Jordan Peterson's year of 'absolute hell': Professor forced to retreat....

[co...]

It is interesting how many people fall victim to their faith in doctors. To me it seems he heavily relied on them even though he was likely quite capable of understanding medical literature himself. I was the same way. I just trusted they were experts. Since then I've found they cannot even answer some of the most basic questions about the most commonly prescribed drugs (ie. how much better is this drug than a placebo? How do you know the benefit exceeds the risk for this drug?) Once you start learning yourself and asking questions you realize that doctors are often just pretending to know what they are doing (or they are just following guidelines). He really had his faith shattered in the worst way.

I have seen some doctors on social media claiming he fell victim to pseudoscience. I agree he did, but it was the pseudoscience of western medicine, where they prescribe drugs tested for 3 months for years without any evidence the patient will benefit. That was the source of every disaster. If they had any level of honesty or humility they would admit that. But they don't.

Excellent post. This just illustrates how clueless most people are about the truth behind prescription drugs and how susceptible we all are to having blind faith in so called "authorities".

If the average person understood how poorly these drugs are tested and more importantly what the consequences can be of ingesting chemicals we know so little about, Big Pharma would become little pharma in the blink of an eye.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [La...]

• [Fl...]

• [id...]

• [Fi...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Other posters have said that his daughter is aware of BIC. He and his daughter are not idiots. They are almost guaranteed to be aware of the issue. If he doesn’t speak out, then he should remove the “Tell The Truth” chapter from his book.

There is a difference between telling the truth and activism. I suspect that he will tell the truth about what happened to him. I'm hoping he becomes and activist or at least speaks out in some way, but I'm not holding my breath for that and I'm not going to hold it against him if he doesn't. Life is complicated, and becoming a benzo warrior isn't for everyone.

I didn’t say he had to become a board member of BIC and dedicate his life to benzo justice. But if he paints this as a one-off rare situation knowing the truth about benzos and other psych meds (which I’m positive he and his daughter do now), then I will view the man differently. You do what you want.

The only issue I have, is that Mikhaila said that Klonopin is worse than other benzos, which is an inaccurate statement. And I am basing this on my own experience with Ativan.

From what I can tell that family still has a lot to learn about benzos. Like many of us here, now that he is incapacitated JP probably has a lot of time on his hands to dig into the issue to figure out what really went wrong so if they keep digging it probably won't take long for them to get up to speed.

Yes, and if Mikhaila watched that BIC video by the nurse practitioner, then she'll have learned quite a bit right there. There's so much good info available now -- much more than ever before.

Yes, and if Mikhaila watched that BIC video by the nurse practitioner, then she'll have learned quite a bit right there. There's so much good info available now -- much more than ever before.

There isn't a better springboard to the benzo community than BIC. It sounds like they have gotten a lot of misinformation to this point. Hopefully that leads them down the right path.

There isn't a better springboard to the benzo community than BIC. It sounds like they have gotten a lot of misinformation to this point. Hopefully that leads them down the right path.

Exactly.

[0d...]

Yes, cantfly, from what I can tell, the news got around. He has an international profile due to his touring. Actually, I watched an "interesting" Australian interview that he did. A bit...um...unusual.

I just tracked it down again here:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  Loved it    :thumbsup:

Yes, cantfly, from what I can tell, the news got around. He has an international profile due to his touring. Actually, I watched an "interesting" Australian interview that he did. A bit...um...unusual.

lol, I saw that the other week..!! -It was a bit funny..

Though I did get the feeling comedy wasn’t quite his forte. I wouldn’t say a fish out of water, but he wasn’t swimming free in the ocean either... I guess he has a lot to be cautious about too, lest a mis-step be pounced upon at some point in time...

:)

[0d...]

lol, I saw that the other week..!! -It was a bit funny..

Though I did get the feeling comedy wasn’t quite his forte. I wouldn’t say a fish out of water, but he wasn’t swimming free in the ocean either... I guess he has a lot to be cautious about too, lest a mis-step be pounced upon at some point in time...

:)

Yep two very very very different people, fish out of water stuff. 

was comedy after all  and that comes in many forms, 

guess I had better  go  tidy my room

if Im ever going to use this benzo brain normally again

and solve this problem for me right now  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yes, if I weren't so dizzy from my benzos and SSRIs, I'd clean my room too! But alas....

Thanks for the feedback, Skyblue and cantfly. I wasn't sure what to make of it.  ;D

The only issue I have, is that Mikhaila said that Klonopin is worse than other benzos, which is an inaccurate statement. And I am basing this on my own experience with Ativan.

From what I can tell that family still has a lot to learn about benzos. Like many of us here, now that he is incapacitated JP probably has a lot of time on his hands to dig into the issue to figure out what really went wrong so if they keep digging it probably won't take long for them to get up to speed.

I agree...a lot to learn!

Personally, since I first recognized what was happening to me, thanks to finding the Ashton Manual on the Internet in 2013, I'm STILL LEARNING about these drugs.

