took forever to go to sleep and it happened to be a morning I had to get p early. 

I think you are doing well and I think you have a good attitude and being positive will help you so much as well as distraction. 

I have read some post on some threads lately about addiction and I think some people get confused when it comes to benzos and other (street) drugs.  For me, I am not an addict.  I am dependent on a prescribed medication.  I do not have cravings for xanax and I never got high off of it.  I never took it to get high.  It only helps me with withdrawal.  Other than that - it has no benefit to me at all.  If I do not take it, I have terrible withdrawal and suffer.  Tapering is the only way for me to get off the xanax and feel better once I completely heal from the damage this med does to my brain and central nervous system.  Just wanted to share that.

I hope you sleep better tonight.  Things will get better. 

Julia

You can request what manufacturer you want from a pharmacy?  I assumed they order from one distributor and the final choice is whatever the distribution center supplies.  Do you use a special pharmacy or have super good insurance where they let you choose the brands?

Julia:  With the Omeprazole prescription capsules, you can open them up and remove the pellets.  When I was on OTC Omeprazole, I Cut them in half and it worked for a while and then I had to get prescription Omeprazole to taper by removing pellets each day until I was off of them.  I had stomach aches very much during my taper and after my taper but it does go away in time or it did for me.  Greenstone is the maker of Xanax and you are like me as different makers cause side effects period.  I am allergic to so many drugs, wool, nickel, etc.  I think I feel the effects of Xanax so much as that is the only medication I am on and I always know when something is off.  I do pray your stomach evens out soon but agree you probably will not get full relief until you stop taking the Omeprazole. 

I believe most people that come on this website are people who were prescribed Xanax.  Back in the 80's when I was prescribed Xanax, that was the go to drug by most doctors.  Xanax has never made me feel high and only kept me normal due to my high anxiety.  I have never abused it and always took it as prescribed and while seeing a mental health doctor every month but after going through what I went through went I hit tolerance, I wouldn't wish Xanax on my worst enemy.  Xanax in my opinion, is a bad drug.  It is horrible drug to get off of whether prescribed or taken for pleasure.  It is all the same.  Benzo hell.  I honestly pray for all that are going through Benzo withdrawal as the side effects are awful and take many by surprise.  Most doctors are not well versed on GABA and how Benzos grab hold of receptors in the brain to slow them down.  The awful part is that when you take Xanax, your body stops make the much needed GABA and it takes time for the brain to realize it needs to start producing again and the sad part is that even after you stop the benzos, the brain has still not fully healed as so many different chemicals are in play.  I am sure you are more aware of this than I but I do wish every doctor told every patient what they are getting into when they take a benzo. 

I believe I will sleep better tonight.  After I left the doctors office I did have a productive day so all is good.  You have been such a inspiration to me and there are so many people on this site that are just lovely.  I hope we all can all have a positive journey together.  Sleep well my friend!

Hi Torris,

Thanks for your reply.  I think I will end up opening the capsules and taking some of the beads out when my system will allow me to try.  Thank you for that information.  It is helpful.  Thank you - I am hoping it gets better but agree it probably will not until I am off the omeprazole. 

I agree with everything you said about the xanax and doctors not being versed on knowing how it affects GABA and how hard it is to come off. 

I hope you were able to sleep better last night.

Take care!

Julia  :smitten:

Widesky,

Most pharmacies like CVS or Walgreens etc usually can only get meds from certain suppliers.  I use Express Scripts and they are able to order the Greenstone for me as I had issues with other brands.

My husband is retired military so we can use Express Scripts so I do not know who else can use them.

hi guys,

I would love to join this group as I need all the support I can get --- been reading some of the more recent posts and you all seem very supportive -- so thanks for having me.

you can see in my ID line below my story -- but basically where I am as of right now is seven weeks into a hold from that updose from .65 to 1mg.  I also take 15mg of mirtazapone at night.  my suffering is pretty rough right now - a lot of internal agitation/like an internal akathesia (agitated dysphoric state), racing thoughts, depression, SI, anxiety, terror and fear.......primarly mental with the exception of the skin burning and feeling like I am going to come out of my skin that I feel throughout the day.

things tend to ease up sometime between 7:30 and 9:30 at night -- so I take advantage of that time to read, write, snack and I feel a glimpse of myself during those hours - then around midnight or so I take the mirtazapine and go to bed only to wake up to hell the next morning.

so, I am at 1mg of xanax-- I dose five times a day ---- using a dlmt method ---- I was having a wonderful taper -- minimal symptoms from June of 2020 when I started at 1.5mg of Xanax and then in February of 2021 when I hit .75, still doing well but my blooodwork came back and B6 was almost toxic. 

I had to reduce the he-man supplements my doc had me on -- six amino acid supplements (that had like 40 ingredients) and a he-man multi vitamin - she had me taking ten of them. when I stopped them and fell apart I found out that these were used to help people taper by potentiating the meds folks are on ---so my nice steady and slow micro taper suddenly had a MASSIVE CUT in terms of how much had built up in my system as a result of the supplements and when I stopped -- that liver pathway cleared and so did all the Xanax --- so it has felt like a really rapid taper, almost a CT.

I am praying to gain back some stability. 

Thanks for having me!  I'll probably hold a few more weeks then start my taper

Hi 300days!

You’re going thru a rough patch but it will pass.

You are on the right track. We’re here to help you along. Just focus on the good you’re doing instead of the mind games the benzos are playing.

Stay with us!

Peace

5 days on my second week taper and not feeling as great this week.  Yesterday and this morning I woke up out of sleep with heart Palpitations and this morning after I fell back asleep I woke up sick at my stomach and had the chills.  This is certainly no fun.  Praying later this afternoon I will start to feel better.  I believe I might have tapered to quickly but will continue to move forward with a slower taper.  Trying to put my mind on the positive things I have in my life and not the negative.  Has anyone else had trouble sleeping, heart palpitations, Nausea and headaches tapering from Xanax? 

Torris

Sorry to say but the journey to recovery is not an easy one. I just finished my second week and feel good! Some advice… read a book, garden, walk slowly. Anything to keep your mind occupied. Be proud of your accomplishments! We are!

Stay busy and stay safe. It will get better.

Old Sal

Thanks Old Sal.  I know we are all on this journey together and will get through it.  I have been trying to keep busy.  Fighting a sinus infection with the Benzo blues and a UTI, so I am trying to figure out what is causing what.  Sometimes you just have to laugh to keep your sanity.  I hope you have a wonderful blessed day!

Torris

Laughing is good. It’s healing! We are together on this journey and please know that it does get better over time. There is a song called Why Worry by Dire Straits. Very appropriate. Feel better and take it slow. No rush here, just concentrate on the good things in your life like bring alive and kicking this ugly habit. Keep going strong. God Bless you as well friend!

Peace

Old Sal

I went to take a gentle walk but after 15 minutes too much visual stimulation got me dizzy again, damn how much I hate this, I’d love to be able to workout

5 days on my second week taper and not feeling as great this week.  Yesterday and this morning I woke up out of sleep with heart Palpitations and this morning after I fell back asleep I woke up sick at my stomach and had the chills.  This is certainly no fun.  Praying later this afternoon I will start to feel better.  I believe I might have tapered to quickly but will continue to move forward with a slower taper.  Trying to put my mind on the positive things I have in my life and not the negative.  Has anyone else had trouble sleeping, heart palpitations, Nausea and headaches tapering from Xanax?

I've not had nausea yet but yes to sleep trouble, heart palpitations and massive headaches ranging from pressure headaches to serious migraines.  When I was forced to go CT for a few days because my doctor screwed up the timing of my prescription, I did have nausea and no desire to eat.  Keep posting, it helps others and yourself.

Thank you for replying Widesky.  I know from reading your posts you have certainly been through a lot. Any doctor that forces anyone to go cold turkey (or is incompetent enough to let any patient go cold turkey without tapering) off a benzo should have their license revoked.  Just happy you are doing better now.  I ended up at the doctors yesterday and I have a lovely UTI along with a continued sinus infection and ear infection.  I believe the nausea was caused by the UTI which I am on antibiotics that I started this morning.  For the third day in a row, I did wake up from a deep sleep with my heart racing and nausea.  Certainly not a pleasant way to start the day but it could be worse.  I just don't want to get into a mind frame of being afraid of sleep because of waking up not feeling well so I am using the D.A.R.E. app to get a hold of myself.  6th day of my taper and I am holding steady at 5mg.  Happy that I was able to taper off 1 mg of Xanax in just over a week.  So that is a plus!  Anxiety is no fun with it ups and downs but I am so looking forward to being benzo free and dealing with anxiety through meditation and natural remedies.  Hope you have a wonderful blessed day!

Thank you for replying Widesky.  I know from reading your posts you have certainly been through a lot. Any doctor that forces anyone to go cold turkey (or is incompetent enough to let any patient go cold turkey without tapering) off a benzo should have their license revoked.  Just happy you are doing better now.  I ended up at the doctors yesterday and I have a lovely UTI along with a continued sinus infection and ear infection.  I believe the nausea was caused by the UTI which I am on antibiotics that I started this morning.  For the third day in a row, I did wake up from a deep sleep with my heart racing and nausea.  Certainly not a pleasant way to start the day but it could be worse.  I just don't want to get into a mind frame of being afraid of sleep because of waking up not feeling well so I am using the D.A.R.E. app to get a hold of myself.  6th day of my taper and I am holding steady at 5mg.  Happy that I was able to taper off 1 mg of Xanax in just over a week.  So that is a plus!  Anxiety is no fun with it ups and downs but I am so looking forward to being benzo free and dealing with anxiety through meditation and natural remedies.  Hope you have a wonderful blessed day!

Sounds like you are managing well. I'm glad to hear it. And yes, thank God you were able to come down by 1mg with no issues!  Excellent!  Sorry to hear about the other Sx you are having, but I'm sending you thoughts of healing and I hope that will be your reality soon.  God bless you and I have to believe there is a higher power looking out for all of us in this painful journey through the wilderness.  Talk to you soon!