Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Kry,

I am glad that I was able to help! I honestly don't remember how long it took my hearing to get better, but I know over time I just stopped noticing it as a problem.  I know meditation and breathing exercises helped a lot, as I was able to learn how to stop clenching my jaw and be more relaxed. 

Actually it's good I am remembering that.  I probably should start doing those again.

Haimona

great advice.. thank you

Looking for support and suggestions about my Benzo taper.

Please be kind in your response I’m going through a lot of anxiety atm.

Is it possible to do a direct taper off my night time Ativan using a very slow tapper method with using weight scale?

I have been having worsening of anxiety in the day since I started to tapper. It did stabilize with a long hold, there but manageable. I’m terrified of this drug and to making changes such as splitting doses or switching long acting for what the outcome may bring, insomnia, bad withdrawals, makes things worse etc.

I have terrible insomnia which is being pretty well managed at current dosages although I do also use GABA supplement to help me fall asleep and in the day to help manage withdrawal symptoms and anxiety. I also use some CBD oil to help with anxiety.

I have a supportive doctor and a psychiatrist. Will be having a consult soon to go over options. I know my psych mentioned switching to Diazepam as an option. But I’m so scared.

Anyone been in a similar situation and can advise?

Thanks !

Welcome CHo85, I’m sorry you’re having so much anxiety and fear. This is a safe space and we are happy to help you through this.

Many people here have successfully tapered off of Ativan. I can only share what has worked for me, but each person is different:

- Dividing my dose into 3x a day helped me combat the awful wd sx’s that I experienced at the start of my taper. Some even dose 4X a day because of Ativan’s short half life. You may have a few tough days while you adjust, but for me it was worth the switch.

- I began this journey by dry cutting my sublingual pills. Some have tapered the whole way using this method, but I found that my very sensitive system picked up on the inconsistency of the cuts (which even while using my scale was happening). I switched to a compounded liquid, made by a local pharmacy, and began daily liquid microtapering (DLMT). I improved a lot from this, as dosing is so accurate and the ability to reduce by such tiny amounts each day has been easier on my system.

- My experience with both GABA and CBD oil during taper is that it increased my anxiety by a ton. A lot of buddies stay clear of any supplements during taper. I use Omega oil and find it’s fine, but I would do a bit of research on the GABA and CBD oil... I think they may be adding to your overall feeling of fear and anxiety.

- A clean diet, exercise and meditation have helped me tremendously.

It’s wonderful that you have a supportive medical team... this will give you more control of your taper. However you decide to proceed with your taper, we are here to help and encourage. I didn’t think I’d get through at the start... I’m now 2/3 of the way through and having more windows than waves. 

You’re in the right place, and you CAN do this.

Awful, awful, awful last night and today.  I am hurting today buddies.  First, things were looking up, more positive things happening (I began sweating for first time in a month the other day and yawning came back).  At least I think these were positive things.  Sleep was still my nemesis but I was managing.  Some really decent windows of breathing room giving me hope that I was around the bend, especially moving closer to end game.  I saw my cardiologist last week who assured me he would help once he heard what had happened.  He upped my BP bills (Carvedilol) as BP was still too high (not surprised) and he wanted me to take Clonidine .1 mg at night (another BP but with sedating qualities) and said to quit where I was at, that what he was doing would get me through to end game. I was roughly at .158 or .15 (I was still dry cutting so accurate weighing tricky).  I spoke with pharmacist as didn’t feel comfortable even though I was much more stable last week from the initial faster taper. He gave me validation that it might be best to start with the upped BP pills first and see how I did, that my system might further stabilize and I could keep tapering down, then adding in the Clonidine.  He understood the cardiologist’s reasoning for adding it, but said it would be best to ease in rather than doing 3 big things (adding BP dosage, another med, and jumping).  I felt better about this plan and forged on.  Added the upped BP dosage last week then and began tapering again.  By the weekend I had some really good windows and Monday was a fairly decent day—aside sleep.  I felt so hopeful that worst was behind and set on continued cutting little by little each day until end of this week when I would hit that .05 mark.  Yesterday was my oldest’s 15th birthday and other than my muscle weakness, some slight tremor, and the occasional chest/back tightness with some anxiety, it was a good day in Ativan taper terms.  In the evening we ate dinner and I could tell I was starting to not feel as good, tremor got stronger.  Around 8:00 last night I began those body shakes again but didn’t think too much as they happened over the weekend but weren’t so intense or scary as the early ones a few weeks ago when things when bad.  However, things slowly started to get worse, more intensity and I began to have feelings in my face and head like I was disconnected.  I lost some control of my body at some points and had difficulty talking/articulating what I wanted or needed and at some points I couldn’t stand.  It was much like that night when things initially went south, but I didn’t have the dry heaves.  I was terrified and didn’t know if it was seizure like or not and neither did my husband.  He got me upstairs and I laid in bed with the shakes then.  I took my dose of Ativan (it’s just a teeny speck now) and decided to take the Clonidine as cardiologist asked me to.  It was sedating and I think I maybe feel asleep for an hour and a half, but then was up all night with that sedated feeling, my body still in tremors and a feeling like I was there but not.  I did have dry heaves this morning and a terrible metallic taste is in my mouth too (this is new)..  Around 8 this morning I had a dizzy sensation like “there’s me” again, like I could effectively communicate and was slightly steadier on my legs.  Hubby is working from home to take care of the 2 year old as I can’t right now.  It’s taking all my willpower to type this—distracting myself as much as possible.

The cardiologist said to come to his office whenever I felt I needed to (he wants to help and said he would), so we may just do that later, but he wanted me to stop Ativan completely.  My dose today is .08 (total broken into 3) and I just don’t know if trying to stabilize is worth it at this point, that the withdrawal wagon is here.  If I’m already acute again and at that jump point??? 

I know I’m writing this out of desperation again and feeling scared of what is happening, so I apologize for that. 

CHo85, welcome and I hope the other buddies can offer some good insights and help for you. 

Amanda

Please, I know it was fast again, but when I stabilized and things were going fairly decent with the cuts last week, I felt I must be so low that the worst had already happened.  It seemed reasonable to keep going as my body didn’t give clues to say otherwise—in fact my best couple days were this past Saturday through yesterday evening.  Clearly, I was wrong about the worst being over. 

Amanda

Hi Sunshine

Sorry this is so scary.

You have been cutting very quickly... you’ve reduced by almost 50% in less than 10 days... I would bet that is why you are having these symptoms. Symptoms don’t always appear right away after a cut. For me, it’s sometimes 7 days later that I suffer from being too aggressive with my cuts.

Some buddies have jumped at 0.1, but after having many months symptom free. In my mind, even at 0.08, the drug is potent, and by your body’s reaction, it wants stability. You’ve also added in another med, which as far as I can understand, is used to help wd from opiates, not Benzos. I know you’re treating an underlying issue of high BP, but I think your CNS is just saying ‘enough’.

We can’t tell you when to jump, but if your wd symptoms are this strong at 0.08, jumping may just add to that, as your GABA receptors are looking for more lorazepam. Maybe more senior members can jump in here, but what you’re describing (shaking, depersonalization, derealization, etc) are withdrawal symptoms that won’t be amended by just stopping. I appreciate you have a cardiologist who wants to help you, but there is no easy way to do this... if your body is telling you it’s in distress after reducing, my advice would be to hold and stabilize. Then, go very, very slowly. I have learned from wise buddies that the point of going slow is to calm your system, as well as avoid protracted withdrawal symptoms post taper.

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on how to do a dry taper, using a scale (not a liquid taper). Has anyone in this group tried this successfully? I'm getting really frustrated trying to make these small cuts accurately, and I'm sure the unevenness of my doses is not helping my taper or my state of mind.

Right now I am holding at (approximately?) .3125 mg.  I would like to stabilize there before cutting any more.

Thanks,

Haimona

If you'll start a thread on the direct taper tab of the Planning your taper (Taper Plans) board I can get Bob7, the author of this video to drop by to assist you, he used a scale and put his medication into capsules.  He'll help you with the math too, even if you decide to not put it into capsules, these two video's might be useful to you.

