Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

JBen, when you went from 1 times a day to two times a day to three times a day to four times a day... did you keep the overall total the same each day or were you up dosing each time.  I’m struggling with 3 times a day.  I think I need to go to 4.  Was there an adjustment every time you changed your dosing schedule?

Do you know how to go about finding a good doctor who will work with tapering slowly?

Try Benzodiazepine Information Coalition.  I think they have a list.  I found two in my area but never needed to use them.

Hi Aussie,

If you could update your signature, I think we could better understand your history and be able to help more. It sounds to me from your post like you are not keeping a steady amount of the meds in your bloodstream throughout the day. Given the short half life of Ativan, many here find we do better with equal dosing (three or four doses) throughout the day. This isn’t true for everyone, of course, but it usually helps with the interdose withdrawal issues you’re having. I think your partial cross over to Valium is confusing your process a bit as well. The longer half-life of Valium may cover some of the interdose, but it doesn’t sound like you’re stable here. Your CNS is begging for stability.

If you have your doc’s support, it may be wise to hold this taper and try stabilize a bit before dropping further. I would consider going back to all Ativan (and dividing into three or four doses) or crossing fully over to Valium, holding until you feel a bit better, and then tapering from there.

I’m so sorry for your struggles. Hang in there.

Beauty

Aussie, I agree with everything Beauty said 100%

~ Bibs jo

JBen, when you went from 1 times a day to two times a day to three times a day to four times a day... did you keep the overall total the same each day or were you up dosing each time.  I’m struggling with 3 times a day.  I think I need to go to 4.  Was there an adjustment every time you changed your dosing schedule?

I stayed at the same daily dose and just split it 4x a day on liquid ativan.  The liquid formula made it very easy to split such small amounts and taper.    I never updosed even tho it was really difficult.  Only down.  And down even with symptoms.  The whole taper was difficult and I am regretting going so fast.  At 50 days out I am in a bad wave.  So far about 20ish good days and the rest bad.  Symptoms are mostly extreme anxiety, suffocation feeling, depression and pacing around.  The waves now are worse than when I was tapering.  Uggh.  ‘This is healing,’ I keep telling myself.  ‘It is temporary.’  The only thing that helps me is walking everyday, working (nonstressful only), keeping my hands busy, reading this site, therapy, talking about it,  meeting with people on zoom, distraction, distraction, distraction.

I stayed at the same daily dose and just split it 4x a day on liquid ativan.  The liquid formula made it very easy to split such small amounts and taper.    I never updosed even tho it was really difficult.  Only down.  And down even with symptoms.  The whole taper was difficult and I am regretting going so fast.  At 50 days out I am in a bad wave.  So far about 20ish good days and the rest bad.  Symptoms are mostly extreme anxiety, suffocation feeling, depression and pacing around.  The waves now are worse than when I was tapering.  Uggh.  ‘This is healing,’ I keep telling myself.  ‘It is temporary.’  The only thing that helps me is walking everyday, working (nonstressful only), keeping my hands busy, reading this site, therapy, talking about it,  meeting with people on zoom, distraction, distraction, distraction.

I hear you JBen021,

I did pretty fair the first three weeks.  I think acute started on day 25.  No windows.  Last week got worse with itching and sensory neuropathy all over.  Yesterday, finally, I had a reasonably good day, not sx free but a reprieve of sorts.  Today is not as good but like you say distraction helps.  One foot in front of the other and we will be closer to being fully healed.  I hope your bad wave is short lived.  Ginger

Well, I'm finally back to the tapering off Ativan thread!!

I've been stuck hard ever since my colonoscopy in late Oct where they gave me Versed - never get that!

I was immediately sent into acute wd, as they must have given me more than my usual benzo amount.

It's been a horrendous 3 months, and I have much more wd symptoms that are very difficult to take - Akathisia, 24/7 headaches, back aches, sore neck/shoulders.

Well, I finally got up the courage to transition over to liquid ativan from the sublingual ones I've been using (they go directly into my bloodstream).

So the liquid will now be going through my stomach, which is like a big reduction for me, but I know it's the only way off.

After 3 weeks of hell, thought I was literally dying, I've never felt that much pain in my life (and I had a baby at home by accident).

I thought I would have to updose and take more like my dr wanted, but I stuck it out and it seems as if I'm transitioning to the liquid finally.

I had a great day today. I'll stay here until next Wednesday, when I'll make my first 10% cut.

I have a long way to go, most likely a year!

