Bioidentical progesterone cream causes withdrawal similar to benzo-

[do...]

I found some interesting info on a UK progesterone site:  http://www.npis.info/menopausenatural.htm

Dr Lee began to recommend a natural progesterone cream to some of his patients after hearing a talk by Ray Peat PhD, professor of Blake College, Oregon. One of the problems with natural progesterone is what to dissolve it in. It doesn’t dissolve well in alcohol, and the solvents that do work can be highly toxic. Ray Peat, who had been studying female hormones for many years, had ingeniously solved the problem by patenting a method for dissolving it in vitamin E. The resulting cream could be applied to the skin and absorbed into the body much more efficiently than taking it by mouth.

I knew that Dr. Lee had advocated bioid hormones, but this excerpt shows that he got his info from Dr. Peat!! 

So interesting. 

I think that after all my research, reading what's been posted and researched here that I am going to stay on natural progesterone 10 mg/day and maybe even bump that up to 20 mg/day depending on my sx.  This is the recommendation for menopausal women that I find repeatedly:

Once you have passed the menopause:  Apply 10-20mg of progesterone to any soft tissue of the body once or twice daily, each day of the month.

I'm going to also post this to my blog for the folks who visit me there.  I will have to contemplate this a bit, but right now I'm thinking no more progesterone taper for me. 

What do you all think????

I'm going to try to find the link, but I'm sure I've read that Dr. Peat does not encourage people to stay on his or any progesterone "for life" or long - term.

Maybe you could ask him about that??

I found some interesting info on a UK progesterone site:  http://www.npis.info/menopausenatural.htm

Dr Lee began to recommend a natural progesterone cream to some of his patients after hearing a talk by Ray Peat PhD, professor of Blake College, Oregon. One of the problems with natural progesterone is what to dissolve it in. It doesn’t dissolve well in alcohol, and the solvents that do work can be highly toxic. Ray Peat, who had been studying female hormones for many years, had ingeniously solved the problem by patenting a method for dissolving it in vitamin E. The resulting cream could be applied to the skin and absorbed into the body much more efficiently than taking it by mouth.

I knew that Dr. Lee had advocated bioid hormones, but this excerpt shows that he got his info from Dr. Peat!! 

So interesting. 

I think that after all my research, reading what's been posted and researched here that I am going to stay on natural progesterone 10 mg/day and maybe even bump that up to 20 mg/day depending on my sx.  This is the recommendation for menopausal women that I find repeatedly:

Once you have passed the menopause:  Apply 10-20mg of progesterone to any soft tissue of the body once or twice daily, each day of the month.

I'm going to also post this to my blog for the folks who visit me there.  I will have to contemplate this a bit, but right now I'm thinking no more progesterone taper for me. 

What do you all think?????

In the absence of any new evidence, i plan to stay on progesterone which I was on pre benzos. However, no-one can tell you this safe as there is minimal clinical research on long term bioid progeserone use.

Dr Peat has not published any peer reviewed human studies on this, (or any other aspects of his research) & as a scientist, I am unable to rely on any of his findings.  His advice regarding sugar contradicts many published studies which find that sugar increases glycation end products which are toxic to cells & promote accelerated aging.

Not telling anyone else who to follow but providing an opinion as requested.

Here's a study suggesting that long term HRT whether contraceptive or bioidentical, may be neuro-protective:

"Researchers conducted a cross-sectional review of 261 women (mean age, 52) in the Wisconsin Registry for Alzheimer's Prevention to determine if use of hormonal contraception influenced cognition later in life. Participants were evaluated with neuropsychological and genetic testing as well as a health history questionnaire based on that used in the Women's Health Initiative (WHI) Memory Study. Five domains were assessed: verbal ability, visuospatial ability, working memory, verbal learning and memory, and speed and flexibility. Participants were classified as never users or ever users of hormonal contraception and were stratified into years of hormone exposure (none, <5 years, 5 to <15 years, 15 years).

Both groups were similar in health characteristics, parental histories of AD, and the presence of the ApoE4 allele (a genetic risk factor for AD). After adjusting for age, socioeconomic status, education, and parity, ever use of hormonal contraception was associated with significantly higher scores in two domains: speed and flexibility, and visuospatial ability. Cognitive performance in all five domains improved, but not significantly, with increasing years of hormone exposure.

Comment: Despite its limited sample size and observational methodology (raising the possibility of a "healthy user" bias), this study of younger women lends support to the idea that use of exogenous hormones, whether for contraception or in the peri- and postmenopausal periods, might have certain long-term cognitive benefits."

Egan KR and Gleason CE. Longer duration of hormonal contraceptive use predicts better cognitive outcomes later in life. J Womens Health (Larchmt) 2012 Sep 20; [e-pub ahead of print]. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2012.3522)

Hi everyone!

as i said before i heard about Peat from a woman on this thread and i just starting reading all of his articles and also his forum. i am still researching his ideas and theory's. i liked all that i've read so far. i understand he has a quacky sort of view about nutrition of which i haven't gotten that far. i did know that his progesterone was dissloved in a Vitamon E with no other chemicals. as an Esthetician i am pretty familiar with ingredients especially propylene gylcol. it's in most skin care products and  (to me and from all that i've read about it) one of the highest toxin's. i would never put it on my skin let alone all over the soft tissue's and vaginally.  i've been using Peat's progesterone inserted vaginally and on my gums per instructions.

yes, i have been getting Peat's progest+E at that link arkofwellness.com i am in touch with Ann and she is Ray Peat inspired.

Hope56, if you want to try his Progest+E and get it from her, you can ask her any question you'd like. i think she does charge $150.00 for a consult/but i have asked a few questions and she emailed me back, very nice woman.

Sunny, i am not sure about if Peat says not to stay on it long term or to stay on it forever. from the articles i've read on his site, it seems he is a proponent of using progesterone all the time especially women in menopause but again here is the link to the directions on how to use his Progest+E --and i think it's worth getting his book "From PMS to Menopause"...

http://www.longnaturalhealth.com/sites/default/files/ProgestEInstructions.pdf

i would love to construct another email to Dr. Peat about this so i guess i will ask him if progesterone is cross tolerant with benzo's. and that we don't want to impact the up/regulation  of the Gaba.

and should i ask him anything about the HPA axis and the negative feedback loop? if so, how should i word it? only because i've asked twice now about progesterone and benzo's and he seems to be okay with using progesterone. maybe he doesn't know all about the benzo's but i did tell him about the down/reg and access glutamate.

i know he is not the only one who knows about this stuff. but he is the only one i know of right now. and it be worth it to check out his forum.

http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=914

i put the link all about the fish oils/omega's and PuFA's. i really think it's at least worth reading about his theories about the fish oils. it's mind boggling to me. and very upsetting of course as i have saturated myself with these fish oils thinking it was the healthy thing to do--which i totally understand mostly everyone thinks it is. and again, i am still in research about all of this. i still don't really know what to do?

pretty

i read that article you gave us Hope56. i really like it. everything points to having a natural progesterone.

i don't blame both you and I for not knowing what to do about this.

i am constructing an email to Peat now. i am putting everything in there. the HPA axis, the chloride channels that Persey spoke about, the cross tolerance, the negative feedback loop. i hope he answers everything or to our liking.

okay so what is "age spread"? the article that you gave us mentioned age spread? and i don't know what that is?

thanks, pretty

wow! i've just been reading through this whole thread and it definitely looks Peat inspired. i learned about Peat through Pentimento on this thread. i wrote that i would be getting Peat's progest+E and i would be back to tell everyone how it was going. and now i am still confused. although i did get off the prometrium (wild yam) like extremely easy and i was only taking 3mg. of Peat's progest+E inserted vaginally. so very little. and i have tapered from the vivelle dot (estradiol patch) from 0.1 mg. twice a week down to 0.5 mg every week.

so i guess that is pretty good. and yes, i am doing all of this without my doctor right now only because i am still unable to get up during the day or out of the house. i do think i've made a lot of progress healing as far as the benzo c/t w/d. my brain still does some pretty weird stuff that scares me. i am still uncertain about using Peat's progesterone. but that's where i'm at.

we will see what he says hopefully is he gets back to me about all my questions.

oh and i started Peat's progest+E on Dec. 1st/2012. and i got my period 3 days later and now i'm late. and i feel PMS-Y :tickedoff:

pretty

I spoke with the compounding pharmacist about the mix I'm on.  It is USP Progesterone from Mexican Yam.  It is mixed in polyethylene glycol (not propylene glycol)

Does anyone know what the type/source is in the Dr. Lee recommended Pro-Gest or the Dr. Peat recommended Kenogen Progest-E?

Thanks!

As long as the chemist has correctly compounded the progesterone molecule, USP progesterone should be identical to the hormone produced in our bodies. Progesterone can be compounded from a number of phytoactive plants but does need to be tweaked to become the bioidentical version which is why consuming the actual plants is not effective.

Propylene glycol is used in a lot of pharmaceutical preps including laxatives & other meds. Its main benefit is an osmotic gradient that increases the transport of the pharmaceutical into the cell.  I would need to see some published studies establishing that Dr Peat's compound is more bioavailable than progesterone with PEG, so will follow up on this.

well, i for one would love to know more about propylene glycol. i had heard it was used on car's as a degreaser and was one of the more harmful toxin's. i don't much about PEG's either as i do see them in skin care products and we were taught they were a toxin. i for one would love to be unafraid of using those two ingredients as they are in so many skin care products that i love but afraid to use now.

the ingredients in Peat's Progest+E "natural d-alpha tocopherol & mixed tocopherols, vegetable triglycerides, natural progesterone"

i thought this information might be good and will also answer Sunny's question about how long one should use progesterone.

Progesterone stimulates the ovaries and adrenals to produce progesterone, and it also activates the thyroid, so one dose can sometimes have prolonged effects. It shouldn't be necessary to keep using progesterone indefinitely, unless the ovaries have been removed. In slender post-menopausal women, 10 mg. per day is usually enough to prevent progesterone deficiency symptoms.

In a 10% solution of progesterone in vitamin E, one drop contains about three milligrams of progesterone. Normally, the body produces 10 to 20 milligrams per day. A dose of 3 or 4 drops usually brings the blood levels up to the normal range, but this dose can be repeated several times during the day if it is needed to control symptoms.

For general purposes, it is most economical and effective to take progesterone dissolved in vitamin E orally, for example taking a few drops on the lips and tongue, or rubbing it into the gums. (It is good for the general health of the gums.) These membranes are very thin, and the progesterone quickly enters the blood. When it is swallowed, the vitamin E allows it to be absorbed through the walls of the stomach and intestine, and it can be assimilated along with food, in the chylomicrons, permitting it to circulate in the blood to all of the organs before being processed by the liver. These droplets are smaller than red blood cells, and some physicians seem to forget that red blood cells pass freely through the liver"

i do have an very strange and too technical answer from Dr. Peat about all the questions i sent to him over our concerns about using progesterone. i posted it in my blog. i know a lot of people are not really into his theories so i didn't want to bombard this thread with them unless there are people who want me to post them?

pretty

There are grades of PEGs & one would hope that a compounding chemist making prescription products would use the medical grade but the regulation of compounding chemists appears to be pretty lax in the US.

Prometrium, (available on script) is the oral form of bio-identical micronized progesterone which has been shown in clinical trials to have good bioavailability.  Don't know how it compares cost-wise with Dr Peat's formula.  Also the lipid is peanut oil so you don't want to have a peanut allergy.  Peat does not say what lipids are used in his formula & vegetable triglycerides could be anything.  Unless he is using coconut oil, the inclusion of vegetable triglycerides which are generally PUFAs seems contrary to his advice to only consume saturated fats.

Thank you all for this continued and interesting discussion!!

Pretty - I went on your blog and read Dr. Peat's answer --  and ihope's translation (thanks!!)

ihope -- I appreciate your assurance that wild yam USP progesterone is fine.  Please read the info on this site and let me know your thoughts on it.    http://www.libertyzone.com/hz-Progesterone.html

After testing progesterone levels in thousands of women, Dr. Zava notes: "In response to your question about wild yam steroids - do they convert into progesterone? The answer is NO, there are no enzymes in the human body that will convert diosgenin, the active component of wild yams, into progesterone.

I keep reading this sort of thing which is complicating my dilemma.  AND I don't know if not wild yam, what is the other "natural progesterone"

Hope, it needs to say USP identical progesterone which means the compounded form, if your cream just contains wild yam extract then it may not be USP but ask the chemist who supplies it.

ihope - I spoke with the compounding pharmacist yesterday.  When I asked him the question he got the container and read to me "USP Progesterone from Mexican Yam" 

What other source of USP Progesterone is there?  What is "Natural Progesterone"?

Thanks for helping me understand all of this!

There are grades of PEGs & one would hope that a compounding chemist making prescription products would use the medical grade but the regulation of compounding chemists appears to be pretty lax in the US.

Prometrium, (available on script) is the oral form of bio-identical micronized progesterone which has been shown in clinical trials to have good bioavailability.  Don't know how it compares cost-wise with Dr Peat's formula.  Also the lipid is peanut oil so you don't want to have a peanut allergy.  Peat does not say what lipids are used in his formula & vegetable triglycerides could be anything.  Unless he is using coconut oil, the inclusion of vegetable triglycerides which are generally PUFAs seems contrary to his advice to only consume saturated fats.

I have been keeping out of this discussion because no one seemed to be interested in what I had to say about it before, but this is exactly why I have said previously that compounded hormones should be avoided because there is too much self-monitoring.

Frankly the only progesterone I would use is Prometrium (or it is call Utrogestan in other countries) because it is tested and approved. Compounded is not. Also estrodial (natural oestrogan) is also available on prescription and is tested and approved. You don't need to use compounded hormones at all, but it's thanks to the likes of Suzanne Somers and Oprah Winfrey who have made everyone believe that is the only way of getting "natural" hormones.

btw - in the some countries Utrogestan/Prometrium is licenced to be used vaginally, which is the way I use it. It bypasses the liver this way and goes right to the source, so to speak.

• Like 1

ihope - I spoke with the compounding pharmacist yesterday.  When I asked him the question he got the container and read to me "USP Progesterone from Mexican Yam" 

What other source of USP Progesterone is there?  What is "Natural Progesterone"?

USP is the only reliable term as it indicates the exact same progesterone molecule as our bodies produce. The term "natural" is meaningless, in this context.

USP progesterone can also be compounded from soy but the source is irrelevant so long as the correct molecule is produced.

I have been keeping out of this discussion because no one seemed to be interested in what I had to say about it before, but this is exactly why I have said previously that compounded hormones should be avoided because there is too much self-monitoring.

Frankly the only progesterone I would use is Prometrium (or it is call Utrogestan in other countries) because it is tested and approved. Compounded is not. Also estrodial (natural oestrogan) is also available on prescription and is tested and approved. You don't need to use compounded hormones at all, but it's thanks to the likes of Suzanne Somers and Oprah Winfrey who have made everyone believe that is the only way of getting "natural" hormones.

btw - in the some countries Utrogestan/Prometrium is licenced to be used vaginally, which is the way I use it. It bypasses the liver this way and goes right to the source, so to speak.

Hi Pam, neither of those preps is available in Oz, to my knowledge.  I have asked my Dr several times & searhed the menopause boards to no avail. How do you get your prometrium?

Hi ihope

Yes, it's very true that it's not available here, which makes me really angry because it is available in practically every other country in the world, even NZ. I have no idea what the reasoning is behind it. I've even emailed the Australasian Meno Society, but they never replied to me.

However, through some people I met on a meno forum, I found that it can be purchased online. There is one very reputable company I was put in touch with called Goldpharma, which is located in Europe. If you just do a google search, and then type "utrogestan" into the seach box, up it will come. Some of what is written there is in a European language, but when it comes to filling out the prescription requirements, it's all in English.

They have prescribing doctors who will check and dispense the Utrogestan. I was concerned about whether customs would allow it into Australia, but it always comes in an unmarked package and I've never had any problems getting it. I think also, because it's probably regarded as a "natural" product, it's not like buying a chemical type drug from overseas.

The brand I buy is Sied 100mg x 30 capsules. I just bought two packets the other day (60 x 100mg) and it cost me about $39 (incl postage), which is incredibly cheap. It usually takes around 2-3 weeks arrive.

There are a couple of different ways to use it. Like I said some countries licence it to be used vaginally as well as orally (France is one that I know of). My Biology phd friend and I use it every 2nd month x 200mg vaginally for 10 days. That gives a light bleed after a few days which (for me) last about 3 days. Some other women use it monthly x 100mg for 10 days and that gives them a monthly bleed.

There is another method which some use which is to use it on a continuous method. I tried this method but I didn't have a lot of luck with it. What you are supposed to do is use 100mg on alternate days, and that is supposed to give you a period-free regime. However, I kept getting a bleed every few weeks, so I gave up on that method.

However, I have just sent an email to my biology friend to ask her for her opinion on taking is orally every other day. She's not in favour of taking any hormones orally, however I figure that taking it vaginally means that maybe I'm getting "too much" progesterone and that is triggering the bleeds. If I take it orally maybe less would get to "the source", so to speak.

Another method I've just asked her about is cutting the capsule. They are impossible to cut though as it is a liquid suspension, but I wondered how freezing the capsule would affect the prog. Then if the capsule could be cut in half I could try 50mg vaginally on alternate days. I don't know if that sounds like a stupid idea, but I'm keen to hear her opinion on it.

Very interesting, thanks, Pam. Since I am menopausal, I have been on continuous with no bleeds & this has been great psychologically as have been feeling mostly calm & balanced but am wondering if I am underwriting the benzo withdrawal by having higher prog levels than is otherwise desirable.

The limited evidence does not support Dr Peat's theory that there's no such thing as too much prog.

Also read that some MDs think prog increases bloating, which is a biggie for me right now.

Will order the prometrium & experiment.

As for our lack of choices downuder, apathy rules, would be so much easier to be menopausal male seeking a viagra scrip.

Too true.  Maybe I gave up too quickly with the AMS. I might try sending them a proper letter this time, instead of just an email. There is no justification whatsoever why it shouldn't be available here. I could understand if it was just available in a couple of countries, because Aust tends to be quite strict about what is allowed here, but from my understanding it is at least available in Europe, UK, USA, Canada, Asia and NZ. So what's the problem? As far as I'm aware it is known as Prometrium only USA (perhaps Canada). Every other country seems to call it Utrogestan.

What sort of continuous are you on? Are you using the synthetic or the compounded prog? I'm currently using a separate oestradiol plus the Utrogestan, but I'm getting tired of having the periods because I'm almost 54, even though it's only every 2 months and it's only for a few days. So that's why I'm keen to try the continuous method with the Utrogestan again. Although I'm not certain about having the continuous prog.

I'm not sure about all this talk about progesterone. From my understanding, when you are menopausal at least, the only real benefit is to keep the uterine lining healthy. If you don't have a uterus most women I know of don't even use it. At the moment I'm only using it every two months. It always seems to me that the more important thing is the oestradiol.

I know progesterone does have other benefits, but I honestly think people are getting too obsessed with all this talk about prog creams, most of which I wonder if it has any real benefits or not, or if it is has any proper testing (blind or otherwise) to really establish its benefits, or even if it is safe to use, or if they are using the correct dose. A lot of what I'm seeing is people selling products, simply to make money out of it.

It's true that the main purpose is to protect the uterine lining from unopposed oestrogen. I am also on compounded oestrogen, (both transdermal). I have always been very oestrogen sensitive, had big trouble with contraceptive pills, bad morning sickness yadah yadah, so started on progesterone in my 30s & have found it has acted as a balancing hormone for me for the last 20 years.

However, am now wondering if I have overdosed during withdrawals, (will find out blood levels next week), as even vaginal delivery does not necessarily deliver even doses.

I think Peat's idea of taking "as needed" to feel better is very risky but it also appears that like all hormones, one size does not fit all.

I’m very lucky that I didn’t have any hormonal problems prior to meno. Then “I thought” the problem I had was synthetic prog intolerance, but now I’m not certain about that. The symptoms I was getting could have been because I was trying to decrease my valium dose too quickly, and that was causing the s/x and not the actual progestin.

The only way I will know is to wait until I’m totally off valium and then experiment again. However, while I’m tempted to just make my life easy by going back onto a PBS approved combined HRT, I’m reluctant to take the continuous prog anyway, now that I’ve been using the Utrogestan. So I really want to try to work out a conti routine with the Utro. It would be wonderful if it was available in a cream or reservoir patch. Maybe one day it will be.

i was also using the prometrium. as far as i know i think that's the only name for it where i live anyway. i guess i really liked it. i was using it vaginally the 1st of the month to the middle. i tapered off the prometrium very nicely when i got on Peat's progesterone. ( and i doubt he would use any PUFA's in his ingredient the way he talks about them) anyway. i have totally been off prometrium for about a month and i am late for my period.

so i don't know what's going on either?

i was so afraid to use to much of Peat's progesterone that i haven't been using very much. i had been using about 3 mg. vaginally every night. but have stopped that the last 3 nights as i think it's causing me to feel very numb down there and not useful for anything else and that's really annoying me. i am hoping it's not my brain making me numb but i am kinda numb everywhere else right now too. sure makes me wonder about this whole MS deal during this w/d?

i have a lot of healing to do and a long way to go. and no one answered my new post about my new "liver issues" on the w/d thread. i was so unbelievable sick today after eating certain foods i thought i would have to go to ER but then thought the only thing that could make me feel better would be a benzo so i had to ride it out--new symptom that popped up i guess.

hey, i am just a girl who is trying to find the answers here too. i read the articles that Peat wrote about progesterone, estrogen, DHEA and Pregnenolone and some of his other articles. i guess some of his stuff spoke to me.

i am not sure if his progesterone is working? and the prometrium was working for me. so i really don't know what i am going to do? i wish i was more versed in all of this. and i am still scared too about using progesterone during a benzo w/d.

i hope that i am young enough to get off everything right now/heal up/and see where my hormones are after i am healed and then decided if i want to be on anything. y'know? that could be an option for me. but i also wish to know about all this stuff and just easily float into using things i know will be good for me for the rest of my life.

USP is the only reliable term as it indicates the exact same progesterone molecule as our bodies produce. The term "natural" is meaningless, in this context.

USP progesterone can also be compounded from soy but the source is irrelevant so long as the correct molecule is produced.

Thank you -- you have been very helpful!

i was also using the prometrium. as far as i know i think that's the only name for it where i live anyway. i guess i really liked it. i was using it vaginally the 1st of the month to the middle. i tapered off the prometrium very nicely when i got on Peat's progesterone. ( and i doubt he would use any PUFA's in his ingredient the way he talks about them) anyway. i have totally been off prometrium for about a month and i am late for my period.

so i don't know what's going on either?

i was so afraid to use to much of Peat's progesterone that i haven't been using very much. i had been using about 3 mg. vaginally every night. but have stopped that the last 3 nights as i think it's causing me to feel very numb down there and not useful for anything else and that's really annoying me. i am hoping it's not my brain making me numb but i am kinda numb everywhere else right now too. sure makes me wonder about this whole MS deal during this w/d?

i have a lot of healing to do and a long way to go. and no one answered my new post about my new "liver issues" on the w/d thread. i was so unbelievable sick today after eating certain foods i thought i would have to go to ER but then thought the only thing that could make me feel better would be a benzo so i had to ride it out--new symptom that popped up i guess.

hey, i am just a girl who is trying to find the answers here too. i read the articles that Peat wrote about progesterone, estrogen, DHEA and Pregnenolone and some of his other articles. i guess some of his stuff spoke to me.

i am not sure if his progesterone is working? and the prometrium was working for me. so i really don't know what i am going to do? i wish i was more versed in all of this. and i am still scared too about using progesterone during a benzo w/d.

i hope that i am young enough to get off everything right now/heal up/and see where my hormones are after i am healed and then decided if i want to be on anything. y'know? that could be an option for me. but i also wish to know about all this stuff and just easily float into using things i know will be good for me for the rest of my life.

Good Morning PD -- if you were using the usual dose of prometrium 100 mg and are now using Peat's 3 mg I think that you would see a difference. 

Even if the progesterone in each formula are the same, the dosages you were/are taking are very different. 

BTW: I get really sick from some foods - dairy, onions and peppers.  I used to eat these freely and enjoyed them.  Miss them now.  Would love to have a cup of hot cocoa!!  Oh well...  I'll go read your recent post.

ihope and Pam -- It seems to me from what I've read that 100 mg is way too much progesterone for a menopausal women.  I was prescribed and have read that 10 - 20 mg/day is the correct dosage.