Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Almost 4 weeks ago, I moved to liquid Ativan.

It was hard for me, as I previously used the sublingual which went directly into my bloodstream, so going onto the liquid which goes through my stomach, was a cut in dose.

It was very difficult for me, I held there for 4 weeks and finally started to feel good, and I finally started to taper.

Good luck!

Winnie

At some point in the taper, your liquid Ativan is going to need diluted so you can get your small cut.  Can you mix up a solution of diluted Ativan and use it for your dosing for the day?  Or do you have to throw it out right after your first draw?

I use compounded liquid in a 0.1/1 ml solution.

They mix up the Lorazepam powder in water and propolyne glycol.

It has to be kept in the fridge.

If I have to go out at the time of my dose I take it in a cooler with cold packs.

Winnie

Is there anyone currently using the lorazepam intensol that comes in a liquid 2mg per ml?  Just wondering how you take it if you are not going to be home.  Do you take the whole prescription bottle with you to make your solution?

Hi Lunkhead I take the 2mg/ml intensol.  I pull 1 ml out and mix with 299 mil of water to make 300 ml and take my doses from that it lasts me about 3 days.  When I go out I put my dose in a container with an ice pack.  My pharmacist said 3 days of the intensol and water solution would be good.  I haven't had any problems.

Dianedeedee

The liquid was a life changer for me.  So was slowing way way down. You will adjust. Just listen to your body and don't be in too big of a hurry. I believe a calm CNS heals better.

I see from your signature that you also did a cross over from xanax.  That was a brutal move for me. Took me months to level out from all I went through in the beginning of my taper. My worst symptoms were horrible chemical anxiety, Akathisia and air hunger.  There is a laundry list from head/ear pressure, tinnitus, hair loss, nausea, no appetite, food fear, (fear of everything really), back chest pain, skin burning, chills, hot flashes, couch paralysis......... I call it whack-a-mole symptoms. Some go away, new ones pop up and old ones revisit.

I am currently fairly symptom free. Enjoying it as much as I can as there are no guarantees in this process.  I still have the burning sensation in my feet and legs and the occasional hot/cold flashes. My new symptom for the month of January seems to be chemical depression. I cry for absolutely no good reason. It has seemed to lessen as the days have gone on by. My husband thinks it is my emotions coming back online.  I'll take these few manageable symptoms. The best is my hair quit falling out and I can actually see the new growth of short hairs!

JuJuBi

JuJuBi...WOW you have sure had your share of symptoms bless your heart.  Yes the c/o from Xanax to lorazepam was horrible my doc just took me off Xanax and put me straight on lorazepam.  I didn't know any better hadn't found BB yet I had a terrible time plus I tapered too fast!  Boy we sure learn the hard way.  So glad it is going better for you now.

Thanks WinnieDog.. Still having a hard time stabilizing, but I guess I need to give it more time......I foolishly took a digestive tablet, and it set me back I think...I have read on here that certain digestive pills block the absorption of the benzo.  Ugh.....  :sick:

Hello everyone, I'm coming up to my 6 month point since I jumped from .25mg of Lorazepam. Symptoms are manageable, I was of course hoping to be symptom free at this point but I would say the symptoms are very manageable and no more than a nuisance. We do heal. It just takes time. I'm still having spascticity/tightness in my neck and some mild insomnia as well as some stomach pain and heart palpitations. Probably the worst is the heart palpitations, they are the most off-putting. I'm still taking about 10mg of doxylamine before bed about 50% of the nights. It helps with a decent night's sleep. I tend to wake up with anxiety after nightmares. On the positive side, I have dreams now. While taking Ativan I never remembered any dreams. I've read that benzos inhibit our ability to enter REM sleep. I've come a long way and there's more healing to come. Probably the worst thing I did was to start smoking again about 3 months after I jumped. My CNS did not, I repeat, DID NOT, like that at all and it threw me into some very bad waves but it's addiction and not so rational or easy for me to stop. I know the worst is behind me and from here it's all sweeping up the mess. I wish all you guys (and gals) more windows and small waves.

Hi everyone!

I’m down to .2mg/day from dry cutting. I started at .375mg. Short term user since September 2020.

I just tried switching to compound pharmacy - almond oil mixture. The almond oil mixture I had a bit of a reaction to and it looks like I need to go back to dry cutting.

I previously tried making my own solution with alcohol/water so I could DLMT but that did not go well at all. I’m not sure if I did something wrong but it made me so sick.

Anyways, I’m so upset. I had high hopes for the compound liquid so I could DLMT but it’s looking like I’m not going to be able to.

Is there anyone who had success with dry cutting Ativan? I’m at .2mg a day. It ends up being .067mg 3 times a day. The pill weighs .007g so it’s already tiny.

I don’t know what to do! Please help. I want to cut safely with the least amount of symptoms but all of my options are slim so I’m getting worried.

Hi Hope:

I also tried the liquid Ativan in MCT oil, but couldn't do it, so I found another compounding pharmacy who makes it just with water and Propylene  Glycol. First they had made it in alcohol, but it gave me headaches.

I just moved over a month ago and stabilized after several weeks (previously I was on a sublingual, so it was a reduction for me).

I think it's ok, I started tapering finally, and 6% was too much for me, so I will have to stabilize again!

Good luck!

You can also make it with water and PG at home, you can buy PG from Amazon, but I have no clue on amounts?

Winnie

Hi everyone!

I’m down to .2mg/day from dry cutting. I started at .375mg. Short term user since September 2020.

I just tried switching to compound pharmacy - almond oil mixture. The almond oil mixture I had a bit of a reaction to and it looks like I need to go back to dry cutting.

I previously tried making my own solution with alcohol/water so I could DLMT but that did not go well at all. I’m not sure if I did something wrong but it made me so sick.

Anyways, I’m so upset. I had high hopes for the compound liquid so I could DLMT but it’s looking like I’m not going to be able to.

Is there anyone who had success with dry cutting Ativan? I’m at .2mg a day. It ends up being .067mg 3 times a day. The pill weighs .007g so it’s already tiny.

I don’t know what to do! Please help. I want to cut safely with the least amount of symptoms but all of my options are slim so I’m getting worried.

HopeforTomorrow,

First, I just want to say that you got this regardless of how you decide to finish.  Next, it can totally be done dry cutting all the way down. Others here have done it, including me.  It's frustrating and maddening sometimes as the scale can feel like a foil to your efforts, but it can be done.  You will walk off like others before you and begin healing. 

I was caught in the middle of a too fast taper when things went quite bad, and although I managed to get an Rx for liquid Ativan when I was roughly at your point now--and I received a lot of positive feedback and invaluable information from Buddies here--I was just so terrified of my headlong experience that adding another unknown to the mix and not knowing how I would react helped me decide to stay the course dry cutting pills.  It was a scary decision for me too, but after having experienced what being wholly unstable was like with too fast a taper, I knew my road ahead would not be worse.  I ended up jumping at roughly .05 (my three divided doses once I hit this total amount were basically specks and dust powder).  For me, .05 was a weight of .006 on my scale, and there was no reliable way of getting any more accurate once my scale got down at this level, so I would take the crumb at this weight and then use an Exacto knife to cut it into three "pieces" the best I could (really this was just an eyeballing it endeavor).

Because I was working with little crumbs and shards, I found it helpful to cut many days' worth at one sitting--particularly when I was feeling up to it.  I used pill organizers and marked everything to keep things straight.  I struggled with cutting every day once the pills got this small (this was a huge mental challenge sometimes), so I adapted and would take the opportunity to cut a few days' worth or week's worth if I had a good run. 

I'm sorry your attempts at DLMT have not gone as well as you'd hoped, but please please know that dry cutting down is possible if you decide to continue that path.  Healing thoughts to you. 

Bibsjo,

Just checking around if I know anyone. Were you on with me and Luey? It looks like you are coming down to crumbs. I walked out of the ocean on to the sand at Ativan 0.0125 mg. I tried to go to 0.006 mg but I could not see anything, so I guess I was done. I have gone from 1 mg of Xanax to 0.12 mg. I am about to see crumbs too. Almost done with 2 Benzos. I see some suffering here so hang in there. Prayers to all. Good night to all. Powerball.

Hi Powerball,

Yes, I was here with you and Luey. Was that last summer? I’m almost there. Still having waves and windows. But overall so much better.

Went to church today and had the opportunity to support another person going through psych withdrawal. Now I’m the strong one and able to support someone else. God is absolutely using my suffering for good.

I pray you are well.

~ Bibs jo

Dianedeedee

The liquid was a life changer for me.  So was slowing way way down. You will adjust. Just listen to your body and don't be in too big of a hurry. I believe a calm CNS heals better.

I see from your signature that you also did a cross over from xanax.  That was a brutal move for me. Took me months to level out from all I went through in the beginning of my taper. My worst symptoms were horrible chemical anxiety, Akathisia and air hunger.  There is a laundry list from head/ear pressure, tinnitus, hair loss, nausea, no appetite, food fear, (fear of everything really), back chest pain, skin burning, chills, hot flashes, couch paralysis......... I call it whack-a-mole symptoms. Some go away, new ones pop up and old ones revisit.

I am currently fairly symptom free. Enjoying it as much as I can as there are no guarantees in this process.  I still have the burning sensation in my feet and legs and the occasional hot/cold flashes. My new symptom for the month of January seems to be chemical depression. I cry for absolutely no good reason. It has seemed to lessen as the days have gone on by. My husband thinks it is my emotions coming back online.  I'll take these few manageable symptoms. The best is my hair quit falling out and I can actually see the new growth of short hairs!

JuJuBi

JuJuBi,

I started crying these last few weeks too. And it felt good. I discovered that if I dropped out of my head where the anxiety lives, and focus my attention down in my heart, I find a whole lot of sadness that need to be expressed. I do believe it’s my emotions coming back online. It’s a good thing for me.

~ Bibs jo

Hi there all,

I’m sure there is plenty of threads on this topic but difficult to navigate with benzo brain.

I’m currently tapering from Valium 5mg after a very unsuccessful crossover from Ativan. I’m still also on Ativan 1.5mg am 0.5mg lunchtime 0.5mg bed (which seems to not be working at all since my Valium taper). Once I finish my Valium taper I’m keen to switch to a combination of Ativan tablets and Lorazepam liquid to commence DMT. I’ve tried cut and hold with Ativan tablets before the Valium crossover and it was brutal. I was cutting by 0.25mg each time and I’d disabling symptoms after 3 weeks each time and I haven’t felt well or very functional through this whole process.

Just interested to know your thoughts,... of the people that have either tried or are on a liquid compounded Lorazapam.

Another member gave me a compunding formula that was “stable”. Using tablets and liquid concerns me bc of the absortion time variations but I’m still on a high dose and using tablets makes sense until I’m down low enough. I’m hoping to use the liquid to work on 0.5mg each time. I’m hoping to reduce 0.1mg per month... and reduce/increase based on symptoms.

Thoughts anyone?

So nervous about trialling liquid... as we have all experienced with change may come as a setback or I’m hoping a positive start so I can DMT... argh!!!

Bibsjo. Friday Feb 5th I just quit.

I was at 0.190 mg Xanax and I just could not figure out how to cut it in half any further on my micro-scale. What I saw was dusts of crumbs anyway.

My journey from 1.0 mg to ZERO was 8 mo., 1 wk. and 1 day. and my journey from 4.0mg of Ativan was 1yr, 7 wks, 4 days. TWO Benzos out of my Life! Forever!

First night of sleep, not very good. What did I expect? Then nights - 2-4 - FAB, WTF!! I could not believe it. I took Ativan and Xanax both for sleep, so this was a big deal for me. Then 2 nights bad (one was all job stress) and last night really good.

On the night I quit, I told my psy that I wanted to reduce my Lamotrigine (he had me on this too slow taper) because I had previously convinced him that my Lamotrigine and Depakote had an almost equal mechanism of action. He said, "You are doing so well, we must stand down until you are off the Xanax." So, I just quit. I am lucky to have a job that gives us off both Lincoln's and President's Day so 4 -day weekend here I come.

I shall pray for everyone here and those who may by the grace of God find their way here. Benzobuddies saved my life. Nobody would help me. Nobody. Psys know how to put you on, but completely useless to get you off. Good evening. Powerball.

Powerball, what a wonderful post to read! I think BB saved my as* too. The Drs have no idea about benzo and psych med cessation in general. I also took lorazepam for insomnia and am now getting some of the best sleep I've had in several (about 8) years. Congrats on jumping and being benzo free. I did a cut and hold as directed by a Dr, cutting .25 and it was hell. I found BB too late to help with cutting, but the people and stories here helped with post withdrawal tremendously. Again, congrats!

I’m having trouble sleeping. I get on average probably 2.5 hours sleep. Don’t have too much falling asleep.  But I’m awakened at 230 - 3am every day.  The way I wake up is disturbing.  I wake up and I’m wired.  And because of being wired, I have to get up. I can’t lay there feeling that way.  I’m up then for the rest of the whole day tired as all can be.  If I try to lay down to take a nap, when I start to doze off, I’m zapped back to sleep and I feel a little adrenaline rush for a few seconds.   

Anyone else experience anything similar.  This getting two hours sleep a night for the last month is really taking it’s toll on me.  My mornings are real rough.  I feel like the morning dose of Ativan has a lot to bring me down from.  It seems like it’s not until my afternoon dose, do I start to feel a little more normal

I might trazadone to see if it helps.

I was going to crossover to Valium but my doctor is advising against now.  He did two test doses of diazepam on two separate nights and I got very restless/jump out of my skin feelings briefly.  He said it’s too risky for me to crossover... is Ativan hard to taper from?

Hi All,

Would like some advice please... currently withdrawing from a failed crossover from Ativan to Valium.

When the Valium taper is over and once I’ve stablised I’d like to DMT taper of Ativan. Was originally thinking combining my Ativan tablets and using compunded liquid Lorazepam for 0.5mg dose and taper from there. After this very unsuccessful Valium crossover I’m super nervous about trialling a coumponded liquid generic. Especially if I’m using it in combo with tablets....different absorption rates, new drug. Liquid not agreeing with me etc.

Any thoughts, responses from people that have tried it or are currently using a compounded liquid. I’m not keen to make it at home or do liquid titration. Benzo brain.

Also looking into dry tapering. Scales to use? Method to use? Any direction would be grateful....

Daily taper calculation? Eg. Aiming for 2.5% over 14 days

I’m having trouble sleeping. I get on average probably 2.5 hours sleep. Don’t have too much falling asleep.  But I’m awakened at 230 - 3am every day.  The way I wake up is disturbing.  I wake up and I’m wired.  And because of being wired, I have to get up. I can’t lay there feeling that way.  I’m up then for the rest of the whole day tired as all can be.  If I try to lay down to take a nap, when I start to doze off, I’m zapped back to sleep and I feel a little adrenaline rush for a few seconds.   

Anyone else experience anything similar.  This getting two hours sleep a night for the last month is really taking it’s toll on me.  My mornings are real rough.  I feel like the morning dose of Ativan has a lot to bring me down from.  It seems like it’s not until my afternoon dose, do I start to feel a little more normal

I might trazadone to see if it helps.

Lunkhead,

If you are getting about 2.5 hours of sleep you must not go to bed until midnight.  Have you tried going to bed earlier?  Sleep that happens before midnight is the most restorative. 

I also have trouble with sleep.  I wake around 1:30 am with my heart pounding.  Sometimes I can go back to sleep, often I cannot and then, like you, I'm up all day.  When I was tapering it took a hold of six months or more for my sleep to improve, but it did.  The next taper would start the cycle back up again.

I have sometimes found that eating something with carbs gives me a better chance of getting back to sleep.  It doesn't always work but I have had some success with it.  I also avoid anything stimulating before bed, such as tv, cell phone or any screen really.  I may read or listen to soft, slow music.

I made a You Tube playlist of sleep meditations and that probably helped the most.  I'm not sure if what you are experiencing is akathesia or not.  It also helps me to not look at the time when I awaken in the middle of the night.  I'm sorry you are going through this, I understand the desperation when sleep doesn't happen.  Ginger