Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

I am just starting back up after a many year hold.  I just wanted to say thanks for so many encouraging posts on this thread. I’m pretty petrified about starting the taper.

I need a prescriber since my previous doc quit practicing out of the blue . I am seeing one next week . Here’s hoping they will support.

But again, I’ve gotten a lot of information from this sight and encouragement and a big thanks to those who are so generous with their time to help.

Just a note about my earlier taper:I don’t remember exact dates but sometime around 2012-13 I tapered from 2 mg Ativan a day to 3/4 mg.  I’m thinking it took me a couple of years.  I was just breaking up 0.5 mg tablets. I did this without any real troubling WD symptoms. Looking back I see that I did have some, they were just not horrible.

Fast forward to this March, I had started tapering the 0.5mg at bedtime and was at 0.25 mg dose for a couple of days and the dam broke with some back pain I had started having and it sent me into a tailspin.  I eventually reinstated to 1.25mg a day I was so overwhelmed.  Now I’m a mess bit determined to see this through .

Everyone with positivity is really helping me.

I would like to know how many of you did their taper with diazepam substitution?

Thanks to listening to me ramble :)

Hi 2cats - welcome

This group is tapering directly off of Ativan, with no switch over to Valium. It’s possible! But you have to do what feels right for you.

Many of us split our doses up between 3-4 times a day, to minimize interdose withdrawal  symptoms. That said, some stayed with their single dose per day... everyone is different.

My advice is to determine a method that you’d like to move forward with, then do it with as much accuracy as possible. For instance, if you would like to stick with a dry taper, getting a scale to weigh your doses accurately is optimal. I started with a dry taper, but found it difficult as the dosage got smaller, and am currently using a liquid compounded by a pharmacist.

There are other ways to taper, which you can read about here:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=163.0

Let us know how we can help.  :)

Hi Everybody,

I have been following this thread since I last posted on August 19 and I have been very impressed by the supportive nature of this group. Congratulations to those that have recently completed their tapers. Thank you for sharing your experiences, it gives me hope.

When I last posted I was hoping to start tapering from 1.5 mg a day. I have been holding there because I am really scared to actually start tapering. At the time I was cutting 1 mg pills in half and taking half a pill every 8 hours but I felt like the cuts weren't accurate and I was yo-yo-ing a little bit so I switched my prescription to 0.5 mg tablets and I feel like that has helped me stabilize a bit more but now I feel like I want to actually start tapering but I'm really scared to start. I am planning to try a cut and hold.

I would really appreciate some advice on how much you all think I should cut for my very first reduction. Any other encouraging or reassuring advice would be much appreciated.

Hi buddies,

I’m just stopping in to say hello. It’s wonderful/terrible to see so many new names here. The support in this group is invaluable, but it’s so sad to see so much pain and suffering continue to come in the door. Y’all are in the right place, though. This thread certainly saved my life and sanity.

I’ll be 8 weeks off of my lorazepam taper in a few days, and I’m doing mostly great. I followed the Ashton method of 10% weekly, and I dry cut untll .075mg when I switched to water titration. The hardest days I have had are tied to the thrush and mouth burning that antibiotics for a UTI in July gifted me. In withdrawal, our bodies are under so much stress and can struggle to clear these kinds of infections (even with medicine). This has certainly been true for me.

My sleep has gotten better and better. My cognition is much improved. My tinnitus is just about gone. I don’t have dp/dr anymore. My energy has been coming back too. My main symptoms are mild internal tremor, occasional chemical anxiety, burning mouth, tingly skin, and medication sensitivity, I am fully functional and can distract myself from these things most days. I’m still homeschooling, driving, shopping, exercising some, and I feel more and more like myself all the time.

Love and healing to all of you on this journey! It gets better, and you are healing!

Beauty

Thanks Marwegs for the info. I did not realize this was only a direct taper thread.  I can’t decide how to go forward but I’ve always leaned towards direct taper.  I didn’t like the idea of trying to acclimate to another drug. 

When I first started tapering  a few years ago I did direct taper with really no major issues . Then I held for a few years. Now I’m having terrible withdrawal/tolerance I believe is due to a back pain issue .  It occurred to me today that the WD started when I was taking muscle relaxers for the back pain.  I had some crazy side effects.  I didn’t even think about how they may have interacted with the Benzo.

I do have a scale so I think I will stick to my original plan to direct taper.

Thanks so much.

Hi to all the new members, and old thread-mates,

I hope everyone is doing well.  Beauty, I'm so glad to hear you are doing so well! Of course I am especially encouraged by your improved cognition and sleep, as those are by far my biggest problems with the taper.  I'm still here, still holding, and my sleep has gotten a bit better -- not too many nights anymore of just an hour or two of sleep -- four or five is becoming the norm, which still doesn't feel like nearly enough, but a step in the right direction for sure.  I think the walking I've been doing, between about 40 and 60 minutes a day, has made a big difference too.  I haven't had as many truly disturbing memory lapses either, since I've been holding. I'm nervous that they will start again when I start tapering again, but very very determined to get off this poison.

I finally got my replacement scale (I got one a while ago and there was a problem with it, so I had to order another one), and plan to set it up and hopefully start using it this weekend, if I can figure it all out.  I am really looking forward to having an accurate, consistent dose every night.  It's extremely hard to make these small cuts with anything near accuracy, using just a pill cutter and my eyeballs.  My goal is just to stabilize the dose for maybe a week, and then start tapering again.  I'm intimidated by understanding the scale, tbh, although that's embarrassing to admit.  I blame it on benzo brain as I used to be very intelligent.

To the new people here, you've found yourself a good spot.  I credit most of what remains of my sanity to this group and this forum.

Haimona

Hi Everybody,

I have been following this thread since I last posted on August 19 and I have been very impressed by the supportive nature of this group. Congratulations to those that have recently completed their tapers. Thank you for sharing your experiences, it gives me hope.

When I last posted I was hoping to start tapering from 1.5 mg a day. I have been holding there because I am really scared to actually start tapering. At the time I was cutting 1 mg pills in half and taking half a pill every 8 hours but I felt like the cuts weren't accurate and I was yo-yo-ing a little bit so I switched my prescription to 0.5 mg tablets and I feel like that has helped me stabilize a bit more but now I feel like I want to actually start tapering but I'm really scared to start. I am planning to try a cut and hold.

I would really appreciate some advice on how much you all think I should cut for my very first reduction. Any other encouraging or reassuring advice would be much appreciated.

Hi Taylor1, welcome back

I know this is a scary journey to embark on... fear has been an unwelcome companion for me along this journey. I am currently in a yucky wave, but I look at my journal, when I was at the start of my taper, feeling hopeless, and I’m shocked at the strength I didn’t know that I had. You will do great. As the Ashton Manual notes, a good way to start is to be confident, patient, and choose your own way. Don’t compare to others: find what works for you and set off on this journey to be free. It won’t be easy, but you can do it.

It’s good that you’re taking your doses 3x/day.... I have reduced evenly across each dose so my body remains somewhat stable. This has worked for me. The rate to reduce at is suggested between 5-10% every 1-2 weeks (Ashton Method). This is too fast for many, so maybe start slow and see how you do.

I have yo-yo’d a bit in my reductions, trying to find a sweet spot, but what I’ve found is that it changes a lot for me, so the switch from cut and hold to daily microtapering has helped me adjust my taper with much more precision. But everyone is different, and many have done it through cut and hold. Be open to shifting... you are in control.

Wishing you great success.... you’ve got this!  :)

Haimona - you sound good... this makes me  :) good luck as you start to reduce again!

I am still battling a pretty significant wave, trying to keep my chin up... tough stuff.

Beauty - soooo excited about your healing. Gives me so much HOPE. 🕊

Beauty,

Thank you for popping back and leaving us an encouraging message! It really helps. I am so incredibly happy to hear that things are better for you after completing your taper.