From what Mikhaila did say in the video, it leads me to believe that she has been doing some/a lot of homework. I'm sure her father has been doing what he can as regards research into these drugs.

I'm curious as to how he is doing. I really feel for him and anyone going through a cold turkey. Although, it is my understanding that we still do not know if he is currently taking a benzo or not. Regardless, it does sound like his CNS and brain went through some serious trauma as a result of benzos.

I only wish I had information on these drugs sooner than I did. And I know many here on BB also have had a similar experience as myself...NOT getting the facts soon enough so as to avoid the serious complications that can arise, as a result of what  these drugs are truly capable of on a grand scale.

I was thinking the same thing as you FloridaGuy...JP is going to have a lot of time to reflect on what even hit him. It is strange how long and drawn out this process is for many of us...and that the only place to even be understood is on a support forum with people going through it. How strange is that?? I wouldn't doubt if JP is already amongst us.lol This whole ordeal has been like reading a science fiction book. :)

Jordan Peterson's daughter Mikhaila did indeed watch the Benzo Information coalition video.  Under the video on youtube she posted "Thank you. Spot on."  She also included their video in her twitter feed.

It's interesting that his daughter acknowledged the video because it seems like almost everything that Jordan Peterson and his family did was contrary to the video and the BIC website.  The physician's assistant in the video was very diplomatic and did not point any fingers or in any way blame the Petersons.  But from what she says is pretty clear that the Petersons did the worst things possible.

In the daughters most recent video on Feb 7, 2020 (

) she said that they had tried tapering and microtapering and it did not work.  So they may well have been exposed to some of the things favored here.  She did not go into the specifics.  I don't know if they tried it at home or in one of the hospitals that he was in.  But given this fact I would not expect her to come around and embrace tapering, microtapering, or the Ashton protocal.  Doing so would almost be an admission that bringing him to Russia for the rapid detox with the medically induced coma did not help, and probably made things worse and risked her father's life.

There are lots of reasons why a taper or microtaper might not work or be very difficult--not getting stabilized first, not a high enough starting dose, to rapid of a taper, improperly prepared benzo, not giving it enough of a chance, etc.

think Peterson and his family did the best that they could under the circumstances.  When I read horrible things that other people went through I get angry that better information wasn't available.  And tt makes me especially glad that I discovered this website.

Yes, confuseduser, I would like to know what was meant by the statements about tapering and microtapering not working for JP. If the expectations were that he would feel good quickly, or that it would be easy or smooth, then it could have been the expectations that were problematic, not the tapering style. We all know that this can take time -- a lot of time -- for some of us. If he felt pressured to get back on the road and back to "normal life" quickly, then he may have been looking for a magic way out, a quick fix. Maybe someone promised that. We just don't know. And Mikhaila's video doesn't clarify those details.

It's really, really sad that things have turned out the way they have. I'm just hoping he's coming along and getting stronger as the days go by.

Here are a couple more articles on Jordan Peterson's situation, both from the UK -- one from The Daily Mail and one from The Telegraph:

"Martyr for free speech: Jordan Peterson is the professor vilified by the Left for his crusade against political correctness. Now he's seriously ill, his close friend DOUGLAS MURRAY reveals the very high price he's paid"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8008279/Jordan-Peterson-vilified-crusade-against-political-correctness-seriously-ill.html

"Meet the Petersons: The controversial family plagued by ill health"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/life/meet-petersons-controversial-family-plagued-health/

Yes, confuseduser, I would like to know what was meant by the statements about tapering and microtapering not working for JP. If the expectations were that he would feel good quickly, or that it would be easy or smooth, then it could have been the expectations that were problematic, not the tapering style. We all know that this can take time -- a lot of time -- for some of us. If he felt pressured to get back on the road and back to "normal life" quickly, then he may have been looking for a magic way out, a quick fix. Maybe someone promised that. We just don't know. And Mikhaila's video doesn't clarify those details.

That's exactly what I have been thinking. The realization that benzos can cause severe, long term neurological issues is quite a slap in the face to anyone. It's a tough pill for anyone to swallow, but being in a position where you your extremely lucrative career is in serious jeopardy would complicate things. It isn't much of a stretch to think that JP's camp might have been cherry picking the information they were getting because they were desperate to believe that there was an easy way out. 

That's exactly what I have been thinking. The realization that benzos can cause severe, long term neurological issues is quite a slap in the face to anyone. It's a tough pill for anyone to swallow, but being in a position where you your extremely lucrative career is in serious jeopardy would complicate things. It isn't much of a stretch to think that JP's camp might have been cherry picking the information they were getting because they were desperate to believe that there was an easy way out.

It really makes me sad. I would never want to live my life in the public eye, especially when sick. Having a too-public life affects all kinds of things and, in this case, it may have led to some very bad decisions.

I hope he's being protected from seeing some of the horrible things that have been written. Seeing all of that won't help him get well. The man needs a break from public life, it seems, but time will tell if he gets it.

