Jordan Peterson's year of 'absolute hell': Professor forced to retreat....

[co...]

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [La...]

• [Fl...]

• [id...]

• [Fi...]

Top Posters In This Topic

[61...]

I believe it will take someone very famous to be brutally honest about this like his children are having to be.  Hang in there peeps it is hard.  But we can and will heal!  I have to believe it's all I got left!

B

There's also this article:

https://theprovince.com/news/jordan-petersons-year-of-absolute-hell-professor-forced-to-retreat-from-public-life-because-of-tranquilizer-addiction/wcm/57f2ad42-9efd-4999-874c-74d81820810c 

"Jordan Peterson's year of 'absolute hell': Professor forced to retreat from public life because of addiction"

"The controversial author and professor is recovering from addiction to tranquilizers and near-death in Russia, his family says"

Jordan was also taking an SSRI & Welbutrin for depression and had been for a long time.

With his stance on advocating people taking antidepressants for depression, I can see why he sucked into taking benzos. (I guess we all got sucked in) 

Jordan Peterson: "I take antidepressants & will forever” (2012)

Jordan Peterson's opinion on Antidepressants

Apr 10, 2017

Jordan Peterson - Advice For People With Depression

Oct 17, 2017

Jordan Peterson on depression

Jul 16, 2018

In the fall, they reported that he had enter detox and was doing better. I knew that they had just put him back on benzos then. Now the truth is coming out. It's not that simple to heal from this, to just enter detox and be better, unless you get put back on the meds. I hope he does get better and he does bring some truth to the world.

In the fall, they reported that he had enter detox and was doing better. I knew that they had just put him back on benzos then. Now the truth is coming out. It's not that simple to heal from this, to just enter detox and be better, unless you get put back on the meds. I hope he does get better and he does bring some truth to the world.

Yes, he must have reinstated like most people who go to detox clinics do afterwards.

Through out the years since becoming dependent on benzos I've been going through certain levels of hell. I tried to spread awareness about this condition to the best of my ability and it hasn't been easy. I've gotten family and friends to be aware but they don't seem to grasp how bad it really is. If I say it's worse than something else it upsets people. If I say it causes brain damage someone will say that so does alcohol for example. I sent this article to a friend and that was his response. Showed a minute of the video of mikhaila peterson explaining what happened to her father to my dad and he got angry at me and said that I need to move on with my life and forget about benzo WD. It's impossible or extremely difficult to convince people about how bad this really is because if you try to you sound crazy and no one wants to listen to crazy.

Here are two other articles on Jordan Peterson's condition -- one from the CBC and one from the Toronto Star, although the one from the Star appears partly inaccessible now due to a paywall. I was able to read the full article my cell phone last night, though.

When his daughter says that her dad's withdrawal is the worst she's ever heard or read about, it means she hasn't looked very far. Many of us have been through hell and continue to be very debilitated, non-functional, housebound or otherwise extremely compromised.

Having come across these articles last night when scrolling through my phone, I found myself very upset. I don't wish this crap on anyone. And I really dislike seeing the flagrant use of the word "addiction", when we all know that it may not be that at all. It's just as likely that Jordan Peterson took his medication "as prescribed" and ended up with these severe reactions because that's exactly what these medications can do to people. They don't discriminate. There are physiological changes that go on in the body when we take psychiatric medications, including benzodiazepines, antidepressants (which he was apparently taking as well), anti-psychotics, etc. While it seems the details of what actually took place in the various North American hospitals he attended are not divulged here, the bottom line, as we all know too well, is that getting off benzos takes time -- sometimes waaaaay more time than anyone previously thought necessary. And the recovery time is a big unknown.

CBC Radio's 11 p.m. news gave a brief report on this story last night, although I haven't heard it on the news this morning. I'm wondering whether JP's story might give rise to other coverage. Time will tell. Maybe, maybe, maybe a larger conversation will begin.

One other thing to keep in mind: This man has bags of money and a Ph.D. in psychology. He teaches (or taught) at a well-known university here in Canada. The fact that he was not able to find any magically wonderful treatment at any of the North American healthcare institutions he attended reflects the fact that there aren't likely any magic bullets out there. It sounds like he was given other medications to try to treat the reactions to the previous medications. Yes, well, that can be problematic, because, of course, all medications can have unwanted "side effects". The body might just need something other than another pharmaceutical to help heal from the effects of a pharmaceutical. Vicious cycle.

Jordan Peterson seeks 'emergency' drug detox treatment in Russia

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/jordan-peterson-treatment-russia-1.5456939

‘He nearly died several times:’ controversial academic Jordan Peterson seeks to recover from addiction

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/02/07/he-nearly-died-several-times-controversial-academic-jordan-peterson-seeks-to-recover-from-addiction.html 

[61...]

The video states he tried to reinstate and taper but failed.  He then CT'd and is suffering from CT withdrawals.  It is a horrible experience I can say that.  I wish him well.  Bless him and his family.

✌️💜

B

How did they treat him in Russia that was so miraculous?

I didn't get the idea that there was anything miraculous done anywhere, including Russia. He's still in rough shape, according to his daughter. She said he can't walk or type, at this point.

He may be off the benzodiazepine, but healing can take awhile. If he's been on and off and on and off multiple psychiatric (and, possibly, other) meds in the last few months, then that's a lot for the brain to deal with.

Here's a quotation from the CBC article I posted above:

"The decision to bring him to Russia was made in extreme desperation, when we couldn't find any better option," his daughter said, referencing "several" failed treatment attempts in North American hospitals, where doctors tried to slowly taper Peterson off the medication. The nature of the therapy that Peterson has been receiving in Moscow isn't clear. And his daughter declined to provide more details when contacted by CBC News.

"My family has put a stop to any more information," she wrote. "When dad's ready, he'll start talking about details."

Dr. Michael Krausz, the director of addiction psychiatry at the University of British Columbia's Institute of Mental Health, says the treatment for benzodiazepine addiction is difficult, regardless of where it takes place.

"They always have the same of amount unpleasant side-effects," he said. "You would taper down ...You would reduce the dose from two to four weeks until people are abstinent."

Still, he wonders about what might be on offer in Russia.

"I'm not aware of any superior, or any say, evidence-based ultra-rapid programs," he said.

He was put in an induced coma. I think they use high doses of barbiturates to induce a coma. That probably made things worse.

His daughter is using words like "micro tapering", "paradoxical reaction", "akathisia" which makes me think they are at least somewhat aware of the Ashton manual and maybe even benzo buddies or at least have some exposure to the good benzo info.  She says she knew how to do her own research.

He still has a long recovery road especially if he's on anti-seizure medications. Those could as well be Russian benzos (they have their own benzos in Russia, like Phenazepam).

I only hope his ordeal will start a more constructive benzo epidemic discussion. I hate that they're still calling it addiction in the media.

If I say it causes brain damage someone will say that so does alcohol for example.

Of course it does. The only difference is that brain damage from alcohol is widely acknowledged.

The show by Lisa Ling is by far the hardest hitting piece of media coverage we have to date. If someone can't be convinced that there is a serious issue with these drugs after watching that, nothing is going to convince them.

His daughter is using words like "micro tapering", "paradoxical reaction", "akathisia" which makes me think they are at least somewhat aware of the Ashton manual and maybe even benzo buddies or at least have some exposure to the good benzo info.  She says she knew how to do her own research.

I would say that there is a fair chance that Mikhaila is reading these threads, although I would think that if people in JP's camp had truly spent any amount of time on BB that they would have known that there is no easy way out of this and he wouldn't have been shipped off to Russia for whatever hoodoo voodoo they put him through.

If Jordan or Mikhaila or anyone from his camp is reading this, I just want to say that I have a lot of respect for JP for not backing down to society's bullies and I truly hope this is a short-lived issue for him. I wouldn't wish my situation on my worst enemy.

I agree with you, FloridaGuy. I cannot imagine being in a foreign country during the worst of my benzo withdrawal. I did spend a week in an ICU, though. They kept me hooked up to monitors while I was having akathisia -- it was torture. They ended up giving benzos and z-drugs to me in the ICU (to keep me still for MRIs and stuff). So yeah, being in a hospital for a benzo withdrawal is a BAD idea.

I respect JP and his family for bravely going public with this.

I agree with you, FloridaGuy. I cannot imagine being in a foreign country during the worst of my benzo withdrawal. I did spend a week in an ICU, though. They kept me hooked up to monitors while I was having akathisia -- it was torture. They ended up giving benzos and z-drugs to me in the ICU (to keep me still for MRIs and stuff). So yeah, being in a hospital for a benzo withdrawal is a BAD idea.

One thing JP has going for him that a lot of us don't have is a big pile of money that probably allows him the ability to avoid a lot of stress and discomfort that many of us would have to face in similar circumstances. Flying to Russia might not be so bad if you have the ability to charter a private jet  :)

Can I suggest that as many ppl as possible o me t on articles and under the Youtube video. A lot of ppl will watch the YT video and it is a good place to make it clear this is not rare and how severe it can be.

My guess is that JP and his family thought that going into a rehabilitation centre (which he did at the beginning) would have solved the issue quickly. It just seems to me that no one did any research into what can go on with benzos. Trying to get off a benzo quickly while being monitored day and night puts a lot of pressure on someone to get well fast. As we all know, that's not what happens in all cases. Some people need to take months to get off these meds, and if people are being constantly given other drugs to try to counteract each and every symptom, then perhaps that's why JP ended up going from one centre to another, searching for yet a better solution -- one that would somehow make him feel better fast.

A hospital is the last place I'd want to be.

One thing JP has going for him that a lot of us don't have is a big pile of money that probably allows him the ability to avoid a lot of stress and discomfort that many of us would have to face in similar circumstances. Flying to Russia might not be so bad if you have the ability to charter a private jet  :)

Well, that's true. Being a high-profile patient is probably different from my "shut up and take Xanax, we need to do MRIs on other patients" experience. I also spent 12 hours on a gurney in the corridor of the hospital because they didn't have any room vacancies. NIGHTMARE.