• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ch...]

• [fi...]

• [GH...]

• [we...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jane,

It really doesn't matter how long it takes for the drug to wash out of your system.  What really counts is how long it takes your GABA receptors to up-regulate.  No one can tell you how long that takes since it is different for every individual.  The down-regulation of GABA is what causes all of our horrible CNS and emotional symptoms.

Newrain

[18...]
thanks for that info :) i just got back from the ER gonna be out like a zombie the next 2 weeks. I had a crazy "experience" happen to me this early morning. I am in withdrawal full effect  :o glad i am ok, for now....

[18...]

Just got back from ER, not a good experience. Im running on E right now barely any sleep the last 2 days in full blown WD. Glad its leaving my body though...on respidol but scared to take it yet...saw a benzo-wise psyc. great lady...understood why I want off.

What a night...my head hurts so bad from all these lights i cant really look at the screen to be honest...

Dear Jane,

I'm sorry you're being hit. Withdrawal is not easy. I hope the people at the ER had enough sense to realize that you were in acute withdrawal. My thoughts are with you.

Thanks for the update.

I feel bad for you, hope you were treated well by everyone at the ER, I know they sometimes don't treat people very nice. I will be sending positive thoughts of healing your way!  ;)

[8d...]

Hey janedoe0202,

I'm so sorry you're ill.  I know you're scared, I know you're in pain.  You are not going to die.  You are going to make it through. 

[8d...]

thanks for that info :) i just got back from the ER gonna be out like a zombie the next 2 weeks. I had a crazy "experience" happen to me this early morning. I am in withdrawal full effect  :o glad i am ok, for now....

How are you feeling?  What happened this morning?

[18...]

no they are remodeling which gives me a few weeks to get better... thanks for all the support!

i think my head hurts from crying for hours on end...i feel detached from my body...idk how to explain it, its like im paralized and its so depressing.

[18...]
idk its hard to remember....i woke up and my legs were shaking and i started seeing stuff and losing balance. cold sweats hyperventalting shaking...the works >:(:( :'(

[8d...]

Ok.  It's going to be alright.  Here's some info from Wikipedia on derealization:

Derealization (sometimes abbreviated as DR) is an alteration in the perception or experience of the external world so that it seems unreal. Other symptoms include feeling as though one's environment is lacking in spontaneity, emotional coloring and depth.[1] It is a dissociative symptom of many conditions, such as psychiatric and neurological disorders, and not a standalone disorder. It is also a transient side effect of acute drug intoxication, sleep deprivation, and stress.[citation needed]

Derealization is a subjective experience of unreality of the outside world, while depersonalization is unreality in one's sense of self. Although most authors currently regard derealization (surroundings) and depersonalization (self) as independent constructs, many do not want to separate derealization from depersonalization.[2] The main reason for this is nosological, because these symptoms often co-occur, but there is another, more philosophical reason: the idea that the phenomenological experience of self, others, and world is one continuous whole. Thus, feelings of unreality may blend in and the person may puzzle over deciding whether it is the self or the world that feels unreal to them.

Chronic derealization may be caused by occipital–temporal dysfunction.[3] These symptoms are common in the population, with a lifetime prevalence of up to 5% and 31–66% at the time of a traumatic event.[4]

Contents

The detachment of realization can be described as an immaterial substance that separates a person from the outside world, such as a sensory fog, pane of glass, or veil. Individuals may complain that what they see lacks vividness and emotional coloring. Emotional response to visual recognition of loved ones may be significantly reduced. Feelings of déjà vu or jamais vu are common. Familiar places may look alien, bizarre, and surreal. The world as perceived by the individual may feel like it is going through a dolly zoom effect. Such perceptual abnormalities may also extend to the senses of hearing, taste, and smell. Because degree of familiarity is itself among one's sensory and psychological data when experiencing a place, the process of derealization, by blocking identification with one's surroundings, itself contributes to the difference between one's perception of one's surroundings under derealization and what one's perception would be in the absence of derealization. For this reason, the more familiar a place normally seems, the more unfamiliar it seems when a person is experiencing derealization.

