Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Harmonica ,

Just checking in on the post,,,,, I have not been her for months. You are doing great that was the hardest part for me.

I am good now its not easy its actually the hardest thing I ever did in my life..

Sleep is still really hard for me still, better but hard.

Hold as long as you need to but then move on .

Best Lisa

Hai and Tech,

Good to hear from both of you.

Hai, glad you got a few nights of better sleep. I slept better last night and even had a really good dream. I rarely ever dream, so I take this as a good sign.

Tech, so glad you are good now. It is so encouraging this from someone post jump. I’m almost there myself.

~ Bibs Jo

Hai and Tech,

Good to hear from both of you.

Hai, glad you got a few nights of better sleep. I slept better last night and even had a really good dream. I rarely ever dream, so I take this as a good sign.

Tech, so glad you are good now. It is so encouraging this from someone post jump. I’m almost there myself.

~ Bibs Jo

Glad you got a good nights sleep.  Those are precious!

Wow you are so close. Great job.  It's very encouraging to those of us who have a little ways to go. Can't wait until I am that far along.I don't get much sleep but I do dream quite regularly. Guess that means I'm at least getting some REM sleep?

Hai

Hope you are doing a little better. I know you had some bad days. I read a couple of great success stories today.  I find particular ones to be so encouraging.  They help me realize I'm not crazy even though it has been a rough couple of weeks.

Everyone take care.  :smitten:

Hi all.  It is nice to see everyone making some progress.  My taper off ativan was completed early December.  I thought for sure I would be done with all this back then.  My body had different plans.  Terrible plans actually. 

Days 1 to 20 were so great with barely any symptoms.  I was so excited.  On day 21 I had a migraine, tooks some Maxalt and things went down hill fast.  I fell into severe anxiety and depression far worse than when I was tapering.  The anxiety was as much mental as it was physical.  During my whole taper the anxiety was really only physical.  I say only lol like it was a cakewalk - it wasn’t by a long shot.  This time a feeling of fear and great dread overwhelmed me.  7-8 hours a day I felt as though I was suffocating.  I could not sit down and relax for anything.  Every night I just passed out from exhaustion.  The depression was pretty severe with terrible thoughts.  Waves of severe anxiety then depression then anxiety again.  That lasted about 15 days and then it just lifted.  I’m enjoying a great window now and hope that it lasts for a while.

I dont know what is happening to me.  I thought a taper would help make this easier.  I’ve heard a lot of bad stories about people who CT and tried to avoid it by tapering.  I know I tapered fairly fast and maybe that is it. Or maybe it was the triptan.  I dont know.

Anyway, I write this just to help others who read it set internal expectations.  I was not mentally prepared for the huge wave after walking off.  Had I been prepared I dont think it would have been as bad.  I made my way though it.  It wasnt easy.  But I made it and next time I will be prepared.  This site, distraction, my therapist, and my family really made a huge contribution to my ability to get throught it.

I send all of you waves and waves of positive healing energy.  Please take care.

JBen,

That's so hard. To feel great at the end of your taper and then get hit with a severe wave. Maybe that was your "acute phase?" I hope so, because from what I understand after acute usually follows less severe waves and windows. Or possibly a reaction to the migraine medication? We never know. I am praying that the worst is over for you!

I am at 0.0275 and preparing myself to jump, but I hope and pray that it is more of a "walk kindly away." I have been tapering off for over 2 years (since 12/2018) and plan on taking this down to whatever is technically possible with my current liquid compound and 1ml syringe.

After a few nights of better sleep, last night was not so great for me. I got out of bed a bit discouraged and sat down for my quiet time. I did not want to do it. But as I sat and just listened to worship music I felt a wave of relief and healing wash over me. It lasted for over an hour and I felt strengthened and encouraged. This is what is sustaining me on this journey.

~ Bibs Jo

Jben,

You can see my in my signature how I tapered, it was pretty fast and not a gradual, I cut and hold...I wish I knew about micro taper but did not. I had 3 bad waves that lasted about 3 or 4 days when I was experiencing random muscle spasms all over my body, shaking, DP and DR, and anxiety. I honestly thought I might have to go into a mental health hospital but I pulled through. It's been a touch over 5 months now and I am feeling much better. Hang in there, it does get better. I found I had to grow through this, not just go through it. I hope you get to grow through it too. I have a stronger connection with my creator than before. Also, I had to find some new coping strategies like a few set prayers I've memorized. I also find regular walks and rest and relaxation to be key. I did learn how to be in pain but not suffer. I let the pain come and let it go and don't create a story around it, just experience it and follow my breathing. It helped tremendously. I hope this makes sense and helps you.