The underlying current flowing underneath this tragic account, is the thought that there is a prescribed class of medications out there, that the public needs to be more educated on, but are not.

My thought as to why most people refuse to even consider what those of us who have been seriously injured by them are saying, is definitely subjective…...

Like the Peterson family, I lacked accurate information not too long ago. And I have to admit, if I even had the truth of the matter as regards the lethal potential of these drugs blasted at me, I’m not sure I would have listened/heard it.

I will not deny that I was obviously conditioned to believe and trust that a “simple” sleeping pill would/could NEVER hurt me.

Even at this point in time with the information superhighway buzzing 24/7, it’s not difficult to fathom people cherry picking what they want to believe…..and all along be picking sour cherries.

Trust is really at the heart of most peoples decisions. Without trust life can feel hopeless. JP has to trust something.....and while in a benzo nightmare, stupor, trust is critical. It's always critical...but trust during a health crisis of this nature is really put to the test at all levels. And sadly, we might find out our trust was misplaced.

In my case it was definitely misplaced. The odds of misplaced trust is always a possibility...even with today's current information glut at our finger tips. That is just the reality of it. Knowing the truth of these drugs is like a double-edged sword.

Like the Peterson family, I lacked accurate information not too long ago. And I have to admit, if I even had the truth of the matter as regards the lethal potential of these drugs blasted at me, I’m not sure I would have listened/heard it.

I will not deny that I was obviously conditioned to believe and trust that a “simple” sleeping pill would/could NEVER hurt me.

The idea that a "safe" class of drugs can responsible for untold suffering while the medical community is in denial as to the damage it can cause is a pretty big stretch for most people. Our conditioning runs deep.

No one wants to face a profound, ugly truth that makes you question the very foundation of trust we have in our government and health authorities. Once you go down that rabbit hole there is no going back.

The idea that a "safe" class of drugs can responsible for untold suffering while the medical community is in denial as to the damage it can cause is a pretty big stretch for most people. Our conditioning runs deep.

No one wants to face a profound, ugly truth that makes you question the very foundation of trust we have in our government and health authorities. Once you go down that rabbit hole there is no going back.

One thing is for sure and people can question this if they choose....a big change is soon to occur and it is right around the corner. A change for the better. :)

But until then, I hope that JP and anyone going through this benzo ordeal, makes it through in one piece. It is such a lonely and misunderstood journey. I would like to hear what JP is thinking right now.

Currently, I don't have enough information on his situation to know what to even think....for all we know he wants to stay on a low dose indefinitely. Some people do stay on them although knowing their potential. Hard to believe, but true. Who knows, maybe I would have stayed on them if I felt like I would die getting off of them. But the thing that scares me the most about these drugs is that they change our personalities...and to get that person back takes a long time once off the drugs.

Granted, our personalities are always changing drugs or not. But I can't stand the fact that it has taken so long to feel like a human being once again. If I think about it too long I begin feeling like I'm detached from this world.

The brain is capable of healing and I aim to continue helping it achieve full recovery...so I live my life to the best of my abilities/strength as I did before this brain injury. It is a lot of work...but I do feel it is paying off with each passing year out from my last benzo. It is true the saying...if you don't use it you will lose it.

Granted we have our limitations...and it would be foolish to push beyond one's limits and end up worse off. But even at my worst while in benzo hysteria, I maintained some semblance of my former self. Thinking about it is difficult...given so few believe it even happened to me. Well, it happened, and I will never forget it. They might, but I will never forget.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/epgb37/what-drug-experts-say-about-jordan-petersons-benzo-dependence

"Drug Experts on Jordan Peterson Seeking Treatment in Russia for Benzo Dependence"

"Peterson’s daughter said doctors in the West didn't have “the guts” to medically detox her father. But experts say that’s a misleading narrative.

While revealing that her famous father is physically dependent on benzodiazepines, Jordan Peterson’s daughter Mikhaila delivered a stinging rebuke of doctors in “the West.” But drug policy experts say some of her claims are dangerous and don’t appear to be evidence-based.

."

"Dangerous and don't appear to be evidence based" that kinda sums up the Peterson family narratives, imo.

His daughter wrote on her twitter: "More information on the staggering and hidden dangers of benzodiazepines--Valium and it's sister drugs," and included this link from https://www.benzowarrior.com/benzo-warrior-blog/2020/2/13/dr-jordan-peterson-youre-not-an-addict-and-we-need-your-help.  She recently posted a picture of her father on her instagram.  He was haggard and stared at the camera lifelessly appearing shellshocked as though he had been labotomized.

There is a cognitive dissonance between her providing links to various benzo information organizations and her subjecting her father to a treatment that all of them would advise against.  By her own description they took him to Russia to do a benzo cold turkey detox with a medically induced coma--which no place in North America would do.  She described him almost dying several times.  Yes they got him off Benzos, but he could wind up in protracted withdrawal after that treatment.

Here is a link to the most recent video from Feb 16, 2020 where she discusses it: