Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

[7f...]

Nobody can predict what dose will be required for you to stabilize.  It's a trial and error thing.  Probably best to make small adjustments, then wait 2-3 days to see how it works.  The lower the dose you can tolerate, the less tapering you'll have to do later on.

Stable does not mean that you feel good.  It just means that you feel good 'enough' to move forward with your taper.

Splitting doses (from 2 to 3) is pretty simple.  Two doses a day is fine for a lot of folks (klonopin has a reasonably long half-life), but if you want to move to three that can be done.  If you feel pretty decent 90% of the day, but start to feel lousy 1-2 hours before your next scheduled dose, then moving from 2 to 3 might help.  If you feel kind of lousy all day, splitting doses won't help at all.

Thank you Badsocref.

I am actually taking a bigger dose around 7pm and a smaller one at 11am. Usually, I’m starting to feel more and more agitated and anxious 2 hours before taking the next dose. It is worst between the am and pm dose.

But for now, I feel pretty bad all day long, but it is hard to say if it’s because I am in withdrawal (because my dose is to low) or because my CNS is so messed up because of all the changes I have done in the past 3 weeks.

And I forgot to say, I think I am starting to have some paradoxical reaction when I take the Ativan. About 1-2 hours after each dose, I have a increase of agitation, like a mild akathisia.

This is why I feel bad almost all day long.

And I want to know, what do you think is the best option for me, because at those tiny amounts, dry cutting precisely is very hard. Is it better to get from a compound pharmacy or doing a liquid ourself?

Thank you.

[7f...]

Dry cutting does get hard when the doses are really small.  Some people will add a gram of inert material (corn starch or microcrystalline cellulose) to their pill.  That increases the effective weight of the pill by a gram which makes weighing out small doses a lot easier.  You just have to crush up your pill really well and mix it really really thoroughly with the starch/cellulose.  It takes a little time and care to properly grind/mix, but then you have a mixture you can use for several days.

[7f...]

Badsocref, do you have a link or a procedure that explain it in more details?

Thank you.

No, I'm afraid that I don't.  But it's just a logical/math thing.  If a 1 mg pill weighs 0.200 grams and you need to weigh out a 0.050 mg dose, then the weight you'd need to weigh out is a measly 10 mg of pill pieces/powder.  You can do that, but the error would be something like +/- 3 mg (up to 30%).  If you add 1.0 grams of 'inert' material to that pill the pill now effectively weighs 1.200 grams and a 0.050 mg dose would be 60 mg which is way easier to weigh out.  And the +/- error shrinks down to 5%.

Again, the pill needs to be crushed well and mixed very well into the inert material.

Marie79:

Another resource for your consideration:

Diluting Powder When Using a Digital Scale | The Withdrawal Project

https://withdrawal.theinnercompass.org/taper/diluting-powder-when-using-digital-scale

If you decide to use this approach, be sure to heed badsocref’s advice about grinding the tablets into very fine, uniform-sized particles and obtaining a homogeneous mixture when combining powdered ingredients.  Here are two videos that demonstrate techniques used by compounding pharmacists to achieve these goals:

Compounding Tips: Trituration

Compounding Tips: Geometric Dilution

Thank you everyone for your tips and help.

I have few questions.

1. I know I should split my dose in 3-4 doses a day (I am at 2 for now). When I will be ready to do it, is there a way to do it without disturbing my CNS?

2. And once it is done, how much time I have to give  to see if it works well?

Thank you again.

Mimi79

And another question for those who are tapering, at wich dose you don't feel anymore the effects of the drug? Since I am taking Ativan everyday (since only 3 weeks), I feel overly drugged. I can't wait to be at a dose where I wont feel like this anymore.

[7f...]

Thank you everyone for your tips and help.

I have few questions.

1. I know I should split my dose in 3-4 doses a day (I am at 2 for now). When I will be ready to do it, is there a way to do it without disturbing my CNS?

2. And once it is done, how much time I have to give  to see if it works well?

Thank you again.

Mimi79

There are ways to make the transition from 2 to 3 (or 2 to 4) pretty easy.  To be honest, Ativan has such a short half-life that the 'tweak' really isn't very necessary.  But when you are ready, I'll run the numbers and let you know your options.  If all works well, you shouldn't notice much change.

Anyone else in the US on the brand name? It is Bausch (used to be Valeant). They switched their manufacturing from Germany to Canada. I had been holding at a steady dose but have been going through withdrawal since the switch. Mine are 0.5 mg tablets. I'm not sure if most people would know if theirs switched or not. I only happen to know because my pharmacist dispenses them in the original bottle and now they come in a box instead (with a bottle inside), so I can see the place of manufacture changed. I actually felt better at first --more energy and felt clearer. But since then have bad cardiac withdrawal symptoms and a massive increase in OCD.

Is normal that I feel so depressed today? I have never experienced those kind of feelings. It is very scary. Can I expect it will pass when I’ll stabilize?

[7f...]
Depression, anxiety, anger are all pretty common emotions during withdrawal.  Your resiliency may be be tested at times.

Hi everyone.

Today I am very depressed and sad. I think I will have to updose a bit to stabilize. I try at 0,30mg. For me, it is a failure. I am so disappointed. It will be long and hard. It could have been avoided.

I have the feeling it won’t be able to do it. I am so sensitive.

Please, give me some words of encouragement.

Thanks.

Please don't feel like a failure, each of us have our limit and if you've reached yours then it's good to make a decision, that in itself will be a relief.  Getting free of these drugs is a long process which can't be rushed no matter how much we want to so maybe updosing and getting stable will give you the relief you need to plan your taper and do it right for you this time. 

As long as you have enough pills then you should be the one to decide how you taper, it's your body and your life.  You're going to be okay, acceptance is very important.

Thank you Pamster.

I really don’t know if updosing to 0,3mg is the good move, but I don’t know what to do.

I am struggling to stabilize and maybe it will help. I just want to feel a bit normal.

I feel awful, drugged and don’t see any end to this.

Sorry. I am still in shock of this bad mistake I’ve made.

Maybe it isn’t possible to give me an answer on this, but if I am able to stabilize on this dose of Ativan, do this awful feeling of being drugged will abate a bit? I am only on it since 4 weeks and I always feel in a fog.

Hello Marie,

Please do not feel like you have failed.  It is difficult to make these decisions, especial when we are feeling WD SX.  Many have updosed to stabilize. There are no guarantees in all of this and we are all so different.  This is a long process and accepting that is a very hard step in this but so important. I agree with Pam that if updosing gets you stable and you hold there it gives you a chance to gain some strength and plan a nice slow taper. 

My first reaction was similar to yours.  I felt panicked, depressed and scared to death.  I was convinced my life was over and wished for a time machine to take me back before I took the benzo.  You will be ok and all this will pass.  This is your taper. Deciding  to updose or not is your choice.  I would suggest either way you go you hold for a while.  Time can do a lot for us in this process. Patience is as important as the acceptance.

There were many times throughout my taper I felt that drugged woozy feeling.  It is commonly called cog fog.  As I have stabilized in my taper I do not have this feeling much at all. If I do it is rare and brief. But as I said the symptoms we get and stay with us is different for all of us.  The lower I go the stronger and better I feel.

Hugs  JuJuBi

Thank you so much Jujubi.

I like the « time machine » example, as it is exactly what I was saying to myself. I know this decision of taking Ativan prn will be surely one of my worst mistake of my life.

I know I have to accept it, but it is not easy. It has been only 4 weeks since it happened, so I am still in shock, almost a post-trauma.

I fear the taper a lot for some reasons, one is that I have a very sensitive CNS because I was in the middle of a mirtazapine taper. This one is on hold now!

And I have a past history of adverse reaction with Benzo. I just hope it won’t happen at this low dose (0,3mg).

Thank you for your encouragement.

Hi everyone.

How can I feel some hope? I am full of fear. Fear that I’ll never be able to stabilize, fear that I will have full of symptoms and that I won’t be able to cope and keep my job. Fear of the uncertainty. And above all, I fear that my CNS will react badly to the drug and throw me in acute adverse reaction, as it did in the past. I have this awful feeling that my life as I knew it, is over.

I feel awful these days. More and more awful. My body don’t like this drug. I feel drugged and on an eternal hang over. Please, tell me when I’ll stabilize I will feel a bit better!

I would like to be positive, but it is so hard!

What a big mistake I’ve made...

[7f...]

People can (and do) try to offer pep talks.  These might give a little temporary hope.  Ultimately, hope (and fear) comes from within.  The more time you choose to spend in the hope realm, the more that become second nature to you.  Same for time spent in the fear realm.  Choose well. 

I suggest that you read success stories.  Avoid horror stories and those who tend to pen them.  Avoid drama in your life.  I didn't watch or read network news or watch TV/movie dramas for many months (I couldn't even watch my favorite football team on TV - too dramatic).  Seek peace/calm.  No competitions.  No confrontations.  No comparisons.  No blame.  No regrets.  Instead, learn to be compassionate to yourself.  Forgive.  Accept. 

I worked with a therapist during my withdrawal/recovery, and found it very useful.  She gave me perspective and showed me some coping tools.

Maria

I use a compound liquid from a pharmacy at a ratio of 1ml = .1mg.  I reduce extremely slowly like 2-6% a month depending on how I feel and what is going on in my life.  I am able to still work and participate in life.  My early taper was way too fast and horrible.

Benzo Fear is a liar.  badsocref gives great advice.  I watch very little tv-I stick with cooking shows, interior design, anything benign and low key.  I can not even watch my loved hockey for the same reason badsocref could not watch football.  Stay away from social media and horror stories, drama of all kind if you can avoid it.  Find a craft if you can manage it.  I crochet. the counting and routine of the stiches is very calming to me.  keeps my mind and hands busy. I donate some of what I make to charity so it helps me in that way too. Make sure you are up and moving even if it is jus a walk to the mail box.

You did nothing wrong to get here.  But the fact is you are here. It took me a long time but I let go of any time frame or expectations of when this will end. One day, one minute and sometimes one second at a time.  Get through today.  Once I accepted this things improved. I also see a therapist and it is a great help. 

You will be ok Marie.

JuJuBi

Thank you everyone.

I think if I could feel good and be functional, it could helps. I am taking this poison since only the last 4 weeks and I am struggling to find the good dosing, so I am bouncing around, trying different doses at different times. I know it is just causing more troubles, but I am not able to find something that fits.

If I could just feel better a bit. I am worse and worse as days pass. Today, I am barely able to go to grocery store, last week I was able to without no issues.

I am afraid of how I will be in a week.

Do you think this tiredness/exhaustion is caused by Ativan itself or my weak CNS?