I am dealing with waves of insomnia, tinnitus, some cognitive issues, and muscle pain. I will be switching to a compounded liquid which will allow me to micro taper  and divide my doses more accurately (I pick it up in a week when I am back home). I'm hoping that my symptoms will calm down when I switch to micro tapering. It is so hard to dry cut lorazepam tablets.

Sending calming thoughts and vibes to all of us here on this thread. I'm praying for you.

Best,

Bibs Jo

Hey guys! New here and hoping for some advice.

I am in the midst of SSRI cold turkey withdrawal (2 months since last dose). Doctor gave me ativan .125mg 3 times a day to handle side effects. I have been consistently on this dose for about a month. I discovered I was dependent by missing my middle dose and dealing with body pain, leg pain/aches/restlessness and insomnia.

My SSRI withdrawal symptoms are slight insomnia, mild body aches/pains/fluish like symptoms, irritability, sensitivity to noise, anxiety, catastrophizing thoughts (mostly about how long withdrawal will last).

My question is - should I go ahead and start tapering Ativan while in the midst of SSRI withdrawal? Anybody gone through this?

I hate the way ativan makes me feel and the thought of staying on it long makes me so anxious but I do want to be smart.

Also, at .125mg 3 times a day, is water microdosing taper best?

I am in the midst of SSRI cold turkey withdrawal (2 months since last dose). Doctor gave me ativan .125mg 3 times a day to handle side effects. I have been consistently on this dose for about a month. I discovered I was dependent by missing my middle dose and dealing with body pain, leg pain/aches/restlessness and insomnia.

My SSRI withdrawal symptoms are slight insomnia, mild body aches/pains/fluish like symptoms, irritability, sensitivity to noise, anxiety, catastrophizing thoughts (mostly about how long withdrawal will last).

My question is - should I go ahead and start tapering Ativan while in the midst of SSRI withdrawal? Anybody gone through this?

I hate the way ativan makes me feel and the thought of staying on it long makes me so anxious but I do want to be smart.

It's entirely possible that you have not yet developed any dependence on Ativan.  The symptoms you felt might have been from the SSRI withdrawal since you didn't have the Ativan dose in you to cover those symptoms.

Whether the symptoms are from the SSRI or the Ativan, I think that you can begin a slow taper of Ativan whenever you (and your doc) feel you are ready to do so.

Beauty,

Thank you for popping back and leaving us an encouraging message! It really helps. I am so incredibly happy to hear that things are better for you after completing your taper.

I am dealing with waves of insomnia, tinnitus, some cognitive issues, and muscle pain. I will be switching to a compounded liquid which will allow me to micro taper  and divide my doses more accurately (I pick it up in a week when I am back home). I'm hoping that my symptoms will calm down when I switch to micro tapering. It is so hard to dry cut lorazepam tablets.

Sending calming thoughts and vibes to all of us here on this thread. I'm praying for you.

Best,

Bibs Jo

Bibs Jo, I think the liquid will take so much of the stress away from cutting such a small dose. You are so close! I am close too, which has me both scared and eager. Praying for ease as you proceed!

Hi Everybody,

Hi Taylor1, welcome back

I know this is a scary journey to embark on... fear has been an unwelcome companion for me along this journey. I am currently in a yucky wave, but I look at my journal, when I was at the start of my taper, feeling hopeless, and I’m shocked at the strength I didn’t know that I had. You will do great. As the Ashton Manual notes, a good way to start is to be confident, patient, and choose your own way. Don’t compare to others: find what works for you and set off on this journey to be free. It won’t be easy, but you can do it.

It’s good that you’re taking your doses 3x/day.... I have reduced evenly across each dose so my body remains somewhat stable. This has worked for me. The rate to reduce at is suggested between 5-10% every 1-2 weeks (Ashton Method). This is too fast for many, so maybe start slow and see how you do.

I have yo-yo’d a bit in my reductions, trying to find a sweet spot, but what I’ve found is that it changes a lot for me, so the switch from cut and hold to daily microtapering has helped me adjust my taper with much more precision. But everyone is different, and many have done it through cut and hold. Be open to shifting... you are in control.

