Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

I don't understand what a weak CNS is, why have you diagnosed yourself with this condition, I'm not even sure what it means.  I'm asking this question because this is what benzo's do to us, the drug creates fear and when we give into the fear we suffer that much more.

Getting on a consistent dose and sticking to it is the only way to reach stability. 

Please tell us exactly what your dosing schedule has been for the last week.

Dear Pamster,

I cannot give a drug schedule as I’ve changed it many times. Now, what I am trying, it’s 0,29mg split in two doses, 0,14 morning and 0,15 evening, 12 hours apart. I tried 0,30 mg in the last days, but I feel so tired and exhausted the last 2 days that I’ve decreased a bit today to 0,29mg.

When I said « weak », maybe it wasn’t the good word, I must say « destabilized ».

Thank you for explaining what you meant by weak, this makes sense to me now.  :thumbsup:

I can see you're trying to find a dose that words for you, so at .30 you were feeling fatigued, are you sleeping?

I sleep generally well, around 7-8 hours, sometimes more. But even with that, I am more and more exhausted. No motivation at all.

I am taking 0,15mg at 8am and 0,15mg at 8pm.

Today, I started to have interdose withdrawal around 5:30pm.

Do you think if I split the dose in 3 it will helps?

You could try 3 times

.1mg  .1mg and .1 mg.

That is exactly where I am at now.  I dose 3 times.  6 am, 2 pm and 10 pm.  There have been more than a few times that I have slept in and not dosed until 6:30 or 7 and have been fine.  Today I had errands to run so did my 2 pm dose at 1;30.  As long as I get my 3 doses close to my times I am ok.

Whatever you decide you need to get on a consistent schedule and stick there for a while.  It may take a few days or even weeks to stabilize.  Keep in mind that stable doesn't necessarily mean no symptoms.  It means you are in a place you can function and move forward in your taper.  I know this is all a shock to be in this position.  There have been a lot of changes in our dosing. Your brain and CNS need some consistency to get to a stable spot.

JuJuBi

JuJuBi

I do not have interdose symptoms.

Currently my symptoms are burning sensation in my feet and legs, hot flashes.  These symptoms come and go.  The hot flashes have lessened the lower I get. The burning feet and legs are old friends that have been there for the whole journey. I have a new symptom that began a month ago of crying for no particular reason but that is lessening.

I found my journey pretty hard, as I have mental symptoms, like anxiety, depression, anhedonia, fatigue, and no interest in nothing. I hope when I will stabilize I will be better. For now, I cannot function. I can’t work.

I can't tell you for sure I had interdose but I do know that when I got my doses evened out and 3 times a day things did improve.

In the beginning of my taper I had many horrible mental and physical symptoms including all of those you mentioned and more. I spent a good amount of time in what I call couch paralysis.  I could not do much but sit, rock or walk around the yard. I felt no emotions or pleasure.  I had terrible dark hard anxiety and depression. Nausea, fatigue, muscle pain. . . . I somehow managed to get through the work day.  I have been working remote. I could not have gone into an office or physically gone to work during that time. I was able to power through the work day remotely some how.  I used a lot of tools; mindfulness, prayer, reaching out to friends and talking about anything but my taper, breathing exercises, taking pictures of flowers, self comforting talks, positive affirmations and self hugging, ice packs on my forehead, journaling even the smallest positive thing. anything and everything to distract. 

There were some days I truly did not think I would make it through, but we do.  It is possible to get things stable and not have a terrible taper. Mine is not perfect but has greatly improved. I have had some good long runs of stability and being able to live life.

I try to have a schedule, but for the moment, it is not stable yet. I try to take one dose at 8:00am and the other at 8:00pm. Today, I’ve had strong interdose 2-4 hours before my evening dose. I am so tired of finding the good dose. I don’t know what to do.

I try to have a schedule, but for the moment, it is not stable yet. I try to take one dose at 8:00am and the other at 8:00pm. Today, I’ve had strong interdose 2-4 hours before my evening dose. I am so tired of finding the good dose. I don’t know what to do.

When I split mine I did it gradually.  I took some from the first does and some from the last dose and took 4 times a day then moved the two center ones closer until they merged and became one dose mid day.  I took a week to split things up and move it around. Taking changes slow and easy seems best in all this.  I ended up with 3 doses 8 hours apart.  Something like the below.  This is an example based on .3 mg a day  I am not sure what dose you are on.

Day 1  - [8:00 am  .1mg ]      [10 am .05mg]      [6 pm . 05 mg]      [8 pm .1 mg]

Day 2  -  [7:30  am  .1 mg]      [11 am .05 mg]    [5 pm .05mg]        [8 pm  .1 mg]

Day 3 -  [7:30  am  .1 mg]      [12 pm  .05 mg]    [5 pm .05 mg ]      [8:30 pm  .1 mg]

Day 4 -  [7:30  am  .1 mg ]      [1 pm .05 mg]        [4 pm .05 mg]      [9:00 pm  .1 mg]

Day 5 -  [7:00 am  .1 mg]        [3 pm .1 mg ]      [10:00 pm  .1 mg]

Day 6  - [7 am .1 mg]              [3 pm .1 mg]      [10:30 pm  .1 mg]

Day 7 -  [7 am .1 mg]              [3 pm .1 mg]      [11 pm    .1 mg]

Some have just split them in one day with no issues. Just taking it 3 times 8 hours apart.  Then hold there until stable.

Jujubi,

What have you done to feel better? Did you hold in order to stabilize?

Marie

It took a long time and a lot of work.  I split my dose in 3. Then for me going to the liquid made a huge difference as my doc thinks I was sensitive to some ingredient in the pills.  I would get sick every time I took my pill.

The keys for me.

Accepting this process is not fast or easy.  There is no easy fix.

Never being afraid to hold until stable.

Patience. Going slow. Remembering as someone wise told me " you can't outrun your symptoms"

Understanding and reminding myself that this is all temporary long and hard but temporary.

For me going very slow and holding when I need to has made a huge difference.  Going this slow is not for everyone but for me I have to work and function so I have no choice but to go at a turtle pace to keep symptoms at bay.  All of us are different. You will find YOUR taper that is right for you.

JuJuBi

For now, I just want to feel better and find a baseline where I can stabilize. After, I will think about the taper... For now, my life is a real misery.

And one more thing. When you started on liquid compound, did you introduce it gradually?

No I went straight to the liquid.  As I mentioned I think there was an ingredient in the pill that my body did not like.  So for me It was an instant improvement. 

Some have trouble moving to a liquid but most I have seen do fine.  Too many changes at once confused things for me and caused increased anxiety and symptoms.  I split my dose, let that settle then moved to a liquid.

Another note on getting to stability. I eat a good clean diet and try to exercise every day even if it is just walk around the yard or lift some light weights.

For now, I just want to feel better and find a baseline where I can stabilize. After, I will think about the taper... For now, my life is a real misery.

I think that is wise.  It will get better. I can't tell you when but just that it will.

Hey JuJuBi,

I’m in Australia. Just curious to know if your Lorazapam liquid is compounded? If so, do you the what ingredients are used and ratios etc.

I recently tried c/o to Valium and it failed. I just tapered off Valium and now holding in the hope I stabilise so I can commence DMT Ativan tablets.

I have debilitating symptoms since starting Valium. So many trial and error on getting off this drug. Here I was thinking c/o to longer acting benzo was the answer! Ah nope, just another set back. But you always got to have a back up plan. Hence, me enquiring about the liquid lorazapam. My compounding pharamacy said they can do it but haven’t before which makes me super nervous.

It’s good you have the distraction of work. I had an amazing job but I’m in no state to face it right now.

Your journey inspires me... we Ativan warriors can be free too! 🤗

Hello Aussiegalrecovery

I do use a compounded liquid.  Below are the ingredients but I do not have the ratios of those ingredients.

Polyethylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, water, Ethyl Alcohol 190 proof and there are some flavorings in there too I think. 

My story started out on a very rough road where I could barely get through my days.  We make the best decisions we can at the time.  We all take different bends in the road but still are all going in the right direction.  What matters is we all get off this stuff in the end and heal.

If I understand correctly you did a c/o to valium and only partially switched, You are done with the valium part but are still on Ativan? How many mg of Ativan do you take?

JuJuBi