Frequently, derealization occurs in the context of constant worrying or 'intrusive thoughts' that one finds hard to switch off. In such cases it can build unnoticed along with the underlying anxiety attached to these disturbing thoughts, and be recognized only in the aftermath of a realization of crisis, often a panic attack, subsequently seeming difficult or impossible to ignore. This type of anxiety can be crippling to the affected and may lead to avoidant behavior. Those who experience this phenomenon may feel concern over the cause of their derealization. It is often difficult to accept that such a disturbing symptom is simply a result of anxiety, and the individual may often think that the cause must be something more serious. This can, in turn, cause more anxiety and worsen the derealization. Derealization also affects the learning process. Because the individual sees the events in 3rd person, they cannot properly process information.

People suffering from derealization have described feeling as if the world external to them were something in a TV show or movie, or as if they were viewing it through a TV screen. This, and other similar feelings attendant to derealization, can cause a sensation of alienation and distance between the person suffering from derealization and others around them.

Derealization can accompany the neurological conditions of epilepsy (particularly temporal lobe epilepsy), migraine, and mild head injury.[5] There is a similarity between visual hypo-emotionality, a reduced emotional response to viewed objects, and derealization. This suggests a disruption of the process by which perception becomes emotionally coloured. This qualitative change in the experiencing of perception may lead to reports of anything viewed being unreal or detached.[3]

Derealization can also manifest as an indirect result of certain vestibular disorders such as labyrinthitis and vestibular neuronitis. This is thought to result from the experience of anxiety precipitated by the functional disparity that arises between the ability to reconcile external stimuli relative to motion and equilibrioception that are compromised by vestibular dysfunction with the internal perceptions and expectations regarding the physical environment. An alternative explanation holds that a possible effect of vestibular dysfunction includes responses in the form of the modulation of noradrenergic and serotonergic activity due to a misattribution of vestibular symptoms to the presence of imminent physical danger resulting in the experience of anxiety or panic, which subsequently generate feelings of derealization.[6]

Cannabis,[7] psychedelics, dissociatives, antidepressants, caffeine, nitrous oxide, and nicotine can all produce feelings resembling derealization, particularly when taken in excess. It can also result from alcohol withdrawal or benzodiazepine withdrawal.[8]

I'm so sorry you are suffering.

How are you now?

What happened at the hospital?

It's good that you are keeping posting

Dear Jane

phenobarbital is meant to keep you from going into seizure.  Other than that just plain awful withdrawal. What you're feeling is derealization, where it is the sensation that you are not connected with your environment.  It's an awful feeling, and it will eventually go away. Marthakicks has sent you some good information.

When you say you feel paralyzed, I had that too.  It's like your body won't react to your brain.  It makes the most simple task an endurance test.  I remember taking a long time just to put my shoes on, as if it was the most difficult thing I ever had to do.

Jane, you are entering a state of acute withdrawal.  If you want to go through withdrawal it is your choice.  You are still in the window for reinstating, but your brain is now going into shock. If you decide to go through the acute withdrawal this way, hang on to your hat because it's going to be a bumpy ride.  i f you do not reinstate within a couple of weeks, reinstating later may not bring you the relief you are seeking. 

You are not dying, it is acute withdrawal. If you're concerned about a medical condition, don't hesitate to go back to the ER, otherwise just keep yourself safe.  If at all possible, eat small regular meals, or if that is too complicated, regular snacks such as nuts, fruits, milk and juices, whatever you're comfortable with. Keep yourself hydrated. Keeping yourself in a low stress environment is helpful. 

Just get through the day, and let tomorrow take care of itself.  My thoughts are with you.

Hi Jane,

I put all your threads from the Cold Turkey board in this new thread for you.

You can keep better track of your replies this way.

Challis :smitten:

[18...]

oh crap. and i barely slept at all...i feel a little better from the r medicine im on...sorry memory sucks....thanks everyone for the help!  :)

im glad i can still post a little bit...

[18...]

oh thanks challis lol i was wondering why such a long thread.

i think the fact i am able to post is a good thing. :)