Wishing you great success.... you’ve got this!  :)

Marwegs,

Thank you so much for your encouraging words and your helpful advice. I'm sorry to hear that you are in a yucky wave. I'm having a pretty rough time right now myself. You taking the time to help me when you're not feeling your best means a lot to me. Every time I start to think I might be able to start tapering I seem to have a really rough day, which kind of forces me to keep holding. Hopefully I can get up the nerve to get started soon.

Best wishes,

Taylor1

It's entirely possible that you have not yet developed any dependence on Ativan.  The symptoms you felt might have been from the SSRI withdrawal since you didn't have the Ativan dose in you to cover those symptoms.

Whether the symptoms are from the SSRI or the Ativan, I think that you can begin a slow taper of Ativan whenever you (and your doc) feel you are ready to do so.

Thank you so much! With the slow taper, would you recommend microtapering or dry cutting? I had someone prepare 2 separate schedules. Do you think it’s too fast? I am terrified! The thing that concerns me is how will I know if it’s withdrawals from ativan or withdrawals from the SSRI? When will I know I need to hold? Thank you so much!!

Currently, I’m at .125mg 3 times a day

Week 1 0.125mg 0.100mg 0.125mg

Week 2 0.100mg 0.100mg 0.125mg

Week 3 0.100mg 0.100mg 0.100mg

Week 4 0.100mg 0.075mg 0.100mg

Week 5 0.075mg 0.075mg 0.100mg

Week 6 0.075mg 0.075mg 0.075mg

Week 7 0.050mg x 3 = 0.15mg x 7 = 1.05mg

Week 8 0.025mg x 3 = 0.075mg x 7= 0.525mg

Week 9 0.025mg x 2(2doses a day) x7 = 0.350mg

Week 10 0.025mg x 1 dose a day x 7

STOP

OR—-

.375mg crushed mixed in 175ml

Day 1​​    175ml​​  remove 1ml​​    share 174ml

Day 2​​    175ml​​  remove 2ml​​    share 173ml

Day 3​​    175ml ​​  remove 3ml​​    share 172ml

And so on until you reach a low amount, say 25ml left, when you should be able to stop the taper.

0.375mg in 175ml gives 0.002mg/ml which adds up to 0.03mg every 15 days.

It's entirely possible that you may not be able to distinguish between the SSRI and Ativan withdrawals.  Doesn't really matter.  Your goal now is to taper Ativan slowly enough so that you successfully recover regardless of the source of your withdrawal.

I think the goal is to get stable then taper slowly.  Doesn't really matter if you want to do a dry or liquid taper as long as you go slowly and adjust the taper rate to accommodate your needs.  The first (dry) taper schedule looks pretty fast to me.  I'd set aside at least six months (and possibly a year) to do your taper. 

Hi Everyone,

Oh My Gosh. I just avoided a huge medical disaster. My Dr. called in my compounded liquid lorazepam. I decided that it would be a good idea to speak to the pharmacist directly to review the order. I told him exactly how much lorazepam I am taking today in pill form (.1875 mg in pill form), and he realized that my doctor had called in the wrong strength!

The Dr.'s order was 10 times stronger than what I was intending to take! I am so thankful the pharmacist caught the error. This could have knocked me back to where I started in December of 2018.

The reason that I am bringing this up here is to warn everyone to make sure your pharmacist understands what you are trying to accomplish. It's so important.

Sending everyone on here healing thoughts and prayers, and prayers for protection now too!

Best,

Bibs Jo

Bibs Jo,

Oh my gosh indeed.  I am so glad you thought to talk to the pharmacist and make sure everything was right.  It just re-confirms for me that what Dr. Ashton said is so true in so many ways, that we need to be in charge of our own tapers! This is truly a situation where we can't depend on anyone to take care of this for us (although it is wonderful to have all the support from each other that we have on this board).

Good for you for staying on top of things.  I'm celebrating with you.  :thumbsup:

Haimona

Now that is a great pharmacist! My doctor didn’t even know what strength to prescribe... my pharmacist told me what to tell her, then called me to confirm AGAIN once receiving the prescription. I have expressed to him how nice it is to have his support, as NO ONE else in my medical dealings have been able to.

A very good warning to others to be very unapologetic about triple checking these things!

What a blessing it is that he caught it! Feeling so relieved for and with you, Bibs!

😅😅

Hi All,

Basic question. Do all of us go through “acute  withdrawal” after we finish a slow taper? Or does the slow taper help us avoid acute withdrawal? I started on Benzos therapeutically in 2006, and have been slowly tapering since 12/2018. I’m getting towards the end thankfully, but want to prepare myself.

Thanks!

Bibs Jo

Good question, Bibs Jo.  I wonder too.

I've managed to move forward in my taper, thanks to the help of several very helpful forum members.  I am now using a scale to keep my doses even (not that easy, but still a lot better than eyeballing!) and have reduced by 2.93%, where I plan to stay for a week and then do a similar reduction again.  I figure if symptoms get noticeably worse, I'll hold for a while at any given point, but if not, I'll keep making these little reductions every week for a while, at least until I get down to .25.  I'm still having the same issues I've been having, but my spirits are lifted by forward momentum and all the support of this board.

I hope everyone is hanging in there.

Haimona

Hi All,

Basic question. Do all of us go through “acute  withdrawal” after we finish a slow taper? Or does the slow taper help us avoid acute withdrawal? I started on Benzos therapeutically in 2006, and have been slowly tapering since 12/2018. I’m getting towards the end thankfully, but want to prepare myself.

Thanks!

Bibs Jo

I think it's very individual.  Some walk off with little difficulty, others have acute even jumping from a very low dose.  I have been holding since May 1st at 0.1 mg ativan and still have waves.  I'm in a very uncomfortable one now that came on two hours ago after a pretty good and productive day.

I wish I knew the answer to your question. G.

Hi Bibs! No, all of us do not go through acute withdrawal. It absolutely can happen to anyone, but a slow taper gives you the best chance at a gentle landing and avoiding the nasty. I always told myself that staying on wasn’t an option, so whatever came after jump would just have to be endured. Somehow that helped me accept what was to come.

I was super thankful to not have had an acute withdrawal. In full transparency, I have had some waves. Praying that they ease up over time.

Best wishes to you. Stay strong, you’ve got this!

Beauty

Bibs, good question... it’s bringing me some anxiety, as I near the end too. Beauty, thanks for weighing in, we need to hear what it’s like so we can prepare. My vision went completely wonky tonight, and gave me quite a fright. Only lasted about 30 minutes, but I’m pretty shaken. I can’t believe, even on this low dose, how toxic this drug is to my brain.

Bibs, how is the liquid going? Have you switched yet?

Thanks Everyone,

(Haimona, Marwegs, Ginger, Bads, Beauty, and ALL)

It’s good to know that acute is possible but not a definite. I’m doing pretty good right now. The liquid compounded RX is supposed to be delivered today, so, hopefully I will switch over tomorrow morning. I’m praying for a smooth switch but understand I may need time to stabilize.

I’m staying positive and hanging onto and am so grateful for every good thing and moment in my life. This is the hardest thing I’ve ever done. My biggest source of strength is my Celebrate Recovery community that is praying me through this. I went last night, and received a “chip” for 11 months on this journey. (I had been tapering on my own before that without knowing that I was going through withdrawal). It was through this group that I found my benzo wise doctor to help me. I have 15 people praying for me and cheering me on, and this is an incredible source of strength. I want you to know that I am praying for all of you everyday as well.

I also spend time daily practicing coping and soothing skills. I sit outside every morning and pray, listen to worship music, practice Mindfulness meditation, breathing exercises, and qigong.

I am so grateful for all of you,

Bibs Jo

I'm thinking about moving from 0.75 mg - 1.0 mg Lorazepam to 0.5 mg Clonazepam and need help with how to crossover.

Is this advisable?

Can I do a straight crossover or do I need to start slower with the Clonazepam and taper down the Ativan?

My Dr knows nothing about all this, which is how I got into this mess.

I'm not stable on the Ativan.

I was in July but tapered too quickly, I didn't know what I was doing and had to reintroduce some.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!