Bob7 Benzo Dry Taper Method using capsules 

[4f...]

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on how to do a dry taper, using a scale (not a liquid taper). Has anyone in this group tried this successfully? I'm getting really frustrated trying to make these small cuts accurately, and I'm sure the unevenness of my doses is not helping my taper or my state of mind.

Right now I am holding at (approximately?) .3125 mg.  I would like to stabilize there before cutting any more.

Thanks,

Haimona

Don't get hung up on absolute accuracy.  That can add to your anxiety.  The pills you get from the pharmacy are +/- 5%.  A little error is OK.  If you're trying for a pill weight of 0.087 g and hit 0.085 g, that's well within 5%.

Hi everyone. Just wanted to share a success story, because this IS possible. I jumped about 12 days ago and feel awesome. I have not had the urge to take anything/no symptoms. My taper started out pretty difficult but got easier as I went down. YOU CAN DO IT! I was super overwhelmed when I started and thought it would take forever, but just keep going and you’ll be on the other side in no time! YOU GOT THIS!

Letsgetthisdone, thats amazing!

I currently taking about 1.47mg but only once at bedtime insomnia. How did you split up your doses? I having horrible interdose withdrawal since the last couple of weeks. Im scared to split and move around the doses cause I know my insomnia will come back. Any suggestions how I could split up the doses? 1mg of ativan alone doesnt help me sleep anymore.  Im open to switching to a long-acting but of course im nervous about starting something new.

If you'll start a thread on the direct taper tab of the Planning your taper (Taper Plans) board I can get Bob7, the author of this video to drop by to assist you, he used a scale and put his medication into capsules.  He'll help you with the math too, even if you decide to not put it into capsules, these two video's might be useful to you.

Bob7 Benzo Dry Taper Method using capsules 

Thank you so much, Pamster! I started a thread as you suggested.  I am going to read the links you provided too.  I can use a lot of help with math, as I was never great at math to begin with, and am having a great deal of brain fog right now.

Haimona

Hi all,

Thanks,

Haimona

Don't get hung up on absolute accuracy.  That can add to your anxiety.  The pills you get from the pharmacy are +/- 5%.  A little error is OK.  If you're trying for a pill weight of 0.087 g and hit 0.085 g, that's well within 5%.

Thanks, Badsocref.  I totally get what you're saying, but I have a feeling the accuracy is way off in my case as I am trying to cut these tiny pills into eighths by eye using a pill cutter. 

Haimona

Hi everyone. Just wanted to share a success story, because this IS possible. I jumped about 12 days ago and feel awesome. I have not had the urge to take anything/no symptoms. My taper started out pretty difficult but got easier as I went down. YOU CAN DO IT! I was super overwhelmed when I started and thought it would take forever, but just keep going and you’ll be on the other side in no time! YOU GOT THIS!

Letsgetthisdone, I remember you! It's so great to hear you are done with your taper and feeling better! Can you share with us some of the difficult symptoms you were having earlier on in your taper, for encouragement?

Haimona

Letsgetthisdone, thats amazing!

I currently taking about 1.47mg but only once at bedtime insomnia. How did you split up your doses? I having horrible interdose withdrawal since the last couple of weeks. Im scared to split and move around the doses cause I know my insomnia will come back. Any suggestions how I could split up the doses? 1mg of ativan alone doesnt help me sleep anymore.  Im open to switching to a long-acting but of course im nervous about starting something new.

Hi CHo85!

I was the opposite, I only took it in the morning before I started my taper. After getting help from other people on this site I realized that I had to start splitting up my doses during my taper. In order to split them up I started super gradually, but I eventually split it up into three doses, then two doses, and then finally one again once I got really low. I think you have to figure out what works for your body, everyone is different. BUT I must say that when I started splitting up my doses I felt terrible but it was totally worth it once I got use to it.

I never switched to a long acting benzo. I would suggest buying a jewlery scale and weighing all of your doses. This site was invaluable to me when figuring out how to do that!

I did lose sleep when changing my doses but it gets better. Also I'm not recommending it but this did work for me. I would take a little bit of tylonol pm when I really couldn't sleep and it really helped. You will get frustrated and it will suck but it gets easier i promise.

Ask questions, people on this site are awesome and super knowledgable. YOU GOT THIS!!

Letsgetthisdone, I remember you! It's so great to hear you are done with your taper and feeling better! Can you share with us some of the difficult symptoms you were having earlier on in your taper, for encouragement?

Haimona

Hi Haimona!

I found that my taper got easier as I lessened my dose. In the beginning I did not understand that I had to fully commit in order to be able to keep cutting and never increase my dose. By this I mean that I had to stop drinking, not exercise as intensely, give up caffine, and start eating healthier. Once I did these things my symptoms became sooo much lighter. (I still dont drink caffine/still limit exercise/only have one or two drinks a week maybe/still eat very healthy).

Before doing these things I would had a lot of trouble sleeping, feeling like I would have a panic attack, heart racing a few times(very scary), night sweats.

BUT AGAIN once I changed my lifestyle as indicated above the taper became sooo much easier. These are things that helped my body and maybe yours is different, but this is what works for me.

Congrats of your success thus far!!! You got this!!

Hi Sunshine

Sorry this is so scary.

You have been cutting very quickly... you’ve reduced by almost 50% in less than 10 days... I would bet that is why you are having these symptoms. Symptoms don’t always appear right away after a cut. For me, it’s sometimes 7 days later that I suffer from being too aggressive with my cuts.

Some buddies have jumped at 0.1, but after having many months symptom free. In my mind, even at 0.08, the drug is potent, and by your body’s reaction, it wants stability. You’ve also added in another med, which as far as I can understand, is used to help wd from opiates, not Benzos. I know you’re treating an underlying issue of high BP, but I think your CNS is just saying ‘enough’.

We can’t tell you when to jump, but if your wd symptoms are this strong at 0.08, jumping may just add to that, as your GABA receptors are looking for more lorazepam. Maybe more senior members can jump in here, but what you’re describing (shaking, depersonalization, derealization, etc) are withdrawal symptoms that won’t be amended by just stopping. I appreciate you have a cardiologist who wants to help you, but there is no easy way to do this... if your body is telling you it’s in distress after reducing, my advice would be to hold and stabilize. Then, go very, very slowly. I have learned from wise buddies that the point of going slow is to calm your system, as well as avoid protracted withdrawal symptoms post taper.

Thank you Marwegs.  I know and just fell under the assumption that because I was feeling okay, it was good to keep moving down.  So close, but so far away.  I am holding for now and not planning to continue the Clonidine, just the upped dosage for BP pills.  Doing my best to work through this yet again.  Not sure if I made things worse last night too as took Advil because of menstrual cramps (insult to injury).  Cramps went away but woke up to that similar feeling of rolling/lightheadedness with whole body tingling/numbing sensation with some tremor.  Felt unsteady.  Did a quick search on Advil in forum and looks like this might be a not good idea during withdrawal/taper?  Might just be continued stabilizing but I will abstain from Advil for now. 

Another warranted update: yesterday I went to the neurologist to make sure he was in loop and maybe get some other insights.  In March, I had an MRI as was experiencing some pinched nerve sensations last fall/early winter.  The MRI showed a small focal white matter lesion in my right frontal lobe.  Neuro said if it was any where else on brain to dismiss and move on as lesions are common, but because that location can sometimes be a magnet for MS, he wanted a recheck in one year but if I noticed any other symptoms to reach out.  No biggie.  It was not on my radar anymore.  However, with recent events, I felt another voice might be helpful and it ended up being  a mixed bag visit.  Unfortunately, he was in agreeance with my primary (SCREAM!) that the dosage I was on and for such a short period of time should not have triggered any dependence or withdrawals like I had/am having.  He noted that I wasn't even on much of a therapeutic dose anyways so obviously it wasn't helping me when first put on.  However, he did say that clearly it wasn't good for me if I was having the issues and was sorry I was experiencing what I was.  It was a passive-aggressive way of saying he believed me but clinically couldn't agree.  He did articulate that he thought Xanax should be pulled from the market completely because of it's extremely short half-life, that he doesn't prescribe it.  Interesting.  He said that my current Ativan dose should no longer be an issue because of the half-life, but did say that to mitigate it to go down by .01 every 5-7 days until I finish.  Again, his way of saying it's not possible but here's how to do it.  This is so frustrating.  At the end when he finished his exam, he noted that I had "up toes" (Babinski sign) and that he wants an MRI of my head again and cervical spine as well--and to see him in 2 weeks.  Clearly there is something happening in my CNS.  Not gonna lie it's added to my fear factor and I'm taking it with a grain of salt right now, trying to focus on stabilizing.  I just wish I wouldn't have gone on that run June 24th. 

Amanda

Congratulations on this!

Hi Haimona

I’m happy to do the math for you for your dry taper.

Just let me know:

- The mg per pill

- the weight of 10 pills

- how much you want to reduce by either each day or otherwise.

I’m on a compounded liquid now, which reduced my sx’s significantly, but I used a scale for daily cuts before that.

I’m no expert on how to properly do it once it gets super low, but happy to provide the numbers.

Maria

Haimona,

I dry cut all the from 4 mg to.oo1mg in just over a year and 3mo. I think. I cannot see my tag line this second. I do believe, however, in the absolute precision cut using a .005mg scale which I used all the way (I chose Gemini). Now I confess I changed methods here and there early on as I tried to experiment with the right rhythmic taper.  My primary symptom was afternoon nausea as the half-life of the Ativan wore off (half-life of the drug).

I am tapering off Xanax now, but the cut is the same, precise, but the pill is smaller. I have gone from 1 mg to .75 mg as I begin month 2. Let me try and post the formula here for you this weekend. At first it looks complex but then it is easy. But how FAST fast YOU taper is entirely individualized.  Right now, I would try a .005mg cut and see how you feel, but if you cannot cut it precisely, again this is the precision you need. 

For now, weigh one pill and tell me the weight.  Cut up a tiny square of paper.  It needs to cover the circle on scale, but not too big. Weigh the paper and NEVER get rid of this paper ever. When you close your scale, then leave it there.  My current paper weighs .325mg. Tell me what your total dose is (I see it above) and how many times you slit the dose (if so) and a what mg. per each dose. Mine was easy, once every pm. Let's start there.  Powerball.

Marwegs/Maria,

Thank you for your help! I ordered my scale a couple of days ago based on recommendations on the dry taper board, but haven't received it yet. 

Powerball, it's so great to see you again! How are you doing these days? I would greatly welcome your help too as your successful taper, and positive attitude throughout, have been a great inspiration to me.

Once I get the scale, I will post again here so I can get ready.  Even though I plan to hold a bit longer as my last cut was rough on me (honestly they have all been rough on me since I got below .5 mg), I would like to get my dose accurate and consistent even while I'm holding.

Thanks,

Haimona

Sunshine75,

I feel for you , I have been there at cardiologist also, I think you have gone far too fast.

I would hold until you feel better . It might take a while but you will.

I am finished my taper today it has been a very long time.... 1 1/2 years of a constant slow taper.

i am jumping at 2.5 mls and my only symptom still is bad sleep broken all night long.

It has been my pleasure to have met everyone here and my wish for all is just a feeling of calm you all will get there it just takes time.

Best Lisa

Congratulations Lisa!!!

You finished!  Yeah!! In my opinion you didn't "jump" you micro tapered your doses very slowly and patiently down to nothing-  gently stepping off like a soft quiet step in the sand. 

I wish you a very happy birthday too!  What a great birthday gift to finish your taper!  You should feel very proud of yourself.  You did something few can do and without the support of your MD.

Thanks for all of your support and camaraderie in the long journey.  I remember meeting you here in early 2019 when the group was very tiny and we were all trying to figure it out.  I'm so happy to see you reach ZERO!  Thankfully Builder helped us learn how to do a DLMT!  I hope he knows how many of us he helped.

[move] :thumbsup:Celebrating Lisa's Success and Freedom :thumbsup:[/move]

High Five My Friend!!  You're Free!  Enjoy!

Luey