Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Hi everyone. I need some help and encouragement.

It’s been 1 week that I am stable on the same dose of lorazepam (0,29mg) and it’s been two days this week that I am feeling very depressed. I’ve never feel so depressed in all my life.

Do you think it’s an effect from the drug or it’s my destabilized CNS that is causing that?

I have the feeling the more I am on this drug, the more I feel awful and depressed.

I am so afraid!!

Thank you!

Hope- good news on the sleep!  Let hope that keeps up.

Marie-chemical depression is very common. I actually have a bit of that myself in the last 2 days.  Crying for no good reason. Came out of nowhere.  It will pass Marie.  We will all get through this.

JuJuBi

[72...]

Hope - Again, good news with the sleep!!  :D

Sorry for the irritability, etcetera.  You could try another small increase??  Once you get the cross-over dose really dialed in, the other two switches should go very quickly.

Hope - Again, good news with the sleep!!  :D

Sorry for the irritability, etcetera.  You could try another small increase??  Once you get the cross-over dose really dialed in, the other two switches should go very quickly.

Hey Badsocref!

Follow up - I went ahead and switched my morning dose on 03/27. I did okay Saturday. Still the same symptoms as before but not worse. Slept great that night. Last night was a little rough. I slept plenty but kept waking up with anxiety/fear symptoms. And of course my nausea/digestive issues are here. I’m thinking that will calm down once I stabilize. Do you think the symptoms I’m having right now are from the updose or from withdrawal? It’s so hard to tell since they’re different symptoms than previous withdrawal.

Any suggestions based on these symptoms? My plan was to switch my 3rd dose tomorrow. Should I switch and keep it at .67ml or even it out at .75ml?

Or should I hold until I sleep through the night again without trouble?

Hope

I held for a week. If I could go back I would hold for at least 2 weeks and likely longer.

I have a schedule for each month.  I decide my next month percentage based on how I am feeling, what's going on in my life and go from there.

I reduce anywhere from 2-6% a month.  I find that is where I have few to no symptoms.

I was reducing once a week .003. but at these low doses those percentages creep up on you. March will be a reduction of 4.7%.  I reduce .003 every other Monday.  So April will be a reduction of 5.7%.  With the ratio of my liquid .1mg/ml and the syringe limitations the smallest reduction I can do is .001. 

Current doses  .1  .1  .1

on the 28th  I will drop .001 each dose  .097  .097  .097    Into the .2s!

I am never afraid to hold it I feel symptoms kick up.

JuJuBi

Thank you JuJu! You’re so helpful.

I see you’re doing well with that schedule. Are you pretty much symptom free? That’s awesome. CONGRATS!!! Getting into the .2s!! We are close to each other in doses.

[72...]
When you're ready, I'd do the final crossover at the higher level as that seems to be closer to the pill level.  Difficult to know if that dose is a little higher or a little lower than the equivalent pill dose, but you're close.  I'd probably get comfortable (ish) doing all three liquid doses for at least a few days before tapering.  Give yourself a chance to adjust.

When you're ready, I'd do the final crossover at the higher level as that seems to be closer to the pill level.  Difficult to know if that dose is a little higher or a little lower than the equivalent pill dose, but you're close.  I'd probably get comfortable (ish) doing all three liquid doses for at least a few days before tapering.  Give yourself a chance to adjust.

Thank you so much! I’ll keep you posted. I’ll definitely try to hold for a bit once I’m on all 3 liquid doses and try to get some stability. Preferably the nausea/irritability lessened.

I’ll see how I sleep tonight and determine if I do the 3rd transition tomorrow.

Ugh, don’t understand why switching over to liquid is so difficult for me.

[72...]

I wouldn't say that you're doing any worse with this switch than most folks.  Actually, I think you're doing pretty well.  It's tough to switch methods mid-taper, and I suspect it's dose equivalent issues more than anything else.  You've taken the time to not shock your system by doing one switch at a time, and you've taken time to tweak (at least to some extent) the dose conversions.

While the anxiety/edginess is up a bit, it sounds like you're still on top of it.

I wouldn't say that you're doing any worse with this switch than most folks.  Actually, I think you're doing pretty well.  It's tough to switch methods mid-taper, and I suspect it's dose equivalent issues more than anything else.  You've taken the time to not shock your system by doing one switch at a time, and you've taken time to tweak (at least to some extent) the dose conversions.

While the anxiety/edginess is up a bit, it sounds like you're still on top of it.

Oh that’s so good to know that this is somewhat normal.

It’s so easy to think is it the updose? is it the compound failing me? when at the end of the day, you’re right. It’s probably just the dose equivalent issues and my brain trying to stabilize on the new form of medication.

For people who had some issues transitioning, do they normally get back to that “stable” place once they transition over and hold for a bit?

The physical anxiety and nausea is a little more spiked today than yesterday so hating the thought it could be like this for a while.

Thank God for y’all or I would be so confused on what is happening!

Also posted this on the titration board but thought since it involves ativan maybe someone on here could help.  I am so confused...my ativan dose per day is .573mg I am using liquid ativan 2mg/ml taking out 1ml and mixing enough water to make 300ml total for 3 days worth so I dose 86ml/day.  My doc wrote the script taking out .5ml mixing with 300 ml water and dosing 92ml/day!!!  I'm I on the right track with my way?

I see you’re doing well with that schedule. Are you pretty much symptom free? That’s awesome. CONGRATS!!! Getting into the .2s!! We are close to each other in doses.

My symptoms have taken an uptick in the last few days.  That is all part of this process. No guarantees no matter how slow you go.  I can tell you for me even with the uptick the symptoms are better than first of my taper when I was going fast. I am functional and still able to do some things. 

JuJuBi

My symptoms have taken an uptick in the last few days.  That is all part of this process. No guarantees no matter how slow you go.  I can tell you for me even with the uptick the symptoms are better than first of my taper when I was going fast. I am functional and still able to do some things. 

JuJuBi

I am sorry for the uptick in symptoms. I will pray that passes quickly as I’m sure they will. Do not let that discourage you, look how far you have come.

I am currently struggling with the transition to liquid compound - not acute but not stable so praying for stability soon.

I’m supposed to transition my 3rd and final dose tomorrow but having trouble sleeping tonight. I can’t tell why because I was doing okay with sleep with the other transitions. Which is crazy because after my morning and afternoon dose (both liquid), I’m so fatigued and sleepy.

Who knows! I think I will be sort of up and down until I stabilize fully on the compound.

Do you find you feel “better” the lower you get? As if you’re healing as you go down?

Hope

This process is certainly not linear.  Stability is relative.  I sometimes call it my base line. It has been different at different stages in my journey. 

To answer your question I have felt stronger the lower I have gotten. Certainly changes.  I do think we heal on the way down. My reason for going slow is for the purpose of being as functional as I can. 

JuJuBi,

Are you functional/working.  Ativan is really messing with me.  Waiting for my doc appt to switch to clonazepam.  I’m barely functional now and I’m not even cutting.  Get fits of restlessness / agitation on Ativan.  It’s scaring me.

Lunkhead

I so relate with you. I feel crappy since the first day I took this drug. I am not able to stabilize. I think Ativan is causing me depression, so I would like to taper ASAP. But as soon As I try to taper, I am in more depression.

I feel trapped and don’t know what to do...

This is a living nightmare. My hope is to stabilize a bit and be able to do a DMT.

Fortunately, I am starting at a not to big dose.

We have to be brave...

Marie

JuJuBi,

Are you functional/working.  Ativan is really messing with me.  Waiting for my doc appt to switch to clonazepam.  I’m barely functional now and I’m not even cutting.  Get fits of restlessness / agitation on Ativan.  It’s scaring me.

Lunkhead

Yes those big cuts were very tough. Thinking back I am not even sure how I kept working.  But I somehow did.  I am pretty functional now going slower. I still have rough days that I push through.  Today is one of those. 

I understand being scared.  This is a very scary process but we will get through. One day at a time and sometimes one minute at a time.

JuJuBi

JuJuBi,

Any issues with sleep?

I have been very blessed with sleep in all this. Early on my sleep was broken but I usually got 4-5.  Now I am getting 5-7. I  sometimes wake and can usually go right back to sleep. More I am sleeping through the night.  I've had a few good nights where I slept through the alarm. I get hot flashes that would wake me.  I think now I am "used" to them.

Hi everyone,

I need some insight. So I am holding at the same dose, same time each day since 3 weeks. For the moment, I don’t stabilize. One day I feel just « ok » (very far from normal or good), the other day I am in great depressed state, totally unable to live my life.

Those depressed day are more and more frequent. They started 3 weeks ago, I was having maybe 1 or 2 days like this the first week, now it is every other day.

What am I doing wrong? Do a long hold will help? And do you think that if I split my dose in three it will help with this awful depression? I am barely able to cope with it.

I don’t want to be forced to do something crazy, like a C/T, but now I really don’t know what to do.

I am so desperate...

Thank you.

Hi everyone,

I need some insight. So I am holding at the same dose, same time each day since 3 weeks. For the moment, I don’t stabilize. One day I feel just « ok » (very far from normal or good), the other day I am in great depressed state, totally unable to live my life.

Those depressed day are more and more frequent. They started 3 weeks ago, I was having maybe 1 or 2 days like this the first week, now it is every other day.

What am I doing wrong? Do a long hold will help? And do you think that if I split my dose in three it will help with this awful depression? I am barely able to cope with it.

I don’t want to be forced to do something crazy, like a C/T, but now I really don’t know what to do.

I am so desperate...

Thank you.

It looks like your first cut you only held it for 6 days, did you feel stable when you reduced again?  Are you dosing 2 times a day now?  Do you feel interdose withdrawal?

That depression sounds bad, we need to help you figure this out.

Thank you for your help.

I am dosing the Ativan 2 times, 8:00 am=0,14mg  8:00pm 0,14mg.

It’s true that I taper to 0,28mg 8 days ago. I wasn’t stabilized, but I have the feeling the drug is causing my depression, so tried to taper it a bit. Maybe it wasn’t the best idea.

This depression symptom  is totally new for me, it started 3 weeks ago. It is a total chemical depression, so I don’t know how to cope with it. It doesn’t respond to the usual approach.

It is very strange how I alternate between « ok » days (without depression) and very bad days full of depression. This depression happens like a wave around noon and fade in the evening.

[72...]

A lot of people get some kind of negative emotion during withdrawal.  Anxiety and depression are probably the main two. 

I get that you're not used to this chemical depression which is why I asked if you were getting any help (therapy) to help you learn coping techniques.  These coping approaches come in a few 'flavors'.  Some people meditate or practice breathing exercises.  Some people learn to distract.  Some just find ways to stay busy all day long so they don't have as much free time to feel depressed or anxious.

Hi everyone,

I am planning to switch to liquiq compound lorazepam. I will be able to have a 0.1mg/ml liquid, but I want the smallest and more precise syringe that exist. Is it possible to have 0.5cc syringe? Does it exist?

Thank you!