But if anything I've experienced is what is to come, I guess I'll know I can make it.

I was even able to do some work today, even though I'm on sick leave - always good to try and do some for extra points and that my job will be there when I return etc.

How is everyone else doing?

JBen, so sorry you've been feeling lousy! You can do it! I literally did nothing for 3 months, barely left the bed!

Ginger, so happy that you jumped, wow, congrats.

WinnieDog

Hi Everyone,

It seems like many of us are in hard waves right now. I am seriously praying for each of us here on this thread.

I am "just ok" right now. I am so close to the end of my taper - I should be done by mid February. I've said this before, but this time I think it is the real deal. I am down to the liquid equivalent of 0.02 mg. I plan on continuing to micro taper down to 0.01 ever so slowly and then walk.

I am still dealing with insomnia, although I am definitely sleeping more hours than I did in the past. Unfortunately my tinnitus has gotten worse. For the last few nights I wake up at 2 Am with my ears ringing - lovely. I am hopeful that tinnitus will be a temporary symptom. I also still have a lot of muscle soreness. I've found it hard to concentrate at work this week due to lack of sleep and wd symptoms.

I think the long winter nights with the covid lockdowns are not helping. If I could go spend time with people that would help - so this is hard. I agree with JBen, distraction is so important. I spend way too much time "doom scrolling" on my phone out of boredom. It does not help my body to fill my mind with all the fear the media is presenting.

On a positive note, I randomly found some incredible simple exercises to improve my posture - in a Tony Robbins online seminar of all places. I found that standing tall with my shoulders back improves my outlook and confidence. But then the muscle soreness that goes along with it is not that great.

To healing and long windows!

~ Bibs jo

Bibsjo!!

Oh you are so close!!!

You can do this!

I have a ton of muscle stiffness and tightness - last week, I could hardly walk.

I was going to call my PT today and see if she can come to my house during our current lockdown.

I also am using the Dr Ho Tens unit on my back and shoulders and have found that using them all day, has helped and I know don't wake up with soreness in the middle of the night!

I also used these patches that have stinky stuff on them that soak in your skin and relieve muscle pain.

They worked amazing, however, I was allergic to them, so had to stop using them.

Epsom salt baths work wonders too.

best to all

Winnie

I take my evening dose of Ativan at 1130pm.  I normally take my morning dose at 7am to keep my daily spacing even to minimize interdose withdrawal.  Most mornings I get jolted awake around 530am and if I’m lucky I can fall asleep until 615ish.  But I have horrible interdose withdrawal.  Is there any way I can minimize this?

I also am using the Dr Ho Tens unit on my back and shoulders and have found that using them all day, has helped and I know don't wake up with soreness in the middle of the night!

I also used these patches that have stinky stuff on them that soak in your skin and relieve muscle pain.

They worked amazing, however, I was allergic to them, so had to stop using them.

Epsom salt baths work wonders too.

best to all

Winnie

Bibsjo and Winnie....I have horrible muscle pain and I also use a Tens unit and the pain patches.  Both have been a lifesaver.  Also topical things like BioFreeze.  An acupuncturist recommended Arnica gel, cream or oil.  It has anti inflammatory properties .  I’ve been using it on my legs and like many natural things it is subtle but I think it is calming the muscle pain down a bit.

I don’t have a bathtub, unfortunately, but warm showers help a lot along with PT exercises.

I’m still at the top end of my taper but I’m plugging along . Besides the muscle pain, the worst symptom for me is overwhelming depression!  It’s so weird.  It happens in a split second like someone throws a heavy blanket over me and all I can do is cry!  Does anyone have this? It’s really getting me down.

Happy you are so close bibsjo!

I take my evening dose of Ativan at 1130pm.  I normally take my morning dose at 7am to keep my daily spacing even to minimize interdose withdrawal.  Most mornings I get jolted awake around 530am and if I’m lucky I can fall asleep until 615ish.  But I have horrible interdose withdrawal.  Is there any way I can minimize this?

Lunkhead

Do you only dose twice a day?  I dose 4x a day with my largest dose at bedtime.

I also dose 4 times a day.  7am, 1215pm, 530pm, 11pm.  I've only been on Ativan for approximately 5 weeks.  The morning interdose withdrawal is the worst.  the last couple of days I've been feeling pretty crappy with little windows of feeling ok.  I haven't even started my taper yet.

Lunkhead mornings are the worst for me too.  I am so sorry you are suffering so.  I wish there was something that could be done to get us all over this easier.

Mornings are okay for me, I start to go downhill around dinner and evening - I'm in bed by 9 pm usually - or in the bath.

For example I woke up today and was like "Hello world, it's nice to be alive!"

I'm very excited, I finally started tapering today.

From 0.75 to 0.7429!

So far so good!

I'll be taking off 0.007 everyday for 14 days, which will land me at 0.6563.

Hopefully, I can make it.

I suffer terrible anxiety and akathisia around ovulation and my period, but I'll just have to know that is coming and get ready for it.

Along with that comes really deep depression, that makes me not want to even participate in life at all.

It's hard, but there is only one way off, down!

Please no one ever get Versed/midazolam at a colonoscopy, it's taken me over 3 months to be somewhat stable from that and in much worse shape!

Hope everyone else is doing ok.

WinnieDog

Thanks Diane

How are you making out?

I had the worst 3 weeks of my life!

Now that I know I can handle that, I can do anything!!

Have you made any headway in your taper!

Winnie

Bibsjo,

Just checking around if I know anyone. Were you on with me and Luey? It looks like you are coming down to crumbs. I walked out of the ocean on to the sand at Ativan 0.0125 mg. I tried to go to 0.006 mg but I could not see anything, so I guess I was done. I have gone from 1 mg of Xanax to 0.12 mg. I am about to see crumbs too. Almost done with 2 Benzos. I see some suffering here so hang in there. Prayers to all. Good night to all. Powerball.

Hello everyone

Lots of new faces. Welcome and nice to meet you.

Many are getting very close to the end of your taper. Good job! Keep moving forward.

I wish everyone well.  This is not an easy journey for sure.  I am back to a place of few to no symptoms.  I am going very slow. As slow as it takes to stay as functional as at all possible. I have to be able to work and do well at my job. I have no desire to go back to where I was in early taper.  It was anxiety hell.

I stopped looking at a time line a long time ago and it has served me well. Some months I have reduced as little at 2%. Right now I am trying for 3.75% in February. I will not hesitate to hold or back off as symptoms increase.  I have not come out on the boards often as I try to stay present and engaged in life, friends and family as much as I can. Put this process to the back burner.

I do respond to PMs so if you have questions I am happy to answer and help.

Powerball!!!! So good to hear from you.  Good job getting down on your xanax!  I hope you enjoyed your trip to Mexico.

Enjoy your week everyone.

Love and Hugs JuJuBi

Hello JuJuBi 

Glad you are doing well.  I have followed some of your older posts I am in the process of a DLMT hoping to do better on this.  Thanks for checking in.

Diane

Dianedeedee

The liquid was a life changer for me.  So was slowing way way down. You will adjust. Just listen to your body and don't be in too big of a hurry. I believe a calm CNS heals better.

I see from your signature that you also did a cross over from xanax.  That was a brutal move for me. Took me months to level out from all I went through in the beginning of my taper. My worst symptoms were horrible chemical anxiety, Akathisia and air hunger.  There is a laundry list from head/ear pressure, tinnitus, hair loss, nausea, no appetite, food fear, (fear of everything really), back chest pain, skin burning, chills, hot flashes, couch paralysis......... I call it whack-a-mole symptoms. Some go away, new ones pop up and old ones revisit.

I am currently fairly symptom free. Enjoying it as much as I can as there are no guarantees in this process.  I still have the burning sensation in my feet and legs and the occasional hot/cold flashes. My new symptom for the month of January seems to be chemical depression. I cry for absolutely no good reason. It has seemed to lessen as the days have gone on by. My husband thinks it is my emotions coming back online.  I'll take these few manageable symptoms. The best is my hair quit falling out and I can actually see the new growth of short hairs!

JuJuBi

I was thinking about asking my doc for the liquid Ativan intensol for my taper.  I called my pharmacist to ask him about diluting it just now.  He said I could dilute it, but after you remove what you need from solution (you can add it to water to dilute it and get your solution)you have to discard the unused balance.  This would mean that you would have to take the intensol with you in a cooler, and dilute right before your next dose if you are away from home over your next dose). It really only makes sense to use it if you are at home the whole time of your taper.  Is there a way to make it stable for the whole day (the solution of water and the intensol)

1st time on this board.  I was just given liquid Ativan  to replace pills last Monday.  I am having a very hard time adjusting to it.  I can't seem to stabilize, with mornings being brutal.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I keep hoping everyday I'll see daylight....but so far not so good.  Thanks  :smitten: