The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

Good luck today mm! I'm sure everything will turn out just fine. ❤❤

It sucked DD, but I think the echo was fine.  The room was just really small and with the mask on, it just didn't feel like there was enough air in there.  I had to lay on my side with my arm under my head, which caused the mask to keep creeping up in my left eye.  Ugh  :). Thank goodness it's over. 

Thanks for thinking of me!  LY 🙋🏼🙋🏼🙋🏼😘😘😘

Oh Mm,

I'm sorry. That's sounds horrible! I understand, I've struggled with the mask and feeling like I'm suffocating. Well, thank goodness the echo is over and you can relax, I know the waiting is torture. I'm glad your health is good. I hate the dreaded dr appointments. Between covid and bwd kt sucks bad!! L9ve you dd

Hi all  :hug: I'm having a go at making this as its simple plus we're supposed to avoid yeast as its ''Free glutamate''  which is  :D :D :D in withdrawal, but ''Bound glutamate'' isn't a problem for us  at all, its the ''Free' you need to  try avoid, although some people may be OK with it or a small amount a time, but personally I'd rather try and avoid it. 

And its quick simple and easy, plus it looks tasty too!!  :) And I miss bread!!!!  :tickedoff: Got it from here....  https://www.recipetineats.com/easy-soft-flatbread-yeast/  I also cut the amount down to 1/3 of all the ingredients as the full recipe would be way too much for just me, as it makes 4 large pieces, and thought maybe some of you would like to give it a try as its quick and easy to do  :thumbsup: Will let you know how mine turns out  ;)

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Stack of easy soft flatbread no yeast

Easy Soft Flatbread (No Yeast)

Author: Nagi | RecipeTin Eats

Prep: 5 mins

Cook: 10 mins

Total: 15 mins

Flatbread

Greek, Mediterranean

Servings 4 large pieces

Recipe video above. The dough for this recipe is ridiculously easy to make with only a minute or two of kneading. The bread is soft and pliable so it's perfect for using as a wrap, stuffed with whatever takes your fancy. It's also a great make ahead recipe - the dough keeps for around 3 days. See NOTES for substitutions, including using GLUTEN FREE flour. 30 minute resting time.

Recipe VIDEO below.

Ingredients

2 cups / 300g plain flour (all purpose flour) (level cups, unsifted, not packed), + keep 1/4 cup extra for dusting & adjusting dough

1/2 tsp salt

3 1/2 tbsp / 50g butter (1.75 oz)

3/4 cup / 185 ml milk

1/2 tbsp oil (for cooking)

Instructions

Combine butter and milk and heat until butter is just melted - on stove or in microwave.

Combine 2 cups flour, salt, butter and milk.

Sprinkle work surface with flour then knead for a few minutes until it is smooth - it doesn't need much kneading. Add extra flour if the dough is too sticky.

Wrap with cling wrap and rest at room temperature for 30 minutes or so.

Dust bench top with flour, cut dough into 4 pieces, roll into balls, then roll out into about 1/8" / 0.3cm thick rounds.

Heat 1/2 tbsp olive oil in a non stick pan over medium heat - or lower if you have a heavy based skillet. (Note 1)

Place one flatbread in the pan, cook for around 1- 1 1/2 minutes - it should bubble up (see photo in post)- then flip and cook the other side, pressing down if it puffs up. There should be a smallish golden brown spots on both sides.

Stack the cooked bread and keep wrapped with a tea towel - the moisture helps soften the surface, making them even more pliable.

Continue to cook with remaining pieces.

Optional: Brush or spray bread with olive oil or melted butter, for a more luxurious finish. Or even with melted butter mixed with minced garlic for a garlic butter version!

Recipe Notes:

1. Higher heat and the thinner the dough = crispier crust, though still pliable inside, the thin crispy crust on the outside might crack when you roll it. This is how I make naan. The larger darker brown spots on the bread (see image in post) make it look like authentic naan, just like what you get at Indian restaurants!

2. STORING: Dough keeps in the refrigerator for around 3 days. Tip: Roll out the rounds, ready to cook. Just make sure you use baking paper or cling wrap to keep the pieces separated, flour will not suffice.

Cooked breads keep really well in the freezer!

3. Works great with WHOLE WHEAT flour, does not work with almond flour. See note 4 for Gluten Free.

4. Dairy free / vegan substitutions: A reader tried the original recipe then reported back that it also worked just as great substituting the butter with olive oil and almond milk for the dairy milk to make it a vegan / dairy free version. Brilliant! Another reader has also made this with coconut oil and reported it works great.

5. This works pretty well with Gluten Free flour. You may need a bit of extra flour to roll it out - just add more as required. The texture is a bit different - a bit chewy, and you may not be able to roll them out into neat rounds like pictured.

6. Use this for: Gyros, Souvlaki, as naan for curries like Butter Chicken, Chickpea Curry or Beef Rendang.

7. Recipe source: Flatbread by Julie Goodwin.

8. UPDATE: Recipe quantity halved following reader feedback and because I find myself making half batches more often too!

9. Nutrition per flatbread.

Easy Soft Flatbread (No Yeast) Nutrition

Hi all  in  the LHSG  gang  :hug: new members, old members, and  members  heh!heh!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I  hope everyone's coping as well as possibly can given their individual circumstances, I was seriously effed up in agony all day yesterday and am putting it down to pure Organic  Shea butter that I bought to try on my withdrawal induced eczema, ultra dry flaky skin, and reptile patches of skin along with skin peeling and splitting.

BUT....it also could have  possibly been the rubbing on of the Shea butter as  IDK, :-\ as my central nervous system does NOT like my body or skin  being rubbed or scratched the pain and disabling symptoms just rubbing my skin is unreal!! Normal movement is also hell, but I have to move or die as I live alone, no help or support so its just lil' ole' me keeping me alive  :P  Can't comb or brush my hair for the same reason my scalp is supper sensitive too  :D   

Well I did the flat bread, it turned our delicious but unfortunately my body has decided it doesn't like white wheat  flour at the moment and  flared me up :( BUT....I am not giving up completely I have Spelt flour wholemeal and plain so when I feel a  better, I am going to give it a try with the Spelt instead of wheat flour, shame as it was delicious. I cooked mine in some Butter and Flax oil in place of the olive oil as you only need a very small amount of oil.

I have lot of Olive oil here  from Spain and Greece but ..THAT flared me up back a few months ago, after many year's of no problems with it, but what I do with food I have to cut out is back off leave it for a while then when I get brave enough try it again and some of the time its OK to eat again but I do have a list of food that may as well be 1000% Alcohol for the awful effects it has on me and definitely have to avoid them indefinitely    :(

Love Nova xxxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I'm back home and have never felt so exhausted, mentally and physically. The whole thing threw me into a mini-wave.

Jwl I think you're having one of the hardest experiences a person can go through. Be easy on yourself and practice a lot of self care like doing things that make you feel better. Rest as long as you need and listen to your body and do things that can make you feel better. Maybe allow yourself to lay on the couch watching TV for a few days until you feel rested enough to recharge woking in your garden. I hope your daughter finds the strength to stay away from the bad stuff.

Trishy I really hope your daughter is recovering well from her operation.

Mary I'm glad to see you posting again, I hope that means you're feeling a bit better.

Dehytq I hope you're stabilizing from the gabapenting  cut.

Stutt we miss you so much but I'm so glad you're having fun in Limerick. I hope this second wave isn't too hard on health professionals. I hope your daughter, Daisy and Muffins are doing well and you're all taking care of each other.

Kitsune I watch the news and I see how bad the fires are over there in the US. I really hope your house is safe. Sending prayers your way.

Olive Kitty I hope you´re adapting well to your new flat mates. Remember you don't find a cat, the cat finds you, so it'll come when the time is right  ;)

Trotschetter I hope you're having some windows and enjoying some walks and biking with less pain.

To everyone else in the group, as we're so many I can't name everyone or I'd forget someone but I'm glad we all believe in the benefits of  holding and we're all here supporting each other for as long as it takes.

Yesterday I went to the mountains about an hour from where I live. It was amazing. I'm a bit less fearful so I've decided to do that more often from now on. My daughter was thrilled. The mountain was just magical. I'll hold for as long as it takes, but I'm not going to miss my daughter's teenage years to a stubborn taper. I'm finally starting to be able to enjoy a bit our plans in nature so I want more of this with her. Today of course I have more sxs after walking a long walk uphill, but it was so worth it.

I'm back home and have never felt so exhausted, mentally and physically. The whole thing threw me into a mini-wave.

Jwl I think you're having one of the hardest experiences a person can go through. Be easy on yourself and practice a lot of self care like doing things that make you feel better. Rest as long as you need and listen to your body and do things that can make you feel better. Maybe allow yourself to lay on the couch watching TV for a few days until you feel rested enough to recharge woking in your garden. I hope your daughter finds the strength to stay away from the bad stuff.

Trishy I really hope your daughter is recovering well from her operation.

Mary I'm glad to see you posting again, I hope that means you're feeling a bit better.

Dehytq I hope you're stabilizing from the gabapenting  cut.

Stutt we miss you so much but I'm so glad you're having fun in Limerick. I hope this second wave isn't too hard on health professionals. I hope your daughter, Daisy and Muffins are doing well and you're all taking care of each other.

Kitsune I watch the news and I see how bad the fires are over there in the US. I really hope your house is safe. Sending prayers your way.

Olive Kitty I hope you´re adapting well to your new flat mates. Remember you don't find a cat, the cat finds you, so it'll come when the time is right  ;)

Trotschetter I hope you're having some windows and enjoying some walks and biking with less pain.

To everyone else in the group, as we're so many I can't name everyone or I'd forget someone but I'm glad we all believe in the benefits of  holding and we're all here supporting each other for as long as it takes.

Yesterday I went to the mountains about an hour from where I live. It was amazing. I'm a bit less fearful so I've decided to do that more often from now on. My daughter was thrilled. The mountain was just magical. I'll hold for as long as it takes, but I'm not going to miss my daughter's teenage years to a stubborn taper. I'm finally starting to be able to enjoy a bit our plans in nature so I want more of this with her. Today of course I have more sxs after walking a long walk uphill, but it was so worth it.

Vali, what a great post to everyone this morning  :D :D.  It is so great you got out in nature with your daughter.  You can hear how much you enjoyed it in your voice, and your daughter's enjoyment.

So happy you are feeling some better , you deserve it after what you have been through and all the responsibilities you have.  You go girlfriend  :laugh: :laugh:  Please stay safe, LY 🙋🏼🙋🏼. 😘😘😘

🙏🙏. 😷😷♥️.    🌳🌲🌳🌲🌳🌳🌳🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🍀☘️🍃🌱🌿🌿.   

Mary  ;)

Hi Val,

Nice to see you taking over from Stut, while she's enjoying her holiday.

So glad you're starting to enjoy life a little again. You're right to get out when you feel able. Being outdoors does us all a ton of good.

My ankle doesn't bother me that much, the bruised rib is still causing pain.

Walking isn't much fun at the moment,  but I love my daily bike rides. Over the last 2,5 months I did some 700 km. My leg muscles have become quite a bit bigger and stronger.

Wishing you a long lasting window!

Love. TS

Hey v!

Glad you are getting out in Nature!  I would love to be in the mountains right now! I'll settle for my walking spot. I'd have to go to NH to see mountains. I'll go to the ocean soon when it doesnt cost a fortune to park. I'm about 10 minutes from the beach! I'm doing good. Some different anxiety, but I know it not real and will stop,I just ignore the thoughts till they fall away. I'm not engaging with it, it ruins my day. I went to the gym. They have a massage chair and hydro bed, omg! Its feels so good! I did the eliptycal, only 10 minutes because  I was nervous. It was safe. No body really in there and everyone is far away from eachother. The only problem I have is I really cant breath with the mask on. It terrible. But glad I went. Love you! Glad your ok!

Hey v!

Glad you are getting out in Nature!  I would love to be in the mountains right now! I'll settle for my walking spot. I'd have to go to NH to see mountains. I'll go to the ocean soon when it doesnt cost a fortune to park. I'm about 10 minutes from the beach! I'm doing good. Some different anxiety, but I know it not real and will stop,I just ignore the thoughts till they fall away. I'm not engaging with it, it ruins my day. I went to the gym. They have a massage chair and hydro bed, omg! Its feels so good! I did the eliptycal, only 10 minutes because  I was nervous. It was safe. No body really in there and everyone is far away from eachother. The only problem I have is I really cant breath with the mask on. It terrible. But glad I went. Love you! Glad your ok!

Good job DD, so proud of you!!  It is hard doing anything but walking with those masks on, but looks like we will have to .  You went to the gym, you rock !    🙋🏼🙋🏼🙋🏼😘😘😷😷😷😷

Thanks for your concern V.

I think my daughter is serious about getting her health in order. She had an operation where the doc put CO2 in her abdomen and pushed her organs into her rib cage and ever since she's been having health problems like fainting and even seizures. I think he may have damaged her vagus nerve. Like me she's been poly drugged but thank goodness she's not on benzos or pain killers because she saw what it did to me.

Yes I'm just going to take it easy for a few days. Walked out to my garden this morning and found a zucchini a foot and a half long! ;D Some of the plants are taller than me now.

Nice you could spend some time in nature. I find it so soothing to the mind and spirit.

Vali, thank you. ❤️ Most of the evacuations have been lifted and they are making good progress on the fires here. I am so grateful for the courage and hard work of our firefighters. Staying ready to go if things change as fire season is not over until November, but hopeful things won’t change for the worst.

I hope you are doing ok. ❤️❤️❤️

I haven't posted in a while , I have been feeling okay. The afternoons are really good.

Yesterday I overdid. We drove 1hour away to take the kids to some outdoor zip lines. I stood up for 3 hours to watch my 5 year old son. I was tired by the end of the day. It was a long trip. Today I have heart palpitations and weakness.

Hopefully it will pass.

How do you know that you are stable enough to cut?

I am 2 months out.

I haven't posted in a while , I have been feeling okay. The afternoons are really good.

Yesterday I overdid. We drove 1hour away to take the kids to some outdoor zip lines. I stood up for 3 hours to watch my 5 year old son. I was tired by the end of the day. It was a long trip. Today I have heart palpitations and weakness.

Hopefully it will pass.

I am 2 months out.

I’ll be honest, when I started my second taper from 4 mg, I wasn’t 100% stable, but I was good enough and wanted to get the show on the road. Stable for me means that symptoms are not overwhelming and unmanageable.

Hopefully it will pass.

I am 2 months out.

After my reinstatement, I held for 6 months. I like to err on the side of caution. Better to take a little extra time than to risk a taper full of symptoms. I would not let fear of tolerance or your impatience to get off of benzos be the factor driving your decision.

I am worried that the longer I wait the harder it is to get off due to receptor adaptation

I also read that some people who re instated valium never felt good on it again. What if this will be as good as it will get for me?

The way I look at it, the only way is off, whether it happens sooner or later is different for us all. These drugs will eventually turn on most of us. I think many of us go through tolerance at some point and I think tolerance is simply where the drug stops doing what you were taking it for. In my case, anxiety, and at my dose it does nothing for me, but I know I can’t just stop taking it. There are people who have been on benzos for decades and successfully come off. I think what makes it harder is people rushing their taper and not listening to what their body is telling them.

I am worried that the longer I wait the harder it is to get off due to receptor adaptation

I also read that some people who re instated valium never felt good on it again. What if this will be as good as it will get for me?

Receptor adaptation is another word for receptor down regulation which is another word for tolerance. I think all of us have reassured you that it will not happen.

You never know if it's as "good as it gets" until you keep holding. I would not let that be a reason to start tapering.

Jwl, kit

You are both right

When I feel good. I am thinking "what is the rush to get off it?" When I feel bad, I think "it will get worse if I don't get off it"

I will hold.

Today, i have to some hard time catching my breath and feel easily over stimulated. I can't believe to feel so weak at 45.

Does having good days and bad days part of the stabilization?

Jasmine, you will have good and bad days while stabilizing and while tapering. It’s the nature of the beast, but going slow and being careful and holding as long as you need will all help you feel better. I totally understand what you mean about feeling so weak, I’m 35 and I barely have energy to keep up with my son or do things around the house. Sometimes it just feels impossible, but I get up and do it anyway.

I've been on Xanax for over 20 yrs and my highest dose was 3 mgs which I was on for probably half those years and I am tapering successfully, albeit very slowly but none the less I'm doing it. To paint a better picture for you about how far down I've come from 3 mgs I was on 12 pills of Xanax a day in its lowest dose. I am now on a little less than 4 pills a day. That's a whole lot of Xanax gone. It will probably take me a few more years to get off it but I'm ok with that. Would I like to be off sooner sure but that's not feasible my body can't go fast with this. My biggest worry is losing my Dr to prescribe to me as in possibly retiring or godforbid dying. Finding Drs to prescribe this med is not easy bc of all the stigma attached to benzos. We are victims in my opinion of the healthcare system and the negligence of Drs who incorrectly prescribe these drugs while we unwittingly swallow them bc the Dr said we needed them everyday. These drugs should only be used sparingly not daily.

Anyway, don't lose hope bc many have gotten off these drugs after decades of being on them. I believe if you withdrawal slowly it doesn't matter how long you've been on them.

Trishy ❤️

Hey Mary, my twinny miss you guys! Hope you guys are well. I haven't been on much but I think of you always. Love you wonderful ladies.

Love to everyone in the group! Thinking of everyone here and hoping you're all doing well. I haven't been reading much here either so I'm not sure how it's going but I'm sending the group good thoughts and sending up those 🙏 for everyone.

Stay well my friend's,

Trishy 🙋‍♀️❤️

[89...]