Hello, I here to join the Ativan support group for now.  Don’t know if my doc will be crossing me over to something else.  This will be my third taper.  I tapered off Xanax like in 2000.  Benzo free until like 2015 or something like that.  Totally guessing at the dates.  Took me a exactly a year to taper off .5mg clonazepam.  Benzo free until Dec 25, 2020.  Was diagnosed with Covid on Dec 15, 2020.  I was pretty sick - like a horrible flu for me with vomiting for days.  Anyways, to keep my family safe, I per doctors orders quarantined for 14 days in my bedroom.  At around day 5 I developed horrible anxiety.  I didn’t sleep for days.  I was stuck and could get no support from anyone.  I was almost in crisis.  I always carried Ativan in my pocket as my safety net.  Ended up taking some after I talked with crisis and was told that if I go to the Er I would probably be given a benzo to stabilize me.  After about 2 1/2 weeks, my doc said it’s time to get off.  I was taking .5mg in the morning and .5mg before bed.  I developed interdose withdrawal almost immediately which I knew was a bad sign.  My doc told me to cut out the evening dose.  I did it for 3 days and was in hell those three days.  Went to another doc who put me back up to .5mg 3 times a day.  I didn’t realize how potent Ativan is and how much longer this can add to a taper.  I was just so happy to be out of that hell I was in - although I still don’t feel good.  So, I’ve been on Ativan for just less than a month and am already dependent cause of my prior benzo history.  I’m scared big time this go around.  I’ve heard each time you taper, it could potentially get harder to taper.  Fingers crossed that doesn’t happen.  Do most of you Ativan users take it 3 or 4 times a day?  For those of you that have been on other benzos, how does tapering Ativan compare to the others?  I can’t believe that I haven’t been on Ativan not even a month and am going to have to do an 18th month taper or more to stop. 

Lunkhead I am so sorry for your struggles.  I was put on Ativan March 2020 for what my doc thought was anxiety from the Covid scare when in actuality it was from my new BP meds...anyway I became dependent and have been struggling for months to get off.  I tried to taper too fast!  Wish I had tried the 5-10% reduction that Benzobuddies recommends.  I started out at 1.5 mg I am now at .556 mg using liquid Ativan.  As soon as I feel stable I'm going to start the Daily Liquid Micro Taper.  A lot of people on here have had great success with this.  I dose 4xs/day. Wising you the best please go slow.  Hugs Dianedeedee

Please help...

I’m currently on Ativan 2mg 9am and 0.5mg 9pm. I convinced my Dr to try to convert me to a longer acting benzo. I initially started on 2.5mg in the morning and within a week of having no effect bumped up to 5mg. I feel more more anxious after taking it so my dr swapped the Valium to night to try and even out the dosages. I’m still getting no relief until I take my morning 2mg dose of Ativan and I only get a little relief. I’ve been on Valium since approx start of October. And Ativan since December 2019 - initially 2mg twice a day.  I wasn’t feeing great but I was kinda functioning... so I thought I’d taper the Ativan 1/4 at night, this was 5 weeks ago and I’m getting no relief. I cannot function. Unable to work, can hardly leave the house. Nauseous, unable to eat, restless, jerking and shaking at times, crying all the time. Move from bed to couch.  W/d list goes on and on.. now I don’t know if the Valium has aggravated my symptoms more... I’m not sure and no one else seems to know what to do next. Do I ride this out or start tapering the Valium. I’ve recently got Ativan pharamacy compounded in the hope that I would have been stable by now to taper switch to the compounded to 1.95mg am. I was so keen to start at a slower taper after enduring 1/4 tablet tapers over the past year which caused so many disabling w/d symptoms. My life stops every time I taper. I usually start to feel a little bit better and struggle through life after 3 weeks of reducing, but not this time...

There are so many useful links, resources and methods on here but my brain cannot navigate this site at the moment. Has anyone experienced such severe w/d after a 1/4 tablet taper for this long and what did they do about it? I can sit still long enough to do meditation or breathing exercises, they seem to make me worse. I try to do very small things for short period of time like garden or clean a little. Nothing helps. Like lots of you guys I’m suffering...any support/advice would be truly grateful.

Please help...

I’m currently on Ativan 2mg 9am and 0.5mg 9pm. I convinced my Dr to try to convert me to a longer acting benzo. I initially started on 2.5mg in the morning and within a week of having no effect bumped up to 5mg. I feel more more anxious after taking it so my dr swapped the Valium to night to try and even out the dosages. I’m still getting no relief until I take my morning 2mg dose of Ativan and I only get a little relief. I’ve been on Valium since approx start of October. And Ativan since December 2019 - initially 2mg twice a day.  I wasn’t feeing great but I was kinda functioning... so I thought I’d taper the Ativan 1/4 at night, this was 5 weeks ago and I’m getting no relief. I cannot function. Unable to work, can hardly leave the house. Nauseous, unable to eat, restless, jerking and shaking at times, crying all the time. Move from bed to couch.  W/d list goes on and on.. now I don’t know if the Valium has aggravated my symptoms more... I’m not sure and no one else seems to know what to do next. Do I ride this out or start tapering the Valium. I’ve recently got Ativan pharamacy compounded in the hope that I would have been stable by now to taper switch to the compounded to 1.95mg am. I was so keen to start at a slower taper after enduring 1/4 tablet tapers over the past year which caused so many disabling w/d symptoms. My life stops every time I taper. I usually start to feel a little bit better and struggle through life after 3 weeks of reducing, but not this time...

There are so many useful links, resources and methods on here but my brain cannot navigate this site at the moment. Has anyone experienced such severe w/d after a 1/4 tablet taper for this long and what did they do about it? I can sit still long enough to do meditation or breathing exercises, they seem to make me worse. I try to do very small things for short period of time like garden or clean a little. Nothing helps. Like lots of you guys I’m suffering...any support/advice would be truly grateful.

Hi there, I was the same while crossing from Xanax to Valium.  Once fully off  Xanax,  I  found little relief from the Valium in fact I felt my body was rejecting it and never really stabilised.  I tapered off in around 14 months it was hell.  Some of us just have a really hard time and have to do what ever possible to get off the drug and stay safe.  Im sorry your suffering is so bad.

I feel the same way when taking the Valium. I’m thinking of tapering off that first because I’ve been on it less amount of time than Ativan. In theory, substituting long acting for short make sense but the reality for me and you is different. I wonder if you did a very slow taper off the Xanax if your experience would have been different.

Thanks again for your reply, I hope you’re doing well.

I feel the same way when taking the Valium. I’m thinking of tapering off that first because I’ve been on it less amount of time than Ativan. In theory, substituting long acting for short make sense but the reality for me and you is different. I wonder if you did a very slow taper off the Xanax if your experience would have been different.

Thanks again for your reply, I hope you’re doing well.

I tried to slowly taper off Xanax many times unsuccessfully.  You see because of the short half life like Ativan, I would go into withdrawal in between doses.  It was like riding a roller coaster. 

Its just that your body is dependent on the Ativan and Valium in the same drug class but not quite the same. We become so sensitive.

Hi Aussie,

If you could update your signature, I think we could better understand your history and be able to help more. It sounds to me from your post like you are not keeping a steady amount of the meds in your bloodstream throughout the day. Given the short half life of Ativan, many here find we do better with equal dosing (three or four doses) throughout the day. This isn’t true for everyone, of course, but it usually helps with the interdose withdrawal issues you’re having. I think your partial cross over to Valium is confusing your process a bit as well. The longer half-life of Valium may cover some of the interdose, but it doesn’t sound like you’re stable here. Your CNS is begging for stability.

If you have your doc’s support, it may be wise to hold this taper and try stabilize a bit before dropping further. I would consider going back to all Ativan (and dividing into three or four doses) or crossing fully over to Valium, holding until you feel a bit better, and then tapering from there.

I’m so sorry for your struggles. Hang in there.

Beauty

I’m planning on micro tapering from 1.5mg.  My guess is it’s going to be an 18 month taper or longer.  What do you guys think?  Does that seem too slow?

I think you are stop on Beautyfromashes. I’m taking Ativan on my twice a day and as I hit the afternoon my symptoms get worse. The Valium gives me no relief. I see my Dr tomorrow so it’s a great suggestion that I will raise with him and hopefully we can work out how to stabalise me.  I will update my signature so I can provide a better Hx. Please stay in touch.

Very grateful for your words.

Dianedeedee,  did the buspar help?  Buspar made me dizzy and had head pressure.  Felt like it made my anxiety worse

I can't really tell much about the Buspar right now the doc wanted me to use it hoping it would help with the end when I finished my taper.  I have read where Buscar can increase anxiety.  The Zoloft that I am taking has helped with depression.

I don't think an 18 month taper would be too slow.

Hey Aussiegalrecovery dont know if this helps you are not.  I got liquid ativan and tapered successfully by splitting my daily dose 4x a day.  I tried 1x a day, 2x a day, 3x a day.  4x a day seemed to be the one.  It helped significantly with interdose withdrawals.  I felt like a new person on it and was able to taper fairly well from there.  I am 45 days off the ativan and still experiencing windows and waves.  Getting better tho.  It is a hard journey.

Please help...

Thanks for the info. I saw my dr this morning we are going to split my current dose from 2 times a day into 3 times a day to see if it helps. You’ve given me hope that there are options.

Did you taper by reducing all 4 doses at once each time or focus on one dose at a time?

[9b...]

Thanks for the info. I saw my dr this morning we are going to split my current dose from 2 times a day into 3 times a day to see if it helps. You’ve given me hope that there are options.

Did you taper by reducing all 4 doses at once each time or focus on one dose at a time?

You can reduce them all equally or target one or two doses - whichever works best for you.  If you (for example) need better coverage in the evening (e.g. for sleep), then you could possibly taper one of